Training For The 'Right' Distance

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I'm so disappointed! imageimageimage

Time 27:21, PB 26:22.

Life goes on...I guess.

Me feeling good about my run = I'm going too slow!!! (Not that I felt I could've gone any quicker!) 

• Hard lines Mikasa.  But don't forget, you haven't started doing "quality sessions" yet (I don't think).  You'll blast that pb when you've done those for a while I'm sure.

I do just one speed/tempo session a week at the moment (started 3 weeks ago) and was all set to increase that to 2 sessions next week, but having taken a week off I'll stay at one session for the next 2 weeks before increasing.  A slow 5 miles done today but I didn't really get into it.  Couldn't find a comfortable pace for some reason and it was hard work to keep my HR down.  8 or 9 miles planned for tomorrow.  Happy running everyone.  image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Just done a 4.6mi easy run to bring me to the end of the first 4 weeks of 20miles a week. image

I've been thinking though....Instead off starting any quality work, I think I might want to keep building up my base and increase mileage to 28/30miles a week in the coming weeks and then hold that for a period of time before finally starting to introduce quality work outs? What do people think of this idea?

• Well done on completing the 4 weeks mikasa.  I've no idea how long an ideal base is though. image

I did a lovely 10 miles today round Bushy Park today.  Funny how some runs work and others just don't.  I could have gone on for ever despite the rain.  image

• I only did just over 6k today and boy it was tough! I agree Soup Dragon, you just never know if it is going to be a good day or not.

Mikasa - shame about the ParkRun, but it sounded like it 'felt' good. Which is much better than disliking the run! And I'm envious cos I've got several weeks to go before I'm up to 20 miles. Oh well, this week will be more than last image

Chilibean

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I think I might opt for increasing my mileage rather than starting quality work. Hoping someone with more experience will pop along soon to definitely make up my mind. Next year's target will be to get my 5k time under 25mins but I have a whole year to reach that.

What kind of mileage are you up to now Chilibean? I think we just need to be patient and keep plugging away. As long as you enjoy your running, I think that's the main think to start off with.

How long have you been running Soup Dragon?

• mikasa - I've been running for 5 years, so not a beginner but I'm getting slower.  My pbs were all in 2008 and even then I wasn't fast!  But I do have lots of endurance which is just as well because it takes me ages to finish a race.  My half ironman earlier this year took me 7hrs 46mins.image   I can't believe I was "on the go" for that length of time!  So I really need to work on speed now.   Next quality session planned for tomorrow.  image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Wow, you've done half ironman! Well done! I have no idea if that's a slow time but you did it!!!!
  • mikasa - its a slow time.  I was next to last.  Cut-off time was 8 hours. image  But yes, I did it and loved it. Anyone can do it with the right training.  Honest. 
  • Half ironman! Fantastic. Wow!

I've only been running since January. I started because my daughter wanted to run and I couldn't send her out on her own. Then I found I really enjoyed it image. I don't find it easy to fit in around four little girls though ranging from 3-8. And, like this evening, they often come out with me. Daughter no.3 (one of my 7yr old twins) came with me. We have fun and run slowly interspered with sprints. So I class that as part of my quality work. She ran with me for 17mins and then I dropped her back at the front door before heading out again to finish my session.

My present 5k pb is 29:15 but that is alongside with my 8yr old. I've never done a timed run on my own, but I reckon I could go a bit faster. It would be a dream to get it under 25 mins.

However, because I also like a bit a cycling and swimming, I am also aiming to do a short duathlon in March and then hopefully a sprint tri later in the spring. That's if I can fit the training in. I do believe you Soup Dragon, I think what we can actually achieve if we put in the time and training far exceeds our own expectations.

Ummm, having said all that, my milage last week was only about 11 miles image But it will be more this week. I just can't afford to be injured so try to be patient and build up slowly.

Chilibean

• Speed session done - in the dark cold fog. image  1 mile jog, 1 mile strides, 4 x 400m reps 200m recovery jog, 1 mile cool down. 

I'm finding it difficult to judge the pace on the reps.  At first I went so fast I couldn't keep it going for 400m so the next rep I slowed down but it felt too easy.  By the third I think I got it just about right according to the pace calucator thingie but went too fast again on the fourth and had to slow down to make it to 400m gasping.  I suppose its just learning what feels right.  I remember when I first started running I only had one pace and couldn't understand about tempo runs or slow jogs so I suppose its a similar thing. 

Chilibean - patience is key.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I was supposed to go for a run last night but an overrun meeting got me in a bad mood and had to do the weekly food shop as well. Wish I'd had time to go because my mood didn't really improve.

I was going to keep to 20 miles this week but now I'd had to anyway. Runs planned for tonight before friend comes over,Thursday, Saturday and Sunday before my matches. Not ideal but I'm not going to run 4 times in a row and then having to do the matches on Sunday. Been walking to work this week instead of cycling though today as I was running late I took the car. Very bad and lazy.

• Mikasa - sounds like you are having a rough week! image Commiserations.

Mine was going pretty well, until I hurt my back yesterday. It's not really bad, but I can't run. This is a recurrent problem and have booked an appointment with a really nice physio tomorrow morning. Am hoping he can help fix it without it costing too much!

Soup Dragon - since you are also browsing the Tri Forum, does that mean that you are considering another half IM or maybe joining the Pirates for a full? There are some seriously nutty people on that site!image

Chilibean

• Mikasa - its rotten when life gets in the way of running.  But one shorter week won't do you any harm I'm sure.

Chilibean - fraid I'm already "half" a pirate, got the kit and train with a few so there is little hope for me.  Ironman on my list for 2012.   Got a half IM planned for next year (or 2!) Pirating is a lot of fun.  Nutters yes, but very helpful encouraging nutters.  I couldn't have done half IM without them and the mentoring thing is great. image

• Soup Dragon - the training for a half ironman must be intense, don't think I could get myself to ride that far. I did look at a sprint in Cheshire but when I mentioned it to the wife, well let's just say it wasn't a positive response cost wise.

Mikasa - I know how you feel over missing a run, it happens to me loads. There always seems to be something else that needs doing.

Chilibean - you might want to rob a bank before your physio session but if he sorts the problem I suppose it will be worth it.

Went for my run After finishing work, 4 miles in 36:26, my mile times were 9:32, 8:53, 8:55 & 9:06. I was tempted to do 5 miles but don't want to push it to much as my shins are still feeling tender after each run.
  • Sybryne/Chilibean  - the problem with tri is that you can't (or I can't!) be an expert at all 3 disclipines.  So as this is a thread about running I won't promote it too much and have to say that I'm on here because my running went all to pot by not doing enough due the amount of swimming and biking I was doing.  And I'm loving running more too. image  Plus its a lot cheaper!  

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hi, thanks all for your encouragement. It's been a funny week. I think I'm still having the blues cos park run didn't go as expected. I think I'll just think of this week as bit of a 'recovery' week and start back in earnest next week.

However, I haven't quite decided how to go forward. On one hand I definitely want to up my mileage, on the other hand I'd quite like to do something a bit different on at least one of the runs (i'm not really getting bored though) even if that's just unstructured fartlek but I know it's not good to do both when you're building up. Decisions, decisions...

Tri interests me as well. Atm I've started reading Kittenkat's story of her journey to first IM.

Anyway, I did  go for a run yesterday. 4.6mi, 54minutes. Lot of stopping for traffic I'm afraid. I actually really,really  like running in the dark. image

• I didn't manage my run yesterday cos I went out for a meal instead as a last minute thing.  And free drinks at the end of the meal has left me with rather a hangover so getting out now is going to be a real challenge.  Worryingly, there is a post from me last night which I don't recall and I even edited it. I wonder what I put to start with? imageimage

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    image for not remembering posting on here. I think I won't go out tonight, I fancy doing things at home and I'll do just 3 runs this week, it won't be too bad. It is also peeing it down here...
  • mikasa - when KK's UK v USA thing starts you will get loads of miles in.  Its a brilliant motivator.  I can't wait. image
  • Oh, I laughed so much reading KK's account!

SD - mmm, that is quite amusing image

Nope, no runs for me either. feeling far too fragile. Went to see my physio and he found the offending muscles. Big ouch, but don't feel as stiff. Hope to run tomorrow. 

• Have you read Candy's thread that started the whole pirate thing?  I nearly died laughing at that too. In the beginning

Not been for a run tonight either.  Even had to drive to work, not fit to get on the bike.  Self inflicted unwellness.  Been on nothing stronger than tea this evening.   Rubbish lot aren't we!  Hope Moraghan isn't reading this, he will not be impressed! image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

You're right, we're being bit rubbish right now. But following some other threads,we aren't the only ones.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my run tonight. Might make it the 6miler and just take it slow.

• Well, my back is feeling much better and my physio said I could run so did a slow 6.5k. Was feeling quite good and was tempted to go farther but decided to stick to that.

Read some of Candy's thread too. They really are hillarious!

Happy running over the weekend!

Chilibean

• Friday is my track session with the bike club so no running today either.  But a hard fast 12 miles done on the bike which got my heart rate up a fair bit.  A run planned for tomorrow. Feeling better today. image

Well run chillibean.  Right not to push too far if you are still a bit injured. 

Have a good run mikasa.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Had a nice run though I think running in the dark has slowed me a fair bit. Before the clocks went back I was doing my 6.2mi route in 1:03:00 and since then it;s taken me anywhere up from 1:10:00 yesterday being slowest at 1:15:00; yesterday i did stop to give directions and then one bit was so muddy and dark I was going quite gingerly. Sounds really slow though, but I don't feel slow. Don't know.

Today I woke up with my back bad so haven't been able to go for a run. Have two matches tomorrow but have to see how I feel,might not be able to participate. image Fingers crossed though.

• Hope your back is okay mikasa.  I've done a 6.2 mile run today.  I felt I was nipping along quite nicely till I checked my watch.  1hr 17mins. So slow as usual. But I enjoyed it and thats the main thing and I'm not tired either.  image
  • Not done very well myself this week, just got back from my run before my wife goes out on the town leaving me on baby sitting duty. I did 5.5 miles in 51:47 my mile times were 9:49, 9:03, 9:10, 9:32, 9:32 & 4:41 for the 1/2. I would have liked to have gone further but hoping to do another run tomorrow if my legs feel ok.

Mikasa hope your better for your matches.
  • Bad week training wise need to pull my socks up. Back to the gym tomorrow, haven't been for a while in fact I've struggled since I started these shifts a year ago.
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Well, I hope we all have a better week this week.                                                                                                My back got good enough to play though it still wan't 100%. We won one, lost one. This week, I'm going to increase my mileage by 10%. Read somewhere that you should add 5% to your long run, and 2.5% on two other,does that sound correct?

That's how I've started to feel too Soup Dragon. Think I'm doing really well and please at going so swiftly, then I get back home and I've managed yet another slowest time image. It really seems like if I think/feel I'm going 'fast' I'm most certainly going the slowest. Go figure that one out.

Sibyrne  -  I think I'd really struggle doing anything with shifts like yours.

Not going for a run today, but have planned my 4 sessions for this week and keeping to them. Last week I ended up clocking measly 10.8miles...image