Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

Comments

• Afternoon Phil,

"...thundery rain."  Now that would be a result - it's akin to my version of perfect conditions.

However the associated wind - now that's another thing all together.

Thanks for your comment on the parkrun - I'd never ran a 5k before the start of this marathon plan, and wanted to use them to try and develop a little bit more leg speed/speed endurance - and I've thoroughly enjoyed them.  I think on a flat course (Sheffield Hallam has a long slow hill on one side of it) with proper recovery I could nip under 19 with no problem.

I've done it five times now and am a bit of a convert to the distance - I also love the parkrun format - so easy to fit into a busy weekend.

As for my target time, it has been sub 3:15 (3:14:59 would suit me fine) for a few year now, all based on really wanting to run Boston.  As you've probably see they have shifted the goalposts somewhat - now saying that people faster than GFA get to apply in waves - with the poor old GFA types applying at the end.

No point moaning about it from here - but it was a bit of a shock when I read it after pushing hard for a few years now.

What's your target for Shakespeare?

J

• Jaseyshef wrote (see)

I think on a flat course (Sheffield Hallam has a long slow hill on one side of it) with proper recovery I could nip under 19 with no problem.

I've done it five times now and am a bit of a convert to the distance - I also love the parkrun format - so easy to fit into a busy weekend.

As for my target time, it has been sub 3:15 (3:14:59 would suit me fine) for a few year now, all based on really wanting to run Boston.  As you've probably see they have shifted the goalposts somewhat - now saying that people faster than GFA get to apply in waves - with the poor old GFA types applying at the end.

No point moaning about it from here - but it was a bit of a shock when I read it after pushing hard for a few years now.

What's your target for Shakespeare?

J

Jaseyshef,

Parkruns are all very varied. Some are as fast as flat road courses, then there are ones with tracks instead of tarmac, then tracks and hills etc. Somewhere on the parkrun webiste I saw a conversion chart saying how hard some were but I don't think Sheffield is included.

I have a few friends do Boston so was aware of the new format. I have even heard that the demand may be so great that if you have a narrow qualification time then it may be full before your window, so GFA is not a guaranteed entry.

My target at the moment is definitely sub 3:15 (GFA VLM) and I am setting out at 3:00 pace to see how it goes: all the pointers are there for a sub 3 to happen: I did 1:22 for a half, 2:16 for 20 in training and have been sharpening up in parkruns: 18:20 was last week's latest PB.

• tried to do 4 miles at marathon pace this afternoon, was tough at first to run slowly enough. Have to have the mindset that the first mile is as important as the last!

Phil - you should be able to shuffle your way to the front - here's a target for you - with the time you are gunning for you could make the top 10 overall (or higher in your age group!)

Personally I want to be as close to the front as possible (whilst respecting the faster runners of course). If I am going to duck under 4hrs it is going to be by 0-5 mins only and the difference between the gun and chip times can vary by this much - would be agony to not know or worse still think I had done it and end up being a few seconds out

• Richard Hill 17 wrote (see)

Phil - you should be able to shuffle your way to the front - here's a target for you - with the time you are gunning for you could make the top 10 overall (or higher in your age group!)

Personally I want to be as close to the front as possible (whilst respecting the faster runners of course). If I am going to duck under 4hrs it is going to be by 0-5 mins only and the difference between the gun and chip times can vary by this much - would be agony to not know or worse still think I had done it and end up being a few seconds out

Agree with you on chip vs gun time, most rankings use gun time so it is important to be up front if rankings are a concern.

Regarding overall place, should indeed be top handful if it goes to plan, but I fear no prize! The first home last year, Paul Davies, was V45 and he has already run 3 sub-3 marathons this year and the second v45 home, John Shepherd, did 2:54 in London, and they are both entered! I was hoping that this woudl be a marathon that people do as a stepping stone to GFA qualification but there seem to be a number of fast regulars.

• Phil thanks for the link,

It seems to me you are well on for sub 315 and 3:00 seems an achievable goal. I've made real changes to my training this time to try and achieve the 3:15 time, and as you say I've resigned myself to the possibility that even then I may not be able to get into Boston, c'est la vie...

Good luck by the way, I hope you have a flyer!
  • slow running Rob here - i enjoyed a very warm 8.5mile hillrun tonight, 3 or so runs until Shakespear & looking forward to it , must do more itb stretching - left knee a bit sore.
  • current forecast

light rain max 19 deg

• Philip, cheers for the advice. My plan is to run a couple of miles a couple more times to keep my legs used to moving. As regards the race, if people slow me down at the start might not necessarily be a bad thing, I'll run the first 8 miles and assess from there.

Peter Hibberd wrote (see)

current forecast

light rain max 19 deg

This I would like
  • One week today I should be close to finishing: at least I will know for sure how the first 20 have panned out and what I have left for the last 6.2

Taper is coming on nicely, have raced 3 times (23rd April, 26th April and 29th April) all over about 5k and all were PBs so the speed is there. Haven't run long since a 21 on April 14th and then 14 on April 22nd so legs feel rested, no pain in the morning when walking downstairs in the morning. Fingers crossed all will come together next week.

Plan for this week is 5 easy tomorrow, then 7 miles with 3 @ MP on Tuesday, 5 easy on Wednesday, then rest Thursday and Friday, a few stretches and a little jog on Saturday, race Sunday.

• Good to hear the tapers going well for you Philip.

Was thinking as I rolled out of bed this morning, ah I'll be done this time next week. Taper is being less kind to me, I've tweaked something about half way down my calf when I got out of my car from a long drive and jogged to the ticket machine image  so I've limited myself to less than 5k on the days I have been out. Had to give myself a stern talking to when I was considering entering a local 10k for today to cure the boredom.

• Hi Guys

Hope its nothing too bad Tom and your back to full fitness for Sunday. Glad its all coming along nicely Phillip and good to see your plans for this week im going for something similar but doing Monday,Wednesday, Thursday so good to know im kind of on the right lines.

I did a nice 8 miles today fairly gentle run with 3 miles in the middle at MP and now just cant wait to set off next sunday and see if I can sneak unde the GFA time for the VLM 2012.

• Did 10 yesterday and just two 4s planned this week.  That'll be it then for me.
  • wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭
    did one of my regular 8.5milers as my last LSR/ tempo at sub mara pace for me 9min 22-  with a blast for last 1.5miles at sub 9min miling pace - felt good, apart from slight dull left knee ache. must do more itb stretches, and more. and stock up on paracetamol & ibuprofen. 2 more runs then off to Stratford Saturday
  • current forecast

partly cloudy 21 deg

10M at marathon pace yesterday, felt quite good, so I think im going to stay with 3:30 as goal time. At least start out with it.

Not long now...

• Hi Everyone!

I have an entry to the Rotary Shakespeare Marathon ( Stratford Marathon) for this Sunday May 8th, 2011 that I cant use cause I have a stress fracture. The race director has extended the transfer date till the 4th! I will be going anyway and can bring you the packet in person- please let me know asap if you want my place!!

my number : 07580337252

cheers and good luck for those running it!

Rachel
  • Hi Everyone!

I have an entry to the Rotary Shakespeare
    Marathon ( Stratford Marathon) for this Sunday May 8th, 2011 that I cant use cause I have a stress
    fracture. The race director has extended the transfer date till the 4th!
    I will be going anyway and can bring you the packet in person- please
    let me know asap if you want my place!!

my number : 07580337252

cheers and good luck for those running it!

Rachel
  • Peter Hibberd wrote (see)

current forecast

partly cloudy 21 deg

I have looked at several forecasts and 21 is the upper end, others say 18 or 19. The thing that is concerning me is the wind, did 5 very easy this morning and the wind is really bad. The Greenway does not look too sheltered.
  • devoted 2distance wrote (see)

Hi all! image

I haven't been on here in a while.... 'cause I've been banned for life! (extreme or what?) - I'm going to write a begging letter to the editor and see if he lets me back in though...

I noticed a space had crept in, devoted2distance had become devoted 2distance! Can you tell us what got you banned, we all love a bit of scandal!

• D2D - who did you upset?

Phil - The wind has been really annoying, hope its gone by sun. The forecast changes daily, but the wind does seem to be easing later this week.

• sorry to hear about the fracture Rachael.  Have you tried starting a new thread with your offer of a place?
  • hey D2D - there is a group of us (4No so far) aiming for a sub 3hr 40min finish - we are meeting up before the start and the aim is to run it together - if you wanna join us drop me a message and let me know !

cheers

• My calfs not so bad, just the sensation of a knot in there that won't go away. Last run tomorrow hopefully the rest after that will see it right.

Good luck to all going for sub 3.40. Everyone seems very calm and collected on here, me aside, its good to hear/read
  • Apologies if this appeared earlier in the discussion  but I happen to notice that it says not to wear earphones, although it doesnt say they are prohibited or you'll be dragged off and sent to an island prison if you do?

if you have done this before can you advise - is it a no no or is it at your own discretion (the website also states that you breathe at your own risk - or there abouts - so its should really be personal choice)?

Good luck to all and lets hope for a cool cloudy day - sorry spectators.

• GTC, you could be opening one of the classic debates here!

On this particular course because some of the route is on open road with quite heavy traffic/lorries etc as well as being virtually single file in some parts headphones are not allowed, in 2008 they advised people at the start not to use them (however this was done more in a we have to tell you not to use them to cover ourselves and use them at your own risk type of way).

I don’t see the problem with them as long as the user is aware of people trying to pass/traffic etc.

If your doing the full marathon then they could provide a useful distraction on the Greenway part of the second lap (this is the only time I would consider using them).

• E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭

but the extra weight could slow you down... image

if that helps with making a decision!

• Good luck to all the sub 3:40's... i'll be happy with a sub 5!

And i'll be brining my headphones too, won't use them all the way round, will just have 5 or 10 minutes from time to time if i'm bored... 

• Also, weather for Saturday in Stratford is predicted to be heavy rain... Does any of the course get soggy...?
  • Never used headphones, even on the 20 milers.  Lucky enough to live in the countryside so prefer sounds of nature.  Also can hear any traffic coming on country lanes.  Never been to a gym either.