Crap at relationships

Comments

• I would rather have a best friend thanks. Frankly I've given up. Have much the same view as Min. image
  •  hey , we can share nice pudding n crumble recipes togther-aaaaahh how cute, i'll send some up for you n Richie boyimage

goldfish are good as best friends...although one of ours escaped onto the living room carpet other day- think it was in protest at the new food i gave it. apple crumble prob not best thing for them, sinks too fastimage

• I'm on my own, just made a chocolate cake that can feed 8-12..., its why i've taken up running!

*do people still iron?!*
  • im going to be brave and admit this- i do  not stand ironing piles of clothes!! i iron it night before as we need it. this is because there is so much stuff in the wardrobes that itd just get all creased again!- whats the flippin point of it?

merrylegs-chocolate cake sounds yummy. i saw a nice pud recipe yesterday, it was for toffee apple waffle pud...sounds lovely

• Mmm toffee apple waffle pudding...think I might need that recipe!!

I also do a mean pie/crumble with home grown apples.

I don't really iron at all tbh, didn't think I was in a minority tho. Don't mind washing up I have to admit...
  • HAVE to do  washing up-cant go out of house and leave even a cup in the sink-is that borderline OCD ?image
  • Erm...yes!!

But then i'm a bit of a messy person...not unclean you understand!!
  • i think its becsuse i think my mum will pop in and see stuff in the sink so i always have to have it tidy!!image
  • I understand that pressure...I now live 200miles away from mine image

• Well now interesting direction again on here

PS I don't iron unless Ihave to - I own an iron but not an ironing board so it is difficult to iron properly

Regarding feminist types - I used to work in a brass foundry and according ot the job wore foundry gear - boots foundry green head gear all of that.  I am also very down to earth which the guys were very relieved about having had rockets placed under their arses in case they swore too much and they were told to remove the 'calendars'.  I just said if there were ore than 2 in one place I would put one of my own up and my sense of humour made some of them blush, anyway................................

This placement student appeared one summer and was given the job of rewritting the sexual harassment protocols.  I am so glad I got there first she would have caused me no end of problems - exessive leaning was a crime, they could only make eye contact and couldn't look anywhere else, she wanted to dictate language.  I could still hacve cracked any jokes I liked - ot not harassment when a women does see imageAnd then she tarted around the foundry in unsuitable (is potentially dangerous) floaty and see through skirts and low cut tops and complained when the guys looked at her - of course they did they are men and their usual fare was me dressed for the job.

I like to pay my way but f someone has asked me out I will let them pay the first time and then sort it out from there.  Right now I couldn't pay anyway I can afford to eat but nothing else. An addition to the finding blokes problem is moving to a new location wehre I haven't had steady work so regualrly going to places wehre there are people in general let alone blokes has proved to be difficult

• One of the problems at my age is on dating websites the number of married men that think that if you are single at my age you must be so desperate that you would be grateful to get involved with them.  I have a profile on one which clearly states no married men because (and yes this is on the profile as well)  if they are lying to their wifes it tells me all I need to know about their integrity and backbone.  I still had a huge slanging match with one who mailed me to say what about it if he is unhappily married - he got both barrels and didn't like it one bit.  Went on about staying their for his kids but his wife didn't know what he was up to and it shows quite alot of arrogance to assume that kids don't pick up on unhappy marriages and aren't affected

Not to mention the insult to my integrity.........

• The One and Only XFR Bear wrote (see)
    Corinthian wrote (see)
    . Newton's Principia Mathmatica is a rape manual (Sandra Harding)

crikey she's changed since being in Girls Aloud. image

This isn't direct at you Lee, you just made me think of it.  I have heard women say stuff like "I'm a bit old fashioned and expect the man to pay for me" - I wonder how they'd respond to "I'm a bit old fashioned and expect a woman to cook and clean for me"?

Oops... I had to Google 'Girls Aloud' to get that Bear... sometimes I think I'm on a different planet image

Re feminism - Hash has a point - the original feminists made possible huge social changes, usually for the good.  The ones I was citing are the extreme  'academic feminists' ... or bunch of sexist fruitcakes to use the technical term. 

Re ironing - if God would have wanted everything smooth he wouldn't have given us oldies wrinkles.  I have been in a couple of relationships where the woman sort of took over cleaning duties when they moved in (And to my shame I was happy to let them!) 

• Married men on dating sites are cocks. Dob em inimage
  • Lee the Pea wrote (see)
    I hate washing up too. I wonder if anyone likes it?

I like washing up, and laundrying, and I love cooking.

I don't iron,  but then I don't wear ironed clothes, so I don't expect anyone else to do it for me.

I'll clean a bath, but not after every time I use it -- that seems like OCD! Once a week or so should be enough.  

But I definitely don't do gardening. (Apart from lawnmowing, that falls under the "operating petrol-driven machinery" clause)

So the question arises, IF you do a household chore THAT YOU ENJOY, does that count? Do you get credit for that? Or does it not count, because, after all, you were enjoying it?

• That kind of academic "gender" feminism is just another variant of Marxism.  Same hatred, same flowery academic language to cover it up, same cockeyed pseudo-theoretical orientation, same violent "solutions".
  • Corinthian wrote (see)

Oops... I had to Google 'Girls Aloud' to get that Bear... sometimes I think I'm on a different planet image

I wouldn't've known that either Corinth and I definitely wouldn't've been embarrassed about not knowing.
  • Tell tale sign of a married man on dating sites;

No picture, no height, no weight, no description at all, only 5 descriptions if any is  male, age, don't want kids, don't want marriage & looking for women of ages 18-50. Yes i have a few and you stink, next time I will agree to meet you, take pictures a rat your ass out all over the internet and media image Yes I have come across a few.

As for ironing can't stand it, it hurts my wrists so I avoid clothes that need ironing.

When single I do my own cleaning, when in a relatonship and OH won't help out then he gets to foot half the bill for the cleaner instead image (Parklife this gives more time for dirty rabbit sex)

Now to the important stuff;

How do we arrange a dating thread?

• MikeFrog you obviously don't like them but academic feminism and Marxism are quite different, feminism believes the primary divisions in society are between men and women while Marxism states that it's between the classes. It was an area of furious debate last century. Not sure which side Girls Aloud backed, maybe that's why they aren't recording together, because of ideological differences.

• Well, you've proved you know bugger all about Marxism Mike - which surprises me, given your evident philosophical leanings.

If you want to understand a little bit more google

Dialectical materialism

Hegelian dialectics and Marx's interpretation

Hegemony

The German Ideology

and Terry Eagleton's excellent Marx and Freedom. (Only 45 pages long)

Then you can complete this 3000 word Essay

"Savouring a peach or enjoying a string quartet are aspects of our self actualisation just as much as building dams or churning out coat-hangers" Discuss

If you get over 70% I'll argue Marxist theory with you until the cows come home image
  • Do I have to agree with the (assumptions behind the) proposition to get 70%?

To give a more serious answer, Corinthian, I am familiar with most of those things, though not Terry Eagleton, for which, thanks. And so I am aware of how Marxists would frame Marxist theory.

My own take on is that it's structurally like (not identical, which is why I used the word "variant") the kind of feminism people were alluding to, or for that matter, to racism or fascism.  The structure is: you have inner demons, you need a hate group to project them on. That can be a race, a gender, or a class.... and then you need complex sounding but meaningless academic theories with long words (like dialectical materialism) to justify the "inevitability" of your hatred projected onto that group.  An in-speak emerges that nobody outside the movement can even understand. The use of common sense, or questioning any of the assumptions, results in expulsion from the movement. The movement will, generally, whether we're talking about marxism, racism, or feminism, tend frequently to splinter and fragment, and debate amongst its own splinters, while ignoring any debate with "normal people" outside.

• image I am more likely to be able to name all the members of Girls Aloud and sing their greatest hits than discuss that. image .... but I am a bit thick.
  • See also "People's front of Judea"....

• image I think you'll find it is the Judean's People's Front...

Splitter!!! image
  • Do I have to agree with the (assumptions behind the) proposition to get 70%?

Nope – but you need to display your understanding of why they are there

To give a more serious answer, Corinthian, I am familiar with most of those things, though not Terry Eagleton, for which, thanks. And so I am aware of how Marxists would frame Marxist theory.

Do you have to be a Marxist to frame Marxist theory?  And which part of the theory  – there are so many?  As for Eagleton, I’m not sure he’s a Marxist any more – he’s a practicing Roman Catholic and a very vociferous critic on ‘New Atheism’ – but blimey, he writes a good book.

My own take on is that it's structurally like (not identical, which is why I used the word "variant") the kind of feminism people were alluding to, or for that matter, to racism or fascism. 

Category error:  The difference between feminism, racism, fascism and Marxism is that the first three are based upon the notion that there are certain innate group characteristics, which will form the basis of a political ideology or way of seeing the World.  Marxism is an interpretation of history – there is no focus on innate characteristics of individuals, groups, or sections of society.  (Ah, what about class – I hear you say).  If social class was static and immovable – I’d agree; but it isn’t, it is mobile, fluid even.  The focus of Marxism is not with the individual but on the way that the economy of any given society structures that society (The economic base determines the political/social/cultural superstructure)

The structure is: you have inner demons, you need a hate group to project them on. That can be a race, a gender, or a class....

Sounds more like a meeting of the Young Conservatives to me…

• Corrie - that's too many isms for my fuddled brain at half ten....

Remember its later here babes! image

And after all, I'm only an ickle female with blonde hair and no brain who lives to pleasure my man.image

• and then you need complex sounding but meaningless academic theories with long words (like dialectical materialism). to justify the "inevitability" of your hatred projected onto that group.  An in-speak emerges that nobody outside the movement can even understand.

How very obtuse of you Mike.  Dialectics has been around since the 14th Century, probably before that, Marxism as an interpretation of dialectics follows logically through from Kant, to Hegel, through to Marx.  Please don’t say you’re heading down the route of Right Wing anti-intellectualism which has dogged conservative thought since Hobbes… so disappointing.   Look, I don’t understand Quantum Electrodynamics or Baseball – but I wouldn’t be arrogant enough to suggest they were meaningless – If I live long enough I’ll make it my business to understand both.  

The use of common sense, or questioning any of the assumptions, results in expulsion from the movement.

Which movement is this?  Tell me you’re not conflating Academic Marxism with political activism?  The two do have some crossover, I’ll admit but it’s a bit like suggesting that the Early English History Department are all rampant Saxons.  Marxism is a tool, a way at looking at events and understanding them.  Suggesting Marxism is about hate is tantamount to suggesting studying animal husbandry is about buggery or physics is about making atom bombs. 

The movement will, generally, whether we're talking about marxism, racism, or feminism, tend frequently to splinter and fragment, and debate amongst its own splinters, while ignoring any debate with "normal people" outside

That’s true – though I cannot remember the last time a Physicist pulled me at a party to discuss Cern, or a member of the Jockey Club rang me up to debate the curbing of the whip in handicaps – probably because I wouldn’t have the foggiest idea of what they were on about.

Anyway... I think to bring the thread back on course - I think I've just found out why I don't get second dates

• They all tell me its because you don't put out...image
  • I'm saving myself for you... dahlinkimage