Winter Tanners - What amazing value!!!

Wow I can't believe there are still events out there charging less than a tenner entry!! And £2.50 is simply unbelievable value!!!! How could I say no to that image

Any other runners doing the 30 miler? I can't wait... image Looking forward too, to a bit of old fashioned navigation image

Comments

• It's a ldwa event so you'll most likely find food included as well image.
  • ......on looking at website probably not as it is a 'minimalst' event.  Still great value and can actually get a train to start early Sun. am.  Def. interested.
  •  I did this last year. It's a good event to blow out the Christmas cobwebs. I'm in again.

• Great event did it in 2009.
  • I did this last year, certainly hope to do it again this time - it's a great run. Yes you will get food and the cuppa tea at the last checkpoint was really welcome last year!
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Cheque being posted today image
  • Posted my cheque off today. I have fancied doing a LDWA event for a while.
    How is the navigation? Anything to worry about?

• This is one of my favourite events.  If you are wibbling just do it... beautiful scenery, lots of mud and hills, the routes are easy to follow and you get tea and coffee on the way round.

I'll be there, probably doing the 20 unless I can get my backside into gear... image

• Its an LDWA event, they're always good value compared to the running clubs. I help run the West Lancs events and it'll be about £7 for a 20+ mile route with food and drink at most checkpoints, pie & peas at the end and a certificate

Makes you wonder how a running club can charge £12 for a half marathon and all you get is a couple of cups of water!

R

• I've read good reviews of the LDWA events.  Doing the 30 miler as a training run for a 50 miler in Jun 11.  The Winter Tanner is certainly a good reason for not porking out over Xmas.  Look forward to meeting like minded lunatics.
  • I've just seen this and will probably do the 20 miler. Have done my first race today (Half marathon) and enjoyed it so much that I'm really fired up now to do more and over longer distances in preparation to attempt my first Marathon in April (Brighton).  

Sounds like fun and fab value for money. It's the day before I go on holiday for 2 weeks so will have plenty of time to recover.

• Yep I'll be along for the 30 as part of my final MdS training. Not sure january in Surrey will quite mimic April in Morocco but hey it all helps!

• As ling as I don't break my leg skiing over NY I'll be there too, I think it was snowed off last year though.
  • I will be doing this for the umpteenth time.

Car Park is free on Sundays and/or train station is only a couple of hunded yards away. Check points with water and squash, tea normally at the last cheque point with biscuits. Turn up and go start so no hanging around.

Different route every year. Directions given and if followed carefully no map is normally required. Absolutely no signs/marshals so a map may be a handy back-up.

The entry fee is between £2 and £5 for LDWA members at the cheapest end to £5 on the day. Provides awesome value. They post a certificate out later and manage to donate a couple of hundred quid to charity as well.

An excellent event put on for very little money - no energy gels, no sponsorship, no t-shirts, no mugs, medals or junk.

Meface

• You also have to big up the organiser and those friendly and supportive folk at the check points....thanks peeps...see you again this year image

• Does anyone have any idea how easy it is to find your way in this? I am walking it, but I have a hopeless sense of direction. Is a map a good idea, and if so, what map? Obviously a road map would be useless, so presumably an ordnance survey one. Where can I get one, and what scale does it need to be to be of any use ?
  • They  roecomend Ordinance Survey Landranger 186 and 187 or Explorer 145 and 146. I usually use Landranger maps I think the Explorer has more detail. You can get them formt he Ordinance Survey website and they are pretty good and quick in terms of delivery.
    Personally I don't know if I am going to bother getting the maps. I feel like I should but I am not much cop at map reading so not sure how much of a help they would be even if I did get them.   
  • The route sheets which are provided are very detailed, and as long as you concentrate there is no reason to get lost. However, if you do happen to get lost, then a pre-marked map could help out as a backup.
  • Thanks Mr Guy and Dino. I didn't realize that route sheets were provided, I thought we just went blundering off into the wide blue yonder! They should be enough for me - if I get lost using those I'd probably be just as lost with a map, but I might take one along, just in case.
  • Do they hand out the route maps on the day?
  • Kate - if it's like other LDWA events you turn up at registration, they give you the route instructions (not map, just very detailed instructions eg follow path for 200m, fork left through gate to field, cross road, pass pub etc.) and note what time you set off and then you are on your way. Not like running a marked trail but very good practice trying to follow directions while you run and a great way to get some miles in.

If it's wet it's a good idea to bring a map folder (or whatever they're called) or sturdy plastic wallet for the instructions as I've had them disintegrate in my hands before.

Must send off my entry sharpish as I've missed this for the last 2 years.

• Thanks Helly, am also putting my entry in the post today.
  • Will be doing the 30 as a walk - need time on feet training for the Thames Trot 50 in Feb

Have done a couple of LDWA events now - very friendly and unbelievably cheep, especially with all the food and drink.  No medal, usually just a certificate.  Let's face it, how many just put their medals in a box?

Am going to look at doing more of these events.

• I'm doing the 20-mile walk.

Does anyone have any advice about footwear?

Are trainers suitable?

I have a pair of hiking boots, but I wore those for the Three Peaks - are they a bit heavy duty for Surrey's rolling hills?

• crazyrunner - this one's minimal (squash & biscuits, no meal afterwards) so you may want to bring snacks. 

For anyone who hasn't done it before, keep checking out the LDWA Surrey website  in case there's a cancellation.They will either be emailing or sending out the route by about 02/01/11. There is also no race HQ as it starts  in a car park so if you have baggage you'll have to leave it in your car.

Mad  Uncle Bob - keep an eye on the weather is all I'll say.

• Joining instructions are out

<bounces around thread with excitement> image

• the best run event! i did last year imagewell organized!!! free drinks ,tea and so on!! Im going to run again!!!! see you there runners.....image
  • Joining instructions are where? Can't see them on website. I sent off a cheque before xmas but it hasn't been cashed yet, which is not a total surprise given the weather and royal mail etc.

Nige 

• Hi Nigel

The joining instructions were sent to me via email a couple of days ago and there were attachments within this stating the route and various instructions, might be worth contacting a Lady called Fiona on their website.

Good Luck, AHA

• Hi AHA, that sounds like a good idea.

Cheers, Nige