Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

Comments

• Something usually happens every other race, like falling off stiles, falling over tree roots or slipping and sliding in mud. Just one more to add to the list. It'll make me more determined for the next one. Got a really good reception down the finishing straight and happy that the full 26.2 was completed. So not all bad. Maybe do it again next year.

Congrats on your PB- 15 mins is massive. You're edging closer to your time starting with a 3.
  • Well done to everyone today!!!!

I ran the full, was aiming for sub 4 (hoping 3:50) my unofficial time was 4:03, started quite far back though so hopefully take a minute off that at least...sounds silly but i'm a little devastated...

I'm laying full blame on the heat and also the ridiculous fact that at each water station on the second lap i had to stop to make sure i actually drank the water instead of it ending up on my poor red face (suprising how much time this loses you)...plastic cups.....have a word!!! image Also i would like to thank the stitch at mile 6 that kindly stayed with me for 2 miles and the acheilles heel that decided it would like to basically not work between miles 16 and 20...

All this aside although the course was very lonely at points and having to cram alongside traffic didn't suit me the supporters and local people cheering from houses was AMAZING, even the little girl who thought it would be amusing to attack me in the facial features with her rather powerful super soaker, to be honest it was a little amusing even to me with my nose half way round my face...

All in all for my first marathon it was a good experience but i dont know if i'll return, plastic cups, iblame you.......for everything.......in my life......ever.

xx

• ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭

the results of both the half and full marathons are up on the FR systems website

http://www.chipresults.co.uk/Default.aspx

well done to everyone on another tough and warm shakespeare marathon

• Congrats to everyone on their efforts. Some great times and everyone who finishes is a champion (as one of the signs along the course said).

I managed a 3:15:01 (couple of seconds less on the garmin) which was a decent and even run. Although the legs were a little heavy after running 3:16 at Belfast 6 days ago.

I thought the support and organisation was generally pretty good and it was an enjoyable day out, especially given the potentially bad weather held off for most of the race.

I only had two complaints from the day.

To a guy running the marathon in a medium grey shirt and black shorts, you are an absolute muppet. 10 metres over the starting line and you decide in your haste to get through to the front that you'll push me in the back into two other runners, causing the three of us to go crashing into each other. When I went passed you at the 24km mark, the amount of time you'd gained by your efforts didn't seem to be helping you.

Additionally, for such a small starting area, there needs to be some separation of when the marathon starts and when the half marathon starts. People are incapable of seeding themselves, and the number of people who pushed up to the front before the start, only to be jogging slowly after 1km was frustrating.
  • I think that was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.  I'd done 20 milers for my training and thought it probably wouldn't get too much harder than those.  Very naive of me but didn't know any better having never done the full distance before.  I now realise that i was woefully unprepared for those last 6 miles. 

At 20 miles I was on for 3.20 and then at mile 21 the wheels just came off completely,  I managed 3.33 but had to stagger, lurch and wobble my way over the last 5 miles.  I now realise that the marathon demands respect and is very unforgiving if you don't give it.  I'll definately be training much harder for my next one now I know what I'm coming up against.

• Totally with you on the plastic cups! Water going everywhere other than my mouth. I found I was gulping large amounts of air as I tried to run and drink. Surely they could stretch to bottles at a few more stations?

Otherwise...all great. Got a 14 minute PB at 3h39m. Really good organisation and crowd support. Just deal with the dodgy cups for next year please!!!!

• It was my first marathon today at Shakespeare.  Really pleased with 3.52, although at the moment my stomach and legs are not impressed and nore am I with them.  At 12 miles developed a few calf twinges (what sort of distance is that?) followed by a toilet stop at mile 18.   All in all really please especially as my ankle has been protesting with a dull ache for the last 4 weeks, so cut back on tapper a bit more than planned, which might explain the 12 mile twinge!

Well done everyone, and thanks Pipes you were such stars.

• Pipes wrote (see)
    Just popping on to congratulate everyone. I was cheering everyone on along Greenway at 24.5 miles (probably making a bit of a racket with my music and bells - sorry - I get easily carried away!) and saw the dog in question, probably moments before he ran in front of you CJ. I couldn't believe that the dog owners were just letting it run around, as it wasn't just you who was affected. Big well done to Katy, if you're reading this. Hope the diet coke helped - an acquired taste in the latter stages of a marathon! I'll eat the chocolate myself.

Pipes, thanks, it was a good distraction. Dog was a nuisance, I almost threw my water at him, he must have been there for ages messign round. Also annoying were the slow half finishers with supporters (walking and cycling) blockign the park path from side to side.

Really these were niggles, lots of knowledgeable supporters roudn the course and for me the weather was not an issue: I guess it got hotter later but for me it was cool and the wind which was a hindrance on some sections blew me home along the Greenway so I forgive it.

• A super big thank you to all the supporters and other runners. Without these people, I wouldn't have made it,

One family I saw at least eight times in at least six different places!

I am now officially a marathon runner!

You have no idea how good it is to write that!

• Just got home and really pleased I managed 3:06:21 in my first every marathon. I was so pleased with the weather after all the forecasts during the week. So a GFA time which im over the moon with and think I paced it pretty well and it didnt feel too bad last 4 were a bit tough but got there in the end.

Oh and agree the cups are a bit of a pain

• The particularly unfortunate thing about those cups was the friable plastic they were made from.  With paper cups and most plastic ones, one can squeeze the top to form a spout.  The ones today just cracked spilling all the water. 
  • Flipping heck there are a lot of fast people on here! I did a good solid run and cam ein at 4.19 which was around where i had pegged it. Got a lot of work to do to get that sub four but overall it was a good day, good course, the greenway wasn't an issue and the marshalls were lovely.

Good day all round - apart from when i tried to drive home to Leeds and was seied by massive cramps!

• wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭
    good run GTC - thats what i acheived last year, but this yr finished in 4:35, serioulsy lost it after the hill mile 18 and had lots walk breaks , needing sever self talk afterwards image
  •   Second year of running this one (Shakespeare was my first Marathon last year). Really wanted to improve on last years which was 3.40. This year I managed 3.19 which I am really chuffed about. Really wanted to break 3.15 however to get Good for Age for Virgin London Marathon. Classic mistake of doing fiirst half too fast and really... suffered in second half. I got really bad stitch at 20 miles which I didnt get rid of 2 miles. Although I ran (shuffled !) through it, the last few miles were dreadful !! Made it over the line and sprawled out on grass exhausted - that is when the cramps set in. The kids thought their dads crazy dancing at this point was very funny however ! Great organisation (apart from the cups !), great atmosphere and my 3 kids had a great day giving out jelly babies. Apparently one couple appeared at the split point with ice creams, took some of the jelly babies and stuck them in their ice creams and continued their marathon. Why couldnt I be that chilled out? My daughter Pippa would love to hear from anyone who took one of her jelly babies !
  • Really enjoyed the race

Had a good run and just dipped 3.30 so very happy.

Had a fantastic weekend as its the first time i have visited Stratford and really enjoyed it ( a beautiful place to visit). Some great times so well done to all who ran. My only minor bugs bears would be cold showers at the end, once they worked out how to turn them on, and the fact that my medal says half and full marathon on it, i do not think it would have been to much trouble (cost) to have separate medals for both races.

Again well done to all who ran..image

• Pretty good day all around, even knocked an hour of my PB to finish in 3:53. Good organisation and marshalling, plastic cups and early crowds aside, I think a seperate half/full start would help ease the congestion. Great support all around the course, and apart from getting a bit warm and muggy towards the end it was pretty good weather for it as well. Bargain at the price, would rather drive up to Stratford for a mara at that price than some over the over priced and very amateur London 10k's.

• my first marathon ran 4.23 not to shabby massively undercooked the training hadnt run over 16 in training so when I got to the business end of the race up the infamous greenway I was hanging out! but all in all great day! I did think it was slightly ironic that they were giving out bottles right at the beginning i think 4 miles in and then all the other stations were plastic cups. The only downer for me is that my knee is hanging feels like maybe MCL hopefully not, but ive done it before and feels similar but nout maje. if all good thinking maybe newcastle or liverpool towards end of season.

• wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭
    Anthony well done , but ESPecially well done to your kids handing out jelly babies . On lap 2 I saw a couple suddenly appear with ice creams - they were training for the 10 marathons in 10 days at Brathay Lake District -one was Amanda - they'll have blogs on the 10 in 10 site.
    Great day - still analysing how I pb d last year and 16 min slower this year, I know it's cos I lost pace & walked but trying to work out why. But ok I won't beat myself up , we are marathon runners - many people out there are not!
  • Flintstone, the ribbons were different colours, and your ribbon says Marathon, blue ones say half marathon
  • Well done everyone!

I'm feeling extremely happy, my boyfriend and I ran together, aiming for sub 3.45 and we did 3.44:10 image (and we didn't fall out!)

The second lap was definitely harder than the first!  What a great weekend though.

• wrexhamrob wrote (see)
    Anthony well done , but ESPecially well done to your kids handing out jelly babies . On lap 2 I saw a couple suddenly appear with ice creams - they were training for the 10 marathons in 10 days at Brathay Lake District -one was Amanda - they'll have blogs on the 10 in 10 site. Great day - still analysing how I pb d last year and 16 min slower this year, I know it's cos I lost pace & walked but trying to work out why. But ok I won't beat myself up , we are marathon runners - many people out there are not!

Yes! That was me and Mark who will be starting 10 in 10 on Friday.......we knew we mustn't push it yesterday so we thought the best way to do that was ice cream stops!

It workedimage

I always think a finish is a win.

• Yes, team dimwit did good! image
    There was a lot of winners yesterday.
    Love this race!!! image
  • hey really enjoyed this run - finished 3hr 44mins 11secs - 30mins off my pb. happy days.

Sarah Sazz - were you and your bloke in black and white vests ? i think i finish with you ?

big thanks to Paul, Peter, Linzi and Katy - made a tough run feel a lot easier running with you guys. i felt ok (ish) till about 23 miles then things began to wobble a little - the only grumble would be some sports drinks on the 2nd lap at least - but apart from that, really enjoyed it.

and the legs dont feel too bad today either... just wish i wasnt at work...

• Yes. we were wearing white! Well done on your half an hour PB!  
  • runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    Have to agree with the medal, I ran the half as wasn't too keen on running 2 laps of the same course.  If they did different medals I would do the full next year but with just a different ribbon colour probably not.
  • runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    Also mighty impressed with the guy announced on the tannoy who was taking part in something like his 370th marathon. 
  • Some great pb's here guys really good to hear. Runlozrun, the medal is right down the list of what's important at the end of a marathon, if I were you I would just go for it next year!
    Also it isn't 2 laps of the same course there is at least 2-3 miles more Greenway on the 2nd lap!
    Any thoughts on the Greenway 2nd time round?
  • i thought the greenway on the 2nd lap was good, when your running on tired legs its nice to know you dont have to worry about turning left or right or any hills, its just a case of keep moving forwards...

if i wasnt doing London next year, i'd be back to do this one again.