Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

Comments

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Miggito! Good to hear from you again, I was just looking for this thread the other day and was surprised at how far back it was. How is your running going? Any more PBs clocked yet? image How is the the newest Miggito?

I have been running shorter stuff so far this winter, I have had a couple of good runs at x-country races so far which is good as I had a horrible x-country season last winter! Going to be getting back into longer runs ready for 2012 shortly. After the good experiences at Thunder Run from people here I am sticking my name down for Lightning 12 hour, same organisers but different location and only 12 hours. I might look at the 24 hour one at another time.

Rebecca - There are a lot of plans around, and unfortunately no golden plans! I would suggest look through a few and choose one that best fits your lifestyle. If you can already run to 8-10 mile distance at a comfortable pace then that is a great start, so look for a plan where the early weeks roughly where you are at. Probably better to step back slightly to start the plan than to try to increse your weekly effort straight away.

Some great advice that came from Squeakz on this thread is to start your plan with 2 weeks to spare (i.e - 16 week plan start it 18 weeks out from your race) to allow for injuries, illness and any other set backs. Repeating the last week or 2 wont hurt you at all if all goes perfectly.

The advice from Miggito is good too... jump into the VLM 2012 First Timers thread. There is a lot to be learned from other people in the same boat as you.

• hey guys

OMG cant believe this thread is still going

well since april 2011 me and hubby have been trying for paper and no luck image

i got rejected from the ballot image

but last night i won a club place so i will be running the 2012 london marathon eeeeekk!!

only downside is i broke the same foot i injured marathon training and it has taken 10weeks to heal so all training is starting from scratch!

• paper????? i mean baby hahahaha
  • Hi WIB,

I have only ran about 1 mile since 2nd October as I try to ease off my foot problems. Just being sensible really but a wee bit annoyed I'm not back out there. Did 18 miles again on the bike this morning with some good intervals thrown in so keeping the fitness up but hoping to be running again in a couple of weeks to slowly build up before the training again in January. I'm also a wee bit miffed as I wanted to try trail running this winter but might need to put that back a year, depending on how my foot heals. Good to hear of your exploits though, I had never heard of half of these races you talk about so very interesting and tempting for the future! The wee man is doing great, thanks for asking. Can't quite believe he's already 4 1/2 months but he's been sleeping all night from about 2 months so really can't complain because if he's doing that then my wife also gets sleep, which makes her not grumpy, which means I don't have to tread on eggshells! image

Muppley - great to hear from you and congratulations on getting in. I know you had a tough time of it this year so really wish you all the best for 2012 and hope you stay injury free. I did laugh at the "paper" ?!?! but it will happen, took about 6 months for me first time and almost a year the second time (maybe I was doing too much running and not enough of the other thing 2nd time round! image)

All the best guys!

Miggito

• Miggito wrote (see)

Muppley - great to hear from you and congratulations on getting in. I know you had a tough time of it this year so really wish you all the best for 2012 and hope you stay injury free. I did laugh at the "paper" ?!?! but it will happen, took about 6 months for me first time and almost a year the second time (maybe I was doing too much running and not enough of the other thing 2nd time round! image)

it really got to me the 1st few months but we started really badly arguing and nearly tore us apart now its whatever happens happens and having the marathon gives me something more to focus on xx
  • Im really enjoying my running these days, can't get enough.. good to see you are all rolling along nicely.

Good to hear you got im Mupply, it will be amazing experience for you.
  • Wow! A thread back from the dead!!! Good to see some old 'faces'. Well my update is that having suffered an injury in the build up to VLM this year, I was advised I had 'runner's heel' and that it would go. Three visits to different doctors and a demand to go private saw planta fasciitis formally diagnosed. So I now wear orthotics and sleep with a Strassburg Sock (google it, it is doing wonders for the pain, or lack of, in the morning)!

I have not run for 6 weeks and am desperatley resisiting holding out to the New year to give the foot time to heal. However......

I found out 4 weeks ago that I had secured a place in VLM '12 running for Arthritis Research, an amazing charity, and one personally close to me and my family. So I need to get running again (in my Newtons image) and fundraising too. Why do i do this to myself???

Squeakz, thanks for the tip re rollers on FB. Am looking into them, however my consultant was not a fan.
    Muppley - gwet well soon, get running, and put the 'paper' on hold till VLM '12 is done!
    Miggs - how's parenthood?!
  • Im coming down to watch this year so let everyone know your numbers.
    Im also willing to put up anyone who does not live in London and wants a cost effective place to stay.

If anyone also wants a training partner im happy to do the long runs with anyone around London.... just let me know

So jellous of you all.
  • May well take you up on that Sqeakz. Was thinking of dong one of my LSRs in Richmond Park.
  • Hi all.   Just thought id stick my head in here again!!!!

I've just read the last page of comments, and its good to hear what you're all up to.

I've started the marathon training again......going for MK at end of April.   I'm hoping to take all what i learned from last year, and up the anti a bit now i'm a 'seasoned vet' imageimage

Although knowing my luck it'll be just as warm as London was image , but i can hope for a cool cloudy day!!

• Nearly 2 weeks back into training and so far so good. Managing double figures LSR at the weekends and so the PF seems to be under control. Not sure if that is healing, luck, stretching or the particularly fetching 'Strassburg Sock' I sleep in every night. Google images it if you don't know what one is! I genuinely think this sock is a work of genius and has made getting up so much easier in the morning!

• Just thought I'd bring this back to the top to see if any of the class of 2011 are running this Sunday? I failed to get a ballot place, did nothing for 6 months, then on the closing day of entry, applied to Arthritis Research UK for a place and was accepted. Absolutely chuffed as arthritis is a big part of my family with my mum having RA.

So training has gone pretty well, I feel better than last year and hope to beat 4:53. I will be running in number 34487, bright orange vest, bright yellow shoes!

I know Kneesy is running it again, anyone else?
  • Good luck Phil and to anyone else in it!! I can't remeber my number so I'll post it later.

The tracking service is being done this year againso you can follow runners online image

I'm excited but also pooping my pants image

• Ha! Knew you'd be quick to reply! Looks like I may not be at Excel Wednesday now....

Is there a link to the runner tracker?
  • ;) Well I talk to you all the time anyway so might as well stalk you here as well image

Ah boo to no Excel on Weds, just give me a call if it changes.

No more info on the tracking yet, was just a brief note in their last email newsletter. I'm hoping to find out more on Weds. Just booked Friday off as well, feeling so tired and got told I look knackered (which is always what a girl wants to hear!) just going to relax until the day.

• Well done you two on another brilliant achievement.... It must have been brilliant to do ot again!!!? I loved watching it live on TV on Sunday. It brought back loads of memories and I really want to do it again now....The ballot opens again on Monday. I'm entering....

Anyone else up for it?...................imageimageimage

• And good luck clamshell in the mk marathon this weekend! image
  • Thank you, thank you thank you!! Was blumming painful this year but was a great experience again. Will be in the ballot on Monday but will defer to 2014 if I get it. I'll be running for my 40th that way image

Good luck Clamshell!!! x

• Thanks! I had an amazing day, slahed 40 minutes off my VLM 2011 time (and pb) coming in at 4:10:38 image

OH said no way, never again, but that has since relaxed to 'You can do the ballot, but if you don't get in you can't do a charity place'. Fair enough! Still undecided, not because I don't want to, but because I don't think i can top my time this year, and would like to quit on a high!
  • OH boy what memories! Absolutely amazing for the runners this year, watched on tv, got all inspired again. Was so dissapointed last time. After the Kingston 16 a month before totally on track and then such a crap day on the day! Its conquering the mental side for me. Got upset not finding my son for ages then the walk/run pacer speeded off after just slow jogging for the first few miles. So off we go again. Will do the ballot on MOnday but not much hope there really. JUst how many real places are there after all the charity ones are allocated? So its the asking for money again. Have to play the old age card.....again.

Will keep checking in and try and keep up on the hated Facebook thing.

love to all and congrats

xxxxxxxx

• Hi Chris

If its any consolation, I thnk last year was way harder than this.  Better weather made it more tolerable and more enjoyable, although still a bit too warm!

Go for the ballot, you have nothing to lose!

• Hello peeps! I've missed you all...

I'm entered for Brighton next April. Anyone else fancy 26 miles by the seaside?image

• Well done Helen! I have just entered the London but don't hold out much hope.....
  • Just entered the ballot for 2013 VLM, fingers crossed?!image
  • Fingers crossed for you Phatboy & Eggy!

Brighton application was easy, paid my £55 & I'm in.. No ballot.. Jubbly! Nice & close to home so I can sleep in my own bed the night before & eat porridge from my own bowlimage...

All sing along now....."Oh I do like to run beside the seaside, I do like to run beside the sea...."

Husband not happy.. Aparently being a Marathon Widow is Inconvinient because he occassionally has to cook his own meals...And, I quote.. "There's so much hanging around and waiting on the day".. So, have resolved to run faster.. poor, poor hubby all together now... Ahhhhhhh

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Lol - just noticed this thread come alive again!! Nice to see everyone again and good to hear what you are up to! I've just recently pulled out of Edinburgh for various reasons but without boring you I had fractured a bone in my foot (playing footabll of all things!) and it's not really healed properly so not running at the minute! I had been trying to run but realised I was never going to make it (guessed I learned something from Londonimage)

Anyways, I am now hoping I will be super fit by the end of September when I will hopefully be running alongside Nessie (I promised myself I would try to do one Marathon a year until I'm at least 50 image)

I'm in for VLM next year anyway as I deferred this year and looking forward to it already! Hope all you guys applying get in - was a nice feeling getting the Congratulations magazine through the letterbox!

Helen - Brighton - Good Luck!!! It's on my hit-list, will be there in a few years!!

Well done Phil and Sandra! I'm extremely jealous you now have 2 VLM medals compared to my 1 image PS. Sandra, I am planning running NYC for my 40th in 2014!! Should be fun image

• Chris & Darren fab to see you in here and Helen you've got me tempted with Brighton now. Have to look into when it closes as I need to stop spending so much money on these damn races at the moment image If I have a couple of months I might sign up then.....

Miggs good to here from you!! Sorry about the foot but you'll be back which is a good thing. If I'm not running next year I'll definitley be at 23.4 mile marker with my run club so will be cheering on anyone on who gets in image

NYC sounds so much better for a 40th but I like the idea of home grown torture image If I'm going to NYC....I'm drinking cosmopolitains alllllll day and not running image 

• Miggito .. Hellooo... Older & wiser eh.. image sorry about the foot & standing you up under the clock. Best of luck for Nessy - Sound spectacular. I'm officially jealous!

Miss Knees - Brighton usually gets full just after the VLM ballot is announced surprisingly enough, although it's getting more popular I hear... It was that or my home town Marathon - The Beachy Head. I've walked that, it's a killer. Brighton it is..image    I'm with you & on the Cosmo's..

Am running Brighton with my running buddy (not Reg.. He's retired due to congenital laziness & conspiracy to injure) She is terrified.. quite funny really all those familiar old neuroses!  

TTFN...

• It's just the waiting of a ballot place e-mail now, it's doing my head in!!!! If I remember rightly it was about 9-10 days afterwards that people found out if they had a ballot place or not. I see most people have continued to post on this forum, can't fault it, unfortunately I've let it go a tad, although I occasionally post on the FB page.

I was on a right downer from October onwards after I didn't get in for 2012, I sort of lost my 'mojo' for running and took a few months off concentrating on volunteer football coaching my local side in Newport. Begining of the year though, I decided to go for it , running 2-3 times a week and enjoying it, been in a couple races so far, even the missus has started, well done that woman! Looking to do a few more races by the end of the year, the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge in London, 5.6k [?], Magor Marsh 10K in Newport, Cardiff half and hopefully the Weymouth 10 miler.

Have had a couple of injuries which of course gets you down, but you've just got to get on with it and dig in. Hope to keep it touch with everybody again, plus I'll see if I can upload a photo to my profile, having trouble with it at the moment?

Other than that, off to Wembley next Saturday [May 12th], along with the mini-football team I coach to see our local side Newport County take on York City in the FA Trophy Final .

ATB to everybody.

Npteggchaser

• Anyone interested in a West London Half Marathon there is the first ever Ealing Half on 30th Sept image

http://www.ealinghalfmarathon.com/