Brathay Windermere Marathon

Comments

• Welcome Daniel - you've picked a good first marathon. Best advice I can offer regarding the bond place would be to contact the Race Director, Scott at Brathay, directly.  I'm sure his details are on the website but expect that you've also had at least one email from him and/or Ali Harris already.  If those two can't help you, and be assured from experience that they will try, then nobody can!

Hope you enjoy Coniston - you're right that its very similar to this in terms of terrain although the field is bigger (about 1500 usually).  I'm giving it a miss this year after several times round in previous years - it is another great race and I'm sure you'll enjoy it but, having done the traditional course half a dozen times, I found that the necessary extra miles last year diminished it for me.  This spring, I'm sticking to doing my long runs on the lanes round the south lakes and only the only racing I have planned is off-road trail events during my cutback weeks.  That said, Dentdale is looking appealing again - or there's the Trimpell 20 - or...........

• CumbriAndy - Thanks, I'll contact the Brathay team. Good to hear Coniston was a good choice!
  • GRBGRB ✭✭✭

we are just thinking about entering this race again this year, my husband did it last year but my plans were scuppered by longterm illness starting just before it. Having finished treatment in January I would love to run this year but had been unsure whether I was up to it physically (staggered round Rome the other week so I guess I more or less am), and am very glad to see the 200 pound requirement has been relaxed.

I am delighted to donate some money to Brathay, a fantastic charity, but was rather horrified at the thought of £400 between us! 

Hoping to be fit enough at least to get round,

GRB

• Not long to go now! image

I've done two 20's (another 20 1st May before the taper) and an array of training distances from 13-18 miles on the "long run Sunday". Also loads of cross training including the fake gym bike and loads of swimming. I'm really going mad to do my best at this one.

I've been scuppered by a knee injury but it's strapped up and the above mentioned cross training is helping to put strength back in it. I'm not missing this marathon for nothing!

Looking forward to the taper; hopefully I'll recover fully before Windermere.

Ste

• WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    I entered this race early but have decided not to do it now so if anybody wants my place they can have it for £20. That's saving of £13-£15. PM me.
  • Did this last year and it was great, was training for an event on the Saturday up there, but just been let down by a partner, and someone has offered me their place for this one.

Is there a proceedure to swap / re-register if using someone elses number?

• You'll need to contact Brathay directly to find out.  Details are on the Event website

However, I did find this statement on the Entry Form 

"The right to participate in this event is highly individual, and as such entries and race numbers are non-transferable".

• WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    I was emailed to say they will not transfer numbers.
  • brer rabbitbrer rabbit ✭✭✭

I'm sure Scott can sort itimage

How's the training going folks?

• Hey Brer Rabit

Yeah not too bad; done three 20's now (Ashby, Oakley and South Cheshire), been scuppered by a knee cartilage injury since Oakley and battled through South Cheshire Sunday but hopefully will recover during the taper ie. now! Will just take painkillers on the day and already running with a knee support on.

How's your training going? I can't wait for this one image

Ste

Hey Ste, keep that support on! Final 22 miler for me last weekend, Hinkley Half on Sunday..then taper time. I'm really looking forward to it now, various personal things have tried to stand in the way of training but they have been overcome! Have you done this one before?

Brer

• Does anyone know if you get your numbers in the post or on the day and also is it chip timed. Many thanks
  • Think you pick them up on the day, and it's chip timed.
  • Hi all, 

Really looking forward to this race now too, its almost here. My taper started this week as I had a 20 mile road race on Saturday, Edinburgh to North Berwick. 

Bit nervous about the hills but I guess they just make it more of a challenge!

I found this course profiler which give you a useful indication of where and how big the hills are.

Click "Show course profile" then drag the blue dot.

Good Luck Evereryone,

Crispin

• Brer: Wow; well done for doing a 22 miler! If I wasn't injured then I'd have done one too. This'll really help you round here I know it!

No I've never done it before; I've only ever done VLM last year so I have really tired hard to prepare myself as best as possible for this.

Cris Walsh; thanks for that profile. This makes the last 2 miles look worse than it does on the official websites course profile but me personally I prefer that, knowing so I can prepare mentally for it.

Ste

Hi Ste, disaster has struck..have knackered my back! Been to physio last night, thought it had worked but today is agony again..so my taper has started in ernest-no running until midweek (next) then hope for the best!

How's your injury?

• Hopefully it was of some help Ste. From what a runners says in last years video the last mile / 2 miles are uphill.

Which is nice. 

• Brer; oh no! What a time to get an injury! Plenty of back stretches then like the one where you get down on your knees, hands forward so you look like your "bowing" down to someone. This should stretch your back a bit. Keep relaxed too and keep good posture to keep further strain off it.

My injury is "being managed" is best way to describe it. It needs icing to keep the soreness off it, I'll be running with painkillers to take at mile 13 and I've looked at the TW article for textbook running and it has helped, trying to run lighter on my feet and of course the knee support is a godsend otherwise I'd have no chance completing this run.

As you can tell I will let nothing stop me completing this marathon, i've learned from my "tough 20" at Crewe where my need was in agony after 14m and tried to do something to stop the onset of pain, can't do no more really.

Ste

• The Brathay 10 in 10 is an endurance running fundraising event to support vulnerable young people. The event, now in its fifth year, involves running the full Brathay Windermere Marathon course 10 times over consecutive days – that’s 262 miles in 10 days! The 13 runners taking part in this years’ 10 in 10 will complete their fifth marathon today (17th May) – half way through their extraordinary journey.

You can watch the event unfold and see daily race results here: http://www.cumbrialive.tv/brathay10in10/

To recognise the huge effort being made by the 10 in 10 runners this year, and to support some of the most disadvantaged young people in the UK, please text: MARA26£5 to 70070 (to make a £5 donation to directly support young people).

Thank you,

Scott
    (Race Director)
  • can i ask that anyone who is running this who has done the JWUltra or relay wear their buffs to support mark in his final day of the 10 in 10 challenge
  • Hi Everyone

I cannot wait for this Sunday; everything's all packed ready for the long-ish drive tomorrow morning. Getting my race number will feel like going to the London Marathon Expo but will instead be the Windermere Expo image

Scott I'll make a donation myself today; the 10 in 10 has been a great watch and I'm so impressed how those 13 just seem to be getting on with it with the minimum of fuss given how tough this challenge is. I'm about to find out exactly how tough too image

Ste

• over 800 photos from todays events (Mara' and 10 in 10) are online now at

www.athletesinaction.co.uk

• What a great event! Best organised event I've ever been to. Friendly, tough, scenic!
    If only the last 385 yards were not, ahem, 700, and the clock 8 secs wrong, it would have been perfect.
    My triumphant sprint for the line was all in vain!... And now I am in tears as I stare, legs throbbing, disbelieving at the cruel results. 2.59.58 has become 3.00.06. They may as well have mown me down with a combine harvester and tossed my broken body into the lake.
    But who cares, a marathon is meant to be torture!!! It was truly memorable for lots of wonderful reasons. Stewards especially were magic! Thanks.
  • Lord Disbury goodness knows how you could even get close to 3 hours on that tough course! You should be very proud of yourself. I train my arse off, 6 days a week inc running 5 days a week and I finished 38 mins behind you! I do know why you're disappointed as we all read the from left to right and wanna read the small number but essentially it's merely a few insignificant seconds.

Absolutely superb effort! image

Ste

• Well done to all finishers, it's a tough one.
  • Where are the restults? Cant find them on the website...yet
  • On the TDL website
  • Thanks for that. Well I got officially 3:38.04 pos 128th out of I'm guessing 900 so I'm well happy image

Ste