Options

British Heart Foundation's Night Half-Marathon

Have done Brighton Mara 2010 as my first mara and haven't done a half since last year, this has got to a be PB on my currently slow PB half of 2.38. Even in the dark, taking longer (headtorch provided!), with the clocks changing whilst I'm running I have potential of a 1.38 PB image

Me and OH are doing this one... who else is in?

Comments

• Options
    I'm supposed to b doing my 1st half marathon at Bridlington on 17th Oct which is in day. This one sounds interesting tho, what time does it start?
  • Options
    Hi Richie, surely that means you've followed a schedule so you'll be prepared image midnight...
  • Options
    Nope! My running is very up n down, I've not really jogged/ran for bout month then done 10k 3 times this week at a steady pace. I jogged 10k at tea time yesterday n ran the great Yorkshire run comfortably this morning. I only decided to enter it yesterday to kinda shock my body. I seem to have a natural ability to run n have been cycling to work alot thru summer.
    I got sum distance to get in but I feel confident!

12's a good time, wonder if u'd get straight on the pop afterwards?
  • Options

image I don't do pop image No I'd need to get back for my son - haven't quite worked out the logistics of the event yet. Sounds like something different though for def.

How fab to have a natural ability to run! I've been running 2.5yrs and finally feel I'm getting better thanks to running club. I'm a bit of a plodder.. however finally pushing on faster I hope

• Options
    U will only get better with more and more and more practise Babe! N if u not a drinker then that's another strength. I've never ran more than bout 15km so u def got more experience at distance than I do.
    How av u or how didu prepare 4 u're 1st half marathon. Cud do wi sum tips
  • Options

oooh... this looks interesting image

• Options
    Hey bigsmile image What you saying then....? image
  • Options
    Oh BTW Tracy B I cud just b entering this run instead of the earlier 1 i ad planned, I spoken 2 my running pal earlier
  • Options
    Gonna need 1 hell of a lay in next day n I generally can't sleep in
  • Options

Hi Richie,

I do tend to follow training plans as it gives me better guidance than 'hit and miss' training, but am also a bit into triathlons too. After training for the marathon, it was nice to get away from so much running! Hmmm.. wondered also on the probability of sleeping beforehand...

It may not be as mental as endurance events, but it does give a nutty twist to a half mara!

• Options
    I ran 8.5 mile this evening which made my legs ache like mad after yesterdays race! I've started using a plan off Nike+ website but it's a 12 week plan n it's just over 5 weeks 2 the race I wa originally gonna do. I get the jist of wot I need 2 do tho. My running partner on holiday 1st week in oct so really think he cud do wi the extra 13 days we'd av by doing this race. B my 1st half marathon image where wil it all end???
  • Options
    hi Tracy, how's the training going? see you've really been bitten by the triathlon bugimage this race sounds fun and  it would be nice to run in Brighton again, but its  so late image
  • Options

Hi bigsmile image Blackwater Sunday.. to be honest, I haven't followed a schedule this time, moved in with OH image and lots of moving admin and actions kind of threw me off schedule, getting son to college (started yesterday) and settling in. I wanted to try for sub-2hrs after Try a Tri's 1.31 but the difference in Sprint is a fair bit more. Am nervous as I haven't had time to visit the venue either and found it easier when I knew it.

How are you? What you been up to? Yes, this is late, am more nervous about dark country lanes - plus leaving my son up all night at home! Am hoping to find someone at my pace... at the back image

• Options

Hi Tracy, sorry i took so long to answer image wow, you've been busy! good luck with blackwater on Sunday but don't be nervous, remember you are not only a marathoner but also a triathlete/ superwoman image 

i have been really unfit these last couple of months but am training for a sub 2 hour half Mara in November would love to do it in 1.45 but...image 

this race could be interesting if i can persuade my BF to do it with me, if so please save me a place at the backimage

• Options

Welcome Tonka Boy image

BigSmile, my BF is doing it with me but will be at the front, but have asked him to run back for me as this one's in the dark! Blimey sub 2hr!! Am going to try for sub 2.30 for this one.. tried that before but injury on the day pulled me back although the training was on target. Good luck with that. Trying sub-60 Southend 10k too.. running club is really helping..

• Options
    Thanx TraceyB....If you are hoping for sub 2.30 i may be close to you at the finishimage
  • Options
    Hi Tonka Boy.. you think? After 50 marathons and an ironman?? image A half will be a breeze for you even in the dark...
  • Options

hi Tonka Boy image 50 marathons? i could only dream of such a achievement. the one i did almost killed me! Tracy good luck with blackwater tomorrow! please do let us know how you got onimage

i was suppose to do speed work today but with taking my daughter to gymnastics and eating my own bodyweight in pizza i just couldn't find the timeimage oh well there's always tomorrow...

• Options

BigSmile.. almost killed me too image

Fab time. Dodgy on the swim where the frontcrawler I let pass me (3 in a lane), went out too fast and slowed down after he overtook, and I was swimming breastroke on his tail! I kept hanging back to let him get ahead, but I was worried if I overtook he would be on my tail then I'd panic! 400m swim. 23k run was around 1hr (expected to be 1.15), and run average (3.5m) thought if I get 11mmp I'd be happy and came in at 10.17 mmp average image Performed better than I thought and really enjoyed the course. One I'd recommend for next year image

• Options

TraceyB...Well done sounds fun....i did the Bucchus half marathon today...i knew i was unfit...it was tough, i was very slow 2.51 and i fell over and have now got a hurty knee and foot and ache like hell. image        Have we/when have we met then if you know i have done a couple of marathons and an Ironman, i am now at 54 marathons all 3 i have done this year have been over 6 hours and i have got Loch Ness in 3 weeks and doubt if i will manage under 6 hours this time either, and last year i did Ironman Zurich and this year i did Challenge Roth and i DNF'D both of them on the bike ride imageand since Roth i am really struggling for motivation.

So as you see if i can get nearer 2.30 i will be very happyimage

• Options

Tonka Boy. No, I stalked your profile image Although I have seen your name before but can't remember which thread. DNF'd is no fun, but you have amazing achievements! I'd like to do half iron by the time I'm 50 (7 years to train!). I did Brighton Mara my first in 6.49 for several reasons, illness, sick, faint etc etc, but ran the last 3 (albeit slowly!) terrifically down the seafront. aiming for sub 5 next year image

Yes I understand. I'm yet to get a sub2.30 half having done 5 at least (can't remember exactly)...sorry about your bucchus half.. you just never know how the day will go. Hope you recover soon.. I doubt your are unfit if you race that much!

• Options
    This looks like fun but does anyone know the route? 
  • Options
    Hi Gayle.. I've searched for the route. Perhaps we should email the organisers? It does say country lanes... if that's a clue? image
  • Options
    I've emailed them - will wait and see before I enter... hubbie is worried about me doing it as he thinks I will be at the back alone in the dark in the middle of Brighton!!!  (Like I can't cope!!!)
  • Options

Response from BHF... 

[Unfortunately at the moment we do not have a finalised route for this event as we are still in the final stages of carrying out the risk assessment. As soon as we know any more information we will be letting people know.] 
  • Options

Hi Tracey...i have never been stalked beforeimage....LOL      My training since Roth dnf has been very much a miss rather than hit and i am struggleing to do 6 miles without stopping.....think the only thing that gets me around is being a stubborn git really....it was the doing an Ironman before i was 50 that got me into it and i was 50 last xmas and have still not managed it yet....so maybe next year.

Bucchus half was fun...it really was a tough one anyway but it was down to doing next to no training since Roth...a real case of the can't be arsed's

Well done on your Brighton marathon this year....i was at the finish line handing out the finishers T-shirts...i may have given you yours...if i did it would have been with a very loud "Well done" and "you did fantastic"....i had planned to run it but i did a track marathon the week before and London the week afterimage

Gayle...you will have plenty of company......you are more than welcome to jog/walk along with me...if you would like?...your hubby could wait at the finish with my missusimage

So where do all the forumites live?.....I am from Crawley.

• Options

Gayle, what kind of time would you be expecting? I'm comfortedknowing OH will be 1.5hrs and will come back for me image However, usually a back-of-the-pack-runner I often finding people to run alongside (except when they are people I don't want to run alongside!).... seriously, have met some lovely people running at the back image Tell hubby you've found some 'randoms' to run with and that you are given a headtortch. Or ask him to run it with you image

Tonka Boy, afraid not. By the time I finished there was no-one handing the t-shirts out. I had to help myself with only XL size left image  Am planning to build up to Half Ironman before I'm 50. Have you thought about doing that? Not sure how you have time for training amongst all your racing! We're Essex and still haven't worked out the logistics but initial thought was just to drive down, run, and drive back (OH to drive.. not me!), but there seems to be a big White Night festival that seems a shame to miss....

• Options

Hi All,

How's your training going? Have taken to mid-week LSRs otherwise can't fit them in with racing, supporting etc etc... so 11m last night. Useful training in the dark though, but easier as I know the route, and don't know the Brighton route/paths in advance!

Southend 10k for me this weekend.. been training for sub-60. What's your plans?