8       00:07:49    1     (Toilet stop)
    9       00:08:28    1    
    10     00:08:32    1
    11     00:10:22    1
    12     00:09:52    1
    13     00:08:39    1
    14     00:00:51    0.16   
    Sum 01:46:15    13.16

Chip time 1:48.15 (Found out I had "auto pause when stopped" turned ON on watch, its now been turned off!!!!!)

Stopping didnt help, didnt get cramp but left calf and hamstring started playing up!

• Hi everyone - I'm already in for next year with the membership thingy image

I didn't get to meet anyone at the start again (how on earth did I miss Vicki's dress?! - especially as you started in the pen infront of me and I finished ahead of you, so I must be blind?!!)

Just wanted to say thanks to XL - mentally followed your breakdown yesterday - it helped loads!

XL-man wrote (see)

Hi, CC2 - as you wish. But, it feels a bit strange posting this before 2010 is done, in fact watching the BBC, some folk haven't crossed the start line yet.

XL's 4 run plan

Run 1 - 5 miles. (DON'T think about anything further) Huge crowds, great atmosphere, bands. Take it steady, not too fast, you've run five miles or further loads of times. Enjoy the spectacle, and remember you are part of it. Those inspirational pictures of thousands running across the Tyne Bridge? Red arrows trailing the red, white and blue vapours. You're in them this year. Yes, you're in the Great North Run, the world's biggest half marathon. Enjoy!

Run 2 - 3 miles. Forget the 5 behind you, they're done. Think only of the next three. Three miles? Piece of cake, you've done 9, 10, 11 .. much more in training. These three are all downhill, wheeeeeee !! Great news for those of you after PBs for the event, or even if it's your first time and you have a target. Go for it here, within reason. Unfortnately, the road narrows, so you may notice it feeling a little more congested. Be careful.

Run 3 - 3 miles. SLOW DOWN. This is where you need your mental toughness and/or your MP3 player. It's a bit of a slog up the John Reid Road etc and there's not much to enjoy, but hey, if it was easy, the medal wouldn't be as important to you would it? If you're a run/walk person this is where you may want to be taking extra walks, and psych yourself up, but don't start thinking about the finish yet. Just get to 11 miles

Run4 - 2.1 miles That's nowt! Of course you're tired but you're nearly there. Now, start to tell yourself that you've done it (almost) the goody bag is waiting for you, go and get it. The last mile and a bit up the sea front is fantastic. Huge crowds yelling at you, the end is nigh. Let your spirits fly, even if you're knackered. You can stop soon. If you're after a time, push, you know you are fit, you have prepared well, and as knackered as you will feel when you cross the line, the elation will speed your recovery. Well done, you've finished the GREAT NORTH RUN 2011

• i found the plan a great help too.

Congrats to all who finished especially if you made good time.

Liz

• I had to defer my place for 2010 but watched it on the TV all the while muttering 'I should be doing that'.

Aiming to get around the worksop 1/2/ marathon at end of October, but it wont be the same.

I'll definitely be doing GNR 18th September 2011 and I'll be aiming for a decent time rather than just aiming to get to the end.

• Hi folks,

Just under a year to go, hopefully I'll be luckier in the ballot this year (fingers crossed)
  • I have just registered for the email reminder!

I might as well book the hotel! Just need to get the others off the Sofa!

• Great run Martin (and Andy Sly).

Snoopy- well done actually completing it with that injury.  Hope it settles quickly-at least you've got a year for it to heal!

Shielsy- that was really bad lucklosing the gel.  I too hadn't realised it was low cal Powerade but it did explain whyI felt I needed to use my spare gel at 1hour.  Also explains why my hands weren't sticky when I accidently spilt some of it.  I seem to miss the point of using low cal sports drinks.  Give me lucozade or SIS drinks anyday.

Congratulations to all of us who finshed andn thanks to the north east for the support and hospitality.

The GNR is dead, long live the GNR (2011) image

• Is next years GNR definitely on the 18th? GNR website doesnt say, many charities say it is but some say TBC. Recent years it has moved between last few weekends in Sept and first in oct.

Anyone know for sure?

Cheers, Dave.

• They announced it yesterday as the 18th.
  • RichardB, do you stop North, South or Central?

I thought we had a decent Hotel north of the river on the A19, but I would really like to be in the centre next year to get to see the games and fair on Sat.

Anybody have an opinion?

CBC

• Had a great time yesterday. Got round in 2.33 which isnt too bad for a 48yr old couch potato, My LSRs here in flat Norfolk have not been very different. Really want to say a great big THANK YOU to all the locals for their welcome while we were in the area.

We stayed at Jarrow and Hebburn AC in Monkton. They planned everything really well and we even got map so those of us who get easily lost could get to the Metro. They even made sure the Lord Nelson was serving Fullers London Pride - Much the best way of getting carb loaded the night before! As promised the band was very good. I cannot recomend the camping service they trialled this year enough. After last years journey this was a breeze. MANY MANY thanks. Even your coffee was great!!!

I said I was not going to enter the ballot next year so I naturally have entered for the reminder service. Perhaps I'll be running again next year after all.

I trained using Powerade - didnt realise it would be the Zero stuff. Wasnt used to it and apologies if I burped loudly passed any one. Couldnt help it but it didnt agree with me as I thought it was Powerade we were using so trained constantly with that on runs for several months. Ooops!

GNR still truly Great in my eyes.

• Right, I'll start again on this one. I posted the 2010 thread for a while, then trailed off when I got an injury.

Yesterday was my 2nd GNR, and I thought it was better than last year. I can't put my finger on why it just was. I've got membership so I'm doing it for at least the next two years, after that we'll see.

I did 2hrs 9, which was quicker than last year, but not as quick as I would have liked. I did nowhere near enough training. Most of my summer training was focused on my first triathlon in August. I was fit enough to do the GNR, but didn't have enough miles in my legs. Still, like I said, I enjoyed more than last year, so it can't have been too bad.

I was really annoyed with the Powerade on the course as well. We are always told to never try anythng knew on the day, and to train in the clothing we will wear, and with the nutrition we will use, and what happens. Powerade seem to use the actual event as a product launch. I had never even heard of Powerade Zero. So to have no choice but to use it on teh day is out of order IMO. At one station you had only one choice of flavour as well. I'm not a fan of the red powerade and to have no choice to but to have the red powerade zero was also not on.

For me that was the only gripe about teh day, although I class it as a big gripe, and I can't wait until next year. I'm looking at the GNR again, some more tri's, sprint and Oly, and a guy at work wants to do a clean sweep of Great North Walk, Great North Bike Ride and Great North Run. Could be a busy year.

I've given myself this week off all exercise, but we'll see if that lasts.

• Just returning to running and had a great day out at the GNR.  Found this site by chance when I was looking for some new shoes a few weeks ago - lot's of really good advice and humour - was much appreciated. Only problem - at about 11/12 m near the top of that very long road I'm sure I started hallucinating - could have sworn I passed a pink fairy taking a drink - must have been the Powerade image

• Pink fairy?- no that would have been our Vicki Graceless Whippet.
  • Trying to sort accom now myself thinking a family break in south shields!

Also, anyone know where/when membership can be registered. want to ensure my place for next year.

Dave.
  • Davecs wrote (see)
    Trying to sort accom now myself thinking a family break in south shields! Also, anyone know where/when membership can be registered. want to ensure my place for next year. Dave.
    If I recall correctly, you should get an e-mail November/December asking you. The downside is that they will need nigh on £90 (membership + race fee) on the run up to Christmas.
  • Hi everyone

Looks like everyone had a great day and some good times. I didn't see any green ribbons on the way round (I had a long one pinned to my back. I looked like some kids game gone wrong).

It was a great day and the people of the North East really did themselves proud.

I got off to a good start, high fiving Dec, who looked like his hand was hurting at that point, but he carried on anyway, and got my pace going quite quickly. I was amazed how quickly I started passing walkers.

I managed to keep a good pace going, passing more and more people, wondering why I had been dropped back a pen when so many people where obviously struggling.

I got to the John Reid Road, knowing that I was meeting my nemisis again. I was determined not to walk this time. I used points in the road, such as the first set of shops, thinking, 'I was walking at this point last year, but not this year'. I passed Flowella Benjamin (a really nice lady who looked like she had a smile for everyone) around 9 1/2 miles.

I was struggling a bit at the 11 mile marker but I kept on running. So many people were getting treatment by the side of the road, many more than I remember for any other year. It was a relief to finally get over the last hill and know that I had just over a mile left.

I got in with a new course record of 2.07.45, beating last years record of 2.18. 53. image

As had been said, my main problems where the walkers and the poweraid.
  • 2011 here I come image

spongecake wrote (see)
    Sorry to Shrek,I had to do a toilet stop and couldnt catch you back up mate,hope you enjoyed the race

I got round in a really slow time,once id stopped for the toilet i seemed to want to go all the time,I dont think my body agrees with powerade at all,will have to remember that for next year.

Sponge - No probs mate - I kept glancing back but lost sight of you so just carried on plodding along. I know what you mean with the toilet stops - I had to go at around mile 9ish I think and then couldn't get back into it so had to have a couple of walk bits which I was determined not to do this year - I put it down to poweraid Zero - strange choice of drink & hope they change to Lucazade next year

Shielsy wrote (see)

Were they just giving out Powerade Zero en route, or did they have normal Powerade too?

And is Powerade Zero low cal, and therefore no use for people needing carbs?

Sorry for the questions - I know I drunk the stuff, but was too busy concentrating on running to read the small print on the label.

Feeling totally shattered in work this morning, with everyone saying 'I don't know what you're doing here!'  Err - because I wasn't allowed to take the day off?

I don't think I ate enough all day yesterday, as I woke up at 6am today ravenous and totally craving a Chicken Biryani.  The small bowl of Cheerios and slice of wholemeal toast I actually had just didn't hit the spot!

Poweraid Zero image

I am just about to order a lovely Chicken Dhansak with all the extras - yum yum - then at breakfast meeting with big booses in Birmingham at 0830hrs tomorrow ? Not sure a curry is a wise choice but who cares ? !!!

• Did anyone record the TV segment from midday yesterday which was shown on the red button?  Our attempts at trying to doing it at home failed completely and unfortunately was the time when i crossed the line.
  • Hello everyone!!

*pulls up comfy chair and settles onto the new thread!*

Had yet another fabulous weekend. Thank you everyone for making it so special from start to finish.

Have read back on the old and the new threads and have loved reliving everything - Congrats to you all, especially those with pb's and those that enjoyed their first (probably of many) GNR experiences.

I managed a chip time of 2hrs 8mins (Garmin time 2hrs 6mins?!?) which is my worst time for this race but I wasn't bothered at all - I just soaked up the whole thing and was just relieved not to get cramp like I usually do!!

I have to agree with the comments about the Powerade Zero and the fact that some people got into pens ahead of where they should (I was in the first white pen and passed a girl walking within the first half mile whilst wearing a green number (how the hell did that happen??)

Other than that, I have no complaints whatsoever.

Now, I've got nothing out of the freezer and all this talk of curry is making me hungry. I'm off to look at my pile of takeaway menus!!

Laters.

• Here we go again then .....365 days to go (leap year)
  • CBC - I stay in the Centre in fact Premier Inn Millenium brdge, they are great early runners breakfast, fruit and bottles of water laid on and staff really friendly.

Powerade seem to be out of order with the zero, I found the normal one bad enough last year.

I'm in hospital for a sinus op tomorrow so  for a couple of days but hopefullt be able to start running again soon and build the mileage back up, I've already pulled out of the Leicester marathon as I won't have trained enough.

• Mile Splits for anyone interested.

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 5:28(5:28/m) - 116cal
    2)  - 1m - 5:45(5:45/m) - 107cal
    3)  - 1m - 5:52(5:52/m) - 116cal
    4)  - 1m - 6:10(6:10/m) - 118cal
    5)  - 1m - 6:20(6:20/m) - 116cal
    6)  - 1m - 5:54(5:54/m) - 116cal
    7)  - 1m - 5:52(5:52/m) - 116cal
    8)  - 1m - 5:59(5:59/m) - 117cal
    9)  - 1m - 6:15(6:15/m) - 117cal
    10)  - 1m - 6:07(6:07/m) - 116cal
    11)  - 1m - 6:18(6:18/m) - 116cal
    12)  - 1m - 6:23(6:23/m) - 117cal
    13)  - 1m - 6:11(6:11/m) - 116cal
    14)  - 0.18m - 1:06(6:04/m) - 21cal

• Hi All

It was my first GNR yesterday and i plan to return next year. I left booking accomdation a bit late and ended up staying in Darlington. It worked out alright though catching the train from Darlinton and then the metro. I looking at booking something closer for next year. Any one got any recomendations either near the Newcastle central metro or South Shields finishing area?

Thanks

James

• Hey, Congrats to everyone. I really enjoyed my run but do feel that some non-runners lack common sense. As a plodder, i chose to start at the back and found that i passed people very quickly some of which were walking way before the tyne bridge. Not only that they just come to a standstill in the middle without going to the sides. However saying that, reeling runners in and concentrating on catching people up did help my running image
  • James Smith 44,

We stayed at Village Hotel and Leisure (NE27) which was just above North Shields. I tried to book somewhere in South Shields in Jan, and all of them were either booked up or required a 2-3 night stay. If you take a risk on getting in through either Ballot or charity place, then get somewhere booked now! Somebody on another thread has booked theirs today!

• 1) - 1m - 8.27
    2) - 1m - 8.54
    3) - 1m - 8.55
    4) - 1m - 9.07
    5) - 1m - 9.18
    6) - 1m - 9.18
    7) - 1m - 9.47
    8) - 1m - 9.16
    9) - 1m - 11.07
    10) - 1m - 10.29
    11) - 1m - 11.34
    12) - 1m - 10.52
    13) - 1m - 9.11
    14) - 0.31(?)m - 8.41

My mile splits . I was aiming for 2 hours, so averaging 9.16 or less was the target. It's pretty obvious I went waaayyy too quick for the first 3 miles, rescued it until mile 9 (toilet stop just after 6 miles caused the 9.47 split), but really blew up for miles 9-12. It's pleasing to see I had enough left to pick it up at the end though. Still a PB, but I will do better next year.

• All these race reports are making me all excited for next year, I can't wait . All I need to do now is actually get a place in the race!