Dunsfold sportive anyone?

Comments

• Its not too cold where I am, no frost on the car but best of all no wind whats so ever image 

see you all there in an 1.5 hours

• You lot still out there ??
  • Our Henley candidate is apparently fine. Reports are well overdue. image
  • Excellent day out. Bloody cold to start but warmed up after a couple of minor upflats.

Peasy registration process, well signposted and a sweet mostly flat imagecourse. Baled out and did short but that was enough. Went round with Saffers, Mr Saffers & Aliaird & Henny to start with but Ali & Henny did the pro thing and middled.

Kanga joined us at the first feed station having done the long loop as well. Poseur!

All in all a very good value event at fifteen quid including tea (and cake at the two stops).

And I even got my picture of the signpost just outside Chilworth that sits at a quaint country junction and point 3 different ways saying, "This way, that way & Somewhere else" We came from this way and went to somewhere else! LOL.

A challenging ride but should be well within the capabilities of most on here, although we didn't do so well a couple of years ago! 

• Yep, great ride thanks all. Nice to meet FB briefly at the start. Looks like he and petal had a very solid ride from their times.

As Dustboy said, a few upflats were required to warm everyone up and  the organisers duly delivered. Leith Hill was on all routes, and Whitedown on medium and long. Lots of other riders seemed determined to walk Whitedown from an early point on the hill so it made picking them off a good motivational exercise.

With all the drop outs and people doing different distances it was difficult to form much of a Pirate posse out on the course but it was fun riding with/seeing various people from time to time. I think TG had a decent ride though he said after he didnt really get into it. His time looked alright to me!

Saffers is clearlyon her way to Henley, the ruthless way in which she dropped her cramping husband on Leith Hill was exemplary!

Henny and I did a little 15 minute brick coz we is 'ard. Then I had to find some jump leads as my battery was flat, then as I lwft Kanga rolled in. He blamed the orhers but I suspect Bhflyer and mate dragged his sorry ar$e round as best they could!

All in all, a day well biked!

• Well that wasn't easy, I did the middle course very slowly 5hours 40 or something.

I was coldish to start with and I didn't feel great not sure what the problem was but my HR was high from the get go, my mate dissapeared up the road but I was determind to finish what I had started. I made it up all the hills (there seemed to be more this year) even hauled my ass up White down. I fact I didn't get off my bike except at the food stations.

I managed to lose the chip thing while wizzing down a hill, I rode back up the hill to look for it but i couldn't find it. So one extra hill and 15 mins wastedimage 

Still I did it, so sort of proud of myself, I did seriously think about doing the short ride after the first food station but thought what the hell its a nice sunny day no rush to get back.

It was nice to see everone,  breiflyimage

• I have been to a wine bar.... image (cos I is posh) hence my late posting.  I did not get lost.

Really enjoyable ride today.  Nice to meet up with a few of the pirates before we set of.  Lovely to meet Henny for the first time and ride a bit with her and Aliaird before they went off on that middle distance.

Dustboy was a star and rode with myself and hubby, in that piratey way......which slowed him down a tad but he got me up Leith Hill.  Hubby bailed after a very decent attempt and I past him (couldn't get off before he did) and Dustboy encouraged me up that bliddy hill!!!! image  I no doubt would have given up without him shouting me on.....really have to sort out my breathing and positioning on the hills though.image

I would like it noted that I did not drop a cramping hubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As if I would.image  I stopped at the first convenient and safe spot. image

Well done all today and burgers were lovely.

• Good riding gang,  top stuff!image
  • Jaffa, how was your lie in and bacon buttie? image
  • Well done Saffers. image

What a start Dustboy is - but don't tell him I said so. image

• Soup Dragon wrote (see)

What a start Dustboy is

Hmmm.... did SD mean  to type "what a STAR" or  "what a TART"?!

• Cracking day, good weather, and great to see a few peeps at the start image Loved the long course, few bonus upflats and miles, and well worth the detour. Great course, well organised, and at £17, a cheap day's entertainment. Clocked about 5:30 riding time, overall time is closer to 6:15-6:30 given feed stops, chains coming off, and general faffing about along the way. Finished about 3:30, just as Aliaird was swanning off home. Ben & James did well not having done a sportive before, and in Ben's case, with no training. Good Piratey stuff image

Big thumbs up for the chilli at the end, nice antidote to a day's supply of gels and watery SIS.
  • Saffers wrote (see)
    Jaffa, how was your lie in and bacon buttie? image
    Just what the Dr ordered taimage
  • bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭
    AliAird wrote (see)

Then I had to find some jump leads as my battery was flat, then as I lwft Kanga rolled in. He blamed the orhers but I suspect Bhflyer and mate dragged his sorry ar$e round as best they could!

All in all, a day well biked!

Unfortunately Kanga and my bro very much doing the dragging and my arse very much sorry!!

Moral of the story; cycling once every two or three weeks is just not enough image. New office in a couple of weeks with showers and bike storage should help!

Great day though, perfect weather, great countryside, if a little unflat, great company and very tasty chili to round it off. Oh, and Mrs H managed to avoid going into Labour, which on positive side means I didn't miss the birth, but on negative side means it looks like work tomorrowimage, despite strong curry tonight!

Big question is what's next???

• bhflyer wrote (see)

Big question is what's next???

That, my friend, is a silly silly beginners question to ask round these parts...

take your pick!

Just get your name on this list somewhere!

• cracking course the long un who was the pirate i gave an ARGHHH to after the 2nd feed station
  • I did the long in 5:30.  My my calcs and given my age ; I think that makes me Bronze!image  which is better than bing overtaken by the sweeper van the year before last.  I have to say some of those hills were bitchin' and they just kept coming.  The twisty downhills were bottom clenching at the best of times.  Excellent day, great organisation and fab weather.
  • nice to see a few of you guys yesterday - and missed a few clearly. me and P didn't hang around to ride with you and just got going - we are pretty insular when it comes to pack riding and prefer our own pace. Bassy went past me at one point bitching that he was ferked - still bloody riding quicker than me though. then he punctured - haha - little victories!! image

our times were 4:16 for the mid - 4:01 ride time - but we got lost and missed a turn somewhere after CP2 and ended up heading to Cranleigh so came back the way we started out on the A281 - overall ride distance was within a km so no major deal.

that was our longest ride since Outlaw and we felt it but given proper bike fitness we could have gone close to 3:45 ride time.

as said, some nice upflats! amazed at the number of social riders out on road and MTBs and then so many other events as well - adventure racing, road racing, Greensand marathon - sure is one busy area.

might just do it again next year
  • Was great to see everyone yesterday and to meet some people I hadn't met before.  Saffers - you have NOTHING to worry about  image.

I think Dustboy is a tart and a star image. And thank you to Ali for supplying me with a whole bag of jelly babies.  I gave him two or three handfuls on the way round, TdF-style, and ate the rest.  I gave him a grand total of two to go home with...

Well - it was a beautiful day and a challenging course, but then sportives always are and we'd be pissed off if we didn't have something to crow about afterwards, wouldn't we?

I confess I found it harder than I'd hoped - just hope it was down to having been lurgied in the week before. Like TG, my HR was stratospheric most of the way round.  But I did enjoy it. 

Don't know if anyone else feels the same, but I'd really hoped I wouldn't find it too hard, because it wasn't many months ago that that mid ride would have been 'only 58 miles'  because a normal ride would be 80/90 miles.  But yesterday I felt every single one of those miles image.  BallBuster's going to be interesting.

• AliAird wrote (see)
    Soup Dragon wrote (see)

What a start Dustboy is

Hmmm.... did SD mean  to type "what a STAR" or  "what a TART"?!

Ooops!  Well  I meant Tart obviously! image

• Artful Hen wrote (see)
    BallBuster's going to be interesting.

image Ballbuster's only 24 miles and less than half is uphill.  You'll be fine

• Shame sandbagging isn't an Olympic sport, Henny would be a shoe in  image
  • Can't disagree with you there Kanga image
  • Trogs. wrote (see)
    Artful Hen wrote (see)
    BallBuster's going to be interesting.

image Ballbuster's only 24 miles and less than half is uphill.  You'll be fine

It isn't! image (unless you forget the small matter of the run I guess!)

40 miles (5 laps of 8 miles each!)

Just looking at Sporttracks, it reckons 41% is descending, 29% ascending and 30%  flat (WHERE???)

• AliAird wrote (see)

It isn't! image (unless you forget the small matter of the run I guess!)

40 miles (5 laps of 8 miles each!)

Just looking at Sporttracks, it reckons 41% is descending, 29% ascending and 30%  flat (WHERE???)

Pedantic bloody bean counter ! image It's a well known fact that Box Hill is all uphill, enough of a flat at the top to serve tea and cakes on, and absolutely no downhill sections. Like one of these things, endlessly upwards ...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2008/11/23/479645_6.jpg

• Kanga (M.) wrote (see)
     Like one of these things, endlessly upwards ...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2008/11/23/479645_6.jpg

Stupid bliddy Aussie.

Any fule can see it's all DOWNhill!

PS - and don't EVER call me a bean counter! image

• That's a graphical representation of a Smiffy ride. Ever upwards. Marvellous