Things you want to say but can't

Comments

• No, we can't provide Imperial measurements, Britain decided to go metric  50 years ago and it is about fucking time you caught up. I bet you voted for Brexit, too. Twat.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I can convert Imperial measurements into metric and vice versa. It's easy. 25.4mm = 1 inch. All distances can be calculated from that.
    Unless of course you are ignorant and probably has serious, issues.
    Out of curiosity, what exactly do those who voted to remain in the EU know that those who voted out, didn't?
    As in, 'I know what remaining in the EU benefits me and me alone. Not you, me. I don't really care about what happens to you. It's how I personally benefit'. 
    That's the real narrative.
    In the meantime, the bigots alienate half the population and reduce their chances of success accordingly.

🙂

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    > @RicF said:
    > I can convert Imperial measurements into metric and vice versa. It's easy. 25.4mm = 1 inch. All distances can be calculated from that.
    > Unless of course you are ignorant and probably has serious, issues.
    > Out of curiosity, what exactly do those who voted to remain in the EU know that those who voted out, didn't?
    > As in, 'I know what remaining in the EU benefits me and me alone. Not you, me. I don't really care about what happens to you. It's how I personally benefit'. 
    > That's the real narrative.
    > In the meantime, the bigots alienate half the population and reduce their chances of success accordingly.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >  

Is there a reason why you hit Rtn so much at the end of your posts? Are you trying to obscure the previous post?
  • Not sure what you are saying Ric but it looks like some sort of generalisation to me. Personally I voted to remain in the EU because I think it benefits everybody. I also think that many those who voted to leave will suffer as a consequence of their choice while, In all  probability, my life will go on much as before. Which would be an amusing piece of irony if it wasn't so tragic.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Ynnec said:
    > @RicF said:
    > I can convert Imperial measurements into metric and vice versa. It's easy. 25.4mm = 1 inch. All distances can be calculated from that.
    > Unless of course you are ignorant and probably has serious, issues.
    > Out of curiosity, what exactly do those who voted to remain in the EU know that those who voted out, didn't?
    > As in, 'I know what remaining in the EU benefits me and me alone. Not you, me. I don't really care about what happens to you. It's how I personally benefit'. 
    > That's the real narrative.
    > In the meantime, the bigots alienate half the population and reduce their chances of success accordingly.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >  

Is there a reason why you hit Rtn so much at the end of your posts? Are you trying to obscure the previous post?
    Not at all.
    I write something, read it. Think no, and delete it.
    I can do that for ages.
    Sometimes I delete all of it.
    I assume the only thing left of those activities is the big space at the bottom of what might have been posted if I hadn't removed it.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The EU is a capitalist system, and that doesn't benefit everybody. If that's a generalisation, it happens to be true.
    It benefits more people than other systems which have been tried throughout history, but there's always someone who gets a raw deal (or thinks they do) somewhere. It's not a perfect system, but it's the one we have to live with.
    The telling point about this system and the whole Brexit business was the sheer stability of how things were/are. Nothing was going to change at a fundamental level anytime soon.
    Now if you've been bottom of the pile for 30 years it quite likely when some multi millionaire tells you, 'this is best for you', you're not going to believe them.
    Yes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, but not when the bird is a dead rancid duck.

🙂

• "Now if you've been bottom of the pile for 30 years it quite likely when some multi millionaire tells you, 'this is best for you', you're not going to believe them".

That would make logical sense. However, the problem is that what, in fact, happened was that some folk believed a lot of other multi-millionaires telling them that what was best for them was to vote leave...
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Sadly Screama, there's an awful lot of people who think that they would be successful (whatever that is?) if the basic conditions of life around them completely changed.
    I imagine that they think that out of the resulting chaos, they can somehow succeed where before they didn't.
    The reality is that some people succeed regardless. Others succeed on account of a set of circumstances falling in line with their 'wants' and 'skills'. And others will always fail.

I'm in the middle group. I succeeded despite my inadequacies. As did my parents. If we had to start again today, we'd fail miserably.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's a little worrying how this thread was 3rd on the clubhouse, yet no-one has made a post for over a week!

Talk about clubhouse being pretty much dead!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    "If we had to start again today, we'd fail miserably" - sounds like a rather pessimistic generalisation Ric!
    I doubt I'll be around long enough to witness the decline in the UK relative to the rest of Europe as the fall out and impacts will be slow and gradual, however my overriding feeling is that it's better to be inside a club (and have a strong voice within it) than standing around outside wondering what's going on.

You'll always get the "put upon" masses moaning about something, and how the moneyed always end up on top. There are obviously elements of truth in that, but it's an irrefutable fact that Global Capitalism has lifted literally billions, out of poverty.
    I'd rather be a below average earner in Monaco than a below average earner in the Congo.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Dustin, the 'we' I referred to was myself and my long gone parents.
    The conditions under which we managed to benefit do not exist any more. 
    My parents were Mr and Mrs 'ordinary people and employees'. They did as they were told by those in authority and believed them. They ended up solvent and had an ok retirement.
    If they started again under today's conditions, they'll be renting a flat and be up to their eyeballs in debt.

I'm in a slightly different position. I do a job which gives some people I've been unfortunate to come in contact with, the idea that I'm some sort of loser without a pot to piss in. Whereas they; on account of their ostentatious materialistic lifestyle are clearly superior. 

The reality is for three decades I spent all but essential spending on acquiring money generating assets, whereas they've spent all their 'extras' on servicing loans to finance consumer spending.

What they think I am, is what I know they are.
    Success in the modern world is solvency.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I reckon success is dying happy having enriched the lives of those around you. Who gives a shit about units of measurement, credit cards and geopolitical status.

• When you message a complete stranger with the words "hello my dear friend".  Really, does that EVER work? 
  • Men of Yorkshire - some of your brethren really let you down in the sanity stakes last night. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Would I like some advice? Sure! I'm always prepared to learn from the mistakes of others. Please, proceed.

🙂

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Um, no.  It isn't ok.  That rate is taking the piss, and by the time my tax bill lands it will not cover minimum wage.  
  • When somebody that you don't know makes an effort to apologise to you for their very, very minor little infraction against you it's better to accept that apology graciously in the manner it is intended, than to take that opportunity to continue moaning about it. That just makes you look like a whingeing dick and makes the other person wish they hadn't bothered apologising.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    How fucking much for a bag of fudge?!
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    As good a cause as it is, but that bloody awful cover of Bridge Over Troubled Water... Haven't people suffered enough?
    That Tony Walsh poem in the wake of the Manchester bombing as well. As much as it resonated amongst people in the heightened emotions, it's still piss poor greeting card level poetry.
  • Glad I wasn't the only one that didn't like the poem Too long for one thing.

How much was the fudge?
  • Wonder why Goofy deleted his last comment? 
  • Wonder why Goofy deleted his last comment? 
    Who's Goofy and what was his last comment?
  • Why do you advertise yourself as a walk in centre if you are "fully booked" for today? If you don't keep spaces free for walk in appointments then call yourself something else  :/
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    How much was the fudge?
    Nearly £9 for a bag. We were half way up the hill to Lincoln Cathedral, I'd promised fudge and so was in a compromised position. I said nothing at the till, but every fibre of my being was shouting "you thieving bastards".
  • I hope it had gold leaf in it!  :o
  • So, in response to the request for shorter, snappier meetings, they are now lasting 5 minutes longer. Okaay...  :/
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I need a wee. It's not up for debate. I can't be argued out of needing a wee. Company hierarchy holds no sway with my bladder. I go to the toilet or I piss on your office floor.
  • You have a very poor grasp of basic scientific facts. Your three years at university studying English literature seems to have given you no critical reasoning skills whatsoever.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I've been watching the news about the DUP payoff, flammable cladding, Brexit, Trump and I've sworn so much that I've made myself feel poorly.
  • Despite my best hopes I think this production is going to be slightly shit. Half the cast can't even sing in tune and nobody seems to care  :(