Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

Comments

• am struggling at the moment with ITB band causing pain in my left knee image only managed two 3 mile runs last week so am getting a bit concerned .

great idea about meeting up before at excel , how about meeting up after for a well deserved beer or two ?!

am planning lots of rowing on the rest days to build core strength , 4 runs  a week and two days rowing 10,000 metres each session .

• Mike get yourself a foam roller for your ITB issues and get in the habit of rolling twice a day, it can be a little uncomfortable at first but keep on with it and it will help you drastically. Physio's use them a lot.

http://physiosupplies.com/acatalog/Blue_Foam_Roller_15cm_x_45cm.html

document showing how to use the foam roller

• thanks mate , just ordered that now  image
  • first official training run tomorrow and still struggling with a bloomin cold! harrumph
  • Feeling that as well Nicola, I did a long run on the weekend and nearly died. I have such a bad cold at the moment image
  • M-AD - Yes I recon you could get away with it while shopping if you do it in Lycra & running shoes! image

Nik 40 - I'm with you on the 41/2 hr plod & having done a couple of halves & walked the distance twice in around 6 hours I too am a little concerned about the enormity of the task! The half you do in February might help, but pace yourself, it's a long way and you've got another 2 months to train for the other 13.5 miles!

I run alone aswell & I'm an ipod road runner too. I purchased 101 running songs off itunes, something for everyone, podrunner also does a good free podcast also on itunes.

Sqeaks - yep up for a pre/post meet up, great idea!image   

• Oh, Mike, re your ITB - Squeaks is right about the roller, but you might also try a Sports Physio if you need to get back running quickly - You can have it stripped, bloody painfull, but the improvement is dramatic - Take something to bite on!
  • Hi everyone

am doing the runners world training, all seems to be going ok but its early days, managed 9 on sunday, very slow but got there in the end, am starting back at the gym again on wednesday after work,

this is my first marathon but have done a couple half 2 years ago but since then i have just poddled along doing a few miles a week, to be honest this is the unfitest i have been since i started running

is anyone else finding it hard to find the time to run and train, am working 40 hours a week and studying as well, oh and have 2 teenage sons to look after, aswell as being a oldie (mid 40s).

• Hi guys, is it ok if i join this thread? This will be my first marathon as well, im doing it for Charity. Sarnie i think i am doing the same training programme as you, i did 9 miles on sunday, went much better than i thought but my right leg is aching a little. I managed 10.40min miles so was happy with that.

What time are all you lot hoping to do the marathon in?

• Hi Rebecca
    I personally feel that it is not wise for me to set a target time for my first marathon as it may encourage me to set of faster than you should. I am going to take my time enjoy the experience and learn from it.
    My biggest goal is to not be a burden to St Johns Ambulance service.

Should everything go ok I think I would be floating somewhere around 4 hours mark.

got a horrible cold at the moment though, feel really rotten

• Hey Squeakz....... join the club. I thought this forum was for sharing!!!image

Glad you said cold and not man flu!!! Seriously i am coming thro my cold now... am more than anxious to run again but have told myself not until friday at the earliest... felt really crap all weekend! A long run would not help the cough right now!

I agree.. i refuse to set a time....the first time is about actually getting round! Not that i plan for there to be another time!  I think the weather on the day will determine my time....could do with light rain.

Hope you feeling better soon.... dont run till you do.. you may clock up the miles but believe me it does nothing for the confidence!!

MM

• Hope you start feeling better soon mattys mum.

Im on a 18 week schedule and missed my first run today, im not to worried about it at the moment as it was only 3 miles but tommorow im supposed to do 10 miles which does bother me, Im not sure what to do for the best at the moment.
    I am really down in the dumps.

• Hi....i was on an 18 week but started a week early cos i just knew i would get some virus!

Last week i kept up with the 3 and 4 mile runs but felt awful. I gave up at the weekend... no way i could run 11 miles. Heathrow... Bracknell... me thinks its the same lurgy! its not spread out to the others yet!

I thought i can either just carry on this week or i can repeat the week which is what i am gonna do..what with the snow as well i feel i need to build up rather than straight in at 12 miles.Be positive it is probably only gonna be one week at the most.... I`m sure if you miss you can just carry on where you should be.

Having said that i have been VERY grumpy so i sympathise. On the plus side we wont get it again!!!! I am tons better now... could possibly run tomorrow but gonna make sure i am totally right.

image u will be running in no time

• Hi Sarnie and Rebecca - welcome image

Sorry to hear about your viruses Squeakz and Mattys mum - I work in the health service and we are seeing tons of it right now. Some have it really bad this winter. Glad you are getting over the worst of it Mattys mum.

Squeakz, I agree that you are much less likely to get it again and now is a good time to get it over with.

Interesting views about target time. This is my first marathon having started running last April and not having run a single race at all yet. My target time started at 4 hours - as this seems to be an average runners goal but over the last few months it's clear that my legs are just not going to be up to that. I think something around 4:30 is realistic and as I have said before 4:26 is the average time taken by blokes of my age - so anything better than that would be great.

Personally I find that the target time helps a lot with the training in terms of knowing what pace I ultimately need to be able to maintain for the duration. I think not having a miles per minute pace clearly worked out before hand is likely to result in me setting off too fast.

By the way, I learned this week why you should run long runs at a minute slower than your intended race pace. Trying to run this Sunday's 8 miler at 10 miles a minute has left me completely knackered image

vds
  • Hey All!

Am back from Italy and just about over the same virus that a lot of you seem to have had. My first week of my official plan didn't go well due to illness and being away. I managed two miles last Monday, tried to do a run on Wednesday before I went away but within half a mile I felt awful. When I got to Italy I managed about 5K, although it was a v hilly one! I've started this week well by doing my 4m run yesterday even though I had spent most of the day travelling and it was freezing when I got back to the UK!

Before I went away I went to get some new trainers, but am just waiting for my size to come in stock at my local running shop. One thing I'd been curious about was compression tights/calf guards. They were on sale at 10% off so I got myself a pair. I intend on using them mainly after long runs, I wore them on my hilly run the other day and I'm sure they stopped my legs getting too tired.

I don't mind what time I do it in, just want to complete it! I plan to run Bath Half in March as prep, although I have done a few half marathons a few years ago. I suffered with Plantar Faciitis, so am eager my training doesn't make it flare up. My mantra is "Slowly, slowly, Catchy Monkey!". Oh and even though I was lucky enough to get a ballot place I'm going to run it in aid of the Alzheimer's Society.

Good luck to everyone. We'll all get there, one step at a time!

• hi rebecca , vds and everyone

rebecca it sounds like we are doing the same times aswell as the same programme, am hoping to do 11 on saturday

i am just hoping to finish without any injuries but if i can do 10 min miles i would be the happiest person,

i have invested in compression socks cause my calves always seem to be the first thing to niggle, have heard good things about them and how they help keep off injuries and aid recovery faster as well, we shall see and will keep you informed,

• so managed out for my first run of the marathon training plan, regardless of still feeling a bit congested. I sometimes find it strange on training plans that at the beginning, things can be a bit of a step back. days 1's workout was a mere 30min easy run, so no problems at all. However, it does ramp up very quick, in a few weeks I'll be on to 30min hill intervals, 2hr long runs, 40 min tempo runs . . . .

After looking at loads of different options for water/gel belts I made a purchase yesterday. On the actual race day I'm not too fussed about having my own water, I think the water stops will be sufficient, I was more concerned about training runs. So decided against the SIS marathon gel belt, because I would still have to carry water.

So i bought a belt from decathlon (PS i only discovered this store recently - its amazing! good quality and really reasonably priced. got a ronhill running top yesterday for a fiver). Anyhow, their own brand running belt is a tenner, It has two 260ml bottles , two zipped compartments and elastic belt holders to hold gels. seems quite comfy - I realise that in a 4 hour run 520ml still might not be enough but I felt this was the best option I've seen.

Anyhow, enough rambling on about running - I have studying to do and I am simply procrastinating! Stuck at my desk today then off to a spin class today.

Hope everyone has a good day, esp if you're training!

• Hi Sarni, how were your legs after the 9mile run? I took a rest day on Monday then did 5miles last night. Took me a while to get into it as my legs felt really heavy for the first two miles. My right leg is still aching today but im going for a steady 5mile run again tonight and then lots of stretching after.

vds - this will be my first marathon and i would love to do it in 4hours but that means 9min miles which im not sure my legs can handle. I did a 9mile run on Sunday (furthest distance yet) and worked out to be 10.40min per miles, felt comfortable running at that pace so I may try and do 10min miles for the Marathon. Fingers crossed!!

• Hey all,

Rebecca I did a similar pace to yours for my 8 miles at the weekend - averaged 10:45, but found my first miles were the slowest and was running more at 10:30 for the last couple of miles.  Weird! Would also like to try 10 min miles for the marathon.

vds - I agree - I think its really useful to have some target pace/time to aim for otherwise it would be all too easy to set off too quickly.  I think as long as its the time is used just as a guide and you appreciate that maybe things won't  always go to plan on the day (especially if its really hot!) then its fine.  Keep your pace down on those long runs though!

Last night I did 4 miles with 2 at 9min mile pace - went ok.  I'm supposed to be doing 800m reps tomorrow, but not sure what kind of pace to do them at.  I tried using the RW pace calculator, but got a bit confused as to which time from it I should be using?

Starting to get quite scared now that the marathon is actually 'this year' image

• hi rebecca

the legs felt a bit heavy the next day but ok, did 5 miles tonight including 2 steap hills and lwft calf is very tight, i keep stretching but no ease, hopefully the compression socks are gonna help ease the pain, gonna rest tomorrow but will visit gym for hour or so even if i just stretch,

i am following the runners world training but very loosely, it says i should do 4 miles tomorrow but you have to listen to your body, the way i see it is that as long as i increase my long run on sat or sunday to get mileage up and manage it without too much pain then thats what counts,

• I found that running with compression socks increased calf tightness for me as by nature they have to be tight to compress and function as intended which in turn can restrict movement of the calf.
    I personally found that they were better to wear during recovery after a run rather than during it.
  • I'm also "loosely" following the RW training schedule. I did have a planned - albeit rather hopeful - finish time of 4 hours BUT my training so far suggests I may be nearer the 4.30 mark. I guess I'll know nearer the time what pace to set myself but like many other others on here it will be just amazing to finish.

I'm thrilled that my back is better and I've returned to training. I've also invested in some compression leggings because of sore legs. I'm waiting for them to delivered but at least it makes me thankful of the dark mornings (when I tend to run). Not a pretty sight!! I will also try them for recovery Squeakz.

Hope you all recover from your various ailments. A tempo run home from work for me tonight!

• YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!! image After 6 days no running it feels sooooooooooooo good to have been out for a run!!! Only went 3 miles and slower than i would normally but wanted to make sure i was ok b4 i ramp it up to 11/12 on sunday! Am so happy.... being asthmatic colds/virus present an extra challenge! but my breathing was fine..... can stop being miserable now!

who was it who had the yak trax for xmas.... cant be bothered to look back thro this......am thinking of getting b4 the next lot of snow comes......any guidance on sizing.. i hear its a bit weird

Squeakz..... how r u? Feeling better?

• I went for a 5mile run last night, knee started to hurt on my right leg after about 3miles, had to jog really slowly for about a mile imagegoing to run on the treadmill tonight so it wont be so hard on my knees. Really dont want to get an injury when there is only 14 weeks to go!!! Eeek not that long at all!!

Does anyone use Garmin forerunner 205 watch? I ordered one on Amazon and should arrive tomorrow, excited image

• well th eknee pain i have has been diagnosed as tight ITB band image saw a very good sports pyhsio who has completed the london marathon 3 times in very very decent times ! he says will take a lot of stretching and limited me to 3 mile runs at the moment , the massage he gave me though bought tears to my eyes !! managed a 3 mile run today but was very painful half way round but carried on and glad im back running , hope everyone else is getting ok .
  • hi matty's mum - I had some yaktrax for christmas and thought they were brilliant.  I had a small pair and i'm a size 5 - they were the right size. Not sure how the other sizes come up though.

ps glad you made it out for a run!

• Good to see you made it out Mattys Mum
    Im feeling OK but im not doing anything untill the weekend when im due to do 11 miles as I want to make certain im up for it.

• Good to hear that you are feeling better Squeakz and mattys mum.

Knee pain is a tricky one - I think there are lots of possible causes. When I started running last year I reliably got pain in my left knee at around the 5km mark on most runs. I think in my case it was because I tended to land on my heel rather than my mid foot - tried changing my technique to more mid foot striking and the pain has not returned.

I use a garmin 205 too Rebecca - used to have a 405 but the battery died just as the warranty ran out. I find the garmin connect website to be really useful - particularly the calendar view as it becomes very clear when you look at it if I have slacked for a few days. Remember to change the default privacy settings on the website though as otherwise anyone can see your runs and potentially figure out where you live!

Anyone else find that week 2 of the runnersworld 4:30 schedules is a big step up from week 1? Tried the interval session they recommend yesterday which involves 2 x 1.5 miles at 9min/miles. It was pretty tough!

Little N - does your new forum avatar mean you see yourself as a running wine bottle? image

vds
  • vds - I also have found the second week of the RW schedule tough, I am on a 3:45 schedule, but think they are the same runs with different target times, 2 x 1.5 miles @ 8:04, managed for the first lap but struggled for the second. Think I must learn to run the warm ups a bit slower.

Rebecca - I have a forerunner 305, which I think is the same as the 205 but with the HRM. Best purchase I ever made. One problem I had was not knowing what pace I was running, with the watch a simple glance will tell you. Also can download the RW training schedules onto the watch and it lets you know if you are on track, as noted above it constantly beeps at me to slow down during the warm ups!!!

When is everyone making a big push for sponsorship? Have started with a few friends but thinking of making the big push at the end of January / begining of Feb. Have produced a sweepstake table to predict my finishing time, with a bottle of bubbly (left over from new year) for the winner.

Cosmic