Monday 11th October 2010

...for an unfamiliar song.

Thanks NZC and Alehouse - yes I'm utterly and completely over the moon image And yes there was a bit of celebrating done!

Sorry I've been MIA for a while. I'm no fun to be around when tapering. But yesterday was race day so its all over. Here is the race report (also on the 2010 marathon thread)

Ok here goes. Masterton Marathon 2010.

Early start - up at 4.45am to eat them down to the start line. Very low key - 9 competitors off at the early (6am) start. Another 50ish of us at the 7am start.

I went off to plan, 4.37 per km, aiming at 3.15. One woman went off very fast, another three were ahead for the first km then I caught them back up and we ran as a group for maybe 7-8km. One by one they dropped off until there was just me and one guy running together. There were hills at 10km and 15km, which I negotiated pretty comfortably and at about 15km I noticed the fast woman in the distance. Sure enough she was steadily slowing, maybe 70-80 seconds ahead. I stayed on plan, feeling good and went through half way in 1.37.44, now only 30 seconds behind the lead lady.

Over the next 5km I reeled her in, getting to within 10 seconds of her. Then someone told her I was behind and she speeded up again. I carried on running pretty well to 32km or so, including the first of the two hills again, then started to tighten up. Nothing major, just tiring and finding it harder going. From 32km onwards I was pushing as hard as I could but just not quite able to stay on pace. The second hill was a killer. Anyway - I gritted my teeth, put faith in my training, and pushed on. I never quite caught the other lady again - she finished about 65 seconds in front of me. Final time 3.18.31. 2nd lady, 28 minute PB, Wellington Marathon Champion (turns out the lady who beat me was from out of town!)

5k splits for those interested in such things:
23.10 / 23.13 / 23.12 / 23.01 / 23.02 / 23.06 / 23.59 / 24.49. Then 10.54 for the last 2.2km. Slowing but not disastrous.

Today I'm mildly sore and very happy.

Comments

• Morning peeps.

M; That is a Brilliant Race and Report. Wow, Well Done on the time massive new pb and 2nd ladyimageimageimage

What: 4.5M Fartlek. Hard

Why: Good conditions for it. Dry, mwith no wind.

catch up time.

Lyrics: Not sure.

Congrats again M.

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all

very windy here today.

Great stuff M.  Wellington champ, 2nd lady, huge PB. Blimey.  Can I have some of whatever it is you've got!!

What: 6 miles easier than  yesterday
    Why: why not
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 6 April

byeee

• Fantastic M - well done! No wonder you were celebrating.

NZC - you'll find it on the day.

Nice riding Gobi.

Yesterday's lyrics - Big Mouth Strikes Again by The Smiths.

What:              something easy - bike/short run?
    Why:                getting bored waiting for my legs to come back.
    Last hard:      3/10.
    Last rest:       6/10.

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Fantastic result, Mimageimageimage

Here's a whole row of smileys for you:

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Not much to report from me other than a 40mile bike ride in beautiful autumn sunshine yesterday. Now I've got a mild sunburn ...

• Hi all

M - fantastic result. Congratulations image

What - 60 min easy

Why - recovering

Lyric - no

Have a good day everyone image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice running M :¬)

What: run AM d&d
    run lunchtime
    Intervals PM
    Gym PM
    Why: Did enough on the bike yesterday
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: ??????
    Lyrics: No
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Wow M amazing marathon!  Well done.

Stickless: You should try ParkRun, the Cambridge one is really well organised and everyone was very friendly when I went image

This weekend was a bit of a disaster.  I was going to do the Mud and Mayhem 10 km in Swinley (bracknell) forest.  I drove there for 9.30 (registration was at 10).  I just couldn't find where to register.  I ran in the direction of the registration for 25 mins and still hadn't reached it.  I decided that they didn't deserve my £15 entry fee for such a badly organised race, and so ended up going for a nice little run around the forest on my own!

Then got back home and mowed the lawn (the previous occupants had clearly not mowed it for at least a year!) and weeded the flower bed round the house (filled an entire black bag!).  Today I am quite stiff!

Today hopefully I'll make the gym after work, though as I'm now walking over an hour a day plus a train for 2 hours a day I'm quite knackered by the time I get back!

Hope everyone has a good day and enjoys the sunshine.

• MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

FANTASTIC result M!!! Congratulations!! imageimageimageimageimage 

Posting from work so just nipped in quickly - back later!

• M. - fantastic effort - good on you!! It's about being brave and you are!!

emzap - what a pain! I agree with you, they don't deserve your entry fee if you can't even find where to register - even orienteering events have signage to the registration point!

What: 50 minutes with Mae on the grass.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

m nice report an very well done!

emzap, like it!

what: 3 miles this morning

why: i had pizza last night image

last hard: sat

last easy: yesterday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • In an unusually sensible move I only ran 4.5 miles this morning instead of the 6 I sort of had planned. Legs are getting better but definitely still struggling.

Gobi - I'm doing my first ever (and very baby) duathlon on Sunday (4k/16k/2k) any novice tips?

emzap - sounds like the right decision. Watch that domestic activity though - it's a recipe for injury image

• Afternoon all.

M - yippeeeeee! Terrific.

emzap - how frustrtating, but still a nice place for a run on your own, I should think.

NZC - sounds good - I reckon you'll find the 10k when you need to.

Me? Yesterday didn't happen. It was obvious I was fit for not a lot, did a small amount of tidying in the garden, took myself to bed after lunch, attempted to get up in the late afternoon, regretted it, returned to bed, getting up only for supper. In spite of spending half the day in bed, slept soundly all night. It would seem I needed that.

So the penitential miles were deferred to this morning. But getting up required hand-holds to get vertical, all thoughts of a serious run had vanished by the time I had negotiated the stairs. It was only a spirit of contrariness that drove me to attempt trainers and head out the door at a gait rather slower than a walk, and set off for the fen. Stretching was gloomy, toes nowhere within reach, quadrilaterals threatening. Decided to invoke the one mile rule and return home, but thought to intersperse 10 paces easy 10 hard, to see if I could wake up my feet on the way home.

It worked!! Feet began sniffing the pavement, taking an interest in life. The slow steps began to feel unnecessary, the quick ones exhilirating. Got up to 60 fast, 60 slow before I reached home. Much of the miserable demoralising stiffness shifted, stretching again possible and not dangerous, the mind once again freed from the straitjacket of despair.

Altogether 2 miles, but 2 more than zero, and for a magnificent return on the investment of willpower.

I do love running.

I have booked a session the the KoP to deal with the shrunken psoas.

Thanks for the steer to the runs in the park. I had heard of those but forgotten. I shall try to get to the one at Milton park soon. Good thought.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    stickless, have said it before but I do love your posts
  • M - Way to go Lady!!!!!!!!!!!

Poetic as usual Stick

Meself - i think a gentle 5 or 6 later will do for today.

Talk Later

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

M - Fantastic What a great performanceReally happy for you

emzap - Be careful Gardening is dangerous

What: Nowt
    Why: Rest, hills tomorrow
    Last Hard: Yesterday
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    going for a second run later, cant wait, followed by steam and sauna image
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LMH - Run the first run hard your body can cope, be smooth in transition.

Have fun
  • Hi again

EMZAP - shame about the race - hope the gardening pains go soon. I am a banned from gardening by Mrs Hound - too many innocent plants dug up by accident ...... image

Wabo - 2 runs = nice going .

Paddy - how is taper going?

I changed my workout from todays earlier post image  - I just felt great and decided to do tomorrows intervals today instead!

What - 6 x 1000 at 5k pace (rest 1 min)

Why - sharpening up aerobic power for target HM race

..... and it went well - good legs all the way. If only every day was like that   image

• Out hard and hold on it is then Gobi - assuming my legs have returned by then!
  • MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Evening,

Catchy-uppy time!

Just got to read M's report properly... well done again! Only 65 secs behind first lady too, that's amazing.

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments re: tapering. LOL Paul, I'd like to throw 'I'm Going Slightly Mad' by Queen into the mix image

Hope you get your legs back soon LMUH. In the meantime, you're doing all you can.

Shame about your race Emzap, but glad you had a nice run anyway. Another previous victim of gardening injuries here - take it easy!

Nice intervals 41.

And nice run Stickless, lovely post as always.

NZC, I agree that you'll find it on the day. I think everyone feels a bit crappy at that stage... the long runs start to catch up with you and your body is crying out for the taper.

Of course, when you reach the bloody thing it drives you nuts. Yesterday's LSR was just 12 miles, and was ok but my body was definitely complaining. By the late evening I had a sore throat and was sniffly, and today I'm necking the Day Nurse and blaming the students (bloody fresher's flu!). It's only in the very early stages so fingers crossed it'll pass quickly instead of developing into a full-blown cold.

How are you getting on Paddy?

What: Rest and paranoia

Why: Taper

Last hard: Calming down when someone coughed in my presence

Last rest: Now

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    oh madame o i remember taper paranoia

did my second run and shaved about half a min off my hilly 4.5 run i keep doing, 41 hound cheers, it was good
    so
    4.5 miles in 44.40 with monster hill in first 1.5 miles
    I do believe I am getting back in a good zone, please let it stay!

• Just in for a nosey !

Good, its been busy today on here.

Read back now to catch up.

• M brilliant well run

emzap shame about the race

Stickless parkruns are really good def give it a go

Madame O try and keep sane(ish) another good choice of taper song

Wabo 2 runs in a day good stuff

No running for me today, after getting in from worklate last night took eldest back to Chester, getting home again about 0145 then up at 0545 for work. Not at work until 1430 on Tuesday so will get a run in after dropping kids at school