Weight loss name and shame (or congratulate!)

Comments

• Afternoon all

Well got out for the run went for the keep going till I’d had enough today which would off ended up being 10 miles had i still not been 3 miles from home the first 10 miles went OK i managed to keep the pace between 9 and 10mm miles excepted once

But by that time the heat was getting a little too much and i walked and ran the last 3 pace slowing to over 11m/m for the next 2 and over 13 for the last one but that was mainly uphill well that’s my excuse any way

The whole thing took 2:17:24 with an Avg pace 10:20m/m jumped straight in a cold shower to cool me down it then took me 2 hrs to get dressed as it was 2pm when i started lead down on the bed to put my shock on and the next thing i know its 4pmimage

• 11.33 miles in the heat this morning, thought the route was going to be a bit longer but it was enough for me. Hydration belt worked out fine, tried it on Saturday and wasn't sure at all, but after a couple of miles got used to it. Also got a new pair of sunglasses and they turned out to be comfortable as well. Run took 1:45, I think I lost 4.5lbs in sweat!
  • Well done to everyone who got out there for a run, long or short, this weekend. I managed 5 miles yesterday morning and found it way to warm. Really don't like running in the heat.

Today is the first day of my marathon training programme, which means there are only 18 weeks to go. Gulp. Today, I have to run the grand total of "0" miles - I could get used to this image

Not sure why or how, but I managed to put on a couple of pounds this week - despite running 25+ miles and eating pretty well. Must be one of those things...

• Words - ditto what you said, I am so not good running in the heat image I managed 5 miles at 8.30 Sat morning and thats it over the weekend.  Had a lovely BBQ Sat and Sun evening and just lounged in the garden.....bliss

Well done everyone else getting out, you really do put me to shame image

• Good morning all, just thought I would check in and update on my runs, all feels a little insignificant though when I see people running 10 and 11 miles! image

Saturday AM was a 4.5mile run with a pace of 10'01per mile.

I didnt run yesterday so went for a swim to try and cool down and at least ensure I was doing something.

Started this morning with 3.13mile run at a pace of 9'38per mile.

I am currently using the Nike+ app on my iphone, can anyone reccommend anything else or is the Nike app worth sticking with?

I also weighed myself yesterday on the scales at the gym, wasnt pleasant so that plan is to weigh in again in 2 weeks time and note down the loss (hopefully) in lbs.

• David - I use Endomondo, which does the job for me. I've also used MapMyRun - which is also good. All comes down to preference I guess. Good work on your run!
  • I was 159lbs this morning, which I think is my lowest so far (on the way down, lol), I was pretty good last week, except yesterday when I had a couple of monster slices of pavalova!  Also, I totaled 33.5 miles last week, which is a personal record.  I wouldn't be surprised if the low weight was down to water loss in this heat though.

Good luck with your plan Words

Booey - don't beat yourself up, it is seriously warm out there.  Can you get out early in the morning?  It's probably worth even doing a short run to stop you getting into a rut.

David - I think the phone-based systems are much the same, and are definitely worthwhile to keep track of your workouts and help with goals and motivation.  The GPS in the phones are a bit of a weakness I think though, can't beat the Garmin IMHO, but at the end of the day a stop watch is really all you need!

I need new trainers, thinking of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12, anyone using them?

• Afternoon all

just 3 miles for me today had to take the car to garage so drove there and ran home daughter came down on Saturday as it was here birthday last week as it was here birthday she got to choose the food and so it was a BBQ on Saturday and pizza for dinner Sunday so not worried about the weight this weekend

• Well its clouded over here so running tonight looking good image have a thing going on another thread on the forum about how much mileage we complete this month, I said I would try and better my best of 79 miles image I was doing fine until the hot weather and now not so good image upto yesterday I had done 65 so I have 4 days to do 15 miles image I know that sounds easy but it depends on the heat image image 

• morning all

well hoping the car get fixed today although it will mean a run to the garage to pick it up if not i am on the bike again to work as i was tonight it's a nice 3 miles each way so with the 3 i ran earlier that a grand total of 9 miles for me yesterday

Booey i have to say your 65 put me to shame image

• Well I managed 3.44 miles last night about 8ish and it was very pleasant image 11.56 to go haha image

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I started off at 225 lbs. 3 weeks in to my training and I am down to 216.6lbs having dropped 3.5lbs in the last week alone image Happy!

I am following the couch to 10k walk run plan via an iphone app. I am also cycling on my mountain bike 2-3 times per week both offroad and onroad.

I think the most important thing is that I am eating healthily - avoiding excessive sugar and carbs.. Have mostly been eating grilled chicken and salad or tuna salad. Have to admit it is getting a bit boring. I am not super strict.. e.g. I do put some salad dressing on it etc. I figure that this way I am not on a fad diet - and the way I am eating i sustainable over a longer period of time (forever?). I also eat what I want and as much as I want 1 or 2 days a week - on the weekend basically. I would prefer this to be one day a week but it's not always possible. I don't beat myself up over it - again, this makes it feel like a lifestyle change rather than a diet.

I have entered a big bike ride in Setempber, a 10k in October and the london marathon next year. I will squeeze a half marathon in there around november too if possible. Having plotted my current weight and my weight loss target over time in Excel I can see how much I need to lose each week. I can see my impending runs/ride and I can see that I must not slack or i will be in trouble come the ride/runs. Having these weekly goals and a reason to achieve them is massive. It is the SINGLE biggest thing keeping me on track. 

• Amir well done on the weight loss having a weekly traget sounds like a good idea and from your post it looks like your approching the whloe thing from the right angle

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Toby - thanks image The enouragement really helps too image The main reason I posted was in case someone else in a similar position benefits. 

• Hey, Booey - hope you make the 80miles for the month. That's good going! I just checked and was surprised to find that I'm on track for 101 miles for May - gobsmacked!

Toby - hope the car's OK. Wouldn't worry too much about the pizza...

Amir - your diet plan sounds sensible, and it's great to have some goals between now and next Spring to keep you on the straight and narrow. Congrats on the weight loss - sounds like you're really motivated at the moment too, which is obviously going to be a real help!

First run of marathon training this morning. Just a 5k, but somehow it felt more energising because I knew I was starting my build up to Berlin.

Bit cooler today as well, so the running was a bit easier...

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

That works for me.  Tomorrow is my 10th weigh in, but I check each day, and know how much i'm going to at least loose this week.

i'm on for another 3 lbs loss, maybe even 4, but with 3 it takes me to 30 lbs in 10 weeks.  I did a spreadsheet and decided in a perfect world i'd loose 1.5 lbs per week for a year. 

So I have the spreadsheet with all this in and I noticed that if I get 9 weeks ahead i'll be at my normal bmi target by Xmas.  So i've been working hard to get at least that far ahead, and i've actually managed to double my planned loss so far at 3 lbs per week, so 30 gone so far another, another 45 to be in fantasy land 9st 13lbs but to be honest I think at 11st I would actually look skinny as i'm built large and just don't look as heavy as I actually am. 

Sorry, i'm waffling.. my general point was I agree with Amir, targets are crucial to keeping me going, I have a weekly target, i set myself lots of mini targets as well.

• morning all ran back up to the garage yesterday to pick the car up so it's all fixed for the moment pity my bank balance isn't now Oh well had to be done

haven't had a chance to do a gym session this week so may well do one today

• Glad you got your car back, Toby - enjoy your workout!

Booktrunk - congrats on the weight loss. I know what you mean about looking skinny at your target BMI - mine would take me to below 13st (I'm 6'3" and also built large) - I look like a prisoner of war if I get anywhere close to 13st 7lbs, so I think I'm aiming to get down to 14 - just a stone to go...

8km/5miles this morning, and just about to head off to Poole. Hoping to get a run round the harbour tomorrow - looks amazing.

• Oops image didn't run last night image still got 11.56 miles to do in 2 days image I am going to try image

Words - thats great monthly mileage image cant wait till I hit the 100 image trouble getting to 80 at the moment image haha  I think we are heading to Poole next week or that way, OH windsurfs in the harbour, its beautiful there image

Amir - well done you image I think your plan sounds great and as long as you dont take away all the luxuries you will be fine image

Toby - glad the car fixed but ouch to the bank balance

• Morning all,

I had the day off work yesterday so tied up a few loose ends in the morning and then in the afternoon went for a run.

Thought I had better step up the mileage a little from the 3 & 4.5's that I had been doing so I managed just over 6 miles in 1hr2mins. That was going at a gentle pace, I didnt really feel tired or like I had to stop but was conscious I was starting to feel the strain a little.

Sore knees and hamstrings this morning, but I feel good for it.

I am going to do a parkrun on Saturday am, try and work on speed a little over shorter distances.

Good luck to everyone with their running and weight loss!

• Played some squash last night, regretting it now; put my back out, at home in agony image

Hope I don't have to take too much of a running break!

• OK I have messed up somewhere with my mileage and need to do 7 miles in these 2 days to hit target image phew thats better than 11.5 not sure where I went wrong but fetch results are showing total mileage this month 73 image

Am sure I can manage 7 miles over today and tomorrow image

• JLB - oh know image thats rubbish, hope you soon be ok

• JBL3 sorry to read about your back hope it gets better soon

Booey that good news on the mileage

• morning all

well got the gym session done with a 3 mile run on the treadmill used it as kind of a fartek session walked the first 1k jogged the next then flat out for half a k then walk for the next and repeated the last part

• Did club run last night (Run England Group) 3.2 miles in the hot rain and it was reather pleasant image so with tonights run it should see me clear of the 79 image phew

Toby - you use your treadmill quite alot, do you get bored and hot image

• Hi Booey the treadmill is in the garage and wev'e cheat by setting up a portable TV and DVD player so i tend to watch a DVD when using it and as long as i leave the garage door into the house and back garden whenit's really hot i don't get to hot mind you in the winter we have to bring it into the house as the garage get far to cold 

• I'm too embarrassed to admit what I weigh... but reading some of the other threads, 13stone feels a long way off. I've lost half a stone so far and have been run/walking for a while now.  I orginally started in Jan, giving up smoking and going out in the snow, but managed to injure myself by thinking I was 10 years younger than I really am, but have been going with a group for 4 weeks now, and can run continuously for a whole 11 minutes!!!

I'll post my weight loss on here, but not ready to admit how heavy I am!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I know what you mean, but to be honest. this is my first diet and i found i was all embarassed etc.. and it doesn't help so in the end i shouted my start weight is 15st 8lbs i'm short n fat image

Once i'd done it the once I realised that's it.  It's just a label, then i could get on with loosing image instead of being all shy and embarassed i've become no i'm dieting have what you want to eat but this is all i'm going to have. I don't care what other people think now. I know i'm feeling better, and my friends / family want a healthier me in the long run.

Now 13st 6 and going in the right direction still image

EDIT Forgot to say so Welcome Chris, set yourself lost of little goals, i find that helps.  Also find a forum either this one or another you like, and each week have a weigh in day and tell everyone on this forum if you've lost or not.  It made a big different to me with my willpower, I found I can let myself down, but I will be darned if I am going to tell everyone on twitter that i've gained, so I have no choice but to work hard and loose each week.

• Welcome, Chris - and don't ever feel you can't be yourself on this thread because it is genuinely supportive. Heaviest I've ever been is 18st 7lbs. I'm now hovering under 15st and want to get to about 14st 4lbs. (I'm 6'3" so weighing less is going to make me look ill!). I lost all the weight through running and eating sensibly - not necessarily dieting, just eating well.

JLB - hope your back is better soon.

5k this morning. First week of marathon training is going OK despite trip to Poole - looks like I'll be there on and off for the next week or so as mum's in Poole General...

On the plus side, 2lbs off this week, which has put right last week's anomaly!

*waves* to everyone