Return to running after elbow surgery?

2»

Comments

• Cheers scootz, am feeling much cheerier now, I think other life stuff was getting caught in the mix, which has now been sorted.

Hope work and then holiday goes well image

• Glad you're feeling a bit better, beebs.
  • Thanks Slugsta, even managed a few rows of knitting at Stitch and Bitch last night image
  • I'm now 3 weeks post surgery (Broken olecranon) and did my first run on Friday.  Still fels a bit odd as I can't bend the elbow past 90 degrees but managed a couple of miles and an admittedly pedestrian 4 miles today.  Enjoying being back but also relishing the excuse not to have to try too hard!
  • I'm impressed, NGF. 

My balance was totally off when I was in my sling, I can't imagine running, I struggled when walking in unfamiliar places. 

Signed off at Fracture Clinic today and handed back to be finished off by the physio. 

Xray showed really good healing, doc was pleased with my progress and felt it was better than he had predicted it to be, he hadn't wanted too depress me at 2 and 5 week appointments but wanted me to have realistic expectations. 

I have new exercises and a red band to help with strength work. The new exercises will work on the residual weakness which is causing me problems still but I will drive again. 

Physio said it was obvious that I had been very diligent with my exercises imageimage

Hope everyone else is making good progress.

• Woohoo beebs image. It's good to see that your hard work has paid off.
  • Slugsta image

I was just saying on another thread that the new exercises hurt but then so did all the others before I could do them image

• I broke my olecranon in 3 places on March 11 this year and now have wires and suchres holding it all together. I can't extend fully , about 20degrees, and can only bend elbow to 90 degrees. Managed 1st jog since accident, very lazy 10min/mile pace, yesterday and i'm very relieved to be back out there.

I'm doing stretching exercises on the elbow to increase flexibility. My question is how long does it take to get to a point where the elbow feels relatively normal to allow me to return to competitive running? I'm a 44min 10k runner who is planning a september marathon and hopefully some sprint track work over the summer. I would assume that the sprints may be a bit tricky with the elbow.

I'm seeing my physio on Friday who in the past has used interferential and ultrasound on soft tissue problems on my knee. Would this have any use on a fracture?

Hope you all have fully recovered from your injuries.

Oh yes i almost forgot - i fell off my folding bicycle due to a plastic bag on the handle bars jamming against my knee and spd's not clicking out in time. I think i was very lucky not to be in this years Darwin Awards image
  • Hi neil_p, nice accident - if it makes you feel better, I broke my olecranon waving at a friend and sliding out on my bike like a goon... maybe runners shouldn't ride bikes?

As to getting back into running, I think you do need to start slowly but the only real danger to your elbow is tripping up and taking a tumble - if you do push yourself too hard (i.e. when doing sprints) you will quickly get a warning throb from your arm, so just heed the warnings.

Competitive running? Hmmm, think it shouldn't be too long - I broke mine about 6-7 months ago and I'm practically back to as I was, even started a bit of rock climbing again (not quite ready for K2 yet though).

Good luck!
  • Hi Jim, Glad to hear your elbow has healed well and thanks for the advice. My natural instinct to get out there and try another run today but i think i should be careful as it is a little sore since yesterday and i don't want to slow the recovery down.

It's just so frustrating as i was running so well at the time of the accident and in week 11 of 12 week schedule for Fleet Half Marathon.

Mind you, there is always another race and i only have 1 body, at least no one has mentioned where a spare may be found! image

All the best!
  • Hi guys. I fractured the neck of my radius two weeks ago. I came off my bike. I haven't got a pot on just a sling. How long will it be before I can run again. You guys seem to say about 5-6 weeks? The pain is a lot less it's just when you forget and pick something up. I walked 3 miles yesterday - it did ache a bit afterwards.
  • I would imagine that you should be able to have a run after you have fully recovered. Then again, it depends on the wound...