New Year's Eve & New Year Liverbird Marathon Double

124»

Comments

• omg,Paul, youre just a mad mile muncher,I havent done a marathon since London 08,said i wouldnt do another cos i get too many injuries with all the mileage but i was offered a free Edinburgh place and thought it could be a last chance to try for a sub 2:50,and i think i train a bit smarter these days by adding a few circuit sessions and dropping a couple of runs each week. 2010 has seen quite a large drop in mileage for me 1,350 from over 2000 m but ive set new pb`s at 5m,10k,10m and half marathon and besides a few niggles ive been injury free (touch wood and whistle).

Hope you have a good run and if i manage to sober up i may come down to show a bit of support

• I'm planning on starting at 10am, what's everyone else doing?

• Ran in the area today snow gone and quite pleaseant good luck Kaja and everyone else.Hats of to you have fun.

• Hi there, sorry to but in on your discussion but just wondered if anyone knows if this is still going ahead tomorrow.  Ive emailed the organiser a few times but she has not responded so I wonder if anyone has heard from her to confirm it is going ahead?  many thanks, katie
  • Also - for those who are starting at 10am - can you please confirm the starting place? I am just contemplating doing New Years day!
  • Hope all goes well for everyone.
  • Paul a, do you know if registering by 9am tomorrow will leave enough time to get to the start for 10am?  I'll be in a car so hope there won't be a problem.

Katherine  you've got me worried now, is it still going ahead can anyone confirm please? 

• Katherine and others......

I'm in Liverpool now and have just been to the 'office' to register, definitely going ahead with about 88 runners (and I think 45 of those for the double).

The office and the start are about 3 miles apart at most so plenty of time.
  • Cheers Paul,  see you tomorrow.

• Enjoyed that today, well done to LF and the team for a nice event. It seems the doom mongerers on here predicted chaos and failure were quite quite wrong. Back for more tomorrow.
  • Can't walk today. My legs feel fine, really fresh considering (though I had to walk my mate from mile 16 over the finish line pretty much!) but there's a horrid pain in my right leg between my shin and ankle. God knows what it is, and I've never felt this after any run of any distance. Any ideas what it could be? The walk in centre were very helpful (rest it and maybe put some ice on it love) image but it is absolutely killing even with it elevated.

Fantastic day yesterday though, congratulations to everyone who took part. A really friendly bucn to run with, full of plenty of encouraging words.Well done to Kaja for organising this, she'll have learnt plenty and maybe she'll put it on next year so we can be equally mental and have another go at it? Nice to also prove some of the doom merchants wrong, as the whole day went off without a hitch. We all arrived, run a marathon and picked up a medal - what more can you ask for?

I sort of wish my mate wasn't there though, so I could've had a good crack at posting a decent time. Not happy with 5:35 considering my previous time was an hour faster, but I suppose it is good he finished his first marathon. 

• i just went down to give a bit of support today and ended up running 15.3 miles,wish id entered and done the full mara,i really enjoyed it,what a nice bunch of people
  • Nice to see you Jakesy image
    Happy with a 3:17 today after a 3:16 yesterday - tougher today because of the wind. Need to work on my consistency image
  • Paul,thats a tremendous performance over 2 days,i was in awe of all the people doing the double today,incredible mental strength shown by all of you.Well done

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Thoroughly enjoyed this because of the support and camaraderie that you just don't get at bigger events.  Congratulations and thanks to Kaja for taking it on, and raising a load of cash for good causes.

Jakesy - unexpected delight to see your ugly mug this afternoon image.  And thanks for the kind words.  I may be fat, but I can still run a bit!  Hope to see you again soon.  For the record, 3hrs 1 minute for me today (good for 1st fat bloke) after yesterday's 3hrs 31 minute. 

Delighted to say that my better half ran 3hrs 31 yesterday, and 3hrs 34 today to pick up all the female prizes.  Thanks to Anthony, her running companion today - not as good-looking as her running partner yesterday, but supportive nonetheless image

Respect to all finishers, particularly those completing the 'double'.

• Thanks Kaja and everyone else for making the experience happen.

Not the most scenic marathon but job done.

Damondo wrote (see)

Can't walk today. My legs feel fine, really fresh considering (though I had to walk my mate from mile 16 over the finish line pretty much!) but there's a horrid pain in my right leg between my shin and ankle. God knows what it is, and I've never felt this after any run of any distance. Any ideas what it could be?

Could be: 1) Shin splints; 2) Stress fracture; 3) ??? Tunnel 4) Other

All benefit from rest, ice, warmth, massage, elevation,... The most important thing is to ease back into your running and make sure that you haven't injured yourself seriously - i.e. this is just normal marathon wear and tear - or if you have a proper injury then you are treating it properly and not just running through the pain.

In short, monitor the situation, get professional advice and err on the side of caution.

Disclaimer: IANAD - I am not a doctor image

• Njord,youre not just a fat bloke who can run a bit

Youre a fat,beer guzzling,fag smoking,dirty stop out bloke who just won a marathon image

tek a boo son!

• Thanks for the massive efforts Kaja and to the race referee too. Great job over the 2 days and much enjoyed.
  • I ran yesterday 3:39, fairly happy with that after 6 weeks of virtually no running. It was a pleasure meeting and chatting with many of you. .

Thanks for a well organised friendly marathon Kaja.

• Well done Kaja hope you organise another this year, i'll be there again
  • whats this race like? im looking for a run over christmas and as i went to liverpool uni this could tie in nicely

• is anybody running this years event?

im thinking of applying via post for the first day, and just turning up on the second day if im not injured/in agony