2011 Boston Marathon

With 189 days till the Boston Marathon and only 19 days till registration starts, it might be time for a thread.

Who's all in?

Comments

• Hi,

Assuming registration goes off without a hitch in just over a week's time, then yep, I'm in. Can't wait.
  • Good man OsloNeill! I have my alarm set for registration day! Should be impossible for at least half the day but then again, London went off without a hitch for me.

Are you going to try to requalify there or just enjoy it?

• I've overcome the hurdles of:

a) qualifying; and

b) (more difficult) getting permission of my wife to enter

so I plan to try to register.

If I'm successful I'll then worry about finding the money for flights and hotels!

• NICE ONE Omar! I hear Southwest has a B-more - Boston flight.
  • Sho' nuff

(Actually, more likely to be Aer Lingus from Manchester via Dublin)

• The good thing with living in Europe is that we don't have to get up early to register. 3 'o' clock in the afternoon for me. Think I'll leave work early that day and travel home to register.

OL: Congrats on qualifying. Luckily my girlfriend wants to come and spectate so getting permission was never an issue for me

E2: Not sure yet what my goal will be. Will have to see how training goes through the winter. I'd certainly like to requalify if I can. Mind you - as I move up an age group in 2012, my qualifying time goes from 3.15 to 3.20. That should certainly be achievable. I'd like to be closer to 3 hours. How about you?
  • ON - I ran a 3:10 to qualify and would love to re-qualify, but not at Boston. My "friend" qualified too and we've been talking for years about running Boston together so I think it'll be around a 3:25-3:30. I just want to enjoy the day and the days leading up to it!
  • Hi

What's the deal with proof of qualifying time? I ran 3:01 in Berlin a couple of weeks ago but "official" time certificates aren't mailed out til December.

I have my "unofficial" certificate from the Berlin Marathon website and of course the results are online. Checked the website but couldn't find anything confirming the process.

Cheers

Cav

• Hi Cav,
    I don't think you'll have any problems. On the Boston website there is a page with the following:
    "The qualifying races most frequently used are listed below".
    Right near the top of that list is "Berlin, 26th September 2010".

I guess they use the online results. My qualifying time was achieved in Paris so my "official" certificate is in French.
  • Cheers Neil, was aiming for the Boston qualifying time when running in Berlin so don't want to miss out because of missing paperwork!
  • Nice to see some familiar names/faces kicking about here?!

Am def on for this one next Spring. Qualifying time bagged back in March so have had the registration entry date marked in diary for ages!

As far as I know, as long as you can look-up your time electronically on marathon site and it is from a recognised race, you'll be fine to 'prove' your qualifying time.

Looking forward to it...

tbn

• tbn! Nice one!

From what I gather from friends, the registration is not that daunting. The main thing is that somewhere, there is an electronic record that you ran a BQ at a BAA sanctioned event. They don't kick you out if you make a typo or something like that.

Does anyone have any build-up race plans yet?

• Am doing Brathay 10-in-10 in May so will spend most of the winter getting my legs used to running endless miles day after day?!

Want to push my marathon PB down next year too, so will probably join a club and focus more on speed work than I do currently.

Anyone doing a marathon before Boston? Quite fancy Rome at the end of March...

• tbn - 10 in 10 sounds like madness, brilliant madness! I am toying with the idea of Comrades in May but cost is a major factor here. I'd also LOVE LOVE LOVE to run the Transalpine but that would require finding a) someone mad enough to run it with me and b) time to train and run and c) the entry fee

I will be running Dublin next week and the Gower coastal marathon in November. I don't have anything scheduled for 2011 and the Boston build-up but something at the end of February and in Europe would be nice.

• Rapidly running out of time to make a decision on this!

• Just do it Omar!image You know it is the right decision...
  • I'm in! Had a heart-stopping moment as an error screen came up after I pressed the final "acknowledge" button. Just crossed my fingers and pressed refresh. That seemed to do the trick as the submission id page then came up.
    About 30 seconds later the email arrived: "Your entry for the 115th Boston Marathon has been received, and your spot in the race has now been reserved.."
    Better hope my ITBS clears up so I can get some proper training done now image

Edited for spelling
  • Has anyone had a problem with registration? Filled out all information pressed 'SUBMIT' and all the information disappears
  • It took me about an hour but I am IN! This registration made London feel like a cakewalk...
  • Just back from Amsterdam today. Was on top of the world yesterday having run a good PB - 2:55:10 - and having had a great weekend there.

Today meanwhile has been horrendous; massively hungover, terrible day back at work and now to top it off have just gone onto the Boston website and it says registration has already closed?! It only opened today?!

WTF???

• Oh no!!!! It closed in 8 hours tbn! Please say you are joking...you got in, right?
  • I looked at this all day yesterday and could have registered but the overall costs could not really be justified. Now it has closed I don't need to agonise any longer. Already registered and booked up for Paris. 
  • Sadly no joke.

Just checked again and it is closed; they even have the runners list finalised on the site and it clearly states there is no waiting list. Can't see any other way of getting in?

Am GUTTED.

• I was about to start a Chicago thread but I figured this may be a good place to ask.

Has anyone here done a USA or overseas Marathon who can advise about how many days prior to the Marathon you should aim to travel?

I'm planning to run Chicago 2011 and aimed to travel out on the Friday, do the expo Saturday, run Sunday, do touristy stuff Monday and then fly to stay with friends Tuesday.

However the Marathon Talk podcast seems to suggest you need a few more days prior to running to adjust to the time difference (6 hours) and they recommended flying out on the Tuesday. Granted, one of the Marathon Talk crew is Liz Yelling, so perhaps she needed more time to prepare as it's a much bigger race for her than it would be for me.

But I guess my question is, how long should I give myself to adjust to the time difference? Any experience of this would be much appreciated.

• Hi

I've done New York, Chicago (DNF in 2007 after race stopped) and Big Sur.

I'm definitely at the back of the pack and have always travelled out on the Thursday so I can do the expo on Friday and some sitting down sightseeing on Saturday. I did talk to somebody at New York who travelled on the Saturday and just had time to get his number and ignored the time difference.

TBH I wouldn't want any more time than what you are proposing  in Chicago

• With your last line do you mean there isn't much to see and do in Chicago? I welcome your advice. Sounds like I may be able to get away with going out on the Thursday and doing the expo as you say on Friday, resting up on Saturday.

(Sorry for taking this thread off Boston.. realised I've sort of gatecrashed it)

• NR - I did New York last year and flew out mid-morning Saturday which with time difference meant I got into city and then to expo in good time in afternoon. Early night on Saturday (easily done with time diff!) meant I was up early (which you need to be given the trek to the start in NYC). Ran without any major jetlag issues as you are fooling the body into effectively doing an early Sunday afternoon run?!

I prefer to travel closer to the race day and take a few days to do my sightseeing etc after the race. Reckon that flying to east coast of US is just about within range for this approach as jetlag/travel stiffness elements are both managable.

Feel free to start a Chicago thread; I'll be joining it!

• tbn - Mate, I am gutted for you! That's horrible! I hope you find another great option (Paris?) for April!
  • Hi

Just discovered this forum thread, I was posting on another Boston one.

Can't believe the registration closed after 8hrs!!!! Last year it was open for two months.

I wonder if all the volcanic ash deferrals had anything to do with it, I reckon there must have been 3000 plus across Europe  who, like me, could not get to Boston as all the flights were cancelled.

I do hope most people were ok although like theboynice no doubt some would not have expected it to close so early.

As you say EI22RE the participant list is already displayed so feeling very fortunate to be listed!

Cheers