Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

Comments

• Race pack arrived today
  • lee2006 wrote (see)

Hey Philip thanks for the advise thinking about it if I can set off at 7mm pace this would leave me in a pretty good position at the halfway point.

Lee, of course everything is personal and there are no hard and fast rules. I just went to the VLM website and looked for GBR men aged 18-39 and sorted them by their time at half way.

There were 36 in this category who went through half between 1:35:00 and 1:35:30. Only one finished in sub 3:10, 1 DNF and the other 34 finished in a spead of times from 3:11:52 to 3:58:22 with an average time of 3:30:01.

I am told that yes, if you run the first half easier then you are in better shape for the second half, and the good and brave can do this, but most of us will go slower in the second half so if you have a target you need to dip inside it in the first half. the trick is to dip inside without killing yourself.

For runners of my profile (45-49 GBR male) then 33 went through half between 1:28 and 1:29 and 4 went sub 3 hours but the average was 3:09.

• Could someone who knows the route help?

Ran this a few years ago and have a recollection of passing a disused railway line where there was a cafe in an old railway carriage. If I'm not confusing this race with another, where on the route is this?

If its the usual hot day I quite like the idea of stopping for a mug of tea and a bun. Ideally it would be on the second lap just before the long slog along the greenway.

Cheers HF

• The disused railway line is called the Greenway so the confusion is that you have two things that are really the same. The cafe is http://www.carriagescafe.co.uk/ and on google maps it is here. Looks to me like the first lap joins the Greenway just afterwards (short of 10 miles) but second lap you go right by just short of 23 miles.
  • just popping in to say hi- this will be marathon no 16 for me, aiming as usiual for around 4hr 15, last year 1 broke my 20yr pb of 4:20 by a wonderfully massive (to me) minute! so of ourse i love the route, i read lots of horror stories re the greenway boredom and the hill, as far as i remember the hill was on lap 1 and on lap 2 we go further so less steep, i found greenway ok on lap 1 and thus looked forward to it on lap 2 - i managed to get into my stride & keep focus , always v difficult i find after 20mile, but managed to keep going .

Re long runs - my longest has been 26.2- as i did the Great Welsh Mara in LLanelli -April 10th, warm to hot, in vest from the start ! managed a 4hr 24- a bit disappointed as all well for a 4:15 til wheels came off lost focus in last 3- last 3 miles 11 min 11 min 13 min image, but really should be pleased as i hadnt the best of training, with a lingering cold during prev mnth,

then this Friday i did a 20.5miles - so i know i can do the distance - its just keeping pace all along - aiming for around 9:30 - 9:40 min / mile

all best happy tapering talk soon Rob

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Just a quick reminder for anybody who's interested.  The London Marathon Ballot is now open, so get in quick if you want to be in with a shout of running in 2012. 

I'm entered and have two hopes as usual - No Hope and Bob Hope.  It's just an annual ritual.

• did 20miles in the blazing sun on friday and it nearly finished me ! fingers crossed it wont be so hot come 8th may. looking forward to a few weeks of wind down ready for the run.

i drove the course (apart from the greenway section obviously) yesterday to see the hills for myself... didnt appear as scary as i thought they would be, but its easy to say when driving and also appreciate that one mans hill is another mans mountain.

see you at the bar after its over.

• E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭

HILLS.....

i thought it was flat down south!!!!

• Have done some hot Spring M's in the past without hot weather training so am glad of recent hot spell.  At least if it's hot on the day it shouldn't hopefully be hotter than it's been recently (I think).
  • Nick

it'll be ok - alls about prep ahh- not that i do anymore image

it'll be our 43 FM

in all 109 for me

• Yo Mick hey I'm looking forward to seeing you & Phil again, are you going to get the ' celebrity start ' again image
    109 marathons hey that's 2 a year since you were a babe isn't it image
    I can wind you up old man cos I think we re the same age. ;-(
    109 marathons !!! and so many of them with Phil - you are a hero mate. Try and remember in the dark days that you re looked up to by so many of us.
    Keep on trucking and see you soon.
  • I'll second that Mick.  You and Phil are an inspiration to a lot of people.
  • If the Weather is cooler than it has been recently next week then we should all have benefitted from some training in the hot conditions.

I managed 16 miles on Sunday in 25 degrees and felt ok at the end.

Three years ago when I did this race it was hot on the day, much hotter than it had been for any of the runs I had done in training so fingers crossed the reverse will happen this year and it will be cooler than it has been for the last few weeks!
  • Hi everyone,

I've got a spare place for the Shakespeare if anyone would like it? There's still time to transfer.

Unfortunately it's just not going to be possible for me to get up to Stratford now - logistical nightmare - so happy to send my race pack over to anyone who'll be able to use it.

Cheers
    Naomi
  • Sorry you can't make it Naomi.  After all the training as well.

I see that there are several other threads for this race with people after places.

• Thanks Nick.

I've managed this morning to get a place in the Halstead Marathon on the same day, which is just an hour from me, although much more hilly, so not going to waste the training, although likely to get a slower time!

I'll track down those other threads.
  • Good luck at Halstead Naomi.  Have done that 3 times and it's a great event.
  • Thanks image And I've managed to find someone for the spare place too which is great - would have hated it to go to waste!
  • Ran 12 miles last night, feeling ready for my first half now I think, is this a good time to sit back and chill?I've only ever ran 10ks before and tend to just fit them into my general running. Good luck Naomi at Halstead, and to everyone doing the full or half here
  • Tom1759 wrote (see)
    Ran 12 miles last night, feeling ready for my first half now I think, is this a good time to sit back and chill?I've only ever ran 10ks before and tend to just fit them into my general running. Good luck Naomi at Halstead, and to everyone doing the full or half here

Tom, indeed now is the time to sit back and chill. If you have doen 12 miles then you can do 13 and you will be in a much better position than many others who will be doing a half and not have run over 10k before. You want to be sure you don't get too chilled so keep running gently in the coming days, no great distance or pace, but ticking over.

It is also a good time to sit down and think what you want out of the half and ensure that you achieve it. You don't want to go out guns blazing and then suddenly find that you have started too fast and pay for it later: equally you don't want to get to the end and regret it if you think you coudl have gone faster. Make up your mind if you have a goal and how you are goign to achieve it and then staick to that plan. You can also have fall back plans so an A plan for if all goes well, a B plan for what should happen and a C plan if things start to go wrong.

• Tom

well done

Philip is spot on

good luck

• from what I saw in 2008 there is less respect for the half marathon distance than there is for the full.

I ran past at least 5 or 6 people walking in the first mile who must have set off at something like 6-7 minute mile pace.

as Philip says starting off too quickly can mean suffering in the later stages.

if you are aiming to run at say 9 minutes a mile and you start off with a couple of 9.20 miles you are more likely to be able to make this extra time up towards the end than if you start off too quickly and have nothing left after 10 miles

• Hi Rich

common practise though ahh

people get over exciteds on the day - whistle goes - GONE

3 miles later - burnt out

finished

hope ure ok BTW

• It's sounding like taper madness is getting into it's stride on here.

My only concern (apart from the background stuff we all have when doing 26.2) is the heat.  Still the first one I ever did was Paris and it was 32 degress on the track at one point, so as bad as it may be at Shakey...

Training's gone well - the 5 long runs added up to past the magic 100  - 104 (included 2x22milers) and short pacey racing at parkrun has helped with the speed side.  Lots of long hilly runs for the long runs has built the leg strength, and 15 milers at about a miniute slower than goal marathon pace has worked well.

All in all pleased and looking forward to a few less miles before the big day - and some good easy first half running in the marathon.  All going well I can put to bed a frustrating 3 attempts (and misses) and my marathon pb in 2010.  The only real shame is that Boston have moved the goalposts for the good for age times for 2012!

Hope everyone else is coming on nicely and to those who picked up injuries, it's a blip in the grander scheme of things.

J

• Jaseyshef, what are you targeting for time? 19:09 is pretty handy for a parkrun and with the miles there as well you must be feeling good.

I don;t think it will be too hot at all, the forecast is still unsure as it is 10 days out but I am reading:

Towards the end of the first week, a more unsettled theme looks set to become established across the country for a time, as this showery, possibly thundery rain extends northeastwards. 

• Does anyone know about the starting arrangements? In the letter it says that faster athletes should turn up early to get a good starting space: is that true or is it the normal sort of mele whereby you can pretty much get to the front if you weant to?
  • without allocated starting pens you can guarantee it will be a free for all and utter chaos for the first few miles... it still baffles me why people cannot be sensible and realistic about their time / pace and stand in the correct place when starting !
  • Hello, how s everyone getting on?

I got back from 3 and a half weeks away on monday.

The training time was limited to say the least, unless drinking beer in the sun counts??

I only ran 4 times in the first two weeks with a long run of 19M in close to 30 deg heat (not fun).

Then got back on track for the 3rd week running 5 times, but long run of only 12M.

So im having a bit of 'Tapir madness' about whether I should stick to my sub 3;30 plan or adjust up to 3;40.

Phil - I did the half last year and I reckon you could get to the front, or near enough, pretty easily if you wanted to. I wasnt there early, and people where making their way toward the front without too many problems.