Great North Run 2011

Comments

• Thanks Degsy ! I think I am going blind lol !! seems I ran almost consistant 8 min miles across whole race pretty good without a gps Id say !
  • did anyone else have their GPS measuring wrong yesterday or was it just me?
    I started bang on the line yet it was beeping at me too early for the mile markers on every one. Total distance for me was 13.2 miles.
  • I had the same thing Richard.  It was out by a tenth of a mile from quite early on.  I assumed it was something to do with the underpasses but that would normally put me under rather than over.  Did you go under?

Has anybody noticed that they have a different time now?  Text message yesterday said 30 seconds later than official time now.

• degsy-m- wrote (see)

Hi All

I got a text saying my time was 1:31:59, yet my result on the website is 1:31:35?? I timed myself at 1:32. anybody know why this is?

Well done every one some great storys on here image

I got the same Degsy.  Forgot to stop my watch at the end but noticed before I got to the bit where you remove the chip.  Time I got in the text was 10 seconds less than my own which would seem about right.

Official time now is about 30 seconds less than that.  I think the text one was probably right?

• Fellow bemused GPS users!

I had exactly the same experience in terms of mile laps registering earlier than the mile markers and finishing distance of 13.24 (using Garmin 405).

Don M, I thinks someone else has posted same experience about official time 30secs more than txt msg. My own has not changed (first HM in 01:46:49 after starting running in February - still 'on a high' today!!).

Anyone know why the full results list only shows 37+k finishers compared to the publicised 50+k starters? There surely couldn't have been that many non-finishers?? 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    When I crossed the line the clock said 1:21:15. I forgot to stop when I crossed the line so I don't know what that said. But my official time is showing 1:20:52. I reckon the official time is 10 or 15 seconds out but I'm not complaining- faster is better! 
  • Mine's right. Garmin says 5 seconds slower than official time, but I started it on the gun rather than on the line, and stopped it after crossing the finish line so as not to obscure my number at the finish.Text result and online result are the same. 

Garmins always measure races long. Unless you ran the 'racing line' (ie the shortest possible route from start to finish) then you ran further than race distance. Only the athletes right at the front of a mass race like the GNR have a shot at running the racing line. 

• First GNR and first half marathon.  Absolutely loved it!!  I could not believe the support all the way round.  I was aiming to try and get under 2:15 and managed 2:09:34, so I was really chuffed.  I nearly caused a pile up on the final mile when I realised I could get sub 2:10, ended up weaving in and out of people who just stopped dead infront of me!.  I felt really good all the way round, and kept telling myself to slow down otherwise I would pay for it later.  Now I wish I had pushed a little harder  - oh well there is always next year!
  • Thanks, CC2!

I understand now why you talked about pressing 'lap' at the mile markers!!

Anyone got ideas on the number of finishers??

• Alwyn McKee wrote (see)

Thanks, CC2!

I understand now why you talked about pressing 'lap' at the mile markers!!

Anyone got ideas on the number of finishers??

I have always looked at the finishers in the past alwyn, it would seem around 37 or 38 thousand which means either an awfull lot of no shows or dnf's, i would guess no shows, typically the no show rate of races is around 20%, the Great run site seems to have made it hard to see the results further down the field in old races, i had a look the other day and could only view the pages to around 19000
  • Some pretty fantastic times !! Super human sub 1.30 times !!
  • my garmin forerunner 310xt measured 21.26km

• my 305 measured 13.26 too, I have a feeling something may be amiss on the chip timing as the official results gave me 1.39.58 against my time of 1.40.22, previos 3 years the chip time and my garmin time have been exactly the same. Much as I am really happy with having a sub 1.40 if it is wrong i would prefer to know so I can train harder for next time. image
  • 13.2 but I'm not complaining given the occasional dodging and with no 'blue' racing line on the course.

Diff between chip/watch/text time is strange though

Good times everyone though
  • My Garmin showed 13.3 miles!
    Garmin and text message both said 2:06:25 with official result 2:06:00 - think I will stick with the Garmin!
    Got a nasty blister on the side of my big toe and my quads are a bit sore today, but not feeling too bad - obviously didn't run hard enough!!
  • Alwyn McKee wrote (see)

Fellow bemused GPS users!

I had exactly the same experience in terms of mile laps registering earlier than the mile markers and finishing distance of 13.24 (using Garmin 405).

Don M, I thinks someone else has posted same experience about official time 30secs more than txt msg. My own has not changed (first HM in 01:46:49 after starting running in February - still 'on a high' today!!).

Anyone know why the full results list only shows 37+k finishers compared to the publicised 50+k starters? There surely couldn't have been that many non-finishers?? 

Alwyn I had exactly the same reading on my garmin 405 13.24m!!
  • Hi All,

Did my first GNR yesterday and finished in 1:53:52, a PB for a HM for me image.

I felt I could have done better but found myself having to slow down a lot due to the masses of runners and congestion at roundabouts etc. I acidentally tripped another runner up as we both tried to go for the same gap at the same time at the bend at the bottom of the steep downhill near the end...if that runner is reading this I'm truly sorry!

At the start I was in White "F" talking to a man called Duncan who was running in an "Elmo" outfit, did anybody see him or know how he got on?

I thought the whole event was fantastic, the support was amazing, looking forward to next year.

Well done everyone who took part.

• Just checked the GNR site and I have just been bumped up from 880th to 879th!

Finish time is still 1:31:15...if that changes down theres gonna be problems!

Its the photos I want to see!

• Sorry I wasnt able to see everyone under the bridge Sunday morning - had a real nightmare Sunday morning -

Sat I was able to get so over organised it was un real - even by my standards but woke Sunday morning and went down to have breakfast at 7am - nice hotel but breakfast didnt turn uo for over half an hour then I was behing schedule and stuck in traffic in south shields - had to abandon the car and run for the metro back to Newcsatle - had to sprint to throw mt bag on the busses as they were pulling away and so not able to don my costume  .

Eventually found my pen and calmed down when the pre race warmup was happening -

The race itself was great and managed in 2 hrs 19 mins so a PB for the course which I was determined to get so happy shrek - just dissapointed I wasnt able to run in my new costume or to get in the zone and meet under the bridge as usual

Thaught I had lost my bag as couldnt find on the busses for ages and then couldnt find where I had abandoned the car - had to walk miles to find it so I wasnt in the mood for the Sanddancer - instead drove the 5 hours home

All that said - I still love this race and wouldnt miss it for the world - will be booking hotel with early breakfast option asap

Well done everyone

• At least you got there shrek! That's the most important thing!
  • Shrek - sounds an absolute nightmare of a morning for you. Congrats on the course PB despite all that trauma!!

Sorry we didn't get to see you on Sunday but it was so lovely catching up on Saturday - was great seeing you!!

• my nice B&B is closingimage. The owners are going to Malta imageimage.   Having to look for somewhere else imageimageimage
  • Shrek, I looked for your at the finish cos I know you sometimes soak up the sun at the finish.  No wonder I couldn't spot you anywhere.  Well done on your course PB image
  • Do you think they will offer the membership again, I'd love to be guaranteed a place. Much to be learnt from the 1st GNR but thoroughly loved the whole experience including being totally spent during the last mile!!
  • What an amazing weekend and completed in my second fastest half time so very pleased with that.    And the home straight - what a reward for all the hard work in the legs to that point.  Shame to have left whilst the red arrows were performing but got to the metro and straight on.  In Newcastle in plenty of time for the only train back but think it best to stay next time and not have to rush away.  No TV coverage of me high 5ing Mo which the family were looking out for!

• RLTW- you'll just have to buy up the B&B and rent it to runners at cheap rates on GNR weekends image.
  • RLTW -I'm devestated for you re: the B&B. But I like OS's idea, just buy the thing off them, lol.

Shrek - well done on the pb, but what a nightmare you had on Sunday. I was keeping my eyes peeled for your costume, so no wonder I couldn't see you.
  • Great day and thanks for the rain as the sun seemed to follow me for the first 4/5 miles so was a bit hot and then the rain came and  was very welcome.

Timing, I ran with a friend all the way & my Garmin clocked 13.19 miles in 1:57:08. This was also my time on the results me and my friends splits were the same on all until the finish. He finished in 1:56:43 and me 1:57:08 when we were together the whole race so unsure how that works out.

Did anyone else have the same issue? Do you think I should mail them about it ? 

• Stick wrote (see)

Great day and thanks for the rain as the sun seemed to follow me for the first 4/5 miles so was a bit hot and then the rain came and  was very welcome.

Timing, I ran with a friend all the way & my Garmin clocked 13.19 miles in 1:57:08. This was also my time on the results me and my friends splits were the same on all until the finish. He finished in 1:56:43 and me 1:57:08 when we were together the whole race so unsure how that works out.

Did anyone else have the same issue? Do you think I should mail them about it ? 

Sounds like the same 25 to 30 second gap that a few people have seen.  I tried contacting them on twitter but never heard anything back.  I'd love to be 25 seconds quicker but genuinely don't think I was.

• Hi all,

My first GNR and what an amazing day, really overwhelmed.  Went with the intention of just getting round and running the whole course.  Read so many times not to set off quickly so was really careful not to but was a bit unnerved by people flying by., Patted myself on the back through when just after bridge poor spiderman was out cold (hope he was ok) and i was overtaking people walking. 

Was amazed at the amount of people i managed to pass on the long drag up that damn hill and couldn't believe my legs were still working at the point.  As i reached the top of the hill down to the sea front the red arrows flew past staight in front of me, what a surreal sight, and watching their display as i ran down the last mile kept me going.  Finished with a huge smile on my faceimage in 2:42 and yes, i will be back next year and yes, i do wish at this moment i lived in a bungalow tooimage

Thanks to everyone on here who answered my questions and the advice that i received and well done to everyone that ran on Sunday.

Roll on September 2012imageimage