turbo trainer or spin bike

When the weather is carp, which would you rather use a turbo trainer or a spin bike? image

Comments

• turbo that way you can train with your own bike and you will work harder. Spinning sessions in your local gym are a good idea through.
  • I'd prefer a spin class. Slightly more sociable than sitting in your dining room in a pool of sweat, but then I HATE my turbo.
  • Everyone is different.

If you can motivate yourself well then the turbo would be the better option. Its your bike so it fits you well.

If you dont like that kind of thing, then spin can be a more social activity and you may be more likely to use that.

If you buy a spin bike then other members of the household could use it too though ?

• I'd say turbo, at least you are riding what you normally ride, but boy is it boring, managed 30mins on my turbo before I was chewing the walls with boredom.
  • I find cd's, Radio 4 or 5 or sticking it in front of the telly and putting on a dvd useful. Just be careful when the Archers music comes on you go go mental. Nothing to do with the turbo I just normally dance around the room anyway
  • I KNEW you'd love the Archers Cake image

Well i'm going to buy a turbo, for convenience, and to save time travelling to spin all the time, and also just to get used to sitting on my bike for eons. I'll also be going to spin though. I go to a dedicated spin place, and it is soooo much better than the gym spin places image I'm lucky i've got that in town. I think only having the turbo would be a bit hellish.
  • Pea any soap makes me want to rip my shirt off, turn green and smash things. image

The Archers music however reminds me off Summer's at my Grans house being outdoors and working on there garden or as a sensible person would call it a small holding.

• turbo everytime - your bike does not have a flywheel. if it's spin or nothing then spin is ok but a turbo is way better than a spin bike.

spin classes (which i don't think you're asking about?) often don't do very useful things such as too much very high cadence, out of the saddle, stupid press ups on the handlebars etc.

it depends on what you are trying to achieve - if you are just looking for enjoyable exercise then spin classes are fun. if you want to be a good cyclist then use your bike - on the road and on the turbo.

Lee - just my opinion (which will probably be unpopular) but spin classes seem to be more popular with weaker cyclists. learn to love your bike.

I'm an Archers addict image R4 for warm and cool down on the turbo is great. Hard House UK radio podcasts for the rest image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

sitting on your bike in the dining room is cheating

3 hrs staring at the garage door (with just the radio for company) is better for your menthol strength. Especially when its -3 cos the garage isnt integral.

• been looking at rollers

starting off and stopping look a bit dicey, do they have variable resistance

• TR - my turbo is in the garage too. Cold in the winter, hot and humid in the summer. I love my turbo dungeon.

I've not tired rollers yet but I'm sure they'd be good. More as a supplement to the turbo than a replacement tho - I don't fancy very hard sets on rollers (even if it's now possible with those that have resistance)!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Mellifera - flipping freezing in the winter, I have to wear a hat, over-shoes and gloves etc you just avoid any wind chill, and it gets amazingly hot in there in the Summer - although its not too bad early doors. Its just as much menthol training as physical. Best thing is no junctions, traffic lights or getting run over.
  • Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    which would you rather use a turbo trainer or a spin bike? :^

That's like one of those "Would you prefer to loose your hearing or eyesight" questions image
  • bought some winter cycling gear yesterday so keen to keep up the little bike fitness i have.. however.. turbo trainer does sound good.. whats the cheapest acceptable one out there.. being a girl fo very little means at the moment!
  • our turbos is in a freezing garage in winter and with 2 of us working away on a hard session we can easily raise the air temp by 5C in 30mins......so we don't bother with extra kit. I can't understand why people use turbos in summer though - just get out and ride
  • Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    I'd just ask if anyone's got one they would lend you.
    There must be zillions of them languishing unloved in the back of garages, sheds, lofts and cubboard after 15 minutes of use.
  • does anyone out there have one they want to give me!??
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Unless i have more than 90mins I never ride outside, it takes me a while to get through junctions etc to get to some decent roads. I dont want to waste time waiting fro traffic etc. I also do intervals etc on teh Turbo.

Bootsie - What about the turbo  - chuckle ?  I have a Tacx Sirius it was teh best reviewed Turbo for the money (~£100) I wanted to spend.

• The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

been looking at rollers

starting off and stopping look a bit dicey, do they have variable resistance

Stick it in 53*11 and you wont need any more resistance.

• Doozer. wrote (see)
    Rollers anyone?

If I could afford one I would. image

Bootie I'm sure where will be someone out there that can lend you one. Like previous post a lot of the time they aren't used anyway.

• I might invest in a turbo. The OH has just read all the posts and said " b*gger that means two turbos, his n hers" and walked away grumbling to himself.

so next question... whats the best turbo trainer?

• R.P soon to be T.P wrote (see)

so next question... whats the best turbo trainer?

All depends on how much you want to spend

they range from £100 to several thousand

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    It was the Tacx Sirius when I bought mine approx 2 yrs ago.
  • TR I had a look at that, is it really noisy and do you still use yours?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Not sure how noisy it is compared to others, I use it in the garage so it doesnt matter. I think teh reviews said it was quiet.  I use mine probaly twice a week in the summer (ride outside sometimes) and 5 times a week in teh winter. Its teh best ~ £100 I've ever spent on sports kit.

I would add that I paid extra for the cable that allows you to change the resistance, but you dont need that option you just chanage gears on the bike to alter the resistance.

Look it up on Wiggle and read the reviews from the magazines.

• I have a Cycleops Mag, pretty basic but does the job.

I would suggest that you have a training wheel otherwise you are going to go through your race tyres in short fashion.

I know some people have DVDs, watch TV or listen to music to break the boredom - or you could dress an inflatable doll in cycle gear and put it on a bike in front of you then you can have a pursuit - woops sorry wrong forumimage

Used to do spin classes in my old gym, the instructor was a cyclist so no handlebar pushup nonsense, lots of high resistance, some sprints but most in max effort at 60-90 rpm. Would then follow immediately with a a 5K treadmill run so got a brick session in as well.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

I have one bike and one wheel and tyre. Tyre use a Vittoria Rubino tyres - they last me about a year, but its not a race tyre - although I do race on em.