Options

Time trialling Thread

Comments

• Options
    Danowat - did your bike arrive?
  • Options

Yeah, riding it tomorrow, need to drive to Cambridge this afternoon though and pick up a rear brake mount, the one on it is shot, and the brake keeps coming loose.

The joy of buying S/H I guess.

• Options

Yeah, brakes are handy. image

• Options

If it wasn't regulations, I'd have removed it for tomorrow, the problem is that its binding against the rim, and sapping my limited supply of power!!!, screw the actual braking, I am more bothered about going rather than stopping!

Fair play to Cannondale suppliers though, phoned yesterday and they should get it in today, if not the shop would take the mount of their display bike.

• Options

Pffft, 26:57 image , oh well, can't use the brake as an excuse, but the 25mph head wind on the outward leg will do as an excuse!.

Can't control the weather, but still pretty pissed off about it, still, only 10secs off my PB (which was on a fair weather day).

• Options

Danowat - that looks rather respectable to me - the wind makes a huge difference.

My race was bad and good. Mostly bad because I got a puncture and dnf'd. But also good because I was storming along for the first 12 miles and was holding a good (for me) speed even into the wind. I certainly felt like I could have done the distance - but it wasn't to be. image

• Options
    cheers Pebble - cracking site.
  • Options

Looks like Cartman put in a pretty good performance at the Irish National 100 TT - 4:15 or so.  Irish comp record was broken by triathlete Bryan McCrystal 3:52 - apparently not the flattest of courses.

More proof that TTing is a good way of improving your biking.  Bryan is coached by a friend of mine, and is an absolute beast of a biker, his running and swimming are improving all the time!

• Options
    Anyone race in the midlands or western regions?

If so what are the 50 and 100 courses like?
  • Options
    The A50 course is supposed to be fast - that's in central district running from Derby towards Stoke so it's West side of the central district.   Not sure how it compares to other fast courses as I've only done a 25 on it not really being a time triallist.  Not sure what the code is for it - the 25 is A25/11.
  • Options

The 50's are 50 miles long and the 100 is.... well you know....................

• Options
    Pebble 2 wrote (see)

The 50's are 50 miles long and the 100 is.... well you know.....23 miles to long for me...............

• Options
    Cheer Popsider. Just need a cheeky fast 50. Mersyside 100 is not fast before anyone says(held in shropshire, organiser lives in north wales from the anfield club!) so slowly looking at my options.
  • Options
    Cant help having all these fast twitch fibres.....image
  • Options
    Try Taffia wrote (see)
    Cheer Popsider. Just need a cheeky fast 50. Mersyside 100 is not fast before anyone says(held in shropshire, organiser lives in north wales from the anfield club!) so slowly looking at my options.

I did this on IM training, its fairly early in the season so gives a benchmark but I could only manage 4.32, the extra minute on my official time is cos I was late ;-( forogt my number back in the car. I will be doing more of these over next year, mainly 50's as there are more of them but will still need to make sure I get in the right route.

Anyone of you more experienced guys fancy writing a numpties guide, (not just for me) for entering open events off teh TT calendar.Step 1 - 10 etc finding the address of the organisor, printing form off etc etc, thiscan then go on the pirate site via JD.

Cheers.

• Options

Its a bit more difficult for opens as you need to be a member of an affiliated club.  I know you are Nick, but for anyone alse who is considering it, the should join there local cycling club and often Tri clubs are affiliated so worth checking.  

Advice in order:  (others feel free to add correct anything I may have missed/got wrong)

1.  get a RTTC handbook for 2011 (about £8)  all events are listed in there

2. Download and entry form from http://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/AboutCTT/OrganiserInfo/FormsGuidanceNotes/tabid/172/Default.aspx

3.  Enter all personal details and current PB's and save it.  Once you start racing regularly it will be easier to update PB's rather than trawl through archives looking for results.

4. Find an event in the handbook or on http://www.rttc.org.uk/Events/EventsList/tabid/134/Default.aspx

5. Address of organisor is always in the handbook. (thats why its worth getting)

6.Fill in form and post along with cheque

7. Wait for confirmation via post or email that you are in.

8 log in to http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php  as start sheets and results are posted on here pretty quickly.

Hope that helps

• Options
    Anyone else here do any road racing ?    I've always done a little bit since I took up riding - half planning to have a proper season of it next year -  and they can be fun on the right course. 
  • Options

Something that might be worth adding is the fact that the cutoff for open events is usually 14 days before the event.

As for road racing, no, but I have done a short crit series, and am planning on doing the Lotus crit series in 2011, if it goes ahead.

• Options
    I've done a few pops, why ? I find them real good fun, did my last one a few weeks back the Welsh Vets champs, 62 miles in a crazily fast time.
  • Options

No reason really - just wondered if anyone did any as nobody ever seems to mention it.   I haven't done much in the last few years but I did 5 LVRCs this year and really enjoyed them - gave me a bit of a taste for it again so planning on getting a BC licence and mixing LVRCs with some BC stuff see how I get  on.     

Dano - just out of interest - why circuit racing and not on the road - I always find road races easier than crits as you don't get all that sprinting out of corners - depends on your strengths though I suppose.  

• Options
    I planned on doing a few for training this year, but my road bike didnt get replaced until late may and by then I didnt want to take the risk of crashing and ruining a whole tri season.  I really do fancy doing some next year.  Might be good early season for a bit of speed work!
  • Options

Iornrose, I will be back to do the Mersyside 100 anyway. I will pick up my silver medal for the team award, we missed taking the team prize by 14 seconds! Was my fault as i was 15 minutes of my pace.

Got my fast 50/100 sorted, they lead nicely into the Welsh 12. So the season next year looks planned already.

• Options
    Which 50/100 's are you doing then ? The build up to the 12 and then the 12 is the perfect bike prep for Ironman Wales Taffy boy !!!!!!
  • Options
    popsider wrote (see)

Dano - just out of interest - why circuit racing and not on the road - I always find road races easier than crits as you don't get all that sprinting out of corners - depends on your strengths though I suppose.  

Not 100% sure really, probably a combination of not being able to find much in the way of road racing around my neck of the woods, and the fear that I'll get my arse handed to me on a platter!!!.
  • Options
    Pebble 2 wrote (see)
    Which 50/100 's are you doing then ? The build up to the 12 and then the 12 is the perfect bike prep for Ironman Wales Taffy boy !!!!!!

For a nice fast bike leg..................going to do nowt for my swim or run! Ive got my plans. That WBAR cup will look nice on my fireplace image     

Dan, road is a bit easier to handle than crit/circuit. If you make a mistake on the road, if its not in the last couple of miles you can pull it back. Crit.........nope!

British BAR results finaly up. Im happy with that showing. Ive got the legs, just need some more speed.

• Options

Thought I'd give this a bit of a bump image

Season has kicked off for me now (after a long, cold winter of 100 and 200k audaxes!!)

First TT of the season, Wisbech Wheelers B10/2 24:47

Second TT of the season, ECCA E2/10 24:43

Both crappy, cold and windy days, I reckon I've got a long 22, short 23 in me on the right day image

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    That's a good start to the season Danowat. Come mid summer on a good course / good day I reckon you could get under 22.

Not been on the bike for a while, but 2 months of 6 x 1/2m ints twice per week used to work wonders for my 10, 25 and 50 times. Did longer rides for 100 and the 12hr though.

• Options
    Got round to doing my first open TT of the year yesterday. Windy conditions down on the a31 for the hounslow 100. First time over the distance and managed a 4:27. Pretty happy despite a slight pacing and feeding issue resulting in a drop off in the last lap. All good miles in the legs though!
  • Options
    Anfield 100 in wet n wind. 4.49...........last 20 miles done with a broken shoulder and fecked bike. Car side swerved me, never stopped. All I can say it was black.
    Where a lid out there peeps! I bounced and got back on for the most hardest 20 miles of my life!