Options

Child Benefit to be scrapped for higher earners

Comments

• Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)

Pops, I don't have a problem with paying for the education of kids, but stuff like the extra, after-school activities, and so on - surely that's for parents to pay for if they think it has value?

I pay for ALL my kids after school activities (including the ones the school used to do for free) and it costs me an absolute fortune. Which ones are you suggesting are funded by the taxpayer Wilkie? You get nothing round here for free. Eldest Miss LB's school is Voluntary Aided and therefore partially funded by parents and they come after us on a daily basis even for things like books.
  • Options
    JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

Not sure it was Wilkie's point LB, Pops was saying they have to pay for everything and Wilkie was asking surely thats right if you want your kids to take part in extra activities, a point on which i agree.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    <blockquote class=quoteheader>AndrewSmith wrote (<a href='http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=9&UTN=166263&cp=3#8856434' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>see</a>)<blockquote class=quote>It is all quite simple really, we are just another animal on this planet and our sole consideration is to continue our race, society should support those offspring as they are the future of our species. And those who selfishly choose not to have children or who cannot because they are reproductive rejects should be made to do their bit by helping support those who are doing parential their duty!

LOL - that old chestnut image

LB - JWrun is right, that's the point I was making in response to Pops.

• Options

Ah right.....

I completely agree that you should pay for your kid's activities. I actually don't see why people like Wilkie who have CHOSEN to not have children can't have a tax break for NOT using extra resources actually!

I'd be well peed off at working families tax handouts / child tax handouts and CB if I were childless! As it is, I have never spent a single penny of my child benefit and I have saved it since the day my kids were born, thus proving I don't actually need it.

But I have PLENTY of friends who are in a situation where one parent earns slightly above the threshold and they will lose CB altogether now and they DO need it.

If you've got a mortgage and several kids, £40,000 a year doesn't actually go that far. I'm amazed people think its a lot.image

• Options
    Cross post with Wilkie image
  • Options

Yeah, Wilkie you selfish bugger! Fancy NOT having kids.

Here - have one of mine.image

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

LB, I heard on the radio this morning that the median salary in the UK is twenty-something thousand.

Therefore, £40k would seem like a lot, to a lot of people.

I like your thinking on a tax break, though! image

• Options
    Median salary is £24,000 ish.
  • Options

There seems to be no thought to those already on benefits who have large families & keep on having more kids - why should everyone pay for them? If the higher earners dont get the benefit, then surely the ones on long term support shouldnt either?

No I dont have kids and I like the idea that I get a tax refund for services not used!

I also dont like parent & child parking at supermarkets either, but thats a different argument...

• Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    If you've got a mortgage and several kids, £40,000 a year doesn't actually go that far. I'm amazed people think its a lot.image

It is alot, I am not sure I know anyone who earns £40k a year.

I guess its a case of living to your means, I earn ALOT less than £40k a year, but only have one child, we could comfortably lose CB and it wouldn't affect us, so I really don't understand how someone, who is living within their means, earning £40k+ a year couldn't afford to lose CB.

• Options

Because people now come out of uni with massive debt, huge mortgages and large childcare costs. It gets eaten away very quickly.

Why SHOULD someone earning £40K lose CB when they are already paying a higher rate of tax anyway?image Is it right that higher earners should be taxed to death (or quite often out of the country) because they have managed to succeed in whatever they have chosen to do and they've got on in life? The number of people I know who have said "there's nothing here for me anymore" and buggered off is unbelievable". And these are SKILLED people - doctors, accountants, folk we should try to keep.

I KNOW I come across as much more right wing than I probably am, but it really winds me up that people automatically assume the "rich" should pay more and by "rich" they mean "middle England".

Bankers are rich, Football players are rich. Alan Sugar is rich. £40,000 a year with a £200, 000 mortgage does not make you rich. It makes you skint. But the last government allowed people to have 5 times their salary and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

• Options
    trendyrunner wrote (see)

I also dont like parent & child parking at supermarkets either, but thats a different argument...

You NEED a wider space when you are trying to put an infant carrier into a car. This does not always follow that they should be by the front door. When I rule the world they will be in the furthest corner of the car park and those who GENUINELY want to use one won't mind walking the extra few feet!
  • Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I KNOW I come across as much more right wing than I probably am, but it really winds me up that people automatically assume the "rich" should pay more and by "rich" they mean "middle England".

I really think that the "rich" are quite a way out of touch with reality when it comes to wages.
  • Options

D2D - shop at Sainsburys then. They have wider spaces for anyone who wants to park in them!

I agree though parent and baby spaces should only be valid until 7pm. After that - your bloody kid should be in BED!

If you park your car through the day in MY local supermarket and they catch you, you'll be slapped with a sixty quid fine.

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    trendyrunner wrote (see)

They are a lifesaver.  Can you imagine putting a child into a carseat (or the whole carseat into the car with a sleeping baby in it) when someone has parked so close to you you think it's time to go back into the shop to buy a tinopener?

HOWEVER, if they were at the far side of the carpark, they would be just as handy for that purpose, and lazy people wouldn't clog them up.

• Options
    danowat wrote (see)
    I really think that the "rich" are quite a way out of touch with reality when it comes to wages.

Agreed. Did you ever see that programme with the MP's who had to live on JSA?

And MP's are not that well paid in comparison to some.

• Options

Andrew Smith: 

The world's poulation is growing unsustainably. Not too many decades down the line we may well see people fighting wars over over food, water and other natural resources. 

And you think people who choose not to have children are the selfish ones?

You're barmy  mate.

• Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    danowat wrote (see)

Agreed. Did you ever see that programme with the MP's who had to live on JSA?

And MP's are not that well paid in comparison to some.

I didn't, because things like that tend to angry up the blood!!!.

Personally, I'd be happy if the title of this post said "Child benefit to be scrapped".

• Options

You can see fighting for food in the UK.

Usually on Christmas eve when the missus has sent her man out on a mission to find bread sauce with instructions he is not to come back until he has some! image

• Options
    Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

To be fair I was making a remark more about the pensions public sector workers get, which are certainly NOT fully funded.

And the reasons given for G operations are exactly what barkles said - they save more money long term.

it is alleged.

I have worked in the public sector for most of my working life first in the RAF and then education finally ending up as a staff nurse for the NHS. I have always paid into my pension, whilst it is probally better than most private sector pensions I have still paid for it. The pension is part of my contract of employment. Over the last few years the NHS pension scheme paid more into goverment coffers than it took out.

The recent problems have been caused by a poorly controlled global banking system. More of my tax has gone into saving banks than saving lifes.

The public sector is easy game for the conlib alliance at the effect will be felt heavily in South Yorkshire due to the relience on public sector jobs after the last con gov wrecked the steel and mining. Of course this matters  little compared to house prices in the south or bankers bonus's. 

Even when a great firm like Forgemasters tries to get one step ahead and become a world leader in an expanding market the chuckle brothers (cameron and clegg) put a stop to it.

Sorry about the rant 

• Options

School- when I was at school, oh so very many years ago - I had to buy my own pens and paper and folders (this is secondary school) we also had to pay for books and buy our own text books and additional materials. We had to pay a nominal fee into the school coffers every year just to attend. This was a state school. All extra-ciricular activities were charged. I also had a saturday job from age 12 so that I could afford to buy all this stuff pluss my school uniform.

I seem to agree with Wilkie and FB here.

High earners, tax, pension. I and my partner both have pensions outside of the state pension. He has a company pension and I have some other wierd arrangement. Sometimes it wipes out all my earnings. Most people who can afford it will.

Mortgage - you mean that you're not cabable of working out how much your mortgage is going to cost you? My partner and I took out a joint mortgage at 1.5X our joint income. We didn't buy the best propery in the best area, we bought a very cheap house in a very cheap area. We bought what we could afford. If you live outside of your means then it's going to come back and bite hard. No one forced anyone to take out a 5x mortgage. I'd love £500,000 home, but er!

• Options

Of course they weren't forced to take out that mortgage - but they were encouraged to.

When I was a financial adviser the rules were fairly simple. It was 2.5 times your joint salary or 3 times a single one. There was very little deviation from that.

Then house prices went utterly mental and people started taking out 50 year mortgages at 5 times their salary. Nobody told them they were unaffordable and because lots of folk were doing it, it seemed ok. Of course they have to take SOME responsibility for their actions but I still blame the economic LUNACY of that time for a lot of the problems we have today.

• Options
    Willie said - 'I know you weren't asking me, Cinders, but MY beef with IVF is the idea of the NHS paying for it.
    I'm childfree by choice, but I do understand that a lot of people would like to have children but can't, but they are not actually ILL, not in need of treatment to save their lives, or their limbs, so I don't agree with the NHS funding very expensive rounds of IVF.'

I agree! I am a hypocrite though as my kids come from NHS funded IVF. It's like CB, if they are giving it away then i'll accept it but I don't need it. The truth is that IVF really isn't that expensive, not when you consider the running costs of a kid (in the car upkeep sense). If you can't save up approx 3k to fund an IVF cycle then how do you expect to be able to feed the kid and keep it in nappies?

By stopping IVF on the NHS then you will be stopping only those that can't support a child. Fewer benefits claimed, everyone wins.
  • Options
    AndrewSmith wrote (see)
    It is all quite simple really, we are just another animal on this planet and our sole consideration is to continue our race, society should support those offspring as they are the future of our species. And those who selfishly choose not to have children or who cannot because they are reproductive rejects should be made to do their bit by helping support those who are doing parential their duty!

What absolute tosh.

To have children or not is choice. To choose not to have children is no more selfish and in some respects less selfish than to choose to have children. Humans are destroying this planet at the cost of all other life. I choose the life of the planet over a selfish desire to procreate.

Our sole consideration is not to continue our race, it is also to continue the viability of this planet. The human population is already consuming more than it can produce. We are destroying this planet.

• Options
    Is a desire to procreate not the most natural feeling in the world though if you feel it?image
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I agree though parent and baby spaces should only be valid until 7pm. After that - your bloody kid should be in BED!

Agreed!image

bikermouse wrote (see)

Mortgage - you mean that you're not cabable of working out how much your mortgage is going to cost you? My partner and I took out a joint mortgage at 1.5X our joint income. We didn't buy the best propery in the best area, we bought a very cheap house in a very cheap area. We bought what we could afford. If you live outside of your means then it's going to come back and bite hard. No one forced anyone to take out a 5x mortgage. I'd love £500,000 home, but er!

I do agree in principle (our mortgage is only just more than 1 x our joint income), but in some parts of the country there are no houses which are priced in that bracket. 

The lowest priced property (studio flat) where I live is c £85k, and there is no available council housing stock.  For a young couple, one on minimum wage, with a child, this is more than 5x income.

Ok, then you get back to the "if you can't afford kids...." argument.

But yes, there are a lot of people who have chosen to live outside their means.

• Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    Is a desire to procreate not the most natural feeling in the world though if you feel it

I like a good shag.. Is that the same ?