Training For The 'Right' Distance

Comments

• Great news from both of you.

Am really chuffed cos I managed 18 miles this week. Hope I reach the 20mile goal in this coming week before the Christmas holiday start. Guess I shall then start looking at the 'quality'. image

SoupDragon - I've entered an all-nations something in windsor at the beginning of May. Then Eastnor at the beginning of July. I can easily do all the Sprint distances, just need to put them together. Will need to train more for the classic. Main problem is that my bike is a 3 gear town bike! Not sure that will get me round.

• Chilibean - you might struggle at Eastnor on a town bike because I think the course has a BIG hill.  I don't know the all nations thing but will take a look.    Well done on hitting 18 miles.

• I think I need a few more weeks of 20 miles before I start increasing speed or distance...... Or doing anything other than just being grateful I got round ! Lol
  • After two days of not running I was really quite antsy to get out there this evening. My No.3 girl (one of the 7yr twins) came with me for the first part so we did some hill sprints. In fact we covered our usual ground a whole minute faster than normal! I think I need to assistance of others to push me to go faster than my usual steady 10min miles. I tend to be a 'conserver of energy' with the goal of completing the distance in relative ease rather than pushing myself to increase speed.

So have done 5 miles this eve and hope to run again next on Thursday. 

• Everyone seems to be doing well with the mileage!! Didn't do any running after last Wednesday so not many miles covered.

I did 4 mile in 35:18 on monday to start my week and to see how my legs were. Everything went ok but it took me longer than normal to get my breathing under control but I've got a cold so I put it down to that. I'll run again tomorrow night aiming for 5-6 miles, happy running everyone.
  • Evening all.  5 miles home from work tonight and back to 12:30min/miles plodding.  I must be more patient, I'm sure speed takes time.  Another 5 miles tomorrow on the schedule. 

Look after that cold sibyrne. 

chillibean - I'm another that needs a "push" to move a bit faster/harder.  Well done.  I think some easy runs are still important though to stop injury/burnout.  Thats my excuse anyway! 

I've just put my bid in for "snubbed six" competition.  I got longlisted for the asics one but got no further than Birmingham.  Well, you can only try and something like that will help to kick me out of the door when its cold so fingers crossed.  But thank goodness there is no vote, just a straight selection.  image

• Cheers soup dragon, what's the asics six? I think I had a quick look at a thread asking for peoples votes or something but didn't read to much of it.

5.5 miles tonight in 48:24, my breathing was no problem tonight. The weather is milder today so maybe that helped. Next run planned for Friday but will decide the mileage nearer the day
  • Freezing rain and high winds - I whimped out image
  • 5 miles in the snow today.  Better than I expected and not slippy at all being fresh.  I loved passing people at the bus stop looking cold and miserable as I was warm and happy.  Best commute from work ever. image

Anyone signing up for this?  UK v USA challenge  I can recommend it. A lot of fun.

• Well, 13 miles so far this week with another 3 planned for tomorrow and 10-12 planned for Sunday...... But I think the long one will be very weather dependent, I don't fancy being on a hilltop in freezing winds and heavy snow.... I really miss the warmer weather !

Read through the opening post on this thread again and realised for a half marathon I should be running 40 miles per week... Gives me something to aim for... I just know with Christmas and a few work commitments the next few weeks aren't going to be easy to fit it all in......
  • Decided to do my long run yesterday because of the snow forecast! I did 7 miles in 67:09, really pleased with the distance. I did a 7 miler earlier in the year before my injury which was a little faster but I stopped to walk 3 times so even though I was a little slower yesterday I managed to run the whole distance. The snow held off until I made it home, I was stretching in the garden when the first flakes fell. That's 16.5 miles so far this week, fingers crossed I'll do the 3.5 mile on Sunday.

Soup Dragon, I was thinking about signing up to the UK vs US challenge but wasn't sure what to do with only aiming for 20 mile weeks. I wouldn't want to drag the team down.
  • sibryne - you won't drag the team down.  Its about getting motivation to run and having a bit of fun.  I ran about 90  miles in the month last year and was nowhere near at the bottom end.  You just need to be logging miles regularly.  Get signed up! image
  • Well, we got our last ParkRun in this morning just in time. It was my daughter's 10th and so she now gets her T-shirt and that was her aim for Christmas image Am very proud of her. But in the past four hours we have had 3 inches of snow! With the freezing temperatures forecast I reckon running is going to be pretty difficult. 20 miles a week will remain a nice dream...
  • Snowed in here.   I'm googling gyms where I can get a short membership option for a dreadmill. Don't mind running in a bit of snow but this something else! image
  • My hubby got a tiny fold up exercise bike last week from free-cycle and I have one of those little trampets, so I reckon it's going to be those and exercise videos for the next week. Not a happy thought but will have to do something or go nuts.

SD just had a look at the UK v US. Does look fun. Will think about it. Like the others I'm afraid of not doing enough! Especially with the the weather that has now hit us.

• I enjoyed running in the snow last year and it's not deep enough here to stop me going out yet! We don't seem to get bad snow here in widnes, last jan and now have been the worst I've seen since I was a child.

I'll get myself signed up to the challenge it will give me something to aim for in the new year.
  • For anyone who is worried about not logging enough miles for the challenge this is last year's database so you can see what kind of distances were being covered.  Most of us did more than we normally would.  The problem was not low mileage runners, but those who signed up then didn't log anything for 3 weeks.   Regular runners welcome, its not elitist so no excuses.  Just do it, I tell you. image

Stopped snowing here so I might venture out for a bit of a plod before it freezes.  I don't mind fresh snow.

• Well this week I have managed a total of 26.25 miles.... Including a 10.74 mile cross country in the snow today.. I didn't see many other people out and about ! In some place the only other footprints I saw were the rabbits...

With christmas and the new year coming up I know I will find it hard to keep the mileage up... Looks like I will have to make a determined effort in the new year to get back in to it... There wont be many weeks then until the half marathon on 6th March
  • Wow! Lisa, that is fantastic.

After such a great week last week, this one has been terrible. Not sure how you managed to run in the snow. I tried this afternoon and gave up after 200m. Was slipping all over the place and jarred my back. Decided I wasn't safe so came back home. image

• Well done for trying to run Chilibean.  I managed 3.5 miles in the fresh snow yesterday but today I had to resort to a treadmill and 3 miles was enough rather than the 8 I'd planned.  So only 17 miles this week for me.  Fingers crossed it will thaw soon.

Well done Lisa.   Yep, Christmas is going to be a challenge.  I'm thinking of a parkrun on Christmas morning though (weather permitting).

• I found my trail shoes really good.... The snow was certainly easier than the mud the week before!

It is now raining here but with heavy snow forecast could make it really treacherous....

Today is a rest day so I guess I will just have to wait and see what we wake up to tomorrow !
  • Yesterday i did 3.5 miles in 34:47 so that was my first 20 mile week. Hmm not sure what to do now, I asked my wife to enter me into the Liverpool half marathon on the 27th march as a Christmas present ages ago. So if she has then I suppose I should push on slowly, maybe aim for 28 miles and see how I get on. I think it will take me until march to hit a 40 mile week, doubling what I've just done seems impossible!
  • Went out for a 5-5.5 mile run on a new route on the outskirts of town but it didn't go according to plan because I ended up getting a bit lost and i'd ran 7.5 miles when i eventually made it home. It was tough going at first, tougher than I remember running on the snow last January but I felt great by the end of it and think I could have done a few more miles if I'd wanted to.
  • 4.5 miles in 46:16, would have liked to have done more but I was short on time!
  • Good going sibryne.  Boring treadmill work this week for me - just 10 miles total so far this week.  3 miles planned tomorrow though and 7 for Boxing Day so still hitting 20 per week which feels okay now.

Anyway, what I really popped in for was to wish everyone a very happy Christmas and a safe running New Year.

• Well, you are both doing much better than me. Nothing this week. The ice is far too dangerous.

But a Happy Christmas to everyone!

Chilibean

• Managed 3 runs this week and did about 20.2 miles. I ran to the in-laws for my boxing day dinner today, 8.15 miles in 77 mins. Hoping to increase the distance to 22 miles next week in prep for the Liverpool half.
  • 7 miles for me today taking my total this week to 20 miles.  I needed a bit of a snooze but my legs are okay.  5 days consecutive running means rest day for me tomorrow. 

20 miles feels okay now. image

• That is really great going - over Christmas too!

Am sulking and pouting cos I haven't managed a run for a week now. The ice is lethal! A friend fell over yesterday and tore some tendons in her ankle. My hubby fell over this afternoon and has bruised his hip. I've picked my kids up off the pavement so many times. And that is all walking - just dare not go running.

Am going rather crazy stuck inside the house. But tomorrow we are driving to visit my rich uncle and swim in his indoor pool. Am meeting my mother there and going to try her diving wetsuits to see if they will work for a tri. 

Haven't signed up for the US v UK cos at this rate I'm not going to be able to do anything!

Chilibean

• Most of the snow and ice has gone now but there's still the odd patch lingering here and there. I didn't run yesterday to give my legs a rest after my run on boxing day and the ice looked more slippy because of the big thaw. Just been out for a quick 4 miles in 33:37 which I think is my fastest 4 miles yet which is encouraging as I want to go sub 40min in a 5 mile road race I do on Easter Sunday.