Bupa Great South Run 2010

Comments

• right that's it for me race wise until this. I got a sneaky place in run to the beat last weekend. Took 4 mins of my HM PB, so all looking good for GSR.

Do hope this is organised better than rttb, start and finish area was a shambles, too small an area for that amount of people, hoping that because we have the whole common shouldn't be cramped.

I'm still dithering over transport, train or drive? park in town or out? and now you've gone and put gosport in the mix. I'll probably do my usual and leave it to the last minute and see how i feel then.
  • Right no VLM place so really focusing on this one being by big race experience for a while!!  (well i will count brighton...when that arrives...)

3 weeks and counting..anyone getting coach from london euston on the morning?

• Hi

I have a place and cant go now to the event.  Not sure if its allowed but if anyone wants my number please drop me a message.  I have tried to contact the organisers but no replies as if transfer is ok.

I wish I could go but alas not meant to be this year.

• A friend of mine was really hoping to do this race with me and would love to buy your place. Is it still available?
  • Hi Anna

it is still available, you can have it if you want for your friend with my best wishes.  I cant see how to send you a private message, so if you can message me that would be great.  

Am so disappointed cant go, but hate for the place to be wasted, so is it can be used that would be fab. image 

• I glad I do my favourite race there.Hopefully those in the crowds are staying behind the barriers this year! not like last year peopple rush across.
  • K8greene : will be good to see you again.

Mr K, are you stalking me????

Returning to do this one again 4th year on the trot, looking to get my revenge on Iwan Thomas for pipping me at the post last year

• If anyone know anyone who cannot make it this year; I'd love to purchase their place for the run. I know I should have applied earlier but was not into running until recently and its all I want to do now (doing the Gosport Half).

If there is a place, please mail me and I will contact the officials and discuss options!!!

Thanks guys.............

Rich

• Yay got my number today!!

Been moved up a zone to white (2nd zone) so happy with that.  12409, 4th GSR.  Really enjoy this one, even the 2 mile into wind at the end!!

• Richard, I may be able to help but you don't have your messaging activated??
  • Hi all, hope someone here can help me! find the offical great south run site useless for getting basic info, I've just got my race pack and it mentions three time zones, orange, white and green - my wave colour is white with yellow stripes???number 372, no idea what that means, my start time is the same as the orange, 10.54, I'm hoping to do it in under 64min (I'm a girl) so does this mean I'm in the orange or white? hope someone can help me, thank you in advance! ; )
  • My number 12455 in white.2 Weeks to go .For me its easy peasy for me.
  • quickie question wonder if anyone knows the answer.

Pack arrived today, but I cant go unfortunately.  Is it 'ok' to pass on to someone else who can? and what about the timing chip, cause it says theres a charge if its not returned. ?  thanks xx 

• Im sure you can do, got anyone in mind?

The organisers would prefer a full race I'm sure?

• Dizzy Deb.Its the rules part of England Athletics.You can NOT Pass your number because GSR still have your name reg with the event.You must called the Organiser to change the name first?
  • Yeah, if anyone does want to pass over their number to me then I'll do all the leg work and pay any admin fee to the organisers they will undoubtedly charge!

So I'm guessing you found someone already Deb?

• Hi,

Great Run appear to be very inflexible at this late stage, with regard to transfer of places.

My question to you, have you or anyone else you know, ever run this race on anothers number.............. what are the implications of doing this?

Great Run (when I mentioned I knew of others doing it) said they do not encourage it on safety grounds and its in the terms, has anyone got a copy??? Does it say, if caught you will be presented to a firing squad?

• In theory if you race in a number that isn't yours and you get caught then you can be banned from any of the major events in the UK.  That includes VLM as well as Great Run events, and anyone else that they share the information with.  However I've never known this to happen to anyone.

More importantly, if you collapse on the course and the race organisers have to identify you by your race number, then the wrong family members might be told that you are in hospital. This could have implications for you getting the wrong treatment (for example if the medical records of the registered owner don't state that you are diabetic or allergic to certain drugs) as well as being destressing for the families involved.

I'm not advocating it, but I do know of several people each year who do it.

All I ask is that if you are slower than the person you took the number from, then please start further back in the field that your allocated place.  Also bear in mind that if you are faster, you will not be allowed to start further forward, so expcet to be held up by slower runners and have the grace not to winge about it.

• Jam on Toast wrote (see)
    Hi all, hope someone here can help me! find the offical great south run site useless for getting basic info, I've just got my race pack and it mentions three time zones, orange, white and green - my wave colour is white with yellow stripes???number 372, no idea what that means, my start time is the same as the orange, 10.54, I'm hoping to do it in under 64min (I'm a girl) so does this mean I'm in the orange or white? hope someone can help me, thank you in advance! ; )

I think that might be an elite/good for age race number, which means that you start at the front, just behind the professional.

The orange wave will be right behind you, but as your wave will be small the start times will be the same.

• Thank you Supercaz! what kind of time are you aiming for? are you a club runner? know quite a few good female club runners called Caz here in Peterborough, interesting if you're one of them! thanks again!
  •   If anyone know anyone who cannot make it this year; I'd love to purchase their place for the run. Unfortunately I can't plann my recing callendar because of my job. I dont care about my name not beeing on the list, just wanted to feel the atmosphere of this event. I am hoping to run 10 miles in 60 mins although my girlfriend's birthday is night before image  

Thanks

Patryk

• SuperCaz, totally understand what you are saying. I'm not going to ruin anyones run or moan about slower runners. It will be a training run for my half marathon and to enjoy the day with the people I know who entered.

I'm not feeling good about it, as I wish I'd got it sorted before, but I will be there as I'm excited to do it more..........

Cheers

• Jam, I love the assumption that I am a fast runner!

I would like to get around in about 1 hr 45 min and will probably be at the back of the white wave (yet to receive race number, so not sure)  I am a club runner, but I am generally the slowest runner who races in my club.  Having said that the GSR brings out a lot of the beginners so I won't be the last from my club at this one.

I'm based in Portsmouth and my club provide the volunteers for the water stations, so I know the area and have been involved with either running or marshalling the GSR for about 5 years.

• Any ideas on latest I should expect race pack? Not received yet.

Cheers
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Not got my pack either but nothing to worry about as still got loads of time.

I did get an e-mail that my number was in the system and that if not received my Thursday 14th I should e-mail them.....

• Mr K also received similar email
  • I got an e-mail saying that the packs would be sent out over a number of days, and not to panic until next Thursday.

I guess it takes them a while to package up 18,000 (or however many) race numbers and chips.

• 2 weeks to go !!!!

for those that have done it before, what is your favourite and worst parts of the course ?

my least fav part is the bit around the docks with no crowd ! my fav part (aside from the finish straight) is winston churchill avenue, the long straight where u see runners on both sides image

Come on POMPEY !

• Favourite part, the bit where the sign says 1 mile to go!

Worse part, Winston Churchill Ave; I fell over there in 2008 and had a nose bleed on and off for the rest of the race.

This is my favourite mass participation raceimage