The Alternative Everyone's Welcome GNR 2011 Thread

2»

Comments

• and anyway, holy Moses, I have a 120-odd mile cycle ride to do Sat/ Sun - now that is worth worrying about! Should be packing but can't face it so am doing lists!image
  • SourSusan wrote (see)

Oh dear, I see what you mean about the "other" GNR thread BBS - what did you do?image Looks like you are better out of it. Still, some of them seem pretty riled that there is an alternative thread. Why?

Hello Stringy - . . . . ... . . . You think we are cliquey on here? We haven't been going long enough or have enough people posting yet to be accused of that. Maybe I am missing the joke? 

Sour Susan - which "other" GNR thread have you been reading and what is it that you see?  If it's last year's thread or the new 2011 GNR thread I can't say I recall anyone (apart from Stringy) even being aware of this 'alternative'  thread, never mind riled by it. Who commented? I'll get 'em for you image        Stringy is having a joke (naughty boy!). We (GNR 2011) enjoy the occasional light-hearted banter.  No-one minds this thread being here.   Threads may sometimes seem to be cliquey when many of the contributors are long-time posters and they get familiar with each other.  Maybe that makes new folks feel left out but it's not intentional and we always try to answer questions and include newbies in the conversation.  It's hard sometimes when the thread is moving fast and pages turn before questions are answered and with loads of new folks sometimes people get over-looked.  It's a very informative thread and has many people who have done loads of GNRs with a wealth of experience.  Please don't write it off so readily.

oh, and BBsloth didn't 'do' anything, except maybe not feel as much a part of the thread as we would have hoped.

BBSloth wrote (see)

Hi all - just an alternative thread for GNR newbies. Everyone's welcome hereimage and come and go as you please. No cliqueyness allowed

BBsloth- I have absolutely no problem with you setting up whatever alternative thread you may wish but It is perhaps a little unfortunate that you chose to start it on a slightly bitter-sounding note which implies certain things about the rest of us and clearly had an effect on your reader's opinion of a very genuine thread for people interested in GNR.  You could so easily have  started your new thread in a much more positive tone. I hope you don't mind me saying that .Anyway, water under the bridge as they say.

RtG- Hope your club run went well. I still keep thinking about joining one but I'm not sure i want the committment that brings.  If I had got in to VLM then maybe I would have done. But I didn't image 

BBsloth, forgot to say' goodluck with the bike ride'  Bloomin' long way mate!  Hope you've got a nice gel saddle and padded breaches!

• Don't mind at all RLTW. Like I said all are welcome here. Free country/ free speech. We can agree to disagree.image Your experience of the other thread was/ is different to mine, let's leave it at that. I don't want to discuss the ins and outs on public forum or make of it more than it is, but please be clear, I have no problem with you and many others on the GNR 2011 (and predecessor) threads. Indeed, many of you have become FB cyber friends and we chat on there. Fact is, a handful were very clearly intent on making me feel unwelcome on the GNR 2010 (and predecessor) threads - that's their prerogative and I finally got the message that I was wasting my time.  

I returned this year but thought I would set up a new thread, where I can discuss GNR 2011 and other things in a room I feel comfortable, which is my prerogative. If it takes off, great - if not, them's the breaks.

Hope that makes sense. Amen.

Anyway, I need to go pack.image

• Hi folks,

Had a good club run last night, 6.11 miles. Forgot how much I enjoy running in the dark - somehow makes you feel you are running faster than you are, lol.  Started off in the third (slowest) group as I wasn't sure how my legs would feel after a long bike ride the day before.  Felt a bit sluggish at first, but then really got going and did the last half at the front of the group image. Will probably do a 10 miler over the weekend, then a taper before Bridlington Half next weekend.

Re forums - yeah, draw a line under it I reckon is best. No harm in having another one, and there aren't so many posts to catch up on with this one, LOL.  I think that's one of the problems with a 'big' forum - it can be easy for messages to get 'lost' can't it.

BBS - All the best with the bike ride! I'm sure you'll be fine. After all, you have done cycling over the last few weeks, to work and back etc haven't you.  I assume you can stop for some breaks? That makes all the difference. I did a 48 mile event last year, and wasn't doing loads of training beforehand. In fact, I'd only gone up to 30 in training, but somehow felt that I would be able to do more so felt okay on the day.  Make sure you do some good stretching on the Saturday evening, and don't forget the padded cycle shorts... image.

• Hi all,is it ok if I join this thread.Have run the GNR the last couple of years and thoroughly enjoyed it.As a member I am guaranted a place for the next couple of years,so will def be running it next year.
  • Hi Mandy.  Good to be in the group where you know you have a place next year.  I'm a member too and it helps to focus if you know you're in. What time did you do this year?  I can't seem to crack the sub 2:30 barrier at GNR.  2:3:08 image.  But I've done better at Royal Parks half last year.  I'm, doing it again tomorrow !!!  So we'll see.  I should be able to get sub 2:30 there but maybe not another PB as I've done no training this year, only races. That's not recommended by the way!

Bridlington RtG ?  is that near you?  I've never tried running in the dark.   I like to see the ground in front of my feet image Were you out on the streets?

Totally unprepared for tomorrow, in every respect.  Better go find my Garmin . . . . and my shorts . . . and my race pack.   ooh, and I still need a throw-away fleece!  

• Hi Run like the wind,thank you for the welcome.My time at the GNR this year was 2:00:54,which I was more than happy with as I ran 2:09:56 last year.Plus I started in the green pen with my friend who had been put back a pen from last year,so had more weaving to do to get past all the walkers.I was more prepared this year for how hilly the route can be,especially that slope just before you get to South Shields.

I live in Norwich,Norfolk but I know Brid very well as my mum is from Hull and as kids every year we would spend a week on the north east coast,Filey was the usual destination.Good luck with your run tomorrow,let us know how you got onimage

• Hi Mandy - welcome! And hello RLTW and everyone else. Sorry for not replying sooner but have had the little matter of 130-odd cycling miles to do over the last two daysimage...it was just fantastic, other than a worrying "getting lost" in Kielder Forest in the pitch black due to a wrong turn - at least there were 4 of us and when we got back eventually another 4 had made the same mistake!

Mandy - sounds like you are going good guns and improving your times - always pleasing - I have been running on and off for about 10 years or so (more off in the last couple of years due to trouble with feet and general lack of motivation) but I want to get back to the point where I can do a few 10ks a year and the GNR. Trouble is I have now discovered cycling which I love and is much less painful for me, plus has the practical benefit of a handy commuteimage

How did the race go RLTW?

...well, off to get a bath and shower.

• Great thanks BBsloth. Finished in 2:26:37 so that's faster than GNR though slower than the same race last year.  I've trained a lot less though so I'm happy with the result.
  • Well done RLTW.

Well that Radox bath worked wonders. Now for all the usual Sunday night sorting.image

• Hello BBS - well done - that's amazing!imageimageimage How much training did you do? I could never do anything like that. What was the route? What sort of bike have you got?

Sorry to be clueless but what is "PMA"?

Hi RLTW - same to you - that's brilliant. Is it a hard course? I need to think about entering some events even if to get over the nerves - but I worry about coming last. I just can't imagine lining up with proper runners. All sounds silly I know.

I am trying a spinning class this week and am worried sick about that but I am determined to give it a go. Wish me luck. have any of you tried spinning? I have heard it is hard work but good for weight loss.

Anyway, lots of Sunday night jobs for me too including ironing (groan). Good night!

• Good luck with your spinning class this week SourSusan,I tried it a couple of times and didn't mind it,but prefer peddling outside.

Congratulations BBS,total respect from me.I cycled a 50 miler recently for the British heart foundation and I felt knackered afterwards.Mind,it didn't help that my mountain bike is like pushing a tank.Couple of weeks after I bought my son's racing bike of him and the difference it's made is awesome.What sort of bike did you use?plus how are your legs today?

Hi RLTW,well done on your run yesterday.Did you enjoy it as much as the GNR?was it a very busy race?Interested to know.

Anybody else have a good run/race/ at the weekend?

• Hi Mandy - felt alright actually - even managed to cycle home from work todayimage...totally different to running. Cycling is so much easier on the joints. Hills were a killer and the off-road bits weren't suitable for my bike, but otherwise not too bad. Good gang of us so good craic too.

My bike is a Marins Muirwoods 29er which looks like this (only caked in mud now):-

I love it.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/product-images-large/marin-muirwoods-29er-urban-bike-55200.jpg

better go- kids to get to bed. Cacth up later.

SourSusan - spinning is a killer but very good for fitness. Do it!image

• SourSue - just read your post properly sorry. PMA = positive mental attitiude. 

I didn't do much in the way of training but have been cycling to work and back for the last 4 weeks or so (11 miles or so each way). Was really surprised I didn't find it tougher/ hurt more today. It was the "C2C Reivers Route" but "only" the Carlisle-Kielder-Newcastle bit.image Loved it. I may be sacking the running I have to say...image

• Hi LBimage...welcome..wilkommen...where've you gone? image Flying visit?image
  • I am like Mary Poppins! When the wind changes I fly away! image
  • Mary Poppins eh? That's one name for it image
  • OK - I just like tormenting children image
  • imageam I missing something?

How did you manage to do that cycle on such little practice? I just couldn't do that. You must have loads of PMA. I have loads of NMA I am afraid but I am trying to improve.

Went to spinning tonight - nearly killed me. The instructor is a bit army-like so not sure it is for me - I need to be gently cajoled, not screamed at.

So, I came out of gym and bought a Grab Bag of Quaversimage

• SourSusan wrote (see)
    imageam I missing something?

Don't think so. How d'ya mean?image

SourSusan wrote (see)
    How did you manage to do that cycle on such little practice? I just couldn't do that. You must have loads of PMA. I have loads of NMA I am afraid but I am trying to improve.

I surprised myself SourSusan - my egenral fitness must be okay and cycling does not hurt anywhere near as much as running. I have gait problems and have put weight on so running is not enjoyable for me these days. I used to run a lot (1hr 39mins GNR in 2004/ 10k PB 45 mins) but that is getting longer and longer ago...PMA I don;t have much of but seem to "find" it on endurance exercise.

SourSusan wrote (see)
    Went to spinning tonight - nearly killed me. The instructor is a bit army-like so not sure it is for me - I need to be gently cajoled, not screamed at.

So, I came out of gym and bought a Grab Bag of Quaversimage

imageI love Quavers. Didn't know you could get grab bags...maybe give the spinning another go and if it is the instructor you don't like, try a different class? I know what you mean - the army method does not work with me either - I would mumble "f**k off" all the way through and never go back.

• Love the bike BBS - what does the BB stand for by the way? Love that bike by the way. Why did you mention Quavers? Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhimage I am going to try the spinning again for a few weeks yet. Apparently you get used to him - and he is nice to look atimage. Your running times are very fast I think.

Welcome LiverB - what's your stats with running? Newbie/ oldie?

• Hello Sour Sue - BBS stands for BlithburySloth. Blithbury is where I am from - a little village/ hamlet near Uttoxeter, Staffs.

LB will love you querying if she is an oldieimage

• I thought LB would have risen to that.

Where've y'all gone? Quavers..........image

• Hiya folks,

Kept forgetting to look in image. Quite pleased with this week's training so far: 1 recovery run (3M); 1 tempo run (3.5M); 1 long run (9M) plus a 15 mile bike ride. May do an intervals session on the treadmill tomorrow but will see how I feel.

Hope everyone else's running is going okay.

Just off to check the footie results, to see if Sunderland beat Aston Villa! image