Options

Conwy Half Marathon

Comments

• Options

I agree that 5000 is too many - the entire quay area would have to be covered in portaloos! They'd have to close Conwy off to all non-runners cos there simply wouldn't be room for them. And are there enough public transport links on a Sunday into Conwy to bring everyone in because I'm pretty sure there aren't enough car parking spaces.

I can understand the ambition, but I'm sure it would be more sensible to aim for smaller yearly increases in the number of entrants - not an instant five-fold increase.

• Options
    I would say a thousand is more than enough!
  • Options
    Does anyone know where and when the pics/videos will be avaialble ?
  • Options

Pics are here:-

Photos

It's good cos you can search on race number.

I've not got round to checking the video thing yet.

• Options
    Just tried it and forgot to mention to click on the Road Running tab.
  • Options
    Oh blimey, having a look on the pics above, I am runner 943, my pics, espcially the third one looks as if I am a cross between a gorilla and someone trying to pass the biggest gall stone in history
  • Options

got to say a big thanks to all on the day. This was my first run let alone my first half marathon and what a way to start. Will definitely enter next year a s long as the numbers don't go up too much. There was a bit of commotion at the beginning that slowed us down and was very difificult to get past people.(and for those wondering I did use my manners and in most cases gave way to others) Obviously this was a PB for me but didn't like the que at the end for T shirts and medals , after 13 miles the legs stiffened up quite quick

• Options
    Have heard that County Council are supportive of 5000 runners. I can't see it myself in Conwy. The same guys are organising the Llandudno 10 miler next May
    http://www.llandudno10.co.uk/home.html
    with a field of 5000. If they can pull that one off I might change my mind about entering again next year. Just find it hard to envisage anywhere in Conwy that could start so many runners. Somehow The Llandudno Junction Half Marathon doesn't have the right ring!!
  • Options
    John - your pics are a scream! Why are you hurling abuse at your Garmin? It can only tell you the information received. If you got a bad time, it's not the Garmin's fault! image
  • Options
    LoA - I agree. Conwy's too small. I think even Llandudno would struggle unless they closed the roads. And I'm sure I remember a rumour circulating a few years ago that the reason the Llandudno 10 ceased to be was due to complaints from the locals about the disruption. (Not sure how true that is BTW.)
  • Options
    Poorly feet, I know sad isn't it, only thing is I got 1.37 and knocked 10 mins off my PB, I thought I was running comfortably, goodness knows what I look like when I'm struggling.
  • Options

Jeepers John - if that's how cross you look when you get 1:37, remind me to give you a wide berth if you ever take 2 hours image

That's a cracking new PB by the way - well done image

• Options
    Sad thing is, I was absolutely chuffed, bouncing with that time, was aiming for sub 1.50 odd.  I'm too nice to do cross, people just laugh and point image
  • Options
    Hi guys, we have a meeting with conwy cc tomorrow and we will only increase the race if it is safe and logistically possible, yes conwy would have to be shut to traffic and the course moved to the coast road, arriva would need to put on extra transport if this is possible then we would go ahead with 5,000 the start finish would move into the front of the castle, an email will be sent out with update soon, also check out info on our new website from mid December. thanks
  • Options
    John Richards wrote (see)
    Oh blimey, having a look on the pics above, I am runner 943, my pics, espcially the third one looks as if I am a cross between a gorilla and someone trying to pass the biggest gall stone in history
    You think your pics are bad John .... I should have learn't by now not to look at them after a race but if you want a giggle have a look at mine. I'm number 958 and on some I appear to have turned into a waxwork dummy and on the finish line ones I'm not sure what's going on with my mouth, maybe I'm catching files, that or I've just been shot image You'll also notice Bruce have a good larf at me !
  • Options

Hope you were all happy with your times. Just got back from 4 days in Wales. I had one of my worst races ever! I was half an hour slower than normal. My bad back just came back big time. Thought I'd got rid of it as it was fine doing 2 marathons within 7 days of each other in Sept, with no back problems.

But I did love the race. Great views all the way round. image

That was quite a time Flip Flop. image 

My only gripe was returning to the baggage area straight after I finished to find the waggon abandoned & my bags missing. I found them thrown in the road for any member of public to take, with no marshal attending them. When I eventually got back to my car after prizegiving I found the small bag I had shoved in the top of my main bag, with my phone in, was missing. I am lucky my purse, car keys & camera was still there. NOT impressed. I'm contacting the organiser to tell them, as I think if you leave stuff in a secure baggage area, it should remain there until the race is over, not have your possessions thrown in the street. image

• Options

This was also my worst race in terms of time. Going fine until i reached the orme then throbbing pain in my knee gradually got just worse and worse all the way up. Ended up walking pretty much all of the last 5 miles.

Have since been diagnosed with ITB and will have to suffer and be frustrated with having to rest. 

However, I did enjoy this race  despite having the same criticism over the finish area.

• Options

BB ..... Sorry to hear things didn't work out for you but glad to see you still enjoyed the race. So what's the plan with the back ?

It's a real poor show that your bag was just discarded like that and as WK said my only criticism of the whole day was the finish area. That really would need sorting out for next year and if the numbers are upped to anything like 5,000 next year I can't see me doing it. IMHO 1,000 is just about right for that route.

WK ..... Never had a problem with ITB but hopefully rest will sort it out. I think I've heard other runners advise the use of a foam roller may help but don't take this as gospel as my memory can often confuse me image

• Options
    Really angry the organiser has lied through his teeth saying I must have finished outside THREE HOURS TEN, as all bags were on the waggon before then. This is a total lie. I finished within 3 hours & my bags were dumped in the middle of the street, unattended, with items missing. I DO NOT LIKE LIARS. image image image Not letting this one go. image
  • Options
    Hmmmm BB I can understand your frustration but don't really see what you can do about it as all baggage is left at your own risk - surely to leave your purse, keys & camera was a little risky?  You're right, you were lucky not to lose them.   I cannot imagine what happend here - I'm sure your kit would not have been dumped on purpose. 
  • Options

FFM - yeah I've heard others on here mentioning a foam roller, may have to look into to and give it a go. I'm already getting impatient and iv only been resting 3 days, lol.

• Options
    Tigerlily, The bag wasn't taken from the baggage area. It was dumped unattended in the street. There's a hell of a difference. It was clearly dumped on purpose. They wanted to clear the waggon before the race was over. How can bags "accidently" be removed from a secure baggage area waggon & left unattended in the street?
  • Options
    I'm with you on this one BB , it's UNACCEPTABLE !
  • Options
    your bag was with a marshal when the wagon moved and the marshal spoke to you as you grabbed it and walked off, if no one claims luggage we put it in our van for safe keeping, you crossed the line 6 seconds before shut off and obviously arrived at baggage claim after 3pm, we are sorry if you lost something but we are not security guards. we had a runner come in after 4.5 hrs and we were still there to give him a medal. not sure what you are claiming?!
  • Options
    oh and bright bimbler you said in your email you would not slate the race in RW ratings, everyone take a look and see who tells the truth.
    We will not Comment on tjis matter any further but as it was made public we thought we would have our say, thanks to all those for the feedback and constructive emails.
  • Options
    oh and something else, the bimbler spoke to me at the end of the presentation knowing i was the race director after having been on the stage with the mayoress and never mentioned it to me, it is hard enough putting on a race without people like this bimbler making up stories and she even slated the scenery, ODD!
    I shouldnt let people like this get to me but after all the hard work put in its hard not to.
  • Options
    Chris it was a great race you'll always get people who complain dont worry about it
  • Options
    Roll on next year
  • Options

Chris York, you are a complete & utter LIAR. I spoke to NO marshal. I never saw the waggon move. I most certainly didn't grab my bag off a marshal & walk off.

My belongings were abandoned WITHIN the 3 hour time limit, & you are a total liar.

I am claiming my belongings were dumped in the street , unattended. They were NOT in your van for "safe keeping". And  I was NOT outside 3 hours & did NOT come to collect my bag after this time.  You have also lied in emails to me about you being by the wagon at 3 hrs 10. You were at prize giving at this time.

I have already told you THREE times, that when I was telling you how great the race was at prize giving, that was BEFORE I had gone back to my car to find a small bag that was inside my main bag was missing.

I have said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in any email to you about not writing a review on here. Such a thing was NEVER mentioned. I  am perfectly entitled to write a review & make my rating. It's called FREEDOM OF SPEECH. You are a COMPULSIVE LIAR!

Official complaint on its way to Conwy Council & your sponsors.

Mugpunter, shut the f***k up. What the HELL would you know about ANY of this you moron.

• Options

My email sent in response to Chris Yorks lies........

And how exactly can you personally confirm there was a marshal on the waggon at 3 hrs 10, when you were in the Civic Hall at 3 hrs FIVE??

That waggon was empty of all bags, with screens pulled across, BEFORE the 3 hours.

It is highly unlikely my bag would have gone missing had it been kept on that waggon, attended by a marshal.

I strongly object to you fobbing me off, basically saying I did what would be a disqualification time.  I did not.  Is this all the RESPECT you have for the runners coming in near the end of your race, within the time limit??   Throw their belongings into the street, unattended, BEFORE the 3 hour deadline, then falsely accuse them of doing a disqualification time?

Did you throw the WINNERS belongings into the street unattended, & give them a t-shirt that didn't fit??  No? So why treat slower runners in this way?

Have you even asked the marshal if he's found my bag?

You said at the end of prizegiving to let you know if we had any feedback or complaints. I have made two complaints. One you have told lies about, & the other (only massive t-shirts left) you have ignored. I ordered a medium t-shirt.  As a 5 ft 3 female, just what use do you think a massive extra large one is to me?  I've had to give it away.

Yet another example of lack of RESPECT for those finishing near the end, BUT NOT OUTSIDE 3 HOURS, of your race.

I see you are planning on extending the race next year to allow many more entrants. I'd suggest you sort out the existing problems before trying to line your pockets getting more people to enter. If you refuse to deal with my complaints, I shall pass them onto whoever you hope will be granting you permission to extend this race.