Options

Photograph advice

We are in a minor dispute with a photographer about some shots they took for us and they have offered us a "full file resolution disc" with the photos' on. What exactly is that, would we be able to tweak the images in that format?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    All the photos taken on a disc and before editing any. I couldn't tell you if you could 'tweak' them though. I think the images can be 'locked' but that would defeat the point of handing over all the images. Sorry i can't be of any more help.image
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Why not just ask them what they mean?
  • Options
    I would have though that full file resolution means the full image.  For example, if taken on a 12 mega pixal camera set to highest resolution, each image would be around 5-6 mega bites, rather than thumbnails or web images which are smaller in file size so lower quality for printing.  So good enough to print up.  I'm sure you'll be able to edit them too.
  • Options
    As a photographer, if I give someone full resolution images it's with a caveat. They'd get photos at whatever resolution they were taken at (12MP in my case), probably post-processed unless otherwise agreed. I wouldn't give you the digital negatives unless the agreement stipulated that, in which case my fees would be higher.

You would not have copyright over those images, so you would not be able to re-sell or use those images in your own projects (competitions, magazines, books, web, etc) without prior written consent. Would you be able to tweak them? Yes. Would that be within the boundaries of our agreement, maybe.

You need to check this with your photographer, though. As you're in dispute I would expect the photographer to be very specific about which rights he's granting you.
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your answers, I did ask what they meant on a previous email Womble and that was the answer the came back to me with, I just wanted to know what I was responding to when I got back to them and not look clueless image

As I said it's only a minor dispute so all is friendly! They are only personal photos so no major worries re copyright.

Thanks