Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

Comments

• Not allowed to run on Christmas day either so will be out boxing day instead, hopefully on some clearer pavements.....
    Until then am officially in Christmas mode, and trying not to stress about my missed runs - mattys mum, good on you only missing one!
    Have a great Christmas all X
  • Went out for my first proper run in 4 weeks today, calf a little tight this evening, but no pain! Yipeeeimage Plan to venture out again on Boxing Day Morning for a little trot ... But very slow & steady.

Have had to downgrade my plan from 4:30 to 5:00hr ish "get me round," 'cos my dodgy Soleus just won't survive the training, but with a bit of luck & a following wind, I might just get on the start line something that was looking a bit unlikely a couple of weeks ago..image 

So folks, a cautionary tale.. Don't ignore any niggles. If it causes you pain and doesn't subside in a week, go see someone.. it isn't going to get any better if you keep running on it ....trust me. 

Happy Christmas all...Stay safe & upright while running! 

• Merry christmas everyone!  Managed to get out for a good few miles this morning on the icy pavements thanks to a christmas pressie of some yaktrax - awesome!

Now for the food....!

ps Helen - great you managed to get out for a run, take it easy though!

• Ohh yes, I got up and out of the house this morning for a run, bit icy and mega-cold but I did it.. I am so chuffed.

I've been having a few issues recently with motivation and have not really been enjoying some runs as much as I used to and just when I needed it my lill' girl comes along and buys me an incredible running book which I have been reading all day and has really helped get my confidence back. She is an angel

hope you all had a good christmas

• hey everyone

not been on for a while , good to see everyone is doing well image

have struggled the last couple of weeks with the weather and social functions ! only managed a couple of runs imageimage am glad I had a good november as base training . hope everyone has had a good couple of days of enjoying the festive season !

• Hi everyone

Hope you are all feeling full and content after Christmas and boxing day!

December has turned into a month of treadmill runs for me, but the thaw is eventually starting around here.

I'm going to use one of the runnersworld 16 week plans - they start tomorrow. Anyone else on a 16 weeker?

vds
  • vds - good luck with the start of your plan.  Am also on a 16 week plan, but started two weeks ago to have a bit of time in hand in case of injury/illness.  Hopefully you will be back running outside again soon.

With all the recent treadmill running I seemed to have developed a couple of niggles on my right knee and shin which has also coincided with some new trainers.  I'm not sure if its more likely to be due to the treadmill or the shoes? But its really annoying! (Has been less mileage than what I was doing before so don't think its due to increased intensity). hmmmm........

• MerryChristmas one & all!!!

Great to hear that lots of you have been out and about - I haven't been pounding the streets for a while -stayed on 'freddie the treaddie' but woke up to the BIG THAW so hopefully can get out in the next day or so - fantastic - I love my treadmill but have missed going out (my dog is going crazy as he normally comes out on the canal with me).

To gel or not to gel?? Matty's mum - definately try your new gels on a couple of long runs before the big day - and also try taking them at different mile markers. I'm with squeakz I have had stomache cramps due to gels/carbo drinks. I tend to stick with the lucozade gel as it is gentle on my tummy and tastes ok, but you can't beat jelly babies!!!

Little N - I find I run my slow runs faster on the treadmill as well as my recovery runs, so the niggles may well be due to increased intensity rather than anything else - fingers crossed!

Well lets hope that the snow disappears fast and we can all get stuck in to our training plans - happy training folks & Happy New Year.

• vds - I'm also on the RW 16 week plan, which started today. Slightly tweaked it as not been out for 3 weeks due to weather & man flu, but still targeting 3hr45min.

First run went well - lets hope all the others go the same.

Santa got me lots of new running gear so no excuses now!!!

• Little N - are the new shoes the same model as the old or a different type? Had you done much treadmill running before?

Personally I find the treadmill easier on my joints, but I know that some people find it unbalances their running style enough to cause unusual aches and niggles. But, could it just be that your body is telling you to slow down a bit?

cosmic - you are on a much quicker plan than me as I'm on the 4.30 with an aim for somewhere between 4 and 4:30. First week is a bit easy though compared to my basework so I might try and add a bit of speed work in.

Weather man agrees with you Jayne - looks like it will thaw all week, just in time for a weekend long run.

vds
  • hello everyone

i found out last week that i got a place with my running club, a couple of things i need help with, firstly i have neglected my running and can run around 6-7 miles where as few months ago i was doing 10, can i get the mieage thats needed to complete the course and secondly where can i find details about the diet that is gonna help me,

• Hey all,

Wanted to go for a long run on Christmas Day but have been laid off running for a week with this virus that seems to be going round everyone! Fingers crossed I have shaken off the worst of it now so went out tonight and "officially" started my 16 week plan. The only scupper to a good first week is I am going to Italy for New Year, right when I am due to do my long run. I can take my kit but my partners sister lives on a mountain which is apparently v unforgiving! I'm due to do 6/7 miles but won't be back till Monday, so don't want to do it then and mess up the rest of week 2. I think i'll take my kit out there and see, at the very least I can do some hill reps?!

Hope you are all well.

P.S I would advise investing in some YakTrax Pro's for future snow/ice we may get before April 17th. I got mine at the start of December just in case, and they have been a godsend. You still need to take care obviously but I had a lovely 6 mile run along the Thames path just over a week ago!
  • vds - no the shoes are a different brand, am thinking of ordering another pair of my old ones off the internet as back-up.  Would normally do one run a week on the treadmill for interval training and never more than 5 miles so the last couple of weeks have been a bit unusual in that sense. Hopefully things will sort themselves out this week when I get back outside.

I'm following the 4:30 plan too - first couple of weeks are fairly easy going which is nice.  I reckon make the most of it!

Sarnie congrats on the place, you have got plenty of time to get the milage up there, 6/7 miles is definitely a good enough base to start from.

Plod-Jones have a great trip to Italy and enjoy those hill/mountain reps!

• Foofighter - I'm also finding that I'm running much slower than I was a couple of months ago. 

Has anybody else noticed this? I wonder if there are any biologists on here who can give a scientific explanation for why we run slower in the cold weather? Perhaps our lungs cannot process cold air as efficiently or our muscles aren't warmed up to the same degree? Or maybe it's lust the 5 extra pounds I'm carrying after Christmas!!

Well done everyone for starting your training plans!!

• Hi all

Nice work on starting all your training plans and keeping going through Christmas!  I went on a run on Christmas morning and got really lost in some woods/meadows (was staying with friends, so not my normal patch!) but still felt good for getting out there!  I am due a run today and just working myself up to getting out there....

If your trainers are niggling you - can you get to see a podiatrist to check that it is your trainers and not your running style?  If you're anywhere near London I can recommend Norbert at Portland Physio/Foot Factor http://www.footfactor.com/ as he will give you a 30minute free session to assess your feet and stance etc.

Keep up the good work all! 

• Hi all,

Can i start by saying its ben fascinating reading this thread as i share so many of the experiences and its so good knowing that others think what im thinking!

Im doing my first Marathon in April and have upto starting my training 9 weeks ago not done any running at all! I do however play football so still have some sort of an active lifestyle! Over the past few years i really have forgotten about looking after myself and added a few extra stones that i shouldnt really have!

Anyway, i'm running for a charity called VICTA (Visually Impaired Children Taking Action) as i didnt get a place in the ballot. I have grown up with the marathon as it used to pass my bedroom window every year and every year i have said i will do it but never got round too it! This year is different!

Started with Couch to 5k training programme app 9 weeks ago and yesterday started my 16 week plan which i found on this site.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-basic-marathon-schedules-get-you-round/108.html

I have also entered the Adidas Half Marathon in March to really measure my own progress and to get a bit of race experience and am now really looking forward to it.

Im also keeping a blog so my friends and family can keep up with my antics http://www.dulz77.blogspot.com/

Happy Running all.

• Welcome Dulz77!  Blog is looking good - mine is http://josmithrunslondonmarathon2011.blogspot.com/

Back from my run, a lot slower than usual and difficult due to snow and ice still hanging around here in Kent.  I was tempted to run on the roads, but they are so busy here image 

Keep on getting out there people!! 

• Thanks Jo!

Yeah i know what you mean about the snow and ice, luckily with the heavy rainfall here last night a lot of it seems to have cleared up today. Hopefully the temp stays above minus degrees otherwise all the water will just freeze up again!

• Hey

Hope y`all had a good christmas.Welcome Dulz77

I`m just starting week 4 kind of a week ahead to cater for any viruses people are trying to give me! Mileage is lower than i would normally do but thats kl. Managed to brave the snow cos i am feeling really motivated still....not sure why??

squeakz.... the chocolate outrage GU gel was GOOD!!!!! It just tasted like a nice chocolatey truffle!!! nothing like a sickly lucozade gel which gives me stomach cramps. Maybe it was all in the mind cos i just thought it was chocolate! Gonna try out the caffeine one next!!!!!!!!!! I`ll imagine its a nice latte or something!

All the snow has gone here now.... so can get back to normal.

• Glad to hear the Gels suited you and did not give you cramps.

The Snow has melted round here as well so I can get back out there again. I never missed a day of my schedule thoughout the cold period which im very pleased about and even make it out for my scheduled run on Christmas day

• matty's mum - good news with the gels - did the chocolate make you feel thirsty afterwards??? I might have to try these as I am definately a chocoholic (cleared out 2 quality st tins to myself last week!!!!) .

Hip Hip Hooray - officially NO SNOW by me so got out a did a 6 mile road run today - the dog was chuffed as well!! I had forgotten what it's like to run hills and stuff. Hopefully I will get to do a long run outside on Sunday, I'm actually looking forward to it!!! Hope the rest of you have managed to get outside and enjoy the fresh air. 

I've signed up for a 7 miler in Feb so have a focus for my speed work and got a 1/2 marathon for the beginning of March, bit sad I won't be doing my usual half marathon in March, but it is at the end so doesn't fit in with my training schedule. Has anyone else scheduled in some races? - would love to hear what you've got planned.

Dulz77 - the adidas half is a good race - nice & flat so you should get a good time which is a great boost before the marathon.

finally, in a moment of madness I signed up for my usual 'didn't get into London' marathon, which is 3 weeks after London!!!! Well, you don't know what you are capable of unless you give it a go (I did 2 marathons in 5wks this year) !!!!

Wishing you all a peaceful, happy &  injury free New Year X

• Hi Jayne.... no i forgot to take a drink but thought i would have the chocolate anyway. it was fine.As i said it wasnt sickly just very chocolatey... Mmmmmmm

I am doin  Wokingham half in Feb and Reading half in March.. these are ones i have done before. And i plan to enter another half 3 weeks after London so i must be mad too! Thought it would stop me being lazy after or make me feel better if for some reason i dont run VLM!!! It goes right past my house so no excuse really!

Snows gone... great. Sore throat has arrived!!!!! I did however still manage a 4 mile today.. nothings gonna stop me!!!! not entirely looking forward to the long run at the weekend  if its not gone!!!!

Hope you all keep healthy

MM

• mmm I like the sound of those chocolate gels!

Matty's mum - i've also entered the wokingham half and the reading half.  Have done reading before but not the wokingham one.

Loving the fact the snow/ice has all gone, just about to head out for a 4 miler in the fresh air - woo!

• I've only got the Grim challenge at the end of January and nothing else till the big day image

Just got some new shoes as well so I can decide what im going to run in well before the time.

• It won't be my first London Marathon but thought I would stop by to say good luck to everyone who will be participating for the first time - the next few months might be tough (especially if the British winter continues in the same vein as it has started!) but having run it before I can tell you all that the atmosphere on the day and sense of achievement in finishing make it well worth it!
  • Matty's mum & Little N - I'm doing the Wokingham half too - never done it before but I grew up there so seemed a good one to go for (plus my nephew designs the medals!) image

Started the training plan - got outside for 3 miles yesterday and 4 today - hurray for the rain!! Like the sound of the chocolate gels too - might have to try those, right up my street!

Happy running!

• Jayne: Yep, that's exactly why i chose the Adidas Half! Didn't want to demotivate myself 5 weeks before the big one! Anyway, too be honest, time is not a major factor for me, just getting round it without walking would be a massive achievement! Likewise with the main event.

Chocolate gels, cant say ill be trying them! but i know i need to try some sort of gel to get used to before VLM, think ill give the Lucozade ones a try and see what happens!

Done another 30 minute run today and covered 3.8 miles. This is the first week ill be doing four runs in a week. im actually looking forward to the weekend with the long run on sunday!

Happy Running all!
  • Has anyone got any tips for washing my running shoes?

Running in all this snow etc has made them filthy.

Is it okay just to put them in the washing machine? Rinse Only? or with some powder? What temperature would be recomended?

Many Thanks

• Hi Cosmic
    A lot of people will tell you that putting running shoes in the machine will damage them. If you then ask for evidence supporting the claims made it never seems to appear.
    I have three pairs of shoes and wash one pair each and every week in the washer on a low temprature.
    I then stuff them with news paper and let them dry out naturally, im yet to have any noticable issues.

Search the web, youtube, you think there would be some pictures or evidence if they got damaged. I am unable to find any mention of it other than hearsay on forums

• Hellooo fellow runners! Hope Christmas has been good for you all and Santa brought you everything you wanted. image
    Started back running after getting over the flu image which knocked me back for a week and a half. Not all bad though, I got a shiny new Garmin Forerunner for Christmas which I took for a spin on boxing day, fantastic piece of equipment!
    Just got back from a 5 miler (43 minutes) and at certain points I was hitting 7 minute miles which I am most impressed with. image
    M-J, I think you have just helped me out with something- I did 7.2 miles boxing day which was quite hard, pushing 8 minute miles on longer runs maybe not the best idea this early on! image

Aimee