HELP! FRACTURED FOOT RECOVERY

Evening all, I am now six weeks into having a fractured foot (or third and fourth metatarsal, to be picky) and so will not be running for a while; therefore, I'm quite anxious to find an alternative cardio workout that doesn't put a lot of pressure on my foot whilst it is still healing.

I thought about swimming, any thoughts on this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help, I haven't fractured/broken/sprained anything before so it is quite strange for me to go from very active (horse-riding and running) to idle! image

Comments

• Try a gym and use the bikes there - dont ramp up the resistance too much but focus on keeping a decent cadence up.
    There shouldn't be too much pressure on the foot. When you feel up to it - try a cross trainer- bit more pressure but no impact.
    You should be able to work up quite a sweat like that.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    i was in the same boat last year roan. i broke my ankle during a fell race. have you had any physio? i found a wobble board great as part of my recovery and if really shoqed me how crap my natiral balance was! in addktion to that i used the cross country ski trainer at the gym for best cardio cos it is low impact. good luck!
  • no physio, apparently not needed?

any thoughts on the swimming idea?

thanks for the advice, i would not have considered those options as i'm not a gym person xx

• Swimming wouldnt have worked for me - OK i can swim - but I dont get the workout that I do from the gym.

I know what my heart rate is when I run and its possible for me to get those levels on the gym equipment. Not sure I could push myself that high in the water.

Wobble board is great for ankle leg injuries. Not sure how useful for a foot ?

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    I swim like a brick do didnt try it!!
    The wobble board was beneficial as it helped with recovery and strengthening of the foot and ankle in general. I was lucky as my work paid for a course of physio, I dont think I was even offered it on the NHS.
  • I am swimming with a stress fracture. I am using a pullbouy so that I don't kick. I tried without and it just hurt too much - silly idea.

Cycling, I cycle with proper shoes they keep my foot flat, so long as I don't try cycling up hill I find it ok. Just a slow plod. If you use the cycle at the gym I'd follow cougies advice, keep the resistance down. Certainly to begin with.

I can't use the cross trainer, that hurts.

I can tell you that I got a hell of a workout in the pool last night, I thought my muscles were going to pop out of my arms and I'd had a blow in the guts.

I'm doing core exercises as well, just trying to avoid putting too much stress through my foot.

I went to the physio who strapped my foot up to stop it flexing as I found any movement too painful. I now wear tubigrip and my old trainers with an orthotic inset which has got me walking about.

• hello guys, may i join this discussion?

I broke 3 metatarsals, approximately 3 weeks ago - I had an accident and broke them, so they aren't stress fractures.

Roan - can I ask what sort of treatment you're doc has suggested?  I was told to start walking on it after only two weeks, with this removable shoe cast thing (not an air cast, just a plaster one). So I have been, but its really painful!  How long was it before you were walking on yours?

I am seriously wanting to do some form of exercise now!  I was running approx 40 - 45 miles per week plus gym and cycling before this!

I would go to the gym I guess, but I can't drive, so another question for anyone with experience of this - how long before you could drive again?

Thanks a  lot.  And to those of you with pesky foot injuries - I wish you all the best and hope its getting better.x

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    staggered Start, is your character from Count Duckula?!
    All this talk of broken metatarsals makes it sound like the England football team!
  • Aye, I wish I had the England football team's medical team though!

Yes, it is indeed Nanny, from Count Duckula! image

• hi staggered start, sorry to hear about your foot image

i was put in an air cast, told i could take it off at night and when i wasn't walking on it, but to keep it on at all times. after 5 weeks i was told to try walking without the aircast at home ONLY but keep it on for another 2 weeks outside, and to try driving. the basic instructions being, try getting back to normal but if it hurts, stop.

i can walk better on it but still have a limp and my ankle is quite stiff where the aircast kept the entire ankle/foot still. i was on crutches with no weight at all on the foot for about 1-2 weeks, then over the next 3 weeks moved to one crutch and now none at all.

i would say, and you've broken 3, 2 weeks is far too soon. i only fractured 2 and i could NOT try walking without crutches after 2 weeks!!!!

hope there's enough detail there, trying to be helpful cos i had to keep asking my friend what stage my foot should be at as i've never done anything like this before!! not even a sprain!

totally empathise with the exercise. i've been doing ab exercises, weights, and now i can stand alone some pilates. overall i'd say you need to rest up really and not try anything strenuous; i hated hearing that, so i am sorry image !

hope you get better soon, and thanks to everyone's suggestions. xxx

• I was told 6 weeks, but it's been longer than that.

I found walking very hard for a long time, even now it can cause pain.

I don't think that I was careful enough to begin with on top of which I was taking brufen for pain relief, it was D2D that said don't so I looked it up on the net and found that pain relief lengthens recovery time esp brufen but paracetomol and aspirin are also suspect. So I went without pain relief.

Really and truely the only thing you can do is nothing.

• Thank you Roan - your reply is really helpful.  I'm thinking I should go back and get a second opinion as the consultant I saw seems to be a bit...relaxed about the whole thing, as if i should be walking around on it as much as i like.  I did try, as i didn't want to just be a wimp about it, and obviously I'm keen to get back on my feet,  but perhaps its not such a good idea right now judging by the pain!

I really hope it works out for you and you recover well - i know what you mean though, I'd never broken anything before either, so i have no clue about what its 'meant' to feel like as it heals.

Bikermouse - all the best to you, too.  Yup, one useful thing my consultant did say to me was not to take brufen, as it delays bone healing, apparently.  DIdn't know about paracetamol though. 

Take care all, xx

• Hi. I'm in week 7 of recovery after breaking my 5th metatarsal. I was not put in a cast but given a moon boot and told to use that when out and about. I had a check up 4 weeks after the initial diagnosis and was told there was no significant healing and to remain in the boot for another 2 weeks.
    I am now out of it and walking gingerly in Xcountry trainers (Merrells) 
    As a result of the boot I have a sote stiff weak ankle and very little mobility in the toes. I have a physio appointment on Monday but was looking for any advice on returning to training gently? I am a ultra distance walker and runner so being off my feet for 2 months is driving me mad! Ta in advance for any advice X
  • VV: I had broken same bone. Overall I was 6 weeks wearing the boot, didn't run for 10 weeks (incl. 6 in boot). First month of running was slow and short runs, gradually increasing distance /intensity. Did lots of ankle mobility exercises and cycling. 6 months later in finally back at full fitness, but still get slight ache in foot.