Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Hi Philip, rather than counting calories per se, I've started keeping a food diary.  It's usually enough to keep me on the straight and narrow.  It's easy to forget the "indiscretions" if I don't write it down.

Thanks for the link.  I've bookmarked the article for future reference if the diary isn't working out.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Matt23 wrote (see)
    Due to setting up a business funds are a bit low at the moment. Do you know if this race fills up. I deffinately want to do it but with a never ending list of equipment I need for the business I have to get my priorities right.

It filled up early last year for sure.  Forum threads then sprung-up with everyone that left it too late trying to get places.  They certainly have less than 200 places available now, as there is a note to say so on the web site.

• Weight is a big topic and before I say this, please note that none of this is intended to be taken too literally and definitely not personally.

Good marathon runners are underweight, very much so, even moderately good ones are underweight. The first thing to work out is how much an average person should be. George Sheehan gives a formula:

men 110 lbs + 5.5 lbs per inch over 5 foot tall

women 100 lbs + 5.0 lbs per inch over 5 foot tall

I am 5'10" so am allowed 165 lbs (11st 11) and D2D is 5'6 so is allowed 130 lbs (9st 4).

This is average, now for marathon you need to knock off about 15% so for me that is 140 lbs (10 st)  and D2D 111 lbs (7 st 13).

I am running at about 153 lbs at the moment and hope to be about 147 by the marathon. When I was younger I was about 144 and came down to 140 to race.

So D2D you are on the right side of the balance: sure if you want to go faster than lighter should help but it is a question of how devoted and serious you are. At these weights you are prone to injury and illness.

I can't help much on diet, I am not vegetarian and while I love meat I don't eat large portions every day (excuse the USA trips): mainly pasta and potatoes plus a little meat or fish

• Many thanks Tenjiso. Credit card it is then.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Looks like I've got a better chance of becoming a good Sumo wrestler than a good marathon runner.
  • I am 5'11 and at the start of the year after a real pig out 3 months weighed in at 13st 7lbs which is the heaviest I have ever been

when I did Stratford 3 years ago I was 11st 7lbs on the start line (which was lower than my normal 12st - 12st 7lbs)

will weigh myself once a month so will be on the scales tomorrow - am expecting to be around 12st 9lbs so moving in the right direction and feeling much, much better for being lighter - but not obsessed with the scales - hence only weighing myself once a month.

I always have a high protein recovery drink after every session whether running, gym or squash and eat chicken most days, I think protein is very important for tired muscles so trying to eat quite a bit.

• Would definitely say to anyone not to wait before entering as it has filled up for the last few years so best to avoid disappointment
  • Just visited this Forum for the first time in over a year.  

It's an eye -opener to see how many provincial races seem to book up in advance these days.  That never seemed to happen years ago when I usually ran a half marathon and a 10K each year.  The Droitwich Half appealed as a preparation, but I see that's now full.  

For a while I've been thinking of tackling a marathon this year.  It would be a personal challenge, and a chance to raise funds for a local charity.  My interest in racing revived after entering and completing the Birmingham Half in 2009 after spending just a month training.  I hoped to do better in 2010, but a hamstring gave up a few weeks before the event. 

Somehow I don't  expect my 80,000 mile, early 1960s legs to come near my 1986 marathon PB, or even to match the time of my last marathon - the Abingdon - in 1997.  Neverthelss, it'll be good just to finish.  

Better book now before it fills up, and be meticulous about anti-injury precautions in training! 

• There can be no doubt about the popularity of races at the moment - the Stourbridge stagger entry has closed and thats on Sunday , I'm sure a few years back they had entry on the day. Did the shifnal 10K on sunday and that was quite a crowd as was the Blymhill 10K the week before. The downside is rubbish organised races taking money of folk - cashing in on the popularity of running like the dreadful half marathon I did on new years day.

I'm struggling with an annoying shin pain like splints , I'm sure the new brooks adrenaline trainers I have don't help , why do they always change the design ? I'm not running this week to save it till sunday. I'm doing all sorts of strengthening work on it and rubbing it with various things. Getting me down a bit.
  • Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!

About time too image

I just checked the list and my name is on it - makes it feel more "real".

Good luck getting the injuries sorted guys.

• Runner-up wrote (see)

Somehow I don't  expect my 80,000 mile, early 1960s legs to come near my 1986 marathon PB, or even to match the time of my last marathon - the Abingdon - in 1997.  Neverthelss, it'll be good just to finish.  

How are you workign out 80,000 miles? I am 1965 and have been running since a teenager so am claiming about 30 years at 30 miles a week so 45,000 miles: so I'll give you 35 years and that makes about 44 miles a week: not impossible but very impressive if true and certainly not in keping with your remarks about tiem off and away.

• Evening all, I am returning in an effort to beat the Greenway, having suffered there at 21 miles in the heat - it was my first ever marathon, and said I would always return to take it on again. Its a really lovely race, in a lovely town, and has a sentimental place in my heart. Seriously need to build a running plan, up my mileage from the current 20 a week, and get some longer runs in, but thats all part of the challenge - my head is very clearly saying I can do sub 4h 28mins for a pb......but must work harder!!!

Mike - sorry to hear about the shin splints, I had them in the build up to Abingdon marathon 2 years ago, and suffered horribly on the day as a result of not resting enough, be careful there fella, rest and strengthening is the answer, but just make sure you get plenty of it, mine came back very quickly even though I thought I was over it. New Years Day is one of those days we will never forget, but makes races like Stratford all that more memorable and desirable to run in - feel really excited by this one now, gald they had places left!

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    Runner-up wrote (see)

How are you workign out 80,000 miles? I am 1965 and have been running since a teenager so am claiming about 30 years at 30 miles a week so 45,000 miles: so I'll give you 35 years and that makes about 44 miles a week: not impossible but very impressive if true and certainly not in keping with your remarks about tiem off and away.

Only half that mileage is running since 1982.  Although I took time away from racing, I still ran typically four times a week. 

The other half is walking  to and from work/college/school, between the office and sites and weekend rambles.

At least my entry's now accepted.  Full steam ahead for 8th May - or maybe not if I want to avoid injury.  One advantage of planning this far ahead is that a build up of just one mile per week for the long weekly run should be enough.  Must stop wearing worn-out shoes for the walking, though.

• Well, im not going to claim having anywhere near that amount of mileage in my legs (im unsure if that is advantage or not??).

I only started running in 2008.

Ive entered this as my first marathon. Ive been following the sub 3.30 RW shcedule for the last 5 weeks now, and havent missed a run yet.

Although im out in town for a beer tonight, so not sure what that will do for the weekends running?

Is anyone else following the sub3.30? If so how is it going?

Ive not run 5 days a week until now so its been tiring but think im settling into it now.

Anyhow, im off for a pint, or two!

Have a good weekend all.

• I'm not following any plan, never done a marathon before but running around 4 times a week, a track session, 8 miles on Wednesday, Park Run on Saturday and long run on Sunday.  Figure if I can keep a base of at least 18 every week, come marathon day should have enough miles in my legs.

Also doing core weight and swimming in between.

Going to settle down to watch Wales batter England tonight before and early one tomorrow morning

• Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

I'm not following a plan - never followed a plan - unless you count running every day.. rest Saturday then long run Sunday..

That looks like a plan to me image

I like the planning process, even though it gets chopped-and-changed frequently.  Especially when it comes to entering a marathon, since I want to know I have enough time to crank-up the long run mileage.  I like it best when I change a plan because I'm getting fitter than I had previously anticipated.

I'll never make it as a great runner, but I get enjoyment out of competing against myself.  My plan and my running diary are very self-motivating in this respect.

• Nice 13 ½ miler this morning in the pouring rain (including a Park Run) makes a great change to early morning icy runs.  Planning to do the Radcliffe 10 miler off road tomorrow, just hoping the rain isn’t going to wash it out
  • I'm slightly disappointed with a slower-than-expected time for my eleven mile run today, but overall the weeks training has gone pretty well and I feel on target with my mileage.

• I was planning to run the Droitwich half marathon as part of my training, but it's full.

However, I have signed up for the Gloucester 20 instead.

This will be the furthest I have ever run, but there are a few weeks to recover before the Marathon.

• So done the Sunday run, just over 16 1/4 miles: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/66852932

Took 2 hours 5 minutes so average pace is about 7:40 (13.1 miles in 1:40) so all is looking good.

The week was a bit of a rollercoaster. After last Sunday's run I had a bit of soreness in my left foot and over the week it turned out to be my gout flaring up so by Wednesday I could barely walk without painkillers but the running didn't seem to make it worse so I carried on an the flare up calmed down. Friday was really windy and made the track session really hard so I cut it short, only 3x1200 reps instead of the planned 5 or 6. Total mileage was 54.59 miles so the total is growing steadily.

A few thoughts for the week:

I tried out gels and water today, Normally I run and race up to half marathons without any intake at all but for the marathon I don't think I can get round without  any fluids at all so am tyring out SIS gels. Seem OK, they went down and stayed down which is the important thing.  Any one else with input on this, the last tiem I raced a marathon these were not available.

The Greenway is probably more a mental thing than any thing else. The last 6 miles of a marathon are always goign to be hard so it probably doesn't matter where they are or what surface they are, they will always be hard. Personally I like straight and flat surfaces so am looking forward to it, especially as it seems to also bee downhill. The total ascent for RSM seems to be about 400 feet and that is about half of my long runs at the moment.

Week off from long runs next week: I have a race in London on Wednesday so I do 5 miles jog ou, race 2.5 miles then 5 jog back. At the weekend it is the last cross country on Saturday so rest day is Sunday. Weekly total will be aboiut 40 miles maximum. I then have a normal week then join Gade Valley Harriers for their 17 mile run training run at the end of Feb.

I am doing a 16 week plan and have done 3 weeks so far. May 8th still seems a long way off and even the long runs still seem to be short. 16 miles today is still 10 miles short and the 2 hours is still an hour and a quarter short. The temptation is to run longer sooner but I am trying to be good and stick to the plan.

• Radcliffe 10 mile, multi terrain today.  Bloody hard, mud killer hills, loads of wind and guge puddles.  A lot harder than last week's 20 miler.  Great fun.  Love off road events.  Got round in 1.19, 85th out of something like 290

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    I tried out gels and water today, Normally I run and race up to half marathons without any intake at all but for the marathon I don't think I can get round without  any fluids at all so am tyring out SIS gels. Seem OK, they went down and stayed down which is the important thing.  Any one else with input on this, the last tiem I raced a marathon these were not available.

I have just re-started taking Gels during my long runs.  Not because I need them at the moment, but to get used to taking them.  I normally take them at around six-mile intervals in longer races, though I may try taking them more frequently towards the end of the marathon to see if that helps with the last six miles.  Undecided at the moment.

I use the Locozade carbo gels, simply because that was all that I found at a reasonable cost when I was looking for gels.  The ones I'm currently using have passed their best before date by around eight months and counting image.  They seem perfectly palatable to me.

I will probably also take Nuun tablets for the race too.  They are brilliant, because you can just pop them into plain water and have an electrolyte drink available in around a minute.  They don't contain carbs, so they don't interfere with the intake of carbo gels.

I don't rely on energy drinks provided at any races for a number of reasons:

• Being nearer the back of the pack, there may be none available when I arrive at the drink station
    • They are probably not the same make as I train with
    • Even if the drinks are claimed to be the same make, they may not be mixed the same
    • It's one less thing to worry about if I know I have my own supplies
    I'm interested to know what strategies other people use.
  • i think i might try taking gels now my sunday runs are getting longer just to get used to them for the big day, im just wondering how to get water say after 15 miles into a run without having to carry it all the way with me as this would surely be a hindrance to my running, by the way every now and then lucozade visit my local parkrun giving away box loads of gels, powders and snacks for free!! so check out your local parkrun for details. have a good week guys and gals.
  • Just signed up for this, sounds like a good 'un. Done a few maras now but usually with a bit of a swim/ride warm up first, so this will only be my second 'proper' marathon.

Re: gels, I like the SIS isotonic ones, saves having to worry about water, and I use the caffeine ones throughout longer races as I get through a few coffees every day anyway and need the boost. Like the honey gels, and have trained with normal honey in a gel bottle for a cheap fix. Can't beat Jelly Babies for taste and texture though ! Nuuns, or Zyms (again with caffeine) are both good, although usually carry a few salt tabs on the run just in case.

See ya'll there image