Brathay Windermere Marathon

124»

Comments

• There were 1000 people entered, only 700 started!

• fantastic event, great organization. Great place to run. hats off to all ten in ten runners. will be back next year , you can keep the big city marathons.
  • I've submitted a review for this event but reading the comments above reminded me of one other 'small' detail about this event that separates it from others that I have done and builds on the positive comments about the support from crowd and marshalls.  At the finish, when another step is hard enough, it was fantasic to have a volunteer bend down and take the chip off the shoe for you.....a little thing which summed up how well this event was organised for the runners......Well done Brathay!

• anybody know where the photos are- who's website?  fantastic race , super support.
  • www.athletesinaction.co.uk

is one of them....are there any others, I did see a few snappers around the course

• More pics at Marathon Photos here

Better quality, in my opinion, than the athletesinaction ones but so much more expensive.  Think I'll give them a miss 

• Those photo's are ace!

I really enjoyed it, though it was really hard, and the weather was a real worry...I couldn't believe the sun came out, we were all really lucky.  I felt for people who had decided to run in their coats, I would have been sweltering, but it wasn't an easy decision!

Did anyone notice that the mile markers were way early, and the finish ".2" miles was way longer?  I thought the race would be measured short, as every mile marker was substantially early (as per my Garmin), but I ran 26.3 in the end.....I knew that last 200 meters was much further!!

RP

• Yep...longest 385 yards of my life...lol

especially with the hill!

Great race though...really really enjoyed it 

• Hiya Redpanda

Yeah I think that's been identified by a few people already. My GPS says we ran 26.5!! Oh well Never mind we completed it and that's all I'm bothered about image

Someone mentioned about them being expensive photos, well they kinda are but defo best value buying the all-in-one pack as equates to virtually nothing per photo. Think that's what I'm gonna do, pay for the all in one download and then pysically print out the ones I fancy later on.

Race was superb and I'll be submitting a very good review, I knew this would be tough but a fantastic race and that's exactly what it was. Infact it was a fantastic weekend.

image Ste

• Hya

You must have run the course long Steve!  Mine was bob on 26.3.  I learnt after Paris that it can make a big difference, how you run the course, and which bends to cut across etc..though it is harder on a very busy city marathon.  All that said, I was not after any sort of time and like you say, it was tough, but very rewarding!

Will have another think about the pictures...I suppose when you say it like that.....

• You are right; must've been taking the long road home image I was after a time but fell short but I really didn't care as was still a good time and just happy to get round alive in the end.

Here's how I see it: 1 photo itself is expensive. But say there's 9 photos and 4 formats (ish) to download it in, 9x4 = 36 so less than a pound per photo. If you're gonna get any more than 1 photo then just get the lot and then take it to a photo shop or print out yourself if you have all the printing equipment already. Just really depends what you wanna do.

What time did you get RP?

• Yeah, you are right, and the views in the pictures were great...not of me!!

What time did you get?  I got 4.26, but it was a bit of a last minute (ish) decision to run it, and so I had 6 weeks to train.....and yes, it hurt!  I didn't walk any of it though, or even stop for a wee (I wanted to!), so am well pleased.

I believe a course record was set?

• Well that's more than I can say RP; I managed to avoid the toilet urge but ran out of energy by 20.5 and couldn't even get up the hill at 21! I Managed to avoid stopping at London last year so this course proper caught me out. Didn't hold back enough for that hill at 21, I will next time now I know exactly what to expect. Still managed a 3:38:04 which I am delighted about. PB of 28 mins from last year and on a much harder course.

4:26 is a great time, ain't that just uner 10 minute miling? The average person in the UK does 5k's in 30 mins... while you just about beat and over 42k!! You should be very proud of yourself. Well done! image

Ste

• imageHi Steve

You should also be proud!  To get a PB on that kind of course is a brilliant achievement.  It's not easy to pace yourself with those hills, you can't compare it to a flat course, and even the down hills were crippling me by the end....worse than going up if anything. 

It's all good training for the next one eh?!  Oh, and raised nearly £400, and that kept me going.  In fact, with the bad weather at the start, if was probably the only thing that got me out of the car, lol!

• Hey RP

That was kinda the problem really. I was "making up time" on the downhill / flat part of the course to make up for the uphills and burned out image I was planning 8 minutes per mile but it's almost impossible to keep consistent pacing when it's constantly up and down.

My advice to anyone now is to "hang back" till after 21 (on this course) and see what you have left. I really didn't think 21 would be as bad as it was. Oh well it's all experience isn't it and we've done and and still here to tell the tale.

I've just come back from a leg massage, feel so much better now! I advise you to get something like this in place if you haven't already image

Ste 

• Well done guys.  It's great to see they've not lost their touch in Windermere and put on another superb show.  I've just had a read of the Edinburgh thread which shows how easy it can be to get things wrong, so well done to the organisers here.

I would have loved to have done it again but looked elsewhere when there was the original commitment to raise £200.  By the time they'd relaxed that, I had already registered for Coniston in July.

Some great times there and you should all be really proud cos it's one tough course.  That hill at 21 miles did for me Ste.  I was well on for a sub 4 last year until that came up.  I tried to keep running and wasted far too much energy getting up there.  The last 5 miles were hellish as a result!

Enjoy a well earned rest all image

• I agree with you both.

I am fairly good at pacing myself, and in every marathon so far (this is number 5) I have done a negative split, with the last 6 miles the fastest...it went the other way on this one.  However, I am not sure I could have done that much about it.....Those constant hills are going to cripple even the most serious athlete, unless you are trained to superhuman ability I reckon it's probably normal to be struggling at the last few hills.

The hill at 7 was the worst!  I couldn't even bear to look at it, just stared at the ground! 

• Hi all,

What a fantastic day and a great well organised marathonimageimage! Did the Edinburgh last year instead and was a flat boring course along musselburgh taking in no sights of the beautiful city of Edinburgh image, much prefer this one. Took my time a little the first 10 miles which I regret now as people around informing me of lots of hills so time was 3 hours 56 mins, good thing was I took in plenty of the beautiful lakeland sceneryimage. I would not say the hills are a killer infact found them short and sweet image (find marathons normally boring when flat) but I normally run marathons such as Snowdon, Hebden, North Devon, Brighton Trail etc (I hate flat marathons) so maybe my opinion does not count for much when defining hills lol. Registered on the Saturday and everyone was more than helpful, parking was so close to the finish as well (unlike the 2 mile walk at Edinburgh), friendly marshalls, appreciating spectators all round the course and the family loved the fun day whilst I was running (name the teddy and tom bola my 1 year old spent his money on mainly) I really cant fault this marathon and I have ran plenty I could fault! Well done to the 10 in 10 a fantastic life time achievement and a great charity a very emotional thing to do in life. I really would love to do the 10 in 10 being a passionate ultra mad marathon runner I feel I could raise a few thousand for Brathay, anyone out there thinking the same next year? Unfortunately Snowdon is still my favourite UK marathon but this one is up there with the best! Well done Brathay, all the volunteers and all the finishers!!imageimage

• What a great race.  I managed a sub 4 - just (3.58.52) which is a PB by about 10 mins.  I was really happy to do this and to keep running the whole way despite those hills!

I have not thought until now but I totally agree about how excellent the organisation was - I have absoloutely no complaints.  Parking near the finish, drinks, food etc all available at the end.  Friendly and cheerful marshalls.  Brilliantly done Brathay!