Options

Brass Monkey HM 2011

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Sub 1.40 in my dreams - let's hope for a still day.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Half a stone overweight.  Definitely drinking too much tonight.  Anything not too far from Wardi will do.

• Options
    Down to just 1.5 stone over weight and coming back from injury.

When I entered I was hoping for sub 1:23, now sub 1:40 is looking hopeful!
  • Options

Hi folks. results on my site now (if you want 'em)

www.ukresults.net/2011/brass.html{/url] [/p

• Options
    why does it keep doing that - have they changed the url setup on RW? Navigate to my site, 2011, brass monkey - should be simple enough!!
  • Options
    Am all wobbly after a long day standing up - it's me that needs something to eat, not my finger after all! Can't type proper now!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the results, that was fast! My aim was sub-1:35 and I just made it by the skin of my teeth image
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Excellent service as always John

I started at the back with Mrs Podro and ambled around in 1:36:51. Slight breeze at 10.5 miles but otherwise perfect conditions. Apart form the carnage of getting numbers and consequent delayed start another well organised event.

• Options

Thanks for the info.  Chip time was 1:52:57 for me.  Just a little under the 1.53 which is what I thought.

Great race and really well organised.  It was the first for me this year and I will definetley be back next.

• Options
    Such a bummer, I booked this race expecting to challenge for a PB, then got injured and had a long lay off so had to trot round in a PB+10 minutes pace due to lack of recent fitness.

And conditions out there today were just about perfect. Oh well, always next year!
  • Options
    My second Brass Monkey and although it was way off my PB, still a great race.  Every marshall was either clapping or cheering which is fab, made miles 10 and 11 bearable
    The only negative is my BM shirt is way too small.  They only had Large, so if anyone has a XL and fancies a swap, let me know. 

I ran with a fetchie from mile 4 till around 8, if she reads this, "cheers for the chat, made the 4 miles or so whizz along"

See you all next year image
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

If anyone's interested - a nice little piece on BBC Radio York from yesterday's Brass Monkey on the i-player here

The whole feature is about 5 minutes long and starts at 1'28'20 into the programme. A good interview with marders (race winner) starts about 1'30'50ish. Worth a listen, but only available on i-payer until the weekend.

• Options

This was my first BM but though the course and the marshalling was brilliant, I thought the chip/number issue was an absolute shambles. I'm told that after the race the queues for refreshments were also huge.

I've never been to such a badly organised race. Why couldn't they just send the numbers/chips out in the post?

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

in previous years there hasn't been a problem with chip and number issue. The desks were laid out in a nice long line along the side wall above the pit into which they were all thrust this year. You went in one end, went to your desk and then went out the other end. No problems. This year with an L-shaped arrangement and less room we were all crammed into a small space and couldn't easily get to the desks. Hopefully they will go back to the old system next year.

My understanding is that there is a new race director this year who introduced online entry and the new number collection layout as well as the new start on the road. Not too sure whether these worked. There were no problems previously so perhaps the adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' should have been applied.

• Options

Excellent course, excellent marshalling, decent quality running top for all finishers (sooo much better than getting a naff goody bag - although there were still choccie bar handouts before and after - kept my kids happy anyway), even the weather was spot on.

Didn't really experience the number/chip issue as I made a point of getting there reasonably early and sashayed up to a table with no queue in front of it. Maybe it's just me, but regardless of whether you think it's a good system or not (and I believe there are arguments on both sides of that one), if you know in advance that anything up to 2000 people need to be processed pre-race, don't you give yourself (and the organisers) a break and haul yourself out of bed a little bit earlier than normal (accepting that's not so easy for those dropping kids off with relatives/travelling great distances/getting lost on the way - but you're not telling me everyone in the pre-race rugby scrum was in that situation)?

I have nothing bad to say about this race - but then I would say that because I've done it twice and got a massive PB both times. Nepotism? You betcha.

• Options

Mick 'Stringy' wrote (see)

My second Brass Monkey and although it was way off my PB, still a great race.  Every marshall was either clapping or cheering which is fab, made miles 10 and 11 bearable
    The only negative is my BM shirt is way too small.  They only had Large, so if anyone has a XL and fancies a swap, let me know. 

I ran with a fetchie from mile 4 till around 8, if she reads this, "cheers for the chat, made the 4 miles or so whizz along"

See you all next year image

image Cheers! See you again next year & good luck with the lightening run!!

• Options
    chip collection was a pain in the backside to be honest. considering they had their entries filled in 5 hours in November surely they could get the numbers / chips sent out... the only negative on a great race though, good course, well marshalled, decent support and sub 1.40 for the first time ... 1 39. 26 secs! get in... brighton marathon here i come!
  • Options
    Pam - Cheers.  I believe they are still taking entries for the Lightning if your tempted, no better way to spend 12 hours than running in the countryside!  imageimage
  • Options
    I was there an hour before the start - more than enough for any race I've ever been to before. Everyone I spoke to who had done it before said it was the worst they'd known. I've even had my number and chip faster at the London marathon than that. Anyway, I'm sure they will have learned from it. So, I would do it again.
  • Options

Thanks so much to the organisers and marshalls for this race (especially Viv on her bike!)

Nice flat course (apart from that bridge at mile 12 ... it didn't seem half as bad crossing it on the outward section), nice calm conditions (though it did get a bit windy in the last couple of miles) and a great running top.

Was delighted with my pb of 1:50, taking 5 minutes off my previous pb - though I doubt I'd ever be able to get near that time again on a hillier course - total fluke due to me starting far too fast.

I didn't have any problems getting my number, but I did arrive there really early.  I would have been happy paying an extra quid entry fee to have it posted though.

• Options
    Mick 'Stringy' wrote (see)
    Pam - Cheers.  I believe they are still taking entries for the Lightning if your tempted, no better way to spend 12 hours than running in the countryside!  imageimage
    hehe - maybe another year image Eastnor is lovely though - its a great part of the world.