Swashbuckler 2011 is open

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Doozer - are you going to be wearing a mankini or something then ?
  • TR wrote (see)

It was a bit parky on my bike early doors today, so I might need a few layers on !

Don't worry, by the time you & I are out of the swim it'll have warmed up nicely.  It's a cunning plan to avoid starting the bike leg cold as we're playing catch-up.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    so if I understand correctly there are Doozer/Rosey/CRAB/TR/CD doing this event - could be some sort of smackdown going on I reckon with the fast boys.....
  • TR - No wont be wearing a mankini but I will be on the bike a lot earlier than you and the windchill will be a lot higher as I will be quicker on the bike image

FB - not much of a smackdown for me - come down with a bit of a cold this week!   I dont think I can be classed in the same company as some of the above mentioned people.

Dooze - getting the excuses in early I see.... image

have a good race all the same
  • At least my bike is in one piece - for now lol.
  • This time last year I was absolutely bricking this race, my first non-sprint distance tri.

This year I'm barely thinking about packing... haven't sorted accommodation...haven't bought my energy supplies yet...am toying with trying to find some new goggles with a tint so I can see where the hell I am going in the swim so I don't beach on the far bank like last time...wondering about a new wetsuit...

I'm either much better trained this year or in for one hell of a shock... and as Pirates don't train...

• Gladys (still grumbling!) wrote (see)
     and as Pirates don't train...
    Speak for yourself - I havent just come back from Fudge Packers for nothing
  • Doozer. wrote (see)

TR - No wont be wearing a mankini but I will be on the bike a lot earlier than you and the windchill will be a lot higher as I will be quicker on the bike image

Yebbut TR can run a bit, y'know.

Gladys, get yourself some of those Zoggs Predator Polarised jobs.  I'm thinking of getting some myself and I'd like someone else to try them first.

• I know he can Dave - if he goes the right way, but he cant swim lol
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Dave, we're all raving about the Zoggs Predator Polarised Jobs.  They're fab image  In fact, they are so good we might even be able to see where we're going into a sunrise when we're swashing our buckles on Sunday.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Flippin eck  don’t include my name with the special (pirate) ones – although I have taken my wheels with the on wheel reflectors off my grifter and put some semi-proper wheels on it, might leave the shopping basket on for my gels though !

CD/Doozer – ha ha, I see now. The extra 20 mins in the sea will see the air  temperature rise a few degrees. I don’t remember getting lost on the run in this race last yr though so start looking over your shoulder if you start walking the run Dooze. I even gave you a chance in Sept by doing an extra little run loop but you never took it.

I did 4:59 with something like 75% placing in the swim, 30% on the bike and 4% on the run last yr. I’d like to see a more even spread this time, and a better finishing time (but its current dependent really). I can ride my grifter a bit faster and can swim a bit better (in the lido) but I can feel the OW anxiety rising already, so I’ll stick to my foggy goggles as I don’t want to see the man eating sand eels/bogey mermaid !

• Doozer. wrote (see)
    I know he can Dave - if he goes the right way, but he cant swim lol
    TR wrote (see)

CD/Doozer – ha ha, I see now. . I don’t remember getting lost on the run in this race last yr though so start looking over your shoulder if you start walking the run Dooze. I even gave you a chance in Sept by doing an extra little run loop but you never took it.

Thats what I meant about going the wrong way!!!!!    -

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed I understood, I meant that I didnt get lost on the Swash course last yr  so you had best keep running....mind you I never got lost on the Sept course in 2009 !
  • I love a bit of fighting talk,  I'm sorry to be missing it this year,  will look forward to seeing the results.

Good luck to all and race well..............particularly those at the non pointy end of the field.image

• Yep, cheers Jaffa! Fingers crossed I make it out of the water before the sweeper motor boat comes round.

I mean, how bad will this current get that canoes aren't going to be enough! 

• As a non pointy end racer (I was one of the last 10 out of the water last year),   neither Trogs or Gladys have anything to worry about,  enjoy it guys.  CAn I take it that none of you fancy a decent length ride early on Saturday morning?image
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Can I ask a stupid question please?  All this tide talk - will it be hard swimming the first bit, or hard after the turn around?

Ta.

PS I'll be in disguise in club kit, please don't mock me too much.

• M.ouse wrote (see)
    PS I'll be in disguise in club kit, please don't mock me too much.

As long as you are wearing some Mini Mouse ears so we can recognise you I suppose it will be allowed?!

I think the tide increases during the race, so the longer you are in, the harder it gets, and that it is with us on the out leg and against us coming back.

• So how does this list look?

Artful Hen
    Cheerful Dave
    Doozer
    Happychap
    Iron Rose
    Meface
    Mouse
    Sweetfeet
    TR
    Trogs
    Toucs
    orangecannon

+3 of Happychaps' victims!

Who have I missed off?

Any plans for the Saturday night?......

• Gladys (still grumbling!) wrote (see)

Any plans for the Saturday night?......

Sleeping as I have a 3am alarm call

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    I should be on the list, really, but got felled by gastroenteritis yesterday. Will see how I feel tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

I forgot about sweetfeet - come on show yourself !

Someone else is missing off the list, but I'm not brave enough to add his name !

I broke the normal weekday rules and went out for 20M today (dont normally ride outside unless I have 90mins minimum) and it was a bit parky and i didnt ride til 6:30 either, so I hope it warms up a bit !

updated list

Artful Hen
    Cheerful Dave
    CRAB
    Doozer
    Happychap
    Iron Rose
    Meface
    Mouse
    Sweetfeet
    TR
    Trogs
    Toucs
    orangecannon

• If you weren't 4 times my bodyweight we might be having words in September 'young' buddha!! Disappointed you didn't put orangecannon where he/she/it belongs. There's only one thing I like less than being on a list (no, in this context, it's not Dozer) it's being on an incorrectly ordered list.

Looks like I'd better set my alarm bright and early for Sunday then.

As you were.
    sicrhau ei bod ar

• Good luck everyone. Hope the tide behaves! image

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Thanks, LN - but let's not mention the tide any more....!

Artful Hen
    Cheerful Dave
    CRAB
    Doozer
    Happychap
    Iron Rose
    Joddly
    Meface
    Mouse
    Sweetfeet
    TR
    Trogs
    Toucs
    orangecannon

Just been for a test 30 min run. It was laboured and slow but no gut issues, so with another 2 days of recovery time it's game on for Sunday, though my bid for third LV45 may have to wait until next year.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the weekend, and Good Luck to those I don't catch up with beforehand.
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Having said not to mention the tide, I've just looked at the latest tide times and they really do seem to have got it wrong again. High tide is at 1.43 or 2.43 depending on which tables you look at. Assuming 2.43 is right, it puts the swim right in the middle of the flood tide. This means the weaker swimmers amongst us will get to the first turn and then stay there (if not continue out to sea....).
    I wonder if they will consider shortening the swim? That still won't help if swim speed < current speed.
    Just getting slightly panicky here.