Options

Bunions- help!

Has anyone here have a good advice on how to deal with bunions?  I only noticed I had them when I started running a few months ago, especially on my right foot.  It's not painful at this stage but I constantly get blisters and no amount of vaseline seems to help.  I've done a bit of a search on the internet and found some info on bunion regulators- something you use at night but does it actually help?  Will I have to have a surgery at some point?

Should I maybe look for a specific (wider) type of shoe?

Comments

• Options

I have them on both feet Mon.  Its not blisters that effect me but they do ache.  I've always had them from being a child - a congenital abnormality effecting most of the women in our family.  I wear Asics shoes as they are wide enough to accomodate my feet and I miss out the second lace hole up on the shoe to give me more room.  The bunion regulators, toe separators made no difference to me.  I did consider surgury but the 9 month rehabilitation period put me off!  It would be a last resort for me I think.

I'm surprised you didn't know you had them?  Your running gait will be effected by the bunions - generally you tend to over pronate more so make sure you are wearing the correct shoe.  Compeed should sort the blisters until you develope hard skin to protect the joint area.  As I've aged the bunions have got worse/given more pain and I've recently been fitted with orthotics which have helped the problem and sorted out other issues.

If its only blisters you are suffering I would just look at a wider shoe - New Balance & Asics do different widths in shoes. And if it gets really bad see a podiatrist - not a cheap option but well worth the money in my case! image

• Options

Tigerlili

I didn't know I had them as they never bothered me until I started running properly... And I think they only got worse recently.  It's something that runs in my family as well as I found out.  I like the idea of not lacing up the second hole... didn't think of it and it should help.  I can't imagine being out of action for 9 months so will probably live with it for as long as I can.  At least it's not painfull (yet).

I didn't mention bunions when I got my last pair of shoes (as didn't know it was going to be a problem)and even though I got them in the running shop I don't think the person who was advising me was clued up.  He basically just gave me a few different ones to try, told to have a few minute run on the treadmill and decide which ones are most comfortable... How can I know which ones are most comfortable without doing a proper run in them?  I honestly find it very difficult to tell...

They are beginning to fall apart anyway so next time I'll try to make sure that I get them fitted properly.

Thank you for the advice!

• Options
    i thought recovery from bunion surgery was just a couple of months untill your back running now.just last month got diagnosed as having mild bunion.Its that mild its hardly noticeable but does cause me some discomfort.been doing physio excercises to relieve the pain.now i can run pain free.Thinking of getting bunion op done in a few months.The thing is you dont want to let it progress in to arthritic bunion.
  • Options
    Not sure I agree with you Sam.  My bunions are particularly bad especially on the left foot.  I think I'm already a little athritic in that toe joint.  However, I would never opt for an operation until it was absolutely necessary.  I have been advised (by BUPA consultant) that the recovery is slow, that there would be no running for 9 months or so and the chance of it being successful is not a given.  However, each case on its own merits I guess......
  • Options
    i suppose it depends how bad your bunion is.but i would imagine if its mild recovery should be quicker.mines hardly noticeable but ive just started a new job so im going to wait then go see a consultant about it once ive secured my job.the only reason i thought it was a quick recovery was  ive read a few other posts that have said they have never looked back and they were running after 10 weeks post op.
  • Options
    I had surgery for bunions ( congenital ) and arthritic spurs 3 and a half weeks ago. My surgeon is expecting me to be able to start running at 10 weeks post surgery. My operation was almost totally keyhole ( minimally invasive bunion surgery ). Although I live in Cambridgeshire I decided, after a lot of research, to go to the Orthopaedic Centre of Excellence at the Spire Hospital in Cardiff. Great info on their website. Surgeon is Mr Perera. Lots of professional athletes have surgery there. Paula Radcliffe had similar bunion surgery in the USA.

At the moment I am still in the protective shoes, but can manage without cructhes in the house. My feet are not that swollen now, and I can get one into my normal size MBT. Surgery for this condition has advanced a lot in the last few years. I am 50 years old, and did not want to leave the condition as my dad had it and had very bad mobility as he got older.