Winter Tanners - What amazing value!!!

Comments

• Hi Nigel

Any luck with the entry, I suppose you can enter on the day, but you may have to pay the extra £2.50, (if only every run/race was a cheap as this)

Good luck, AHA

• Ssshh! Don't tell everyone or there will be no entries on the day left!!!

Seriously - hats off to LDWA and Fiona in this case for putting on the best value events in UK. IMHO runners should join LDWA as entry fee is v low and they deserve an extra contribution for their selfless hard work.

Route description on website. As usual tried to follow this on map website last night and failed but my easier on the day. At start there is a marked up OS map and my advice is to mark up your own to use as back up to route description. Each time I have done this I have got slightly lost and always handy to have map to take a quick bearing etc to get back on track.

Mix of trails (mainly) and roads so trail shoes probably best for runners. Boots ok for walking but trainers would also do. A few nice little hills to keep us all honest and the Box Hill steps <ouch> .

See you on Sunday - my second LDWA event of the year!! Happy Running!!
  • Need to take own map - Explorer 146 <Boxhill> this time.
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    I`ve read the route instuctions...................and hope to finish this by Tueday image
  • First time I will attempt to do this one, looks like I will try and follow someone who looks like they know where they are going, or someone who has a large map, whoever I follow, please don't go to fast.

Tuesday Mr K, I might book the whole week off work

AHA

• Hi AHA,

I've emailed Fiona, but I don't see a problem though. Just the postal system, snow & xmas break and the fact I never posted it until the 23rd Dec.

I've downloaded the info from the website. Are you doing the 20 or 30?

Nige

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

I posted mine last week and got an email 2 days later! It shouldn't be a problem Nigel but good idea to contact Fiona. Haven't looked at route yet but no-one told me the Box Hill steps were involved image It's beginning to look like maybe I should invest in a map.

Hello Mr K  - nice to see you inbetween New Forest runs.

• Morning all,

Nigel, I have booked to do the 30 miler, but after reading the route, I might end up doing a 50 miler by the time I run the wrong way and back again.

I'm planning on running as much as I can, but never in a million years going to run it all, slow and steady and plan on following someone with the biggest map, or GPS.  Was going to plan a map, but by the time you carry a map, route instructions, food, water,--------etc, I'll need a suitcase.

What are you planning on doing?

AHA

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    helly d wrote (see)
     Hello Mr K  - nice to see you inbetween New Forest runs.

Yes nice to see you to again.....but I suspect it will be `briefly` - again image  Did you see the DotD was cancelled?

Weather doesn`t look that good.

• Do you think it's possible to map and load into a Garmin?

• AHA,

I emailed Fiona overnight and there is no problem with entry. Just not arrived in post yet, so just turn up on day.

I'm doing the 30 (slowly) as training for the Thames Trot (50 miles) 4 weeks later....

Has anydody who has done this before, confirm the car park is easy to find? I'm coming from Oxford so it will be just coming upto sunrise if I aim to arrive betwwen 8-8.15. Can just imagine me wasting time trying to find the car park, let alone navigating the course! 

Nige

• By the look of the weather over the next couple of days the going will be very soft! 

Nige - there are two car parks virtually side by  side, but not connected and accessed from two of the sides of a rectangle.  .  The one where we start is likely to be full by 8.00am so basically head for the station and the car park is north of the railway just  before the railway bridge.  Coming from Oxford the car park is on your left with the station just ahead on the right.  If you go wrong you will probably pass the other car park on your right, just keep turning right round the rectangle and you will reach the second one.  There will be loads of people around so hard to miss.

The Route Description on this event is one of the best - just make sure you follow it carefully and don't assume the person in front knows where they are going, it might be me!!

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Yes, weather is looking particularly wet. Just how muddy is this likely to be ?

As long as the answer is "not as bad as Gatliff 2009" I'll still  be there.

Mr. K  I hope you didn't pay for DOTD this year as I believe no-one's had a refund YET!

• old4speed, thanks for the directions, should help a lot.

Weather looking nice for Sunday, but wet for a couple of days before. Oh well, can't have it all....

Nige

• Directions for car park are very clear on the final instruction that can be downloaded from website.

Weather forecast has been v inaccurate recently so lets hope they have it right for Sunday. There may be soft bits, but there still seems quite a lot of tracks/roads on this course plus there are large areas of soft sand in Surrey Hills!
  • Decided to enter also - probably for the 30 miler as prep for the Jurassic in March. Looking forward to seeing some of you there (and hopefully sharing the navigation!)

• Paul

Good on you for entering, as long as your not to fast, I don't mind sharing some navigation, however, I'm going for a run/plod and doubt if i'll make it all the way round, without have a break/walk/amble etc.  My main goal is to finish and just want to enjoy the run and the experience of completing a 30 miler.

Good luck to everyone

AHA

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    I can see why us `Runners` (what a laugh that is) have to start after 08:30.........because it`s still dark image
  • See you all at the start tomorrow around 8:30! Lets hope for nice weather. Going for a LSR - nice easy run/walk strategy to see how legs feel over last 10 miles. I hope to share some of the fun with you - look out for the bright shirt!

• I'm aiming for an 8:30 start as well. Should be donning my yellow/blue Leppin Squeezy bandana to keep my head warm. Current forecast is for a sunny day but 2C at start, so a bit fresh....

Nige

• Surrey is dry at the moment but it's been pretty slippy out there, will be looking forward to a cuppa at the checkpoints......... if I can find them.
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    And I'll be a 9.00 start as  I really don't think I can haul myself up in time for the early train. I'll see those of you I manage to catch up with (ha!).
  • Map marked and kit packed for tomorrow.  Anyone who want's to join me for a steady plod (+ regular walks) is more than welcome.  I'll be the unathletic looking guy in the red Army Benevolent Fund vest.....regardless of temperature!
  • John - you marked the map from the instructions?!? That's brilliant, I have tried even using online mapping and google earth and I cannot follow two sections of the route at least!!

Pretty wet underfoot round here, so that might affect your choice of shoe!

Had planned an early night but neighbors just asked us round for a curry!! I'll pretend it's carbo loading!!

Sleep well!
  • John, you seem confident with the route by the sounds of things, what time you planning on kicking off, I wouldn't blame you on taking a wrong turn, as I'll probably end up doing around 35 miles, by the time I take some wrong turns then get back on track.

AHA

• I like the mountains, where good Nav is essential.....and also I really don't fancy running more  than 30 miles (for the moment at least).  I've been thinking about the weather and can't decide between wellies and my trail shoes with sealskin socks!  Probably the latter as I've trained in them.  From the LDWA site it seems that runners (well it's more of a fast shuffle) start at 0830, but I'll probably be in the car park from 0730 ish.  Longest run to date has been 28 miles, so this is new territory for me as well.
  • First time I have done this type of run and this distance, but what a great day, I found it very tough, but a big thanks to all the people who created the run and the marshalls and people at the check points and fellow walkers/runners, went wrong once, so according to the Garmin done around 31.2 miles, that will teach me.

I final thanks to a youg chap called Paul, who I managed to run with and without him, god only knows where I would have been, Paul has done around 87 marathons and good luck to him on reaching the 100.

AHA

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

That was fun image What a mud fest, with nice views and those hills...and cups of tea & biscuits thrown in.

1st and not my last LDWA event - great event. Well done LDWA.

Too much flaffing around at the start and left at 09.00 in the end. Shame ankle didn`t want to play so opted for the 20 in the end. With time I`ll get used to those wonderful instructions.

Excellent day out.

Nice to see again helly.

For anyone that saw me I was wearing a purple vest with Skin recovery legs on and the muddy trainers.

• Well done Fiona and the rest of the LDWA team on another great Tanners. Much harder course IMHO than 2009 although this may just have been the conditions underfoot.

We were lucky with the weather and the awesome views (if you had time to enjoy them).

Kept run/walk for most of the run up to final checkpoint and then tried to keep going from there. Awful cramp descending to Tanner YH but fortunately able to run through it. Not sure 20m and 30m-ers in the same week is a good idea though!!

Those two sections across the field were killers - real energy sappers - not to mention the hills. The contours certainly didn't lie when it came to the climb from the railway to CP3 - what a killer climb.

Finally found where "summer lightning" MTB course is - sad to see Nirvana Cycles in Westcott closed down.

Hope you all had a good time!

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Nice run - weather was perfect if a bit cold after that last checkpoint. Great value with plenty of biscuits etc. at checkpoints. Beautiful views but this is one run I wouldn't fancy doing in the rain - those steps!

. Didnt get lost though made easier by  the fact that towards the end there were quite a lot of walkers and runners in sight, alwats a bit easier with a high turnout. Glad to see you'l be back for more partridge.

So it was injury rather than mud that did for you Mr K?