Options

Merthyr Mawr Christmas Pudding Challenge 10K -

13»

Comments

• Options
    Just been over there this afternoon - lots and lots of water flowing fast! up to the knees or deeper in places - should be fun!!
    the dipping bridge has been shut recently, so anyone coming from the west on sunday may need to go all the way up to ewenny roundabout and down the longer way to get in - especailly with whats forecast tomorrow!

the other thing is that we're still going with the xmas theme, so mulled wine and mince pies will be offered on the golf course, and we encouarage some carol singing as well!
  • Options
    whole course has been run this morning by the pudding inspector - he is now a little bit wet! All the course is runnable, although you can expect several places to "wash your shoes"!

bring it on!!!
  • Options

Loving it, loving it, loving it. Can't wait now.

Should be one to remember. I'm bringing armbands.

• Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    My local Tesco's is all out of brandy sauce to go with my Christmas pudding image

Looking forward to this now....! Good luck all
  • Options
    Pudding Race Update

Dear Runner,
    We are looking forward to greeting you for this Sunday’s Pudding race (start time 10am) and needless to say it will be a very wet one! parts of the course are completely saturated and we think you’ll love it but come prepared!

Also on the topic of flooding, there is a strong probability that several areas of road leading to Merthyr Mawr village will be flooded (though hopefully passable by Sunday morning), in particular the B4265 in the area by the “dipping” bridge and the Merthyr Mawr Road at its top end before the bridge leading down to the village itself. Merthyr Mawr road was open today (Sat) so it should be fine.

But in the event of road closures, the route to the race and the parking will be accessible via the Tyla lane which is best approached by taking the A48 in a westernly direction so as to be able to take a left onto Tyla lane (see map below). If you are coming from the other direction, we would advise you to proceed down to the “Broadlands” roundabout about half mile further down on the A48 so as to approach Tyla from the left hand lane. Post race leaving via Tyla, we advise taking a left turn back onto the A48 and if you need to head East there is the “Laleston” roundabout about half a mile further down, plus staying on the A48 for 4 miles brings you to Junction 37 of the M4.

Please take great care entering and leaving the village, car pool if you can and expect delays due to the narrowness of the lanes. Remember parking is free BUT only in the allocated areas – anywhere else in the village will be illegal and subject to towing.
  • Options
    good luck everyone! no cheating on the dipper!!
  • Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

Mr Phil...

Thanks for a brilliant race, and I'd like to pass on my thanks to everyone involved especially the excellent marshalls - unfortunately I didn't have time to stop for the mulled wine and minces on the golf course - although I did see someone runner throwing it into their faces thinking it was water image

Definitely one to put in the diary for next year...

• Options
    results are now up

well done to everyone - we sorted the weather once again!

see you all again in december!

http://www.bracklaharriers.co.uk/cms/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/MerthyrMawrPuddingResults2010.pdf
  • Options
    Absolutely loved it!  How much of this route can I run in training or was some parts just opened up for the run!  Congrats to Brackla Harriers by the way - great race.
  • Options
    you can run all of it other than going across the sewarage farm bridge - you'll need to go down to ogmore castle and either do the stepping stones, or the iron bridge, then retrace your steps through m mawr village to the car park.
    glad you enjoyed
  • Options
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/223505/Gallery/pudding_training.JPG

Spitty, exactly what Mr Phil says regarding running the route on 'non-race day'......but to add that it's much more interesting to take the bridal path from the bottom of the downhill-valley section, to behind the Pelican, rather than just run on the main road past the sewarage bridge.

See attached......

• Options
    Phil - thanks for that - i often run the route as one of my longer marathon efforts, and always hated the bit going onto the road - now i can avoid it, and carry on merrily down to the stepping stones!

Next [this?] years race is on dec 18th. we are opening entries online only on oct 1st. get in quick - bribes will be accepted!
  • Options
    It's a little tougher (as you'd expect) but a lot more enjoyable