Seejays Strollers

Comments

• I think Chris got a PB, dont want to spoil it for him so I will let him tell you the time!!!! image

• well done Chris - drum roll......

• Lads, you got in before me! image........Yes I did! 48:48 (Garmin time) beat my previous by just over 30 seconds! I achieved that some years ago and never thought I could run sub 50 again! Chuffed to bits image

LBB, was really good to see you again mate and thanks for the advice on the course and the club runners to stick with. I'm not just saying this because of the PB, but I thought the event was perfect, mind you the weather helped. Just what a local race should be. Decent entry fee, friendly club, good facilities and really encouraging marshalls. There's a lot of event organisers who could learn from this!.....How could I forget the Custard Creams at the finish!

A short recovery planned tonight, but in the meantime I'll just sit back and bask in the glory!

• Well done CB, it was still a hot night so I think there is more to come.  I am delighted to say that the friends wife i paced round got an amazing PB of 55.08 taking a full 4 minutes off her previous time. I felt very comfortable at that pace considering I had done 14 the day before so I am looking for a PB attempt very soon.

• Well done both.!!

LBB - how great for your friend and good for you to help her out. A good pal!

CB - sorry, but hate to say, I told you so!!! Absolutely brilliant!

Rest on your laurels!!!
  • Chris, sorry mate but I didnt say anything about your time, thought I would leave that glory to you!!!!! As with Ffran, we all told you so, I totally agree with you about the race, I really missed it this year, it will definately be on my calendar for next year, always providing I survive London!!!!! Really chuffed for you and a well deserved pb!!!!

LBB, always good to hear from you and so glad you managed to help someone else!!!! Your turn will come and it will be soon!!!!!

Did two rides tonight, one to running club and the other home again. First one was 4.65 miles in about 25 mins and the return ws about the same, cant say for sure cause i forgot to start my watch on the way back!!!! Knee is feeling really good now, due to see my Osteopath Wednesday night but I plan to cycle for the next week or two and then start introducing little easy grass jogs and work my way up pace and distance wise until i am rinning about 3 or 4 miles without stopping. Hopefully by then I can start on tarmac again and get back to running club!!!

• thank you fran and seejay

hope your back very soon SEEJAY, have you thought of getting physio / osteopath to work on the tightness on your knee.

• I think the cycling is sorting it but hopefully osteopath will help tomorrow night!!!

• Did 3 miles yesterday what a lovely change to run in the sun the whole thing took me 26:43 Avg pace of 8:51m/m so really pleased with that after Sunday

So as predicted the Garmin work perfectly again so i must get a mental block on race days somehow and be doing something wrong when i am setting it up Oh well you live and learn

• Well done guys some good runs and pb 's going on here. U are all so amazing and dedicated

Sorry not been on for a while- youngest at Uni been poorly and I had to get him to hosp last week got home at 1 in the morn. Crisis team visiting him - Dr. Also visiting. I've been driving him up and down to Swansea, Stroud and Cheltenham. I came down with horrendous sore throat and cold and on Saturday I just couldn't stay awake but had to drag my self out to do hoses as I'd promised a friend I would look after her 7!!!!! Didn't do Bristol 10k on Sunday as I was so tired but son good so family and friends came over to celebrate my birthday, so had a lovely day. And lovely gifts and flowers etc

Managed a 3 mile run on Monday

Tuesday did 10 mile cycle

Early this morn I did hilly 3.4 miles

So I hope to be back on track soon????

Again well done guys - sorry I didn't get round to congratulating u earlier x

SeeJ - maybe we start a cycling club LOL X

ttfn Nessie
  • Head GoneHead Gone ✭✭✭
    Hi guys. Just done my survey for Bristol 10k. Generally enjoyed it but yet again goody bag was rubbish - in fact worst I have ever seen, abar of chocolate and an old Evening Post, some form of drink powder and some adverts. Yet again they had run out of XL tee shirts, why can't they get it right - do they cost a lot more. If 20% of the entrants say they want XL why not produce that number. Why can't they do like at Weston, if your number says XL that's what you get. Problem is probably that people think Lwillbe bigger than it actually is. Gripe over - overall good race and got inside my target by 40 seconds. Training starts now for Great South Run, a 10 miler, so longer runs on the cards.
  • Head GoneHead Gone ✭✭✭
    And well done to everyone for your efforts.
  • Hi HG - good for u for pb - u deserve a gripe it's cost enough to enter!!!

Where is the great south run and when??? I've been looking for a 10 miler before I tackle another half mara.

Ta Nessie
  • Ness- as usual, how do you do it? You are amazing to cope with everything.... AND you still ran and cycled.. Belated happy birthday, too. Xxxx

HG- I agree about crabby goody bags and my big gripe is the tops, too,but the other way... I have only ever had a few that I can sensibly wear, most are enormous on me....perhaps I'm getting your big tops?

Seejay, as usual you are keeping at it and great to hear your knee is feeling good.

I've sort of got to the bottom of my trouble. Had another appointment at the hospital yesterday, with a Podiatrist, and he told me I have an anterior talofibular ligament tear. It causes hypermobility, lack of stability, sharp pain...all the symptoms I've experienced. More to the point, he asked me if I'd been falling or tripping more often.. I pointed out my still badly bruised cheek and he thinks I probably tripped because of this ankle strain. Treatment is to avoid high heels, hill running and rocky surfaces. Oh, and R.I.C.E + several exercises, including balancing on the bad leg and closing my eyes! So this morning, I put on my glam shoes for work, and then ran the 10 miles home this evening, including the last very steep mile uphill, but it was all on Tarmac...for a change. Trouble with me, Seejay, is that I'm as bad at taking medical advice as you are good and patient and it will tell in the long run (pun?)

Very excited about the Olympic torch coming very near - will be going through Neath Saturday. It's been in your part of the world the last few days, hasn't it? And I noticed a Bitton Road Runner ran with it yesterday - isn't someone on here a club member too?
  • Running KevRunning Kev ✭✭✭

ffRAN HOPE YOUR Daughters bike brings her big improvements in tri-land.

Chris – well done on the PB

Nessie – hope son is better soon

All good here!!

Kev

• Toby, well done on the confidence run, it just gives yo that edge back after a bad one!!!! Wish I was able to be out in the sun, running that is!!!!!

Nessie, are you sure you dont read about three Corrie, Eastenders and Hollyoaks scripts before you come on here????? You have so many disasters and upsets I just dont know how you cope and still get out and run!!!!!!

HG, I really get so annoyed at Bristol 10K and Bristol Half, London Marathon is under £30 yet Bristol 10K is about £32, how can they charge so much yet give so little back to the runner!!!!!! Tshirts are easy sorted as you say but the reason they are so short at Bristol is they hand out 2 or 3 per person sometimes!!! I have seen people getting three bags saying its for other runners. Why cant they do as some races and put a tshirt strip on the bottom of your number, one ticket for one tshirt. The size would be on the ticket so no mistakes. If they had goody bags and tshirts on both sides of the street it would speed the process as well!!!! Anyway, so happy for you to get under your target!!

Ffran, sorry to say you are a typical runner, disobey everything you are told!!!! image I will be doing the same, I got the evil eye tonight when I told my wife of my plan to start short easy runs along with my cycling in about two weeks time!!!!!! However, I would seriously recommend and try to persuade you to at least give his solution a try, even if only for a week or two. I think you will notice a big difference and it is only a week or two!!!!!! We used to have a Bitton Road Runner on here but he hasnt been around for a couple of years now!!!

One of our lady runners carried the torch last night through Bristol and she brought it back to running club where we all got pics holding it. Saw my Osteopath last night and she was quite impressed with my recovery, I will try to see her again before I start running.

• well no run for me yesterday had a rest day as the Gas man was coming to service the fire and boiler boilers was fine the gas fire was a different story they usually just take the front off and give it a good clean then put it back together and Bobs your uncle all done

Oh no not this time they changed the way they do it now he had the whole fire out cleaned it then the problems started to cut a long story short he got here 2pm and was just packing up at 6pm as i was leaving for and he has to come back today to finish reassembling it

So i am going to have to try and get out for my run before he gets here or just a the 3 to the 5 i was going to do on Friday

Nessie hope your sons ok look after yourself as well

ffRUN the same goes for you as well

waves to everyone else hope your all well

• Head GoneHead Gone ✭✭✭
    Seejay I can't believe you know about Corrie, Eastenders and Hollyoaks scripts. You have just lost all credibility. I am last one to criticise for not listening to medical advice but you and ffRAN must both do just that. I remember when I had noro virus and I told my wife that if I said I was ok, because that's how my mind felt, give it another week then the body will also feel ok. It worked.

Nessie my run wasn't a PB, they are long gone, but I did hit a target, which is pleasing. Great South Run is at Portsmouth on 28th October, we are making a weekend of it. Entries are still available I think.

Toby at least your gas fire is getting a good service. Don't think of it as an inconvenience it is a lifesaver.

All the best to everyone - lets look forward to summer running.
  • Thanks HG I will look that one up- i too am well past getting PBS - I'm just happy to finish any run!!!!

Fran - Seej thanks for kind words but I'm not really coping at all - someone coming to council me next week to help me help my youngest. Still I try to carry on as best I can. I feel guilty taking time out to run but I also feel guilty if I don't run - a no win situation ??? Lol

Busy couple of days before hubby's charity cycle - night ride London to Brighton!!

Running, horses, taking mum out, bought a ton of cheap garden plants, shrubs, trees etc all need potting up - getting quite keen on having a nice garden now. No lawn so now mowing- yippee - but have nice sitting in shade area for BBQ (wine and Pimms drinking area lol) and lots of nice flowering things!!!luckily I have some friends who are professional gardeners so they can help and advise cos basically ' I know nothing'

Take care everyone and run safe x
  • Toby, now is the time to get the fire and boiler serviced, at least you know in the winter it will work!!!! I know you will get a run in!!!!

HG, I only ever watched the soaps at the beginning and couldnt bear to watch them any more but I do know of the plots and everything that has ever happened in the world has happened in all the soaps!!!!! image I am listening to medicals but just modifying the regime or should I say adding to it. I will not start running if my Osteopath (who is a runner) thiks its a bad idea and it will be short (maybe 1/2 mile) and gentle, jogging rather than running!

Nessie, it is always a stressful time when our children are unwell for any reason, running helps to calm down and clear the head, takes your mind of the problem. Dont ever feel guilty about your running, you need to recouperate and getting away for 30 mins or so on a run gives you that time. The important thing is to be well enough to help your son and taking time out will help keep you sane and able to cope. Good luck anyway, we are all here for support if you need it!!!!!

Osteopath was quite pleased with progress and really would be happy for me just just get on with it but I asked to see her in a couple of weeks to check my progress again before I start running. Did another 6 miles tonight in 33 mins, didnt feel as tough so I suppose that is progress!!!!! image

• Afternoon all

Well got out for the run went for the keep going till I’d had enough today which would off ended up being 10 miles had i still not been 3 miles from home the first 10 miles went OK i managed to keep the pace between 9 and 10mm miles excepted once

But by that time the heat was getting a little too much and i walked and ran the last 3 pace slowing to over 11m/m for the next 2 and over 13 for the last one but that was mainly uphill well that’s my excuse any way

The whole thing took 2:17:24 with an Avg pace 10:20m/m jumped straight in a cold shower to cool me down it then took me 2 hrs to get dressed as it was 2pm when i started lead down on the bed to put my shock on and the next thing i know its 4pmimage

• Well done Toby. You still have the pace from your marathon, but it must have been sapping in this heat. You deserved a rest.

We're at Pembrey for the weekend so I waited until 5:30 pm to run, but it was still baking hot - measuring 28deg mid afternoon. I did 4, no pace so just glad to complete in 38 mins. Will go for my LSR tomorrow and meet the Olympic Torch bearers on the way back. (Am I the only one here obsessed with this?)

Seejay, you need to do what you need to do! I'm the last person to advise caution - you know your body so go for it when YOU are ready.

Enjoy Pembrey ffRAN - lovely weather for it.

Off to Birmingham now to collect our new car then to Cardiff for a ball inside Cardiff Museum.

• Went out very early this morn to try to beat the heat - 65 mins -,AND HILLY but still blooming hot!!!!

Off to London for hubby's and his friends night cycle - London to Brighton!!! ( mad pair) not the cycling but the night bit!!!

Have a good weekend Fran - are u running with the torch bearers????how fab to see them anyway - my baby granddaughter saw them this week. Ahhhhh

Hope u all have great weekend and enjoy the weather and remember to drink plenty - ( I will as I'm away and no running till Tuesday!!!!!)

Seej beeeeeeee careful don't push too soon - I know you're so close to running now but please don't do too much too soon - slowly slowly catchee monkey , as they say ( whoever they are?????)

Ttfn Nessie xxx
  • Well done Nessie- have a drink or three for me! And relax! Good luck to D. and pals..Teetotal today to stay hydrated for tomorrow. (Quite alien in the caravanning fraternity).

Enjoy the car, Kev, and the museum.
  • Toby, well done to do that mileage so soon after marathon and in this heat!!!!

Ffran and Nessie, please rest assured I will not be pushing at all for at least a month after I start running, I dont want to mess up what I have done already. When I do start it will be slow short jogs and not runs and on grass!!!!! Thank you so much for your concern but I cannot risk London!!!!!

Ffran, have a great weekend, I must admit I could not generate any interest in the Torch Relay as it came through Bristol. The evening thing would have been manic and I couldnt get out of work for the day one. As it happened one of the ladies in our club ran with a torch and brought it back to running club, so we all took advantage and got pics with it!!!!! image

Nessie, clever running and so glad you managed to get out. I hope hubby has a great time on his bike ride, I could never do that mileage as my ass aches after only a few miles!!!!!!

Well I did a tough ride tonight, it was 7 miles in 38 mins and it was higher up the hill so was much steeper. When I checked my average pace it was quicker than my last shorter ride so maybe my fitness is starting to come back!!! In saying that my legs where dead when I got back!!!! image

/members/images/335914/Gallery/Carry_the_Torch!!.JPG

• Great photo, Seejay. I'm star struck!! Great cycle time, too! I'll be nick naming you Lance

I went to see the "torch circus" coming into my town yesterday afternoon. It was really awesome. Yes, I know it's all hype, but I'll show my grandson the footage I took when I see him. His mummy's Great London Swim went well yesterday. She did a mile in 32 mins. Not fast for her but she was with 4000 others in Victoria Dock. She said it was like a washing machine! Horrific, if you ask me.

Just getting breakfast out of the way, then out for my run-hoping for 13/14 along the Coastal Path and back to meet the Torch in Burry Port. I am a sucker!
  • Well, had a great run- 13.5 in 2:01, and very, very hot. I ran from Pembrey along the Llanelli Coastal path then up onto the main road, and when I got to the College (Kev will know where I mean) the Torch was just leaving, so I ran along with it, obviously overtaking it's progress along the way, but it's amazing how hoards of cheering people( yes,- for me- they must have been bored waiting for the Torch) and the thought that I'd be on TV, really upped my pace, so a big negative split, and on a hilly, crowded main road, too.

Hope everyone's ok???

Everyones gone torch crazy! Would like to have seen it but have tebded to be in the wrong part of the country wherever it was!

Good running ffRAN - the college (Coleg Sir Gar) had a big sports event arranged for the torch.

• Afternoon all

just 3 miles for me today had to take the car to garage so drove there and ran home daughter came down on Saturday so caught up with how her training is going