Options

Great North Run 2011

Comments

• Options
    I'm now back on with the mile markers and mile 3 was 6.44. This is more the pace I was expecting, though actually this was an uphill mile. I went through 5k in pretty much spot on 21 mins and wondered if that's on pace for sub 90. D'oh, of course it is! I passed the 90 min pacer about half a mile ago! Still, I decided I'd best check the pace band at mile 4 wanting to see 27.28. That time comes and goes but no 4 mile marker. I don't think there was one! Still, Garmin said 6.48.

Mile 5 is quite a steep uphill, with a sign at the top to tell you it's the highest point of the course. I clocked 6.44 for that one, but had to press the lap button again 9 seconds later at the actual marker. At least now I could see I had a bit of a cushion against 90 min pace.

Mile 6 is downhill. At least, I assume it must be since I ran 6.30 for that mile. I started to worry that I was going too fast, but actually it still felt really easy. I decided to go with it. Maybe I'll blow up, maybe I won't.

Mile 7 6.30 again. Still felt fine and at the halfway marker I realised I was over a minute ahead of my pace band. Sweet!

I took an isotonic gel at mile 8 (6.31 plus 8 seconds to the actual marker) (none of this Powerade muck for me thank you very much - bleurgh!) and 6.44 for uphill mile 9.

Through the Bupa Boost zone where they were playing that horrible Saxo Beat song, or whatever it's called. Motivation to move faster to get away from it at least! I missed the 10 mile marker, but the Garmin said 6.37.

Mile 11 is up the John Reid Road and the sun came out just at the bottom of the hill. I could feel I'd slowed a bit, but I was passing people left right and centre. Including 2 women I'd had in my sights for a while. I clocked 6.44 but had to lap it again at the actual marker some 16 seconds later.

Mile 12 is still mostly uphill, but you know you're so damn close and it does have that very steep downhill at the end of it, which explains the 6.34 split.
  • Options
    We hit a bit of a headwind along the sea front, much to my displeasure. I'd worked a bit to get up John Reid, but had been saving myself for this mile. Good job really. It wasn't horrendous, but enough to make it difficult to breathe. Anyway, I managed another 6.30 mile along here.

I wanted to start my sprint finish with 400m to go, but the wind was a little too strong so I waited till about 200m to go then hammered it! 36 seconds for the last 0.26 miles, which is 4.57 min miling!

I was out of puff at the end, but not all that tired actually. I was recovered enough to run over to the Sweatshop stand to see if I knew anyone there. I didn't, but still managed to get a loan of a towel. Came in very handy as seconds after I crossed the line the heavens opened!

Official time 1.27.37 (which is a monster PB), 16th lady in the mass race and only 21 of the Elites were faster than me, and they don't count anyway as their race was half an hour before mine
    http://www.fetcheveryone.com/images/icons/icon_tongue.gif

Retrieving my bag was a nightmare - it was well buried. Eventually I found it and threw my clothes on. On the way to the Metro I befriended a bloke with a brolly. Good call! The journey back to Newcastle was swift and smooth. Then I did a little shopping (as you do!) but failed to buy anything before heading home for a nice bath.
  • Options
    Fantastic run, CC2 - you must be thrilled with that. Many, many congratulations.
  • Options

Some fantastic reports coming inimage.

CC2 so how many seconds under were you? (or should we just count the minutes?!?)

Great day.  Was very hot a few miles in when the sun came blazing through. Also a tad too wet for a while as Shielsy mentioned (I was worried about my nice new phone!)  but it kept us cool.  One spider man was on the floor just after the Bridge (oh dear - no kiddies around to see fortunately!)   Anyway, my goal was to get a course PB.  I've done several at 2:30: and a few seconds. Last yearI was 8 seconds over!  

Pleased to report that I cracked it image.  Not a half PB, just the course, but that's fine - finished in 2:27:31  wooo hooo dee wooo hoo! 

Stuffed myself with all the goodies at the Cancer Research tent.  Queued forthe shuttle bus (not too long this year).  The journey back to Newcastle took forever, the diversions and road closures wre still in place.  Got back to B&B around 5pm after popping in to the O2 shop where very nice lady showed me where my contacts were hiding (thank goodness!).  At least I know who's calling me now!

• Options

Blimey, RLTW. Not just CC2 counting the minutes,there's you breaking your target by two and a half of them. image

Huge congratulations.

• Options
    CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who finished today, and HUGE congrats to CC2, mr sj and RLTW on your PBs image
  • Options

yes, mr SJ was supposed to be taking it easy!  What could he have achieved if he'd gone all-out!?  Well done mr SJ - an amazing time

• Options
    Nearly as many seconds as you RLTW!
  • Options
    Wayto go CC2 image and huge congrats on your finishing position.  How dare they stick you in orange (was that the original zone?)
  • Options
    Indeed it was, but actually I only saw 4 other women in pen A, and one of those was an upgrade like me.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I passed Nel Mc Whatsherface as the lanes merged before the Tyne Bridge- Batwoman!
  • Options
    They hid her in the celebrity pen on the other side of the carriageway!
  • Options

CC2- great race report- I almost felt I was thereimage.

CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

I wanted to start my sprint finish with 400m to go, but the wind was a little too strong so I waited till about 200m to go then hammered it! 36 seconds for the last 0.26 miles, which is 4.57 min miling!

0.26 miles in 36 secs is quite a bit faster than 4:47 miling. image.  Its nearer 2:18/mile- I see where the "Speedy" name comes from!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Speedy is about as good at Maths as I am at directions image  
  • Options
    Huge congratulations to everyone, especially CC2, MrSJ and RLTW on your PB's.
  • Options
    Cracking times from CC2, RLTW (so much for the 9 seconds) and MrSJ.  Loved the race reports, especially from CC2 and Shielsy's from the other side of the fence!
  • Options

1:31:59 for me image. Great event, great atmosphere, Just need to take them hills out..lol. Well done all!

• Options

Great reading all your stories.

It's a race of two halves, isn't it? You can crack on with the first half, going wheeeeee! downhill. It's like freewheeling.

Then reality kicks in. It kicked in big-style at the 8-mile point, when I swore NEVER to do a distance event ever again. That mile, to 9 miles, was the slowest I have ever run and possibly the worst I've ever felt.

Then I stopped at the 9-mile drinks station to glug and got my second wind. 

1:55:10 ain't too shabby for an old man. It's a PB, which has to be qualified by saying that I didn't start doing HMs till I was 47.

• Options
    CC2 - loving that race report.

I was 1:31:57 - that was a p.b (in what was my 3rd half) by just over 5 mins. I couldn't see the early mile markers which put me ahead of time. I wasn't feeling too bad so was able to just about grit out the last few miles at my normal pace and smash my p.b.

Managed to slap Mo's had at the start and ran alongside Joe McElderry for a bit around halfway. He must have over cooked it early on as he was 1:42 in the end. He got a hell of a lot of support though!!
  • Options
    Grabcopy - agree with the freewheeling. Not so keen on the sharp decline coming into South Shields though! - gave the tired legs a bit of a pounding! The second half does have some testing uphill sections.
  • Options
    Well done to everyone who completed the race as grabcopy says what a second half brutal isn't the word. Especially to all whose who got pb's. Even though my trip didn't start well I'm well and truly hooked on the gnr. What a fantastically organised race and the red arrows were something else too. I'll defiantly be back next year already looking forward to it maybe bring the family as it's not the same when no-ones there to meet u at finish line? ran 2.34 today which was just outside what I was hoping for but with only two weeks training can't complain! The support today was amazing!
  • Options

Yeah, I was 54 mins for the first half and 61 for the second, which tells you something about the topography.

Now drinking Cobra and eating Galaxy Counters.

Well done, everyone. Achievements are all relative based on age, gender, willpower and how fortunate you were when the slow-twitch muscle fibres were being handed out.

• Options
    So averse to those hills. Does Norfolk have a HM?
  • Options

Well done CC2 and glad you benefitted from your deserved upgrade to A Zone. Looking at your power of 10 profile I am guessing that you could have also set 10k and 10 mile pbs during this race image

Today was a catalogue of mishaps for me today -

• didn't start my watch as I crossed the line, (still managed to be ahead of the mile markers throughout the race though),
    • started off far too quickly after stating to CC2 in pen A that I was going to be sensible this year doh
    • needed a visit at 6 miles and
    • then tried to make up the lost time too quickly so slightly tweeked a current hamstring issue (only slightly tweeked and have a massage booked for tuesday)
    • I did however feel much stronger going up the John Reid road this year and it seemed to pass much quicker (I was focused at this stage at getting this over as quickly as possible), cheers for the encouragement Shielsy
    • the downhill from the John Reid road was unpleasant as expected and I am looking forward to the pain expression on my face in the official photos

However, I was only slower than last year by 8 seconds, which was a pb ,so I am happy to accept that today simply wasn't my day. I now looking forward to maybe the Leeds Abbey dash to have a go at a 10k PB and then maybe the brass monkey to see what I can do over a flat 10k.

• Options

Reading back

XL the first mile splits for the elite are scary!!

Mr SJ - Well done mate you have earned so well earned rnr before the op

GCE - Well done and good luck in dublin

RLTW - well done on the course pb - It didn't half chuck it down at the end

• Options

Friend and I after run while in Newcastle looking for place to eat and drink, chose posh looking hotel bar. Where the Red Arrows team were relaxing and drinking.

Rather nine Chenin too.....

• Options

Morning all,

Great reports and have loved Reading them.

I knew it wasnt going to be a pb weekend as i'd missed for weeks of training  and stil wasn't fully fit.

Had a heat pad on me bum the night before the race and must have boosted deep heats profits for this year withthe amount i put on on race morning.

It was great meeting with some of you before the race under the bridge.

I was aiming for 2.10 and had my race band on.

Was just before tyne bridge when the arrows came over, brilliant!!! and was averageing 9mins 30secs at 3 miles but feeling ok. (you'd think i should know by now!!) Kept a minute or two up on pace until 8 miles and thought i might be ok. Then Mile 9 was 10.30, mile 10 was over 11mins mile, mile11 was 12.30, mile 12 was 12 minutes BUT kept plodding and didnt stop then over the hill and ddown to the coast. Pulled over to the side and must have looked awful as had loads of encouragement along the coast road, it was all i could do to give a thumbs up in thanks.

Finished in 2.16 .37 not a PB or even a course pb but the 1st 1/2m i ran all the way so chuffed to bits

Now considering next year, have had some advise from Mandie about local races

• Options

morning all, congatulations to all who ran yesterday, in the end the horry story weather didn't really happen, it was great running weather really, i had a hard run as i ran 20 seconds per mile last year, my Garmin showed my finish time as 1.40.22 so was a bit miffed I missed out on the sub 1.40, however the official results show me as 1.39.58 yay image 4 minutes faster than last year, thos mile 2 to 5 and 8 / 9 to 11 drag on a bit , you tend to forget but i didn't lose too much time there.

quick question, where do we find the splits on the Great Run website / they seem to have a new results thing on there or maybe I am missing something?

• Options

2012 thread is up and running, so when people are ready to move across, then feel free !!

rod - yeah its a new result thing and i couldnt find the splits either

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Well done to everyone who ran yesterday; it was great to be at the finish to cheer you all on.

I've put a lot of photos and videos from the race onto our facebook page