Winter Tanners - What amazing value!!!

13»

Comments

• First LDWA - definitely not the last.

Whoever said the gound might be soft???????

At one point I almost  felt like kneeling down and kissing the tarmac, would have done if someone nearby hadn't pointed out that it only lasted 10 yards before we had to turn off across country again.

Very clear route instructions, wonderful weather, the views from the top of the Boxhill escarpment as the sun was rising above the treeline were amazing.

Met lots of wonderful people on the way, great camaraderie and fun to be jogging/walking without any of the competative element.

Would really recommend this type of event to runners wanting to step up mileage, not having a fixed mass start was great it offered the opportunity to jog or walk along with others, support  and security knowing that if you tire you can always walk.

No bling, but T-Shirts and medals are not needed when you finish knowing that you have achieved something having completed 20 or 30 miles. 

Thanks to those manning checkpoints.

• I agree with all the above - my first LDWA and I will certainly be back.

The muddy fields in particular were a complete killer, but I guess that sort of challenge is exactly why we enter these types of events!

Beautiful weather, a great course, very clear instructions, cheery marshalls and great value. A classic event. Thanks to the organisers and marshalls.

• Jerry-Jerry- ✭✭✭

I hadn't realised this was on Runners World until now....what an absolutely brilliant run. Wasn't quite expecting to get so much mud but even so we thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing (as usual).

Found I was running better on Leith and Box Hill finding the lower sections hard going only due to the conditions though. I am pleased with the whole day as I am training for bigger things and had not tapered at all in the lead up to this. 

Is it just me but do everyone elses quads feel as though they have been hit with a rolling pin?

• exactly the same here Jerry - really aching quads today. Great event though, and somehow a new 30m PB for me (6:05)
  • ah was great run eventimage I like it very much! ....agrrrr  I can't believe my knees where hurting so bad  I had to walk and run the last 6 miles image ....imageimage.....

• What a great event. Really enjoyed it. Recorded 31.4miles on the Garmin, but that was me going wrong! .... once or twice ..... actually three times......lol

Fantastic weather on the day, with some stunning scenary. Reminds me why I enter these events nowadays as to road running. Very soft underfoot, but we didn't really expect anything else did we?

Fantastic organisation. Did what it said on the tin. Simplistic, knew what to expect and for £2.50, fantastic value, which I doubt will be bettered this year or decade.

Respect and lots of thanks to Fiona and her team at LDWA Surrey.

Nige

P.S. Oh yes, btw, I do ache like hell as well.

• Hi everyone,

Glad you enjoyed the event! The consensus seems to be that it was one of the toughest WT routes for some years so well done for getting around, and coping with the route description. (I can't take any credit for the route or the route description - that is down to John Westcott, and I'll pass on your compliments to him). 

I'll post here when the provisional results are available on the Surrey group's website, I hope by the end of the week.  Certificates (an LDWA tradition) will follow in due course. 

There are still a few places left on the Punchbowl Marathon on 13 February. See http://www.ldwasurrey.co.uk/ for details. 

(Nigel - your entry arrived in yesterday's post!)

• Missed out on the Tanners due to injury but the Punchbowl sounds like it deserves a thread all of it's own. Standby.......
  • Congratulations to the organisers for putting on this great event; I did it last year and enjoyed it so much that I persuaded a mate to join me on it this time round (once again well done on the navigation Sam, you're a star).

We entered as walkers but ended up jogging most of it. At six miles my left shoe developed a split between the sole and upper. By checkpoint two, the right one had gone the same way. Stuff was getting into the shoes - mud, stones, twigs and such - but mostly seemed to be going out again. At about 23 miles disaster struck and the sole of the left shoe came away from the upper; we attempted to tie the sole to my foot with the shoe lace, some cord from Sam's back pack and some string provided by a very nice lady who was doing a bit of gardening in her cottage next to the lane. Just as I was about to set off with this Heath Robinson contraption in place, the very nice lady's other half appeared with a pair of Specialized cycling shoes, complete with metal quick release plates and near rigid soles. Gratefully I laced them up and slipped, slithered, clicked and clacked the last seven miles. I wouldn't recommend them as a cross country shoes, but compared to a Walsh sole and a shoe lace they were heaven.

I’m taking the shoes back today, thoroughly cleaned and with a pot of home made plumb jam as a thank you.

Cheers - Raymond

•  well done Raymond.

Your exploits were posted onto my facebook page.

Pleased the improvised footwear helped you to finish

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=1716021413193&id=1017933557&aid=96151&ref=pd

• Jerry-Jerry- ✭✭✭

Raymond you are a legend, my friend Peter must have been running with or near you as he reported back to us that "some poor blokes shoes fell to pieces and he got a pair of cycling shoes to run in from a person from a local house"

We were all commenting that your feet must have been wrecked!!!

• They feel worse today after I ran intervals with the club last night in a pair of lovely soft saucony road shoes!

Cheers - Raymond

• Jerry-Jerry- ✭✭✭

I went to my club last night and joined in with the slow group and got told I was waddling

See here

• Raymond - that is a great story, well done on getting round.

Jerry - a waddle is better than nothing. I went for a very easy 4 miler with the dogs this morning and the legs felt heavy at the start. Took 3.5m to ease up!!! Can't believe how wet it is around here. I am glad I am not running over all those fields again!!!
  • Damn... actually missing not being able to have a rant about some tardy aspect of weekend event organisation, somehow the week just doesn't feel the same.

£2.50?

£2.50!!!!!!!!

How can you put on an event and just charge £2.50!!!!!!!!!

It is nothing short of criminal!!!

So, I thought that i would have to go and join the LDWA  to contribute - Just £13 for a whole year ????? And you get a magazine! That's approximately how much our weekly shoping bill went up last week!!

Rant over image

• Jerry-Jerry- ✭✭✭

Kevan

Strider is a great read with interesting stuff about long distance walking...be it that some of the walkers were overtaking most of us runners on the steeper climbs I have a new found respect for them image

• Well done everyone who completed this year's event. Sorry to have missed it due to recovering from a bad cold. However hope to do the Punchbowl next month - did it 2 years ago in the snow and it was magical, the Punchbowl looking positively Alpine.

Also well done to the LDWA for putting on such well organised events at minimal cost. If they can do it, it does makes you wonder why other organisers, like Extreme Running, charge so much. 

• Any idea when the results will be published. I know its not a race but it would be interesting to see how/if people were slower/faster than previous years....

...I need comfort that it wasn't just me who was slower!!
  • I've been checking the Surrey LDWA website but they dont seem to have gone up yet.

I'm sure they will go up at some point.....all previous years results are listed in the "archive" tab, I suppose we will just have to wait.

I'm looking forward to checking them out myself! image

• Apologies for the delay in getting provisional results published - a breakdown in comms between me and the webmaster. Anyway, they are now available for viewing on the Surrey Group website: http://www.ldwasurrey.co.uk/

There are only a few people who we missed checking out or back in; otherwise the results look reasonable. If anyone has any query with their result, let me know via e-mail.

I'll aim to get everything confirmed and certificates sent out asap; but I'm battling against a deadline for getting the next batch of events onto the LDWA event calendar. 

thank you for your patience.

fiona