Is This Insane?

13»

Comments

• Options

BTW I have to admit that about three years ago I went from these stats:

Height: 167cm, Weight: ~ 87kg, BMI: 31.2, Waist (for trousers): 36  image  

To these stats in less then 4 months:

Height: 167cm, Weight: ~ 60kg, BMI: 21.5, Waist (for trousers): 28  image 

I did this mainly through extreme dieting and exercise. But just as you have all mentioned above, I very quickly ballooned after I'd stopped the diet. I am your classic story about crash dieting.

Anyway, we'll see what happens this time on a sensible diet.

C.K

• Options
    And don't forget sensible training CK. Nothing more likely to lead to an injury than going at things too hard and too fast. Take it all steady to begin with, push yourself yes, but don't go nuts, don't go hurting yourself.
  • Options

I started running in March 2009 primarily to lose 3 stone in weight. Some weight came off quickly for the three weeks and I was on a 1700 Kcal/day diet.

I continued to lose the weight very gradually up until last christmas at around 1 - 2 lbs per week, still again running around 3 miles 3 times per week again not competitive, just to lose weight !!!

After christmas I was down to my ideal weight of 9 stone 7 lbs, I then refocussed and started to look at running as a competitive sport.

I am now still the same weight, the diet is not so strict, I run 40+ miles a week, completed to date 13 races and in all of them always in the top 30% finishers.

So what I am saying goals are long term and require commitment, treat it as a fad and you will crash and burn.

• Options

Hi!

I've decided to mix thing up this weekend. Since, I'm no longer doing the Robin Hood Marathon I decided to cycle between Derby and Nottingham. It's meant to be a relatively easy ride on the flat and so should be good fun.

Looking forward to it.

• Options

I would have thought that a long steady run would be better, in the spirit of half-marathon training?

PS most distance runners can eat more than the recommended intake of calories and not gain weight, provided they train regularly. Don't strave ourself.

• Options
    Well someone with his name completed it in an OK time.
  • Options

Hey kids!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. My Internet at home is not working.  

Anyway, I managed to complete the GNR in 2hrs 26mins 54s. Personally I think this is okay. To be honest, would have liked to be nearer the 2hr mark though. What do people think about this time given my current fitness? Remember I only started running three weeks ago.

I managed to run the first 10km in 1hr 05min 25s which is only 1min 05s slower then the 10km I did two weeks earlier. Also I felt I could keep on running after the 10km mark this time then compared to the previous 10km when I was absolutely shattered. The initially 10km was consistent as I was very weary of starting too fast. After this run I’m absolutely certain that I can easily run a sub 60min in the next few weeks.  

The other thing of note is that the last 5km of the GNR I ran/walked in about 45mins compared to the first in 30mins. This isn’t too surprising given my low fitness level at the moment.

Finally, it’s unfortunate that I wasn’t 8 places higher up as I could then reasonably have claimed to have been in the top 50% of all runners. I finished in 27,008th  place image 

Currently looking forward to the Nottingham Survival of the Fittest in October and looking for a 10km in next couple of weeks to prove that I can run a 10km in sub 1hr.

PS: Weight now 77kg. Meaning a BMI of 27.6. Slowly losing weight  image

Chris