Prague Marathon 2011

Well, after being rejected again for the 2011 VLM I've been scouring the internet for an alternative and decided on Prague. Has anyone else done this before? Looks like a great city and well organised race. I was tempted to do Stockholm again, but the 90 Euro entry fee made me look elsewhere.

Look forward to hearing from you all - hope the running is going well.

Comments

• Haven't done it...but tempted. Spent 5 days in Prague at Christmas & it's such a great place I'd love to go back & do the marathon.

I'd quite like to team up with some others though, to travel with, not to run it with. image

• im looking to do my first marathon next year and love the city of prague have just started my training 28 weeks to go!

• I did it this year.   Prague is a great place for a weekend but I'm sorry to have to say that the marathon was a huge let down.   Once out of the 'old town' area you could been running through the back streets of anywhere..   there was nothing Czech about it..   You could easily be in Birmingham, Manchester or anywhere and you'd never know...   the route was such a disappointment. 

Its not a big city marathon, but was very well organised and I did enjoy the weekend away.   However, I wouldn't do the marathon again.

• Was it that bad DV? surely a lot of city marathons are a bit like this? I'm thinking of this as it fits with my work schedule. Just done Dublin and need a new focus otherwise inherent laziness takes over!

Where are you travelling from Bright Bimbler? I'm in SW and prob travel on my own. I was a VLM rejectee too but did it this year so I don't feel too bad about it!

• Im thinking of doing this as well. First time rejection from VLM so looking at another race. The only downside could be the temperature at that time of year. Ive heard its been hot the last couple of years. Cheap flights from bristol and first time in prague could sway it for me.

• Well that's me signed up - looking at flights and hotel. Going from Bristol myself - looks like it will have to be go Friday home Monday.
  • I'm in too. Looks like a Friday to Monday trip as well for me, and flying with Easyjet. Looking forward to it arleady, even got a March 1/2 marathon booked (Marlow; Water of Life).

Just hope the shin splints don't surface again and ruin the training...

• The Prague Marathon will be my first. Am leaving from Heathrow on Saturday and returning on Monday. Doing my first half marathon in Bath in March. This snow has hampered my training though. Also haven't smoked in 4 weeks but evertime I jog past a smoker, am tempted to ask for a drag.

My long run is up to 7.5 miles but I am very slow. How's everyone else's preparation?

Am quite excited 

• Just really ticking over after Dublin - keeping a solid base before really getting into it in the New Year. Have done a few faster runs just to test 10 mile in under 1:20 which I hope will be MP.

Well done on the non smoking - I gave up a long time ago but I can still remember how tough it is.

• Prague is in my mind, however I am a bit concerned about the cobbles. Has anyone ran it in the past. I seem to remember this was a big problem when I spoke to other runners. All a bit of shame about Edinburgh closing early, I don't fancy Madrid or Hamburg but maybe Hanover. It is on the same date as Prague 08.05.11 & 48 euros v 80 euros.
  • Yay image I'm training for the Prague Marathon this year too image My first ever marathon.  Also flying from Bristol like a lot of us on here.

I'm excited / nervous!! How is everyone's training going?

• Am thinking of entering and am starting to look for a hotel. Does anyone know anything about the tram or metro service on a Sunday if I went for something a few stops from the start ?
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Boing! Hope everyones training is going well Xcountry race for me on Sunday and one more 20+ miler probably Wednesday then it will be time to ease off. Lost a week or so to a twisted ankle so might have to revise target time down to 3:45
  • I'm up for Prague as my first marathon, have done 6 halfs with a PB of 1:49:33 in March

Now less than 4 weeks to go.

Saturday's 20mile was 2:58, hoping for sub 4 on the day which looks likely but not guaranteed.

Expecting some food problems (as a wheat intolerant vegan in a foreign country!) but will take a whole box of Clif bars to be on the safe side.

• Rich M

I'm banking on a good Metro service, am staying a couple of stops from the old square - although I guess I could use the couple of miles as a warm up! I think we get free Metro travel by showing our race numbers on the day.

All

Does anyone know if we'll get posted an entrant pack before the race? The pre-race comms has been sparse, aside from trying to encourage me to enter the half marathon and the Belgrade Mara. I assume we'll pick numbers up at the expo on Saturday

My training got a bit messed up with flu (proper flu!), so missed almost two weeks. My planned 3 week taper is going to be reduced to 2, with a 20+mile run this Sunday morning. Still hope to be near the 4hr mark on the day.

Hope everyone's doing well - good luck for the last 2.5 weeks, hope the injuries stay away!

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

As far as I could gather from previous threads there is no entrant pack - just take a print of email confirmation. Yes free travel with number on the day - although I am right near the old square. Seems to be getting warmer over there - lets hope for a cold(ish) snap!

Hope the 20miler goes ok Alex and everyone else is primed and ready!

Now I have to come home Sunday which is a pain - not looking forward too much to that evening flight.

• There's a 5k event on the saturday, starts at or near the expo where we pick numbers up. My other half is going to run this I think (7 Euro entry inc t-shirt, can't be bad) while I watch our youngster.

yes we get free travel but I'm also walking distance from the start I think.

• I live in Prague and have done this marathon for the previous 2 years. Am also set for a week on Sunday. Thought I'd share my experiences with you.

You get everything you need from the Marathon Expo on Thursday - Saturday before the race. Just present your e-mail with your start number and some form of photo ID and they'll sort you out. No problems with English either the Czechs are pretty hot on foreign languages.

The route is all along the river valley so very flat. There are small sections of cobblestones but never more than 100m at a time and overall I'd say about 2% of the entire route is cobbled. There are sections in the Old Town and Castle District and this year for the first ttime in ages the route goes over Charles Bridge again. Otherwise its mostly on concrete roads up and down the riverbanks. The hardest and darkest (literally) part of the course is around 40km when you go through an underpass and then have to climb back up its exit ramp. However its so close to the end you can always walk it and prepare yourself for the final sprint home.

The last 2 years have been hot (20 degrees +) which makes for a difficult run. The race is well organised in terms of water stations so you shouldn't overheat if you take on board fluids at each stop.

This is not a big city marathon like London so once out of the centre the crowds will thin out both runners and spectators. You will have "time to yourself" so to speak. However the final 800m straight up into the Old Town Square  is pretty awesome as end points to a marathon goes.

Hope that helps you all. Good luck and don't be tempted by the Staropramen brewery that you run past at 25km. Save it for a well deserved cold one at the end. 

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

Cheers for that Ben. How thin do the crowds etc get out of the centre? Might have to take the mp3 with me, don't normally race with it.
    Is there a bit of a breeze if it's mostly on the riverbanks? Hoping it's not too hot but that's out of my control so not worrying too much about it!!

Starting to get a little twitchy now - not long to go!

• You're never alone Jeremy but there are stages where its pretty thin most specifically the long straight drag from the final bridge crossing to around the 40km stretch.

I would definintely take the music player along to help out.

Never been too much wind on all my countless training runs up and down the river. Never say never of course. The heat can be a real problem though so fingers crossed for cool and overcast.

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

A bit long range but weather looks ok

Ben perhaps you could help me - I'm staying at  Antik Hotel, Dlouha 22, Praha 1 - on google it looks to me only 1.5-2 Km from there to the expo so I was planning a relaxed stroll there and back on Saturday(got all day). Is the distance about right or am I way off? Plan to walk to the start on Sunday - looking forward to it now (and also not!!)

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    easy walk to the start from there and you're about right on the 2km walk to the expo.
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Thanks skotty - I'm all set then - just a couple of easy runs this week and then a bit longer on Sunday. Stayed of the booze for 4 weeks now so that beer after is going to be fantastic!
  • Ideal hotel for the start / finish area. Bit of a trek up to the Expo and not through the nicest parts of town either. Would suggest taking public transport to and from the expo and saving your Saturday walk for the nice parts of town - Old town // Charles Bridge // Malostrana
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Benjamin Riley 2 wrote (see)
    Ideal hotel for the start / finish area. Bit of a trek up to the Expo and not through the nicest parts of town either. Would suggest taking public transport to and from the expo and saving your Saturday walk for the nice parts of town - Old town // Charles Bridge // Malostrana

i'd agree with that.

it is possible to walk but not a nice route so better to take the tram a few stops and you can clock up a few leisurely km doing some sightseeing later.  

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone got there target times - a good race but boy that stretch 21-25 miles (ish) is a bit of a beast - long and lonely. Was feeling ok so passed a lot of people but for a last stretch it needs a certain mental toughness I think!
  • Good fun as always!! Cramped up a bit from 35 - 38km but pulled through and got a PB by 22minutes so that can't be bad. Of course this morning I'd struggle to walk 42m let along run 42km. From hero to zero in one fell swoop.

Well done to all who did this - see you again next year?!!

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Good PB there Ben! I only managed a PB by 12 minutes but am happy with that. Could have been a little faster but wasn't sure how I'd cope with the warmer weather. Those sponges were really good, I can't drink from a cup and run but it was much better not having to worry about tripping on bottles - had my own drinks bottle so just tipped cupfuls in.
    Was going to follow the 3:30 pacer but they went of like a rocket so stuck to the plan and got under the 3:30 anyway.
    A great race and a really good mix of nationalities - if I do it again a few days to explore will have to be included.
  • anyone doing it again?
  • Just stumbled on this board. Yes - going to go this year 2012. Sounds spectacular!