Ironman Wales 2011

Comments

• Nice one FF, good to catch up again.
  • Gr8 report, nice touch
  • Lovely report, FF - a great read to start a long weekend.

I hope Shaun's OK. How is everyone else 2 weeks down the line?

I'm - still nowhere near catching up with home / work / life stuff
    - not really noticing post-IM blues
    - back to thinking 2k is a long swim, but have done a few short ones
    - cycling to work a bit, marvelling at how light the winds are
    - not running, as foot is sore, but glad to have the time to let it recover properly (though still hoping to do Ballbuster in November)
    - looking forward to having another go at cyclocross, as having a go last weekend, on a MTB, was fun!
    - wondering why I felt rather detached from the event at Challenge Henley, even though I enjoyed marshalling
    - totally lacking in plans for next year.

Have you read the letters page in the Tenby local paper (16th Sept)? They're really positive, and a particularly fine one from a chap in Liskeard. This has been a very special event.
  • FF.....a fine performance............outlaw is looking really tempting for next year.......

off to look at the tenby timesimage

• I've entered UK for 2012 and we are currently looking at a warm ish 1/2 for April or May, then one in June as a pre IM race, then the race.
  • Nice report FF and nicely timed ... good to read all about it again as a little lift a couple of weeks post event .

Joddly , are the Tenby local paper letters online at all?.. would be interested to take a read

So 2 weeks post IM...

-managed one short swim ,

-nearly a full week of bike commuting (although much to my annoyance have been "owned" several times this week in the A13 commute racing) ..

-no running yet ..left knee still feels a bit crunchy so have been reluctant to .. maybe i'll try a few miles round the park at the weekend .  

-Have put my name down for outlaw ... have convinced a friend of mine that he needs to as well

-looking forward to a sunday ride out with Golden Boots .. will need to make sure i stay upwind image 

have a great weekend people image  

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Mr Rose - that will give you a decent chance of getting back to Kona then. What date is IMUK ? The Swashbuckler is earlier next yr (May 13th), RNF are also putting on another middle distance race at the start of June next yr with a similar swim/bike route to this Sundays 1/2 but with a road run rather than trail run. Not sure if thats any good for you as its a bit of a trek from where you live.
  • great report FF and I'm perfectly happy to have been "ferreted" (ooer missus) by you on the run. the cramp I was having at the time was the worst I had all day but it nearly ended my day - if it hadn't had gone soon after, I was ready to DNF. thankfully it went - to come back quite a few other times as well

me and P are competing in the GB Cross Tri (off road) Champs tomorrow at Hawley Lake near Camberley - our wave goes at 9:50 - how civilized....image so if anyone's around in the area, come and give us a shout although we're not in pirate kit for this one for various reasons.

the easiest way to get over IM blues is to have some other targets lined up so you can move your focus - doesn't matter if it's soon after like me, or next year like Rosey and those doing Outlaw - it helps you move on.

• It was the Tenby Observer that had the coverage, 6 or 8 pages of letters and photos, but I can't seem to find it on the website at the moment.

I'm still ramping the running back up (Liverpool marathon 8 Oct), just using swimming and turbo-ing as leg stretchers rather than sets or specific workouts.  I'm also having a bit of a hard look at the Ballbuster.  I've just reserved stack loads of triathlon books at the library so I've got some focused reading to do in terms of setting some goals for next year.

• Seems to be positivity all the way, as reported

http://www.tenby-today.co.uk/content/featurepages/web/TO160911032.pdf

http://www.tenby-today.co.uk/featuresdetail.cfm?id=4123

Good to see positive feedback all round, the event should be even bigger next year.
  • Here you go people, a couple of these have brought tears to my eyes but I am soft get !

http://www.tenby-today.co.uk/content/featurepages/web/TO160911032.pdf

http://www.tenby-today.co.uk/featuresdetail.cfm?id=4123

http://www.tenby-today.co.uk/news.cfm?id=34608&commentsent=1&bid=0

enjoy, obviously except the US woman who quite clearly fancies Scott !
  • sorry x-post, and yes TR, will give a good chance but I am looking at hammering it this year and not taking the same attitude as Wales and looking for the last qual time, I want to podium. Takes out the risk of not getting a slot image
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Mr Rose - excellent attitude, that will keep you motivated to put the time/miles in.
  • Reading the bit by Mathew Evans made more all emotional again!

• ^ yeah - shouldn't have read the article with all the comments from the locals in Tenby/ Pembrooksire at work - got a bit steamy eyed

ahem..

• Great report FF, well done!

Loved the letters, especially the one that changed their mind.

For me, all I've managed is one hour turbo, over the last week I've been suffering with some throat problems that's stopped me sleeping and losing any interest in the idea of exercise.  Might have to start doing something in the evenings soon as I seem to get better throughout the day before feeling like c##p the next morning!

• Is that the traditional post-IM lurgy, Alan? Hope you get better soon. It's pretty impressive to have done a turbo, though - that's like doing real training!
  • I've done quite well training wise this week, managed and hour swimming, hour run and nearly 5 hours biking what with commuting.  Was thinking if I could keep ticking over about 8 hours a week through the winter then ramping it up for Outlaw shouldn't be too hard ..... maybe ..... image
  • I'm hoping that's all it is Joddly, it's been bad enough to annoy everyone in work - so job done image

It felt like real training as well!  Also got the home gym out of the loft and set that up, looking forward to my winter training!

• Having entered the Outlaw is keeping me sane.  image

I made a deal with myself that if I managed to get round Wales I would accept a month off through injury if need be - but now don't much fancy honouring that bet.  Two runs this week, just 5 miles and 4 miles but having ITB problems so will leave the running alone for a few days.  Swimming 2 -3 times a week though and a few hours on the bike.  Plan unstructured training until 1 November when I will crack open a new training diary (I like the old school hand written version!) and go full steam ahead towards a better time at the Outlaw.

Great to read that IMW has gone down so well at a local level in Tenby and surrounding areas - delighted to have been there for the first running of a future classic. Problem is, it will be so hard to top! 

• Darkness, I know what you mean about it being difficult to top. I'm reluctant to do IMW 2012 because I just can't imagine anything being as good and I want to preserve the memory.

I'm thinking I'll maybe go down and volunteeer, but not take part (and then spend the whole day gutted I'm not doing it probably, lol)
  • Pingu, I could have gone with the same post. Don't want to do it just in case it's not as good second time around, Never done the same Tri twice. Think I should volunteer to payback for those that provided me with a good experience, but not sure if I could be there and not race.

Maybe just the Long Course Weekend, and then volunteer.
  • M.Tri..you won't be able to do the Long Course weekend as you will be busy at ATimage
  • +1 for the idea of not wanting to ruin memories

definately keen to either volunteer - or be part of the Pirate posey!

• IP and M.Tri - I never do the same IM twice for the reason that I might get disappointed the 2nd time around from whatever experience I had 1st time. it's different in shorter distances where you can see more return for effort but IM is different as there are other variables at play over a long day. it's good to see the race from the other side as well and having done it, you can add something to the support you are giving others competing. it's always nice to get support and help from those that have been there before

we're volunteering next year - I think if there are enough pirates volunteering, I might be able to swing with 8iron a pirate station - perhaps transition as that's easier than having to go out and man a feed station on the run or bike.

if we get enough of us we can work rotas so we can get out to support at times, but there would need to be some volunteer support in transition at all times from early to very late (post finish for bike collection)

thoughts???

anyway - if you want to do another IM, go do one of the foreign ones - I can guarantee you'll get a great experience at them as well. or support Outlaw or Challenge Henley
  • No plans for a branded IM events next year. Entered an ultra marathon, and looking at an Enduroman event, or The Big Woody. But I'll be down volunteering at Tenby, daughters up for it as well.
  • Outlaw for me next year but it certainly sounds like a few of us are up for some Pirate volunteering at IMW next year! Can't wait! image