Brathay Windermere Marathon

Comments

• I'm not sure where the rumour has come from that the Brathay Windermere Marathon might be cancelled. We are very committed to delivering another distinctive event on May 22nd 2011 - and every year for years to come. The 2011 Brathay Windermere Marathon will not be cancelled.

We really do appreciate the open debate about our requirement to position the event as Brathay’s flagship fundraising event. We’ll continue to review the performance of the event as a fundraiser for our cause, and make future changes as necessary.

Brathay will offer support to all runners to help with raising sponsorship – both using online and more traditional methods. As a charity we value any contribution that people make to support our work. What we hope is that runners who take part do what they reasonably can do to raise some sponsorship – with £200 being a target to incentivise those who have capacity to raise such an amount.

Thanks again to all runners who have supported Brathay's work with disadvantaged children and young people in recent years.

Best wishes
    Scott Umpleby (Race Director)
  • I'd guess that most runners, being thoroughly positive, well-meaning and decent folk, share the sentiments on both sides (if there are sides) of this debate.  I've been lucky enough to run the Brathay 4 times now and recommend it to anyone.  I can't justify the money or find the fundraising time/energy this year, but my plan is to perhaps run Brathay every 2 or 3 years and put aside money over that time as a Brathay marathon fund.  It'll be a treat for me and helping such a really worthwhile charity will be a bonus.  I outlined my feelings as a club runner (who therefore couldn't reasonably expect sponsorship) to Scott earlier this year, and I wish him and Brathay every success this year.
  • Cheers Scott, I've put it as confirmed in my diaryimage. Will try my best to raise £200 but as usual everyone at work seems to have the same idea eg sponsorship for London marathon and other events so can only call on the goodwill of so many folks. Best get cooking!!
  • Hi all, count me in as another "Non Runner" that would have..My friend asked me to do it with him. He entered and didnt even know himself that he had to get sponsors. Says he would not have entered had he known. I along with many more of you will look else where.

• I'm in. I want to run this race and it's a good cause, so why not? How hard can it be to raise £200 in 6 months? I've got £10 in my pocket, that'll count as the first contribution, I'm 5% there already and I only entered the race 10 minutes ago...

• I've just added to my Blog "Brathay Trust's Mission" with a case study of Emily Scott, a teenager living in care in Bradford.

Also if you'd like to follow the progress of next year's Brathay 10 in 10 athletes read their Blogs or follow them on Twitter.

Thank you,

Scott

• Hi everyone

I've signed up today for this event! I personally have no problems with the £200 target, I had a golden bond place for VLM and yes the fundraising is ridiculous as who wants to raise £1600 as part of your conditions to then run in a marathon that's jam packed and you can't even run at your own pace for.

Having said that VLM is an amazing experience; just better if you haven't got a barely realistic minimal target you have to raise if you can. (That's if you're very lucky!) So in relative terms, £200 is nothing! I think i could nearly get that figure from work alone and the rest I'll just make some cakes or something.

The golden bond target last year really stressed me, at the worst time when you're running 17 miles in prep, the last thing you wanna have to think about is "oh crap, I've still another £700 to go". It's not fair. I've however no issues at all with £200 and will get my justgiving site made up this weekend.

Scott; can i just confirm this is an allowed way of getting Brathay the money? (via a online JustGiving site) as it's really easy for my friends / family to just logon and make me a donation.

Great written speech earlier BTW; if £200 p/p keeps this event open by keeping the relations up with the localfirms then I'm all for it. I'll see what I can raise and I really look forward to this.

It's only my 2nd ever marathon and I cannot wait to experience beautiful countryside and great views, a "quieter" marathon where you aren't being slowed down by some "big time Charlies" who train till 13 miles and then give up (slowing one down in the process). I, (from what I can see) think I'll fall in love with Windermere and cannot wait to experience this course.

Kindest Regards

Steven Shaw

PS I really hope all my comments and fair and haven't offended anyone, that's the last thing I'd ever wanna do.

• Update to Scott-have raised 30 quid already from selling cakes to colleagues. Target will be met!!imageimage

Brer

• Hi Steven,

In reply to your post, yes you are very welcome to use an online site such as Justgiving or Virgin Money Giving as as way of fundraising for the marathon.

Thanks for your positive comments about the event and look forward to seeing you in May!

Ali Harris
    Brathay Fundraising Coordinator
  • Nice one Brer rabbit image Good to get a start underway, 15% of the target already, get in!

Ali; that's no problem. I've set up my justgiving site now so will start making it public on my fb site and see what I can get in, sooner it's raised the sooner I can just concentrate on the running side of it.

Can't wait to run this event; yes see you in May. Yay!!

Steven

• I've entered this for the first time, and indeed it's my first marathon, but the raising of £200 is not a legal requirement, so it shouldn't put people off.  'By entering this event runners make a commitment to raising a minimum of £200 for Brathay Trust'  (We don't always achieve what we commit to) 

So I shall attempt to raise the money but if I don't manage to raise it all then I'm still entitled to my place as I've paid my £30, seems fair enough.

• Thank you to all runners who answered our online survey using Survey Monkey this week. Your responses have helped enormously in re-positioning our fundraising expectations of runners entering the 2011 Brathay Windermere Marathon. We’ve considered all the answers and suggestions that have been made, and carried out a thorough review of the event’s fundraising objectives.

Although entries are steadily coming in we are keen to ensure that runners who aspire to run at Brathay are encouraged to enter, irrespective of the amount of money that they raise for our charity.

This year we took a decision to ask runners to make a commitment to raise a minimum of £200 to support our work with vulnerable and disengaged young people. Whilst wanting to remind runners that our marathon is primarily a fundraising event, we also wanted to discover what runners thought of this request? The online survey quickly established that our request for a commitment to raise £200 is proving to be difficult for many runners. As a result, we now wish to make it clear that this request does not preclude those who cannot reach this target, or choose not to secure charity sponsorship.

In the present economic climate charities face fierce competition in their applications for grant funding, so events like the marathon are vital in supporting our future charitable projects.

We recognise that raising sponsorship from family, friends, colleagues and your local community is challenging in the current climate. All we are asking is that runners do what they can to make some contribution to support Brathay’s cause.

Funds raised through the Brathay Windermere Marathon will ensure that the programmes we deliver continue to support young people and communities across the country.  Our programmes are designed to ensure that children and young people have the opportunity to flourish and enjoy their day to day lives in the widest sense. Our targeted approach ensures that young people develop the social skills, self-confidence, and resilience to overcome challenges that they face.

Places for the 2011 Brathay Windermere Marathon are limited to 1,000 so we would suggest that anyone who wants to experience the beauty of the Lakes, the physical exertion of a marathon, and the satisfaction of helping young people succeed in life, act quickly to secure their place on the start line.

Please pass this message on to runners who you think might be interested in the Brathay Windermere Marathon.

Thank you.

Enter Brathay Windermere Marathon
  • Thank-you for that, it's much appreciated that you've taken those comments on board.  I would be inclined to give some kind of 'incentive' for raising over £200, like a prize draw or similar, regards, Leo
  • Scott it is very refreshing to see race organisers listen and act on feedback

For anyone still deciding on whether to enter this race or not, do it!   Its a fab course and I even managed a pb there this year so the lumps do give a bit back on the downhill !!
  • I've just added to my Blog "Brathay Trust's Mission" with a description of a crime prevention and community cohesion programme delivered in partnership with Merseyside Police. The PAYES programme is one of our longest running youth development initiatives - having started in response to the murder of Jamie Bulger in Bootle in February 1993.

To all supporters of the Brathay Windermere Marathon - HAPPY CHRISTMAS & BEST WISHES FOR THE NEW YEAR - from everyone at Brathay.

Also if you'd like to follow the progress of next year's Brathay 10 in 10 athletes read their Blogs or follow themn on Twitter.

Thank you.

Scott

• Thanks Scott for that info. My cake making marathon for fund raising has reached 50 quid already so I will persevere to raise more, however it is reassuring to know that £200 is not a minimum now. Have a good Christmas yourselvesimage
  • Hi Scott

Merry Christmas to you too; can't wait for this race. And yes it is good that you do listen to the people who run your marathons I personally don't think £200 for me shouldn't be achievable though so you can count on me image

Ste

• Listen Up

Im looking forward to this race I aint going to ask anyone for money I will put a quid a day away and raise the brass its sounds a good race Im a yorkshirman but if its a fora good cause so be it.i raised 3000 quid for charities in the past...folk have money they just dont like parting with it,....thanks for the invite and see you in May stop moaning and help ....thanks

• Blimey, if a Yorkshireman can do it..
  • I'm in. The £200 thing prevented me from entering this race which I've been wanting to do for a while, glad to hear they won't be sending the boys round if we don't all make it!
  • Just entered this and I'm quite excited. Looking forward to doing a scenic marathon - only ever done road/city ones.

Just created my fundraising page via Virgin Money Giving.

• Glad you're looking forward to it mate, it's my first one, only ever ran 10ks and 10 milers before..Started my training yesterday, just doing loads of gym stuff and a little offroad/hill intervals for the first month so I don't get shin splints, then gradually increase my mileage on the tarmac following the sub 4 hour plan on here..best of luck with your training, what time you aiming for or you not fussed? Cheers, Leo
  • Cool I'm sure you will enjoy it. It will be my 9th marathon. I have been injured for a few days but went for an easy run yesterday and this morning with no pain so will be back to proper training on Monday. I'm doing London as well so have to train for that. I'm hoping for a pb at London (even though it's not really a pb course with the crowding) but I think at Windermere I will just relax and enjoy the scenery.
  • My entry went in last week, doing Blackpool Half at end of Feb so will see where I am with times after that.  For now though, plenty of hills.

• Official training plan started on Monday..feels real now!
  • Hills hills and more hills for the Lakes marathon...started my training plan monday...going good got a ten miler to do Friday...lets keep this forum going on training this ones going to be hard..ive done london,edinburgh,notts & amsterdam but im sure this will test me to the extreme but im determined to do everything correct in training and take the hills seriously and finish within 4hrs.
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

I did this last year as my first marathon and I'm back this year image I shall try to raise as much of the 200 squids as I can.

It is the most stunning course image

See you there, I'll be at the back!! image

• Hey David, did you do Liversedge yesterday?

• Yes Brer rabbit I did the Liversedge on Sunday...started well 7min miling but the wind took it toll and Ive had a bad cold for two weeks finished in 1 hr 47 not brilliant but a good run all told..did you run it?

Got the spen 20 in march as well as Liverpool HM

• I signed up for this race as soon as places became available and have been putting £30 aside each month to ensure I hand over what I committed to come race day. Does anyone know if it's possible to convert my early bird entry to a bond place instead?

I'm also pleased to see that the £200 requirement has been reviewed and that, consequently, the race will still atttract enough entrants to provide an exciting atmosphere for what will be my first marathon.

I've now started following a RW training plan and entered a couple of warm up races. I'm most excited by the prospect of the Conniston 14+ in April which looks for all the world like a mini-Brathay marathon (single circuit on an undulating course around a large lake a few miles from Ambleside).

Anyone else got any good warm up races planned?