Running tights etiquette

Comments

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    are you Victorian Dadfrom Viz??? image

No, why are you Roger Mellie? image

• absolutely -------------------------------------------------------->>>

"Roger says "bollocks""

• i wear tights when it's superMEGA cold outside - i like the way they take the wind chill off my skinny legs

i wouldn't wear capris though - they look nice on the ladies, but on men they make you look like a homo IMO
  • homo?? we're all homos - mankind is Homo sapiens

rather a deprecating comment IMO
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/images/designs/DM0314.jpg

'They look gay'.

ahem................... image

oh jeez, is this STILL banging on.

...but its 3/4s now is it? 

Hmmm well personally I think they look a bit crap.....and not overly flattering, but I have a couple of pairs (one for running and one for cycling) and wear them when the weather is appropriate (too cold for shorts, but not cold enough for full tights)...but quite frankly I dont care....function!

• but quite frankly I dont care....function!

hear hear.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

3/4 tights for men should be sold only in pink with matching fur trim and pom-poms.

In my ever so 'umble opinion. image

• Thank you!

This thread has just made the last half an hour of my day at work fly by... the funniest thread i've read, amazing.

- Off home to don the tights and get running...

• My wife said she'd never imagined the day when her husband would wake up and say 'hmmm...shall I wear my tights today?' ! image

I wear Skins (ones down to knees) most of the year and long tights in the cold winter. Don't wear shorts anymore.

• I have 4 pairs of running tights  Nike go running and Brooks...over the top i know but run at 6 in the morning 4 times a week and my thighs freeze ...Love them they are comfy warm and no chaffing and Don't give a shit what people think and don't care if i look gay as I'm all man who just happens to be gay ...lads get over it and do what's best for you ...,,,if the are good for world class athletes they are good enough for you,,, but come the spring and summer ill be back in my shorts looking like a real man image

• There is no functional reason that lycra should be shiny! And that is all what it is about, lycra is shiny simply because it enhances the body shape in a sexy way. Some of us are sensitive to it, the rest apparently isn't. Male or female, as long as the body is OK, lycra looks sexy, whatever the length: shorts, 3/4, tights. Professional wear of brands like Asics for World athletes, appearing in tournaments, is far more shiny (sometimes almost wet look like, also for the dudes), but this shiny gear really isn't improving performance, it is all about seduction!
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    they probably forgot to put the link in to where you can buy sexshiney lycra asics louis vitoon running kit at specail offer price
  • I wear 3/4s and I'm as fit as f***. They are practical and look good on me - my wife thinks the same.

getting a bit colder now though so the full lengths will be extracted from the wardrobe soon...
  • I think they look fine on men. I am female and when I first started to run I put shorts over the top as I was self conscious, but I think the shorts drew attention to that, so now I just wear the tights. I see plenty of men wearing them when I'm out on a run and non of them look silly. I find them really comfy, even in summer, if you go for the 3/4 length or cycling length. I find loose shorts ride up too much and you spend more time on your run trying to re-adjust yourself lol. Go for the lycra!
  • Lycra is suitable for nervous ladies, homosexuals, vegetarians, communists, Europeans and people who run 5ks.

I am a man.

I wear this.

http://42ndblackwatch1881.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/006-10.jpg

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    doesn't it itch when you get sweaty??
  • And rather a high arch in the shoe....image

Although good pocket provision for energy gels and pipe tobacco. i'm assuming a pocket watch rather than a Garmin?

• Amazing how much running fashion has changed over the years when this forum started.

White colour compression wear/ tights is becoming more acceptable in mainstream sports. Take this video for example:

http://youtu.be/vkjQxRXPLr8
  • 3/4 tights have benefits, while long tights i have difficulty to understand the benefits of the zip up leg is old fashion of sorts.

For one thing 3/4 or capri tights give compression at your knees joints and don't bunch up loosely like long tights at ankles.
    What is the deal with the ankle zipper for long tights. I understand people wore long tube socks and needed to unzip there tights to put them on or to adjust, but today who the hell wears long socks? We all now see men wear short ankle socks don't we? Only see dorks or geeks wear long socks or baseball, basketball, football players etc..which they need to have no choice of there uniform.

As calling males who wear 3/4 running tight style for men gay or girly is unbelievable...
    It is that type of ignorant thinking that gays have a proclivity in wearing running tights more so then other males sounds so absurd. Anyone who speaks of this or writes about it is, dare i say, redneck or very immature person.
    This would be hurtful to gay people to hear even though they have no interest in wearing clothing like 3/4 tights or be associated with people wearing something they feel looks odd or ugly to there sense of manly style.
    If you ever notice gay men wear clothing much more masculine then a heterosexual male. I'm not into the gay scene or populous but what i observed from gay males time to time on there attire, it is more conservative refined and to the liking of many mainstream people.

The insane thinking that clothes have something to do with your sexual preference is preposterous. These hatting group opinions are very foolish, in clothing make or say, something about sexual predisposition.

As if you called every black man N**er because it suited your view. Saying every N**er either plays sports, sings, deals drugs and abandons there children or is in prison. What does it say about you when you agree or say these things to black people in general?

The same goes to when you slander or label falsely men who are pleasant, decent, respectful heterosexual working out in adequate 3/4 running tight attire or leggings how's that make them feel?

For those who judge men who are not suppose to wear 3/4 capri tights only that women look good in. Last time i checked men have legs and haven't grown a tail in the back of there ass.
    Most men who are fit have tapered legs, ankles, to calves, to knees, to thighs and narrow hips. While many today's women get away having no shape to there lower body only to be described as elephant leg syndrome, don't need to say, or describe, what i mean, it does not look very attractive. While women routinely go out wearing tights, as if they got nothing to wear buying bread. Men finishing or in route do the same as women buying bread it is frowned upon as incorrect same standard should be kept for the gals.
    I know when i complete my workouts in the gym i change into street clothing when doing errands afterwords or walking to my car. Same consideration should be dawned onto women's clothing when they walk around civilization, stop from being lazy and change out of your smelly sweaty clothes, please..

Let's not judge people on what they wear or how they look accept people that are different not in a bad way but respectful.
    By changing peoples opinions on accepting men wearing capri tights as normal mainstream workout clothes for both genders. Only then we all can get rid of hatting, mockery and foolish childish behavior some people generally feel they need to write about or spew out of there mouth like snake venom. Even those who say nothing and don't accept the clothing of choice men can pickup mocking looks or ill will feeling from others without hearing a word.
  • "Only see dorks or geeks wear long socks" ... "Let's not judge people on what they wear or how they look"  About time you look for consistency in your opinions. I wear long socks thanks very much, they help transition to winter from shorts season and can be used to regulate heat if the weather is uncertain when starting out, in much the same way that arm-warmers can be used with T-shirts.
  • "Only then we all can get rid of hatting, mockery and foolish childish behavior..."

Don't get me started on hats

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

In summer... short shorts.
    In winter... long tights.

The middle ground, or autumn as it insists on being called, has no business in my running. It is either cold enough for tights or it isn't!

• The zip on tights is really useful for me because after a really long run in the cold I'm tired and find my coordination slips enough to make getting my feet out of long tights difficult (might be a low blood sugar thing i get), the same for a 100km + bike ride, those zips mean it's quikcker to get changed and then can have that life saver sandwich.
  • I apologize if I offended geeks or retards wearing tube socks. Just find people who wear them must have socks older then me. Only reason why someone may wear tube socks is they are layering and have the wrong shoes for colder weather.
    There are more modern designs of fabric that wick moisture away from feet and still keep you warm. Also you can wear sleeves for ankles, calves, elbows that are much better and designed for a purpose.
    Only my observation seeing guys wearing wool work socks over there running tights and nylon running shorts on top. To me it's like going to Halloween party dressed in a costume very odd.
    To me doesn't make sense seeing women wearing skorts or jacket tied around the hips. Wear tights properly only reason people who hide there bodies in tights feeling akward is because of low self esteem. Who cares how you look. I find trendy clothes annoying people wear like yoga boot pants but most women buy it for style purposes not for practical reasons.

As for getting into out of tights easier with zip ankles I find it more annoying. Most times I forget to unzip and try to get out of the tights finding the zipper caught not undoing. So I'm left my tights between my legs not being able to get out only to pull them back up and unzip.
    Leggings are much better just pull them off no problems and you get a perfectly compressed fabric unlike zip up tights at ankles.

Maybe I'll try Capri tights with long baseball knee high socks how would that look go over??..

• I am having the same dilemna but for a different reason - I will only wear them if they are supposed to make me go faster or longer etc - when I ran the canberra marathon everyone was wearing them and thought they really helped

So if anyone can tell me that they will get me going faster or longer than I am prepared to have my kids/wife/friends/neighbours take the **** out of me - if not then I wont wear them!
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    They will make you faster. Enjoy.
  • Wearing tights will benefit you physically but mentally as well. You will have your brain sense fear of flight. Meaning you will perceive or hear many people looking at you oddly. This will make you feel anxiety thus releases chemicals in your brain helping your physical body endure the running your about to take on. It's a primitive animal instinct of survival like cat being chased by a dog.

You may mentally feel that everyone around you is looking at you. The feeling of having a second skin which tights makes you feel as though your naked. So every time you pass anyone or have someone running behind you will make you want to runaway from there stares making you stronger faster as a result. That's all true unless your in physically bad condition then there will be a wall you hit and will not matter either way.

When i first put on compression gear the top, bottoms you feel as your the center of attention and not in a good way. People may mock you and makes you feel uncomfortable, angry then I focuses my energy to the task at hand getting better results then I have ever achieved.
    If you try it once you may never do it again only because it was to challenging mentally and physically to go through it.
    Good luck.
  • AllNew wrote (see)
    Dan - proper LOL at 'Steven and the twins'
    Oh so did too!

Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Tracksters - only for the over 50's

Phew - I'm old enough to be unfashionable!

Can someone please give this new runner bird a dictionary of dress?

Running tights?