Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

Comments

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Well helloooooo everyone image

How are you all?  

I feel like a bit of an intruder for posting here now as I've been away for so long but thought I would check back to see how everyone is doing? It's certainly a bit quieter in here since the Marathon but hopefully everyone is  doing well. I have deactivated my Farcebook account this week - the email from them asking me to vote on how good looking one of my friends was was the last straw so sadly wont be joining the group there.

It's interesting to see how everyone's experiences / thoughts are now post Marathon so well done to all who are keeping going with their running. I can't seem to stop running now, a wee bit worried I am getting addicted image, although I must confess I am not missing the long runs every weekend, my long runs now are between 10 - 13 miles so feels like a breeze compared to the Marathon training.

Anyway, took me about 2 weeks to recover from the Marathon but then got straight back into the training and ran the Edinburgh half on Staurday in 1.40.01image Was gutted I never got under 140 - ran my wee legs off for the last 2 minutes -  but had to stop for the loo at 6 miles so will nail it in Glasgow in September! It didn't help I couldn't see the mile markers but knocked almost 10 minutes off my PB so can't really complain!

Sorry you're not doing so great Shielsy/Alison/NSGNR - maybe you just need a complete break from it for a couple of weeks - my legs were really knackered after the Marathon but do feel great now, am sure it was because I just didn't run - I think drinking a lot of wine / eating loads post Marathon also helped in these two weeks image

Anyway, I have entered VLM next year as I definitely have a score to settle with London but if I do get in I will defer until 2013 as I want to run Edinburgh in 2012!

Take care all and I'll see you around! image

• Hello Miggito image

Well done on smashing 10 minutes off your half marathon pb - that's fantastic!  You may be right about resting up ... I kept on running (including speed sessions) straight after the marathon and it was only a couple of weeks later that my legs just suddenly stopped working properly and decided not to play nice any more.

How's Mrs Miggito and the bump?

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Cheers Shielsy!

I couldn't even face running after the Marathon, I could hardly walk for about a week afterwards - no exaggeration! I guess it's quite hard just to stop when you've been doing it for so long but I think you definitely sound like you need a wee rest or you might just end up injuring yourself. Even when i went back I alternated running/cycling to get my legs back to what I consider "normal".

Thanks for asking about Mrs M & bump, only 4 weeks to go! image She's doing well but getting to the very tired stage now and it's a lot harder this time with a toddler to contend with as well but we're both excited about the new arrival! Running is going to be put on the back burner until end August when I will start training seriously for the Glasgow 1/2, I will try my best to keep fitness levels up until then but not quite sure how I'll manage! image

I'll pop back in here now and again to keep you all informed! Take care, image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Shielsy - I was in the Lakes doing some recce running over the weekend. They reported 80-100mph winds on the tops! Had some interesting moments of being stopped dead in my tracks when I got hit with a massive head wind and being pushed along faster than i intended to run through black sail! Don't beat yourself up over not getting a PB in such windy conditions. It makes it a lot harder. With regards to the legs, mine felt really heavy and sluggish for a couple of weeks. I just kept running on them and eventually they clicked back to normal. Was running yesterday (and aside from severe quad pain from too many fast descents on the fells!) they felt the ebst they have in a while. It will come back.
  • Welcome back Miggito image

What a brilliant half marathon time. 10mins off your pb is no mean feat. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before you go sub 1.40. I should have known you'd be wise enough to take a break from running for a while and then come back stronger still.

I never learn it seems image - I'm having an enforced rest due to some back problems (as a result of trying to do too much too quickly) but I'm on the mend and I'm hoping that the time off will do me the world of good. You never know, it might be a blessing in disguise!!

I can't believe it's only 4weeks until mini miggito is due. How exciting!!! Hope all goes well as I'm sure it will.

• Hi everyone.. Signed-in in a desparate attempt to find my running mojo which has been missing for several weeks now.. Glad I'm not alone!

Miggito nice to here from you fella - I've entered the ballot too, but will also defer "if" I get in, so 2013, under the clock - score to settle. Is that a date then?image

Fab news about the half pb.. gutted for you missing a sub 1:40 by a couple of minutes. Best wishes for your new arrival, get some sleep! 

• Miss KneesMiss Knees ✭✭✭

I heard rumour Miggs was back in town and it's true!! image Good to hear from you and good luck for 4 weeks time!!! How exciting image And you must be doing something wrong on FB and not locked your profile down enough as you shouldn't get all that trash through! But at least you know we will still be here as well so keep in touch, let us know about little miggs image

So most of us have some sort of niggle or ache image I have only a few more days of being banned from running before I test it out and I can't wait!! My butt feels like it's growing by the day even though I am doing other stuff  image But it's not the same as running and I miss it so much.

Well done Shielsy on the wind race, a tree fell over outside my flat it was so bad down here so you were lucky yo be able to move lol image 

Foo & WiB you noth seem to be keeping the mileage up for the rest of us as well, well done on your efforts image You lot put me to shame cos you sound like proper runners lol image

Squeakz, Sounds fab doing the mountain stuff, I'd have ditched the others too lol image Not very nice but you need to get your heart rate going and so don't blame you.

Will see what happens to the knee on Monday so should be able to sort a VIrginia Waters run soon after depending on that image

On a seperate unrelated note I went to see about gettin eye laser surgery on Monday and I'm now booked in for 23rd June and SOOOOo excited, can't wait! Anyone had it done?

• Hey guys

told you he was back!!!!

Virginia water sounds good MK..just let me know when youre going...I`m off there in about half an hour.

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Lol - I had forgotten what a madhouse this place was!

Miss K - you surely now win the prize for the most amount of smileys put into one post! image Is your knee still sore from the Marathon?  that's a real bummer but it was worth it though - wasn't it? image Good luck with the eye surgery, I wear contacts, eyesight is so bad I can't read the top letter on the optician's test thingy! Would cost me a good couple of grand to get the surgery done! Good to see you still around!

NSGNR - I wasn't really that sensible, I just never had a choice. When I think back to the Monday on London, I was walking like I had just spent the night with Louis Spence and  George Michael! Seriously though, I did plan to have at least a week off running but had to have two as I was so sore. Eased myself back in to it and yes, do feel the benefit's now, hope you're back to fitness soon!

HelenB - how are you?!? It's a date - if I get in lol! **gives Helen a big boot up the backside to kickstart her running** Has that Soleus sorted itself out yet? I still get the odd wee twinge and creak but seems to be behaving itself for the meantime! I only missed the sub 1.40 by a couple of seconds - not minutes, this is me about 100m from the finish line trying to break it - can you tell I was really trying lol!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/610181/Gallery/EDIE0887_0.jpg

Mattys Mum- how are you? Feeling better yet? I was really feeling for you after the Marathon so hope the outlook is more positive for you now? 

Where's my old pal Squeakz gone? Are you out there mate? I see you're doing Tai Chi now and running up mountains now - lol! Hope you're feeling better within yourself! PS - I bought a stick lol!

• What time is it?????????

Its miggito time....yeah! You used to come out to play at this time last year...kl that youre back!! Did you miss us.

I`m fine..thanks for asking...nothing too much gets me down for long. Did a half 3 weeks after London was ok - timewise nothing great but i wanted to not hate every minute. have entered a few halves....and yes i did enter london next year but me too will defer if i get in...which i probably will now i really dont want to.Got something to prove.

Well done on your recent half..i like that photo...Anyway best of luck with baby...let us know when it arrives... you may need us to keep you sane then!

Mattys mum....p.s i told them all on facebook you were back and what happens this place gets busy again!!!!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Miss Knees - It has been a pain ful process trying to keep running! I spent a week or so just cycling. A woman at my club has already done another marathon after London. I managed a lot of miles over the weekend and a fast(ish) track session last night. Feels good to be back doing them well... I am off to the Dartmoor Discovery on June 4th which is going to be a tough race and I don't feel too ready for it. I don't want to do any more road races! image then I have the southdowns marathon the weekend after but I will treat that as an enjoyable race as opposed to running myself flat out.

Anyone else got any races lined up soon? I have seen a few people here have already put in some good efforts in other races!

I have also volunteered to marshall a race in July... seeing as i have had 100's of drinks handed to me i think its about time i handed 1 or 2 out!

WiB

• how great ya'll back here!

NSGNR I got 'The Heart rate Monitor guide for Complete Idiots' off Amazon. If you get it go for a UK supplier, I tried a USA one initially and it never came. Im just following the plan in it and with a few extra days off thrown in. Its amazing how slow 70% hr max is but it does gradually get better and I have to say I do feel better doing it. Just slightly worried re ever going what used to pass for speedy before again.

Its easy to read and follow and kind of makes sense. According to it I did all my long runs before too fast. 

Miggito all the best for the next 4 weeks, after this bit, you are more relaxed with number 2 if thats any help. 

Sandra a friend had the laser thing years ago and it was totally amazing, changed her life.

Hm missed the Squeakz report somehow, have to go back.

• HIya gang.. Im absolutely rocking along now, just finished reading a book called Natural Running by Danny Abshire which has changed so much for me, the book just makes so much sence regarding how we run.. I am so enjoying running at the moment its unreal.

Im also loving the tai chi, apart from helping my flexibility and strength its pretty relaxing

Glad to see everyone is still about image

Kneesy, when you get your knee sorted out we will have to hit Virginia Waters image

• Squeakz great to see your energy. Have you looked at any courses for the natural running? I did at one point but felt I would have been too slow, you'd be fine.

Just did a slow 3 but hr staying down for longer so think its happening.

• I've not yet looked at courses, but you never know what I will do in the future, I most certainly don't
  • Hey All!

Haven't posted in a while so thought I'd come see how everyone is doing? I think I lost my running mojo a little bit after VLm, however I'm back to running three times a week now and have a 10K booked for two weeks time. I've also started doing a circuits class once a week in a proper spit and sawdust boxing gym which is good for toning and improving my core image Plus I get to box the crap outta stuff!

Am thinking of entering the Grim in December and my brother (he's not a runner really) is up for doing it as he wants something to focus on to get him exercising. Anyone ever done it? Would love your thoughts on it if you have.
  • The grim was my first ever event and I loved it, muddy messy and completely pointless, it is so funny but never wear anything you ever want to wear again.
    Best event I have done to date.. although I have only done two events.. lol

• Squeakz.....the waterfall/cascade whatever you wanna call it has all but dried up, the punchbowl is past its best but the lake is still beautiful...been twice this week..loved it!
  • I've not been for a while mattys mum, I do so enjoy it as well. I will go again once I have my three peaks training over and done. Im running up lots of stairs in multi story car parks at the moment, not so attractive
  • SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Thought I would check in, so quite here now!! image What a beautiful day for a run, was out at 6 (as usual) and it was just goegeous! I need to get some new sunglasses though, the (free) ones I got at the Expo broke after one day. I know I'm tight but find running with my eyes shut a bit dangerous image

Good to see others looking at doing other things rather than road running, I'm not at the stage yet but my ever competitive brother has done a couple of Triathlons recently so need to consider that!

Squeakz, running up and down multi story car parks, hope the stairs are clean lol! The smell would put me off or may make you run faster!

WIB - my next race is the Great Scottish Run in September, not sure how much training I'll manage to get in once baby arrives in a few weeks but that was the race last year that knackered my knee so got a score to settle with it and it's a nice course, then just got the 10K in October in Edinburgh ( in the city centre so a magnificent experience running around it) The Edinburgh 10K in May 2010 wa smy first ever race, I did it with a hangover so hoping to smash my pb on it as I've not done a 10K since - just going to run as fast as I can and hope I don't collapse! Well done on the marshalling bit, I want to do it too for the same reasons as you, just not sure when!

Plod - good to "see" you - did you get to go to Paris? How was it, a lot nicer than your gym by the sounds of thingsimage

Chris, loving the fact you're still out there running! Hope you're still enjoying it as much!

MM - I'm really glad you haven;t just given up! Good to see you're doing the halves, that will give you your confidence back! I don't want to sound arrogant but I did find the Edinburgh one quite easy lol - never thought I would ever be able to say something like that in my lifetime!

take care all image, will be back  sometime....

• Migg good luck with the new arrival, must be really close now? (it is you isnt itt?)
  • Hello all...glad to see some of you doing great! image

I may be finally be feeling better running.... been out 5 times in last week and last night was feeling some kind of strength back in my legs! image

Gairloch 10k tomorrow night and as long as I beat last year's time of 57:13 (rubbish I know!) I will be okay about it.... I have to be able to beat it after all that marathon training surely? image

A

• Did anyone see Eddie Kidd has finally finished the Marathon after 43 days.. epic effort there for Eddie and the fella raised an incredible amount for Charity.
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

With all that marathon training don't see why you shouldn't get a PB at 10k, good luck!

Miggito - sounds like a good couple of races you have lined up. Its never good having a bad race at one particular event and having to wait a full 12 months to correct it!

• image did it!  beat last years course time and got a PB for 10k of 54:13
  • SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Brilliant running Alison, well done image

Squeakz, I saw Eddie Kidd too, was really inspiring, I actually saw him before he had his accident but what an achievement and inspration!

Chris, two weeks to go now image, I have had to change my running to evenings now as my wife is too tired to get up at 630 when my wee terror of a son gets up (if we're lucky - was 530 yesterday!) Good practice for what's ahead though!

It's funny how running was such a big part of my life a few months ago and now realise it's really not that big a deal and there are more important things in lfe, not that that really stops me image but it's nice not having the pressure of it! Can't wait to start all over again next year though for my next Marathon!

WIB - I know what you mean, although I'm going to have to wait two years to get my revenge on that VLM course!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Nice one Alison... I am running a marathon this saturday but don't think i will be as sucessful as you in running a PB as I ran Dartmoor Discovery last saturday and am still nursing some aches as well as massive blisters!

Miggito - I have stuck in for my GFA place for London next year. To be honest I don't know if I want to do it again though. It was good to experience it but there are many other races I would rather do.

• Thanks Migg and WIB image

It's great that you can run another marathon that soon! well done you ! I couldn't contemplate that distance just yet!  Maybe a half later in the year.... we'll seeimage

Jog Scotland 5k challenge next week  - and hoping for 25mins there.... only 1 min and 19secs to shave off my 5k PB so doable maybe.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Alison - I ran Dartmoor last weekend which was 32 miles. I had a couple of bad weeks after London and did a lot of cycling. Running last weekend I felt better than I did at London. I think I was far more relaxed though. I will be taking this weekends marathon steady though!... I think it is safe to say I have been bitten by it!

I am sure you will nail the 5k.... 2 PBs in the bank in a short time! good drills. Just PB in the half later in the year and that will be a good succession of races for you! I would like to get a better 5k, 10k and half marathon time. I set my half marathon best at the half way mark at London! image

Drop a post on here how you get on with your 5k...

• WIB - how did your marathon go?

I also had my best half marathon half way through the training for London, 1:57:59 and it felt relatively easy at the time.. to better it?..I hope I can. Certainly my wee short run yesterday felt pretty good. Guess will know tomorrow about 7.30pm if back on form or not for sure.image