Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

Comments

• Just read a bit in to days daily star.. page four A mum who ran the London Marathon for Cancer Research has dies from the disease. Brave Emma Horton, 35, had no idea she was suffering from cancer when she completed the gruelling 26 mile race in seven hours and fifty minutes on April 17. Her devastated husband, David Horton, 38, from Droitwich, Words, said "Emma was determined to do the London Marathon to raise as much money as she could for the charity" How sad is that..... Another link here for the story http://www.metro.co.uk/news/862707-cancer-kills-mum-who-ran-marathon-for-cause Found her just giving page, im going to donate www.runningsponsorme.org/emmalhorton

posted it in the main forum as well. Poor lass left a 10 year old daughter and hubby

• That is really sad Squeakz....Makes me realise how lucky I am. It's easy to forget sometimes.

MM and FF - I am so impressed that you are eunning a HM already - and FF a PB too!!! Wow!!! I'm still whacked from London and I wonder if I'll eveeerrr recover?????

Alison C -  think I've put on a half a stone post London too!!! I think I need to enter another event soon...

Miss Knees - thanks for creating the events document. I'll certainly add to it!

I also have unfinished business with the marathon (Squeakz - I think you said that???) I really want to enjoy it next time!!!!

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Thanks very much of the excellent advice Louise and Npteggchaser

• Squeakz - that really is sad.  Tragic in fact

Miss Knees - I will attempt to find you all on Facebook just to see what races everyone is doing. Wish me luck cos I am useless with these things!

Also impressed with anyone racing already.  I still can't manage more than a mile!

• Miss KneesMiss Knees ✭✭✭
    Squeakz that is so sad image It's almost a blessing she didn't know though and that it was a quick end but wow what a shock to all her family. What the body does some times just amazes me still.
  • I have done about 4 runs now! nothing more than 4miles,  but takes a few days between each one to feel like going out again! how long will this last?? It is starting to annoy me a bit now!

Very sad story Squeakz, my heart goes out to her family. 

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Well done anyone back racing already and setting PBs... I spent a couple of weeks nursing my legs by cycling with a few runs thrown in. I am back up to about 2 hour runs now (all trail of course! a marathon round London was enough road running for a while for me!) but not racing again for about another 3 weeks. I have the Dartmoor Discovery and the Southdowns Marathon to do in June. Anyone else doing either of these? I don't think I am going to be troubling my London time in the Southdowns race!

That is a very unfortunate story Squeakz.

WiB

• Although I feel for her family, I think it has an important message for me. I think its easier to focus on negative things and the way you percieve things.
    When you look at this example, she did something to raise monet to help others and the lasting thought people will have is her accomplishing the Marathon, and her family will be forever proud.

• Miss knees/Squeakz.... let me know when u r over this way and i will join you at the lake if i`m free!
  • Just entered the Dublin marathon in October....eeek!!!
  • Badbark wrote (see)

I know this is very early but I hoped previous runners could give me a bit of advice in regards to handy hotels in London for 2012.

I’m crossing from Northern Ireland on Saturday 21/04/12 and after the marathon will be flying out of Gatwick on Monday 23/04/12 to go on holiday. I therefore plan on staying at a Gatwick hotel on Sunday night and a hotel handy for the marathon on Saturday.

So can anyone give me any advice on a good hotel to stay in or even what area would be best? I will need to get to the Expo on Saturday and then after going back to my hotel on Sunday will need to get to Victoria Station to catch the Gatwick express. Obviously a hotel with a late check out would be beneficial.

I don’t know London at all so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I stayed at the Westminster Park Plaza & couldn't recommend it highly enough! 5 mins from Waterloo East, direct marathon train to Blackheath.. Within easy walking distance from the finish.. Good luck... image
  • The greenroom has a selection of hotels which offer coach ride to the start as part of the service.. takes away all the grief.

http://www.greenroom.co.uk/sport/virgin-london-marathon-2010.html

• used this service Squeaks and the room I booked was not what I got .In the end I was in a smoking room as this was the only double they had left even though I booked a king size just before Xmas .The restaurant I was informed when turning up to eat at 8.15 was fully booked that night until 9.30 so didn't get the meal I was looking forward to after a long day travelling even though I had asked at reception when booking in at 7.45 if it was advisable to book a table or was I safe to just turn up and was told booking was not necessary .The breakfast was not what I had expected either the only good point was the bus to the start but if that was not offered I would not have stayed as far out as Heathrow

Moan over hope everyone is feeling good I had a easy week with only a few runs nothing more than 6 miles  

• just thought Id ping the thread up. Just did a slow slow 3 miles keeping hr at 140, mostly walk. image
  • Miss KneesMiss Knees ✭✭✭
    More than I've done Chris image
  • Im climbing Snowdon this weekend, looking so looking forward to it, really running well at the moment, I am also doing tai chi once a week.

Hope everyone if keeping well
  • Hope you have a good time in snowdon Squeakz
  • good luck Squeakz. I did that years ago, its funny slogging to the top then seeing the masses up there already having got the train!

Its a slow 5 today! 

Happy healing to all.xxx

• Did an easy 3 yesterday and Im tempted with a 10k on sunday at chatswerth house but not shure yet
  • Had a wicked time, the people from work who came along were by large not active people, there was a few which played football and things the weekend but that's about it, they seemed to find it harder than they first thought.
    I was getting quite frustrated as they seemed to stop a lot to catch breath, but woman with her dog came running past, so I asked if I could keep her company and she said that would be nice so we ran to the top together which I really enjoyed.
    Great day
  • nice bit of hill training there Squeaks image

didn't do the 10k just went for a run did 8 miles and the wind was blowing a gail then it started raining and now my right knee that's been playing up for a few days has decided to give me some jip not a happy bunny as the sensible thing to do would be to not run for a week or twoimage 

• Glad you enjoyed your Snowdon climb, Squeakz.!

Recovery does seem to be taking a long time in my case.  However, I ran for 42 minutes on Saturday and there was no pain anywhere, so fingers crossed I am on the mend.  Will build up slowly.  Can't think about entering any races yet, but I am looking to see what is on offer for later in the year.

• Chris S - Looking at your post it looks like you are training by heart rate. I've been starting to look at this and wondered if you were following a specific plan/approach? I'd be interested to find out more.

Well done with the Snowdon run Squeakz.

FF - I think a lot of us seem to be getting niggling injuries just now. It's a pian isn't it?! Hope you recover soon.

I'm another one with a niggling injury as I've strained a muscle in my lower back - I was a bit silly really as I went from hardly running at all to running nearly everyday the week before last - and my back just gave up on me.

I tried a slow gentle jog/walk for 1 mile this morning to ease me back in. Kill or cure!!!

• Hello everyone, thought I'd pop on here to see how everyone is doing image

Is anyone else struggling with their running, post-marathon? 

I thought after all that endurance training that I'd be flying along in shorter distances, but my legs just feel so sluggish and lethargic these days.  I did the Pier to Pier race yesterday which is a 7 mile multi terrain run across beaches, fields, narrow rocky cliff top pathways, a teeny bit of tarmac and then back onto another long stretch of beach to the finish.  Last year I did it averaging 8.26 m/m pace, and yesterday I really struggled to maintain 8.50 m/m pace.  Admittedly it was incredibly windy yesterday which made things really tough going as we were running into it the whole way down the coast, but I'm still gutted.

I just can't seem to get my legs to speed up, and every time I go out for a training run they just feel niggly and leaden.  I didn't think I was going to feel this way after the marathon, I thought I'd be feeling in tip-top condition, when actually the opposite is true image.

• Hi all,

I've run twice in the last week and cycled to and from work once (5miles each way), and like Shielsy still struggling to feel good whilst running, legs are just not playing!... Why is this taking so long? I have a 10k race in two weeks but have only managed a few 4mile runs since Londonimage I was really hoping to get a much better time at this race than last year having done all the Marathon training, now to be honest I will be lucky to finish it!

• Hi Shiesly - Welcome back!! image

It's a pain isn't it!!  I can't recall anyone writing about a PB recently! I've struggled with niggles ever since London - I think a lot of us have. I simply can't run fast at the moment (never could mind you!! image). I reckon that all that training must have really taken it's toll on us and maybe we need time to recover?? I'm sure it will come back to us though (it must do after all that training?!!) and we'll all be super speedy in no time image.

Hurting my back has made me realise how much I miss running if I'm not doing it (I'm much more grumpy too if I'm not running!!) but I think I'm going to take it easy for a while. I like Chris' approach of HRM training - lots of miles at a slow pace and I might just try that for a while to ease me back into it.

I've got the Redcar half booked on 12th June so I'll re-evaluate then - a pb it will not be though!! 

X-post: Alison C - it seems like it's the same for many of us!!! Hopefully it will change soon??!!

• Hi Alison and NSGNR - comforted to hear I'm not the only one struggling.

I was considering the Redcar Half as well ... I hear it's flat so a good pb course, and I did think ages ago that I'd proably do really well off the back of marathon training, but now I'm not going to enter it - the thought of running 13 miles at an easy pace makes me feel image, much less running it at race pace.

I've got the Blaydon Race a couple of days before Redcar anyway.  I did well at that one last year, but again, I'm not expecting anything fantastic with my legs feeling how they are.

• Seems I am not the only one struggling to run at the moment.

Shielsy - I do think your Marathon run will have taking its toll on your body - you did a good time and probably need to let yourself recover properly after all that effort. 

However, re your race yesterday, the wind can make a huge difference on performance so don't be too hard on yourself.  Head winds do slow you down.  And don't forget we have all been training ourselves to run slowly over the past 6 months so it will take a while for our legs to realise they need to go a bit faster now!

We should probably all forget about pbs for the time being.  If it happens then great, but don't expect one.

• Well done Shielsy the wind was realy bad around Sheffield and there was times when I felt like i was standing still so dont be down on yourself for not getting a PB