Options

Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

Comments

• Options
    E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭

and i see Phil and Mick of MicknPhil fame are still alive .

i do have a question for Mr Mick.... am i still allowed to come into 'your' homeland without a passport?

and dont forget the Ellenborough 10k this year of i will have to.....Blank....Blank......?

• Options

Hope the long runs went well for you all this weekend, last one of 19.5 miles today for me, a bit too warm for my liking and made me think I'll take it easier if the temp's the same in May.

ECN, Greenway isn't tarmac but pretty flat, long and straight once you see the racecourse you know you're nearly there. That said I've never done this race before only a few practice runs on it (in the cold and rain!).     

• Options
    E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭
    cheers for the info and warning both.... must remember the shades !!
  • Options
    Did the 3rd and final 20 miler on Saturday (2 x 20 and 1 x 22).Finally managed to do this at 30 seconds a mile slower than marathon pace which will be 9 min miles, this seems painfully slow at the start, definitely benefitted though as was able to do mile 22 in around 8.40.This was the longest and furthest I have ever run in one go so has given me a little confidence boost.

Am still aware that going under 4 hours will be an achievement but will still go for it and see what happens! Am confident of getting to 22 miles in around 3.20 which will mean I could slow down a bit from there

anyone getting excited yet?

• Options

Anxious now more than anything. Watching London, just makes me want the 3 weeks to hurry up.

Hoping to sneak under 4 hours aswell.

• Options
    are the hills anything to worry about ? i know there are 2 (which you do twice ?) apart from these, the course is pretty much flat right ?
  • Options

Also for those who have done the Race before, could someone advise how good the course is timewise, i.e PB potential?

Thanks.

• Options

Due to injury, (calf tear) marathon entry up for grabs......

Ran this last year - gutted will miss out this.

Note from organisers below - I expect to receive pack in post over next day or so.

I paid for an unaffiliated entry - so just looking to recoup the cost of £25.00.

First come first serve....just post below if you are interested

From 17 April if you wish to take a transfer from someone else who has a valid entry then you MUST GET THE RACE PACK FROM THEM. This will include the race number, chip and runners notes. It will only be posted to the entrant on our database as at 17 April. Do not agree a transfer unless you are certain that you can get these documents otherwise you will not be able to enter. If you are a female and agree a transfer from a male entrant then just add FE to MALE on the race number and if a male taking a transfer from a female just blank out the FE. Once we are advised of the transfer our records will be altered as appropriate.

• Options
    Buck79 - Sorry it looks like I might be back in the game so my place won't be available. It looks like there is one available from Matt Ross above.

I've just done a very slow 5.7miles in the heat this afternoon without too much bother. This is the first proper run I've done for two and a half weeks. So a dream build up has turned into a bit of a nightmare and I've missed the all important long runs. The most I have done is one 18 miler. I'm planning on cutting the taper short as there's nothing to taper from and reassess my finish time. I still need to train carefully and focus on my form.

• Options
    Ultra AJH wrote (see)

Kanga only just saw that post!

It is my last long run before the 10 in 10 that starts the following Friday. I am going to jog it image

See you there!

The following Friday FFS, whatever happened to tapir madness ?
  • Options

mat  - no worries, i managed to secure a transfer yesterday from a friend who due to injury has had to pull out - thanks anyways.

just reading the tranfer info above - how do they know the difference between half and full marathoners on the day ? i am assuming different colour numbers ?

if this is correct, im a bit worried as my transfer was from a half mara place and i have applied on the transfer form for a full mara place - but if the numbers have already been issued, ill be running with a half mara number...??

oh well, i guess they wont / cant stop me running the full mara course ?

• Options

buck79 - the full marathon number colour is different - it's unlikely that they would rugby tackle you as you started the second loop, but I guess it depends on how quick you are!

To give you peace of mind - check with the organisers via their website - they responded very quickly to my query.

Good luck

• Options
    Has anyone received their race pack yet?
  • Options
    I'll have 5 days to go bonkers Kanga!
  • Options

Did my final 20 of two on Saturday.  No 22s for me.  14 planned this weekend and 12 the next.  Really looking forward to it, especially after watching London.  Hoping for 4:15 but anything under 4:30 will be great.  Done a few hot Ms, Hope this won't be another one.

• Options

training has been a bit weird for me - i trained for brighton, but only lasted till mile 18-19 and fainted in the heat - think it was a bit of sun stroke as it was VERY hot and sunny that day... so doing one last LSR this friday (20miles) then 2 weeks of taper ready for the 8th May... only 2 and a half weeks to go !

I just hope & pray the gods are smiling down on me this time and its not so hot... if it is, hat and shades are a must ! going to take it steady and aim for sub 3hr 45mins... or at least a finish !

good luck everyone doing either the half or the full mara and i shall hopefully see you at the finish line !

buck.

• Options

I also hope that it's not too hot!!! Loads of bad stories ref the heat from Brighton and London image

I have followed the garmin 3.30 training plan and kept to it well however now because of the heat am worried that I may not be able to do it, I'm not very positive at the mo, maybe it is taper madness??? My last 20 mile run was the worse run ever, I was listening to the marathon talk podcast and they were talking about run/walk for a marathon, I must of walked about 10 times!!! An hour or two after the said run I did come down with a cold that has lasted for 5 days now!!

What should I do 3.30 or aim for 3.45??? As long as I get under 3.50 I will be happy as that is the time I need for London 2012 gfa.

I think its all in my head as I read too much, now i'm worried that I havn't done enough marathon paced miles!!!! Will aim to do 16 miles at the weekend with the last 8 at marathon pace.

Once I decide what pace I'm going to do I should be fine.

It would be good if a few of us aiming for the same pace could start on the line together, any takers???

• Options

Planning on Sub 3:40.

Anyone up for joining me at the start?

• Options

This is going to be my first marathon and had my last 20+ miler on sunday and did 21miles in 2.28 and felt pretty good which was a big confidence boost.

Really hoping to break 3.10 but just going to try and make sure I dont go off too hard and try to hit about 7.10-7.20 miles and see how its all going at halway and then 20 miles.Starting to feel a strange mixture of excitement and panicking thinking is my longest run of 22miles enough should I have gone further, Is my fueling plan going to work and about 1 million other thingsimage

Whats everyones longest run in training been out of interest?

• Options

paul - i may join you at the start. my plan is to take the first 15 - 18 at about 8:15 - 8:30m/m pace then push on depending on how things are going for the remainder. i have trained for an 8m/m pace, but after my nightmare at brighton i have taken a bit of a confidence knock and want to make sure i finish thi smarathon in one piece !

is that the sort of pace you were looking to do ?

• Options

buck79 I kind of like your plan, I have trained for 8mm but not sure I have the confidence to go for it. Would I be able to join you please?

3hr 40min is 8.24mm pace

• Options
    Well if you want to run together I'm cool with that - makes it easier in a group ?
  • Options

Gazelle / Paul - if you do want to run this together then drop me an email (the link to it is on my profile page) to arrange meeting up before the start ?

Gazelle - looks like we are in a similar situation !

• Options

buck79 - Yes fancy that. Could def do 8:20-8:30 first 15-18 and then see.

Ran two marathons last year 3.47 and 3.46 (paris and nottingham)

Was on for sub 3:40 this year in Barcelona but wasnt feeling well and sick a few times. Got to 22 miles in 3:04 but had to pull over for a few mins then couldnt get going and limped in 3:53.

Not sure how my legs are for this pace as Barca was about 6 weeks ago. Done a few 10/12s and 16 and this weekend 14.

I'll message you my number  and email now.

• Options
    lee2006 wrote (see)

This is going to be my first marathon and had my last 20+ miler on sunday and did 21miles in 2.28 and felt pretty good which was a big confidence boost.

Really hoping to break 3.10 but just going to try and make sure I dont go off too hard and try to hit about 7.10-7.20 miles and see how its all going at halway and then 20 miles.Starting to feel a strange mixture of excitement and panicking thinking is my longest run of 22miles enough should I have gone further, Is my fueling plan going to work and about 1 million other thingsimage

Whats everyones longest run in training been out of interest?

Lee, my longest has been 21 in 2:48 but the plan then was tiem ratehr than pace: I did a 20 miler in 2:16 for pace.

If you want 3:10 and you are humna liek the rest of us then you need to allow a bit to slow down, so about 90 seconds seesm to be the wisdom so you want half way in 1:33:30 which is 7:08 pace. You of course know that 3:10 is 7:15 even so you need to be under this, 7:20 is setting out too slow and even 7:10 will only giove you close to 60 seconds buffer.

• Options

Hey Philip thanks for the advise thinking about it if I can set off at 7mm pace this would leave me in a pretty good position at the halfway point. My last couple of long training runs have been 20-21 miles at 7mm pace and felt reasonably good at the end.

The only reason I was thinking of setting off easier was that  everyone seems to say about trying to take it a bit easier in the first half to run a negative split. But as you say the last 6 miles are  where things could really get tough and its worth leaving a bit of leeway for these 6 miles.