womens running network

I am doing a course in a couple of weeks at Liskeard - all day Saturday 5th July

the website is

www.womensrunningnetwork.co.uk

you can phone or e-mail direct, but just thought it would be nice to hear from anyone interested in joining a group or starting a group

Any ideas and suggestions would be really welcome - and any general chat about experiences of that first STEP OUT! and the help that was or wasn't there ...

eg.
Can I WALK before I RUN?
Can I WALK and RUN?

Ans: Anyone with a want to walk out in company is welcome, and if you want to pick up the pace, you can!

Ans: most definitely

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Pashka
    When I was at Potts on Sunday, saw a group of WRN, just went up and introduced myself. We had a nice chat and I'm going to keep in touch with Carol (the organiser) as I want to find out loads of things.

I will try and get to Launceston early so you can tell me all, cos you'll gallop off and leave me in the race!! I thought Manchester course was 5th July, perhaps there are 2 on same day?

My friend in Lancs. is ringing WRN this week, she's keen on becoming an organiser but can't make date of Manchester course, but will sort something out. She did Midnight Sun in 4.47.
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Amazing Amazing - it just sounds so Amazing !! (Midnight Sun)

btw - the Royal "WE" in the small writing - I was thinking of you SHADES!!

How far has the WRN spread?

or were they visiting Potts from down this way?

I imagine in my nice day dreams of gradually getting several small groups, going out along the cycle path - can always go down on the beach - over 2 miles when the tide is out!

the several small groups is cos of work hours and family commitments etc

I'm hoping to encourage a woman I know through work, finds it a long way to go back to her flat - (10 mins) Is at a desk all day, recently got a driving ban ... her new flat is 3 floors up, so that's a start

btw - don't be put off by stairs, thinking you're "unfit" - even fit folk climbing 40 stairs are going to feel their heart thumping like mad
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WRN group were North Staffs, (so local to Potts) website will show you where all the existing groups are.

I too want perhaps, 3 groups. Talk to your fellow runners, several friends of mine, who are experienced runners, have offered to come out occasionally with my groups, particularly on the long runs, they can also lead any faster runners. I am hoping I get at least a couple who want to train for marathon, will keep my own training up if nothing else.

I wish I was starting earlier, but it's not possible, because of my working hours I will soon hit dark evenings, so am intending to start immediately after my course, have already pinpointed potential venues and will approach them in July.
  • The website shows nothing in or around Manchester. Is this true?

• paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    LynnW - it would be worth phoning and speaking to Pauline direct - were you interested in being an organiser?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LynneW -I think Preston is the nearest at the moment, (but I need to check website to confirm). There is an organiser's course being held in Manchester on 5th July, so should be one (or maybe even several) near you very soon.

Are you intersted in running with a group or becoming an organiser?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry paskha - I thought you had to get off your PC, was just covering for you!!
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    no worries Shades, we make a good team, ha ha
  • Definitely NOT an organiser - no time, and no inclination - but I would love to run with a group, and I have had a fair amount of experience in encouraging beginners, even training a colleague to a successful half-marathon debut - I was prouder for her than for running it myself!

• you sexist pigs!! shurely this is against some law or other
  • It's usual to put ;0) if you're joking Andy. And if you're not joking, go away!
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    LynnW - That's excellent, I've not had that pleasure yet! I hope I become a successful orgaiser, but I'm going to need support, your advice and experience would be invaluable in a group. I also happen to do self-employed work, so can be as flexible as I want

There's never been anyone to run with in the town I live in! the running club I belong to covers quite a large area and training nights are 8 miles away - you don't often see people out running ... but I'm sure there are many many who just need a nudge

I started on my own - but I had a running sister to help me! it didn't matter she lived nearly 300 miles away - it was fantastic when I visited as a "runner" - her club (26.2RRC - Surbiton, Surrey) are an extremely beginner-friendly club - despite the name!
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    hey andy - I wouldn't exclude men per se - seriously - if they were plodding - they could come along - that's something to think about - I don't know!
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    assuming they wont actually join the club!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LynneW - I have emailed Pauline at WRN re group in Manchester. She may not yet know where each potential organiser intends to start their group, but I will let you know as soon as I can.

I think you would make a great organiser, having trained up a mate already, but I can understand you just wanting to have a group to run with.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    paskha, we will have to check rules re men joining groups for training. They might just be on the pull!!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Do I assume from your reply to Andy Paskha that only plodders are welcome at the WRN?
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    not at all hilly - I may have inadvertantly implied that the groups are for slower runners - which isn't the case - but the average man does run 20% faster than the average woman

I would hope the groups are flexible - you know, responding to what we need, but the bottom line is having a network of female runners - and companionship

I only run on roads, but I would love to go along the coastal path, trails, but wont on my own
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think the average man is 11% faster, something to do with lung capacity, it must have been a man that told you 20%.

The WRN groups cater for all levels, they do track speed sessions in Exeter, and some very good runners I know join in with the WRN purely for the quality of those speed sessions. I'm going to have a go myself in July, I have never done a track session in my life.

Your're quite right paskha, it is all about having a network of female runners so each can fulfill whatever their goals are in running.

I've emailed Pauline tonight, told her to have a look at this thread, good if she could join us here.
  • Pashka if you catch this, who is the Surbiton contact. I live there and do belong to a club, ran with them once but then got injured. They must think Im never going back. But girlies in Surbs would be ace, as long as theyre slow.
  • Its ok I just googled it got details.
  • he he i can adjust my speed accordingly (probably need to speed up!)... just don't victimise me due to an accident of birth ;0)
  • Why can't men communicate their feelings? (As if I did not know....)
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    ChrisS - did you find 26.2RRC? or was it another club? there is a great person there who would be fantastic in WRN

btw - several possible interpretations of "girlies in Surbs would be ace, as long as theyre slow" - innuendo unintentional? - or were you taking the mick?

Hi TG!
  • Hi there!

I saw your poston the the other thread about beginners Pashka and checked outthe WRN website. Definitely interested in taking this furher, maybe starting a group round Guildford area. There isn't one locally (according to web).

Currently I run with around 4-6 women from work (at work), would love to extend this and encourage others to start. Plus, like you say there's some gorgeous countryside I'd love to run over, but little cuatious of going solo!

I rang the Earlsfield contact and was going to join them on Wednesday, but there were only about three or four of them so didn't go in the end. Keep meaning to ring Pauline but haven't got round to it yet.

So yes, tell me more!

BuffPuff

• Wish I'd known earlier actually as it's our R4L this weekend, probably could have recruited hundreds!! ;-)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Buffpuff - do ring Pauline, she will let you know if there are any other courses available (apart from those listed on the website). I will be attending the course in Exeter in September, know that's probably a bit far for you to travel.

Everybody I have met from the WRN is so helpful, encouraging and enthusiastic, it just motivates you so much.

The groups do vary in size etc, and that's a good thing, there is no pressure on an organiser to recruit 000's of people, just to have your group operating in a way that suits your time commitments etc.
  • annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    BuffPuff, are you doing the Guildford Race For Life? There are a couple of us doing it from the forums (see the thread on the Events Forum)