womens running network

2»

Comments

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    WRN just for plodders? - Don't think so!

They were the winning team at Dartmoor Discover (our local ultra) and I keep getting beaten by a lady called Louise in a WRN outfit! She overtook me at the end of the Plymouth Half, then at the Exmouth 10K she was miles (well a minute or so) ahead. Perhaps I'll catch her at Torbay on Sunday....
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you 95 minutes, although I am one of the plodders, but I was one of the Discovery team.

However, I predict that in the very near future the WRN will be collecting a lot of team prizes, the club is nationwide so we can go to any part of the country and make up a team (with runners you've never met before) and have a full team entered. Bit like the RRC does in marathons - but this only seems to happen for the men.
    Shades

'Plodding' the Discovery would be beyond me!

Planning to do a marathon next year - FLM if I get a place - otherwise something local. At the back of my mind I think I should do DD one year, but marathon first seems wise!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, at least one marathon first would be wise. However, there was a guy there who had never done a marathon before and he finished DD in just over 5 hours, which was really impressive, he said he had trained for DD though.
    Don't know when Dartmoor Vale (Newton Abbot) is next year, won't know until Oct/Nov, but there's plenty of spring marathons to get your teeth into if you don't get a place in FLM. Taunton would probably be the nearest. FLM is completely flat, ideally you'd need to do a hilly one as well.

Discovery is a fantastic race, my favourite, you must do it at some time.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    If there's any of WRN runners at Blackpool, please come over and say 'hello'. Will be meeting at the 4hr boards (then moving back in the field to my correct starting place).

Shades (Blackpool Race No 302)
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    SHADES - I phd Pauline this morning (09.30 1st time I've caught her there!)

My Course is Sat 12th July in Liskeard, not the 5th - have income now, can pay £35 course fee (all day) the Liskeard course has been put on for Carridon (spelling?) CC who are supporting Health & Fitness ... Pauline will be there

you were right - Manchester on the 5th - dunno where I got that date from!

you can buy vest, short slv & long slv kit - all 3 for £20 - if you've paid £12.50 for the vest, then you'll only have to pay £7.50 for the other two

have been offered more work - will email you
    Update from Torbay, more 'non-plodders' in evidence, beaten by at least 2 from the WRN!

As an outsider to the network, it is the inclusiveness that seems to be its strength. Lots of 'happy plodders', plenty of competent competetive runners and several sub-1.30 ladies! A good reflection of this forum in many ways...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Paskha

Good news about your extra work, that'll pay for a couple of more marathon trips. Blackpool was a nightmare, see thread.

Re WRN kit -That's good value for £20, the long sleeve are particularly smart.

Have you any idea when you will start your group? You may be able to get some runners from this thread. Any idea on venue?
    I met LynneW (see earlier message) yesterday at Blackpool, I am going to let her know re groups in Manchester.

95 mins - What was Torbay like, and the new course?
    What was Torbay like?

The hotest, most humid race I've ever done (by some margin!) & therefore very difficult for me. Probably a lesson well learnt - go for a slower target!

New course was far better than last year. Much safer (no traffic conflicts), the 2-way bits worked well & were well marshalled. A couple of hills (repeated twice) put some challenge into the course, but in normal conditions it is probably faster than GWR & Plymouth.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It's always hot for Torbay. I haven't done this race for years, not since I nearly got run over at the seafront when a BMW failed to stop for a policeman. The policeman never even took the reg. no. of the vehicle, I complained to the race organisers, and have refused to run this race again. Can't understand, why when we live in such a lovely part of the country it's always a crap course.

Should be on a different thread for this really.

When's your next race, want to know when maybe 3 WRN's will come flying past you!!
    Next will be the Duckponds 7K, plenty of opportunity for WRNs to beat me on this one as my legs really aren't fast enough for such a short race!