Weight loss name and shame (or congratulate!)

Comments

• Yersinia wrote (see)

@Lix - 52lb? Wow, that's an impressive amount to lose. How long did it take?

Hi Yersinia, thanks!! it's taken me since March 2009 and i got to 'weight' goal (as in number on scale) in Feb this year and since then it's been all about metabolic age and lean muscle etc. Bloody hard work but so very worth it! 

LOVING the inspirational chats and banter here x

• Katy - welcome along.  Tbh I wouldn't worry too much about the milk in tea/coffee as it's such a small amount, could you use skimmed instead if you're concerned about it?
  • Yersinia - I picked up a copy of Triathletes World recently and have used that to devise some more structured swim sessions. 
  • I got some swim sessions off swim4fitness, but haven't tried them yet. I'm more in the phase of improving general fitness than training specifically for the tri - that can come later. TBH, since it'll be a pool-based tri, I'm not deeply worried about swimming performance. Even bimbling along at my current slow pace, I'd be done in about ten minutes, and just warming up for the cycle ride.

But I might try the 3 issues for £3 special offer on Triathletes World at some point.

Katy - my full fat milk says it's 65 calories per 100ml. If you had four 250ml mugs per day, and put 50ml milk in each (which would be 1/5th milk - sounds pretty milky to me), that would be 130 calories per day. If you cut that out entirely, and didn't replace those calories with anything else, it'd make a difference of about 1lb per month.

If you use skimmed or semi-skimmed milk, or if you have less than that amount per cup, then cutting it out would have even less effect.

• Julia T - while we are on the subject of anti-aging products (not that I am admitting to being.... OLDimage), try kimberley sayer - its not available widely retail, you might have to get it mail order or in my case, I get it via my local spa.

Stu - good luck, looks to me you won't need to do much running over the next four weekends!image

• wtnmel - go for itimage I don't think there will every be a "right" time, we as a race are given to worrying and great at making excusesimage
  • Good evening losers, i gave a pint of blood this afternoon, do you think that might make me a pound lighter in the morning ? image

Did 8 miles in the end, very invigorating!!!

Zara i went into Boots in the end and bought a night cream by Dr Nick Lowe, his name keeps popping up in various magazines as being very good plus i had a £5 voucher so i shall see how this goes.

Well done on the run Mel, sorry you are still the same. Maybe it's time to start writing everything down?

Gaza amazing how money motivates us image

Puffin i know what you mean. I lost 4 and a bit stone and because i'm nearly ok, the last stone or 2 take more determination!
    Yersinia and Puffin i, too, fancy a tri next year. Maybe after the Brighton marathon....

Katy welcome aboard, sorry to hear about your Mum. And any dark secrets that Mel has revealed on another thread will be received with interest here image

Brendan did you get any downhill bits with the wind at your back? Not surprised you are tired!

• and waves to any losers not mentioned by name image
  • Evening all,

Julia - how does giving blood affect your running?  I have found that after a donation I lack energy for several days.  All this talk of nice face creams makes me want to go out and spend - but I'm allergic to a lot of them so have stopped trying anything new as it wasjust ending up as a waste of money image

Yersinia - do you know which Tri you're going to do yet?  I haven't got a bike yet so am waiting to get that and start doing some training before commiting myself.  However in the meantime I am considering an aquathlon in January to get used to a mixed discipline race.

My 5 miles turned into nearly 6 as I was enjoying the running with no particular time or route in mind, jsut going with the flow.  It's nice to take all the pressure off sometimes and just go with how you're feeling on the day.  I am also congratulating myself on only having 2 squares of the bar of dark chocolate that's in the kitchen cupboard now and not wanting to dive in and eat the rest!image

• Puffin, I haven't yet decided on which tri. The Duston Triathlon in April is possible if I'm ready by then, or the Henley Triathlon in June.

The running is the part I'm crappest at. And I haven't restarted running yet, as I've had a few hip twinges over the last few weeks.

When I get into it, I do like the convenience of running, compared to the faff and palaver of getting myself to the pool at the right time for my nice quiet sessions.

• Morning all

Been a long hard week at work this week had a rest day on Thursday and meant to get out for a run on Friday but i never got home from work until 5am by the time i got to bed it was 6 o’clock i did wake up at 10 but thought no it’s too early so when back to sleep with every intention of getting up at 12  

Well the next thing i knew it was 1.30 so by the time i got up and had come around it was far too late so i just did 3 miles on the treadmill in the garage instead

Puffin well done on the run it is nice sometimes to i just get out and run i treat myself to a watch free week every so often then as you say there no pressure you can just run without constantly looking at the watch and worrying about the time  

Waves toJulia T

Katy me and Julia T also chat to Mel on the Gulp thread maybe we can trade secrets
  • Julia T - four stone? you must feel fantasticimage
    smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

• Yersinia - the Duston one looks interesting, although it's a little further away than I normally go.  There's one in my home town in June that I plan to do, although I know from seeing the run signs last year that it involves some pretty big hills.

Toby - I can't blame you for sticking to 3 miles on the treadie with that schedule.  Well done for doing something.

Rest day for me today, I have friends coming over for dinner later, I'm at my weekend voluntary work this morning then home to cook and clean!  I'm trying a new recipe from the Times Magazine - chestnut and chocolate souffle cake - I hope it turns out okay!!

• Zara Wood wrote (see)

Stu - I have to say stress makes it way more difficult to lose weight. After years of trying to lose weight while coping with stress, I gave up my very stressful job 6 months ago and it made a *huge* difference to my health. Plus I have found a job that I actually enjoy In hindsight, I was glad I chose my health (somewhere higher) over my career - not an option for everyone of course.

Coasters was very stressful over the past 10 1/2 months and that followed me packing my counselling job in because I felt I was burning out then. Glad you found a job you enjoy Zaraimage

Health has gotta come first, that is for certain. 

Julia T wrote (see)

. By the way, what is the coasters? I'm probably being thick... image

Coasters was just a little relay around the coast of Great Britain I founded and played a major part in getting it off the groundimageimage Great to succeeed but it did take it's toll.

will have to get run walking at least. Certainly will not go for a too demanding job now and it will only be part time.

wtnmel wrote (see)

Stu - I find running de-stresses me a treat - shame about the (lack of) jacket at the shop. I'm trying to get under 15st!! image 

15 stone is a big nut to crackimage 14 stone before coastersimage

• Good morning losers, another pound lost so that's half a stone image When i've lost another i shall get the too tight clothes out of the loft and see if they fit!

Puffin giving blood knackers me out to be honest, i've had to be really careful not booking it too close to a race, i need at least a couple of weeks to recover. Well done for not eating the rest of the chocolate and having a nice run. I did that too yesterday, no plan, just ran for pure enjoyment image

Waves to Yersinia

Toby if you fell back asleep you obviously needed it so it's good you caught up on extra zzzzzzz's

Zara I do, i was taken to the fat clinic at age 11 and it was all downhill from then. I bobbed between 16 and 18 stone right up until 3 years ago when i joined a Curves gym. (i got down to 10 stone twice, once in 1987 to get married first time around and then about 6 years ago. then i gave up smoking....) I got hooked on running whilst at the gym, we did race for life, and now i'm 12 stone 5 and have worked at Curves for 2 years! I feel fab but still would like to get rid of my wobbly belly, as much as anything because i want to do sub 30 5k's and sub 60 10k's! (and sub 5 hour marathons would be nice...)

sorry folks that was a bit me me me!

Stu I did some investigating after my last post, i saw a picture of Barry (? was that his nam) the baton, a little carved chap and i presumed it entailed finding people to carry him around the coast! Must have been great fun but very stressful as you say!

Right off to eat my sweet potato and apple soup now. I made some delicious healthy chocolate brownies yesterday. If anyone wants the recipe just shout and i'll post it image

• well done on weight Juliaimage You will be like Twiggy in no timeimage

yip that is our Barry- it was great fun but a lot of work. I am taking a much lesser role on next event. You could join usimage Health has gotta come first for me. Am pleased I am much reduced on cigs and will soon be off 'emimage

• Stu - Hope you find a job you enjoy as well

smilies/smile_smiley.gif

. p.s. I need a lesson on blogging - how do you copy and paste as a quote? I can see the " symbol when I am writing my post, but I have no idea how to use it. 

Julia T- thanks for sharing. I find such stories very inspirational. I have been fighting my weight all my life as well, but its only the last year that I have consistently stuck to an exercise regime - a lot of which has to do with the fact that I found I actually enjoyed outdoor exercise (the gym was always a big turn-off for me). Great that you can combine job + fitness.

Yes, please, do post the recipie for the healthy chocolate brownies. I lost another 1lb this week, and spent most of the week wearing "snug" clothes that would not have fitted me before - great feelingimage

I know that weight loss gets harder as you get towards your goal, but I am going to enjoy the feeling while it lastsimage

Can I ask how people tend to recover after a run? I usually start off with a 20 min brisk walk to the Downs, then run for 45 min (run/walk), and then walk back  - and it usually takes me 3-4 hours to recover my energy levels (I do try and eat a healthy protein based meal within the hour) - is that normal? or should I be eating something else?

• turns out I have lost the ability to post smiley's as well  - I shall blame it on post-workout fatigueimage my brain just can't figure out what I am doing wrong!
  • ta Zara - I think a 12 til 1pm with an hour lunch would do-lolimage

on the cool down front, when I do get 'round to run walking I have 10  to 20 minute walk at the end-does it for meimage

gonna prize myself out tomorrow and start Bingham's run/walk mara schedule again.Got a yoga CD that is gathering dust too.

• Morning all
    94.4 down to 93.8 a small loss but still a loss image

Well done to other losers

• Morning to all losers, just back from my morning run and felt good, recently bought one of those Garmin watches and have to say, seems to be helping me a lot, recording my times, heart rate etc. Love the weekends as I can get some good runs in and spend time time with the family, but on the other hand, hate them because I always seem to be tempted by the Devil that is called the biscuit cupboard, might have to call the excorcist in today, but must keep strong.

Good luck everyone

• Good afternoon losers, i trust we are all resisting the extra roast potatoes, crackling and apple pie image

Did 4 miles this morning, HR was about 10 beats higher than normal, that's the blood donating doing that i suspect.

Zara i try to finish my run a short way from home so i can slowly walk or jog the last bit then i stretch when i get home. As for eating, if it's 5 or 6 miles or less then i don't bother eating anything extra, still trying to create the calories deficit and lose the excess! But if i run 8 or above then i have a whey protein shake, mixed with milk. Very tasty and the dollop of protein helps the muscles recover.

Guiltlessly delicious choc brownies:

The whole recipe is 1640 cals, i cut into 9 at 182 cals a piece. They say use a 20 x 20 cm tin, mine was a bit bigger and they were not so squidgy as they should have been but still lovely. Store in the fridge for up to a week. ha ha fat chance!

50ml vegetable, sunflower or safflower oil (i used rapeseed)
    150g white caster sugar
    2 medium eggs well beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    50g cocoa powder (not hot choc powder)
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    80g plain flour.

preheat oven to 175 or 155 if a fan oven (oh blast just noticed that, i had oven too hot!)
    In a large bowl mix oil and sugar. add the eggs and vanilla stir till well blended. Add cocoa powder, baking powder and flour, mix well. pour into greased tin. bake for approx 15 mins. A cocktail stick
    should have a few sticky bits when you poke it in.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

maybe Stu, maybe image

Fantastic news on your loss Decamp, a loss is a loss.

Aha I have a Garmin, best gadget i ever bought image apart from my i-pod

• ooh  Julia -you are a tease with Choc Browniesimage

me lost 2lb this week and done nowtimage Gotta motivate myself out for run/walk though.

• Hi

Just found your thread when looking up calorie counting; I hope you can help.  I tried to WW points count but it did not seem to work, left me hungry and felt I did not have strength on longer runs; not sure if WW not very good for people who are very active.

Anyway, thought about going to the good old fashioned calorie count; tried 3 different websites and guess what, got 3 different answers; I want to lose 10lbs and maintain exercise levels.  Website tell me to eat 1686, 1924 or 2300

Any thoughts? 

• hi...my name's Katy and I have a confession...

i didn't say no to the roasties, wine or apple pie (and custard!!!) today...

but i did do nearly 6miles this morning and have been good the rest of the weekend so don't feel too guilty image

tried on potential bridesmaid dress today and the piccies have made me more determined...back fat is not a good look for wedding pics!!

sorry gymbunnie...i have no idea! all things in moderation is my motto (not saying i stick to it though image)
  • My name's Puffin and I too have a confession - I did not say no to the extra wine, chocolate soufle and crisps....!

But I did do 10 miles this afternoon despite a small hangover.

Hi to everyone.

Gymbunny I know there is a formula for working out how many calories you burn just by being, then you need to add on for your normal activity levels and exercise, but I don't know what it is - sorry.

• I think the problem is that there are various formulae that make different assumptions. I haven't looked recently, but I remember having the same thing in the past. Maybe the best thing is to pick a figure in the middle of those estimates, say 1900 kcal, make sure that your diet is also well-balanced, and see how you get on.

If you feel hungry and weak, go up a couple of hundred, or if you're not losing after a couple of weeks, go down a bit.

I'm often horrified at how low some published diets go, calorie-wise.

As for me, I ate very little all day today, saving it up to have a lush ole dinner of roast duck, two stuffings, prunes in Armagnac, mixed vegetables roasted in the duck fat and homemade gravy with port. Then soft fruit with honey and Greek yoghurt and some nice red wine.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/want/t2813.gif

Well worth half-starving myself all day for!
  • Yersinia - that sounds lovely! 

I know what you mean about diet, especially those you read about in magazine, they often suggest 1200-1500 calories per day.  Which is fine assuming you're not very active.  It's difficult balance getting enough calories so that you're not tired and few enough that the weight goes.  Trial and error is probably as good as any other way as your metabolism will play a part so what a formula says is right may not be actually right for you - if that makes sense!

• Of course you can do likewise with Weightwatchers, which is really just slightly tweaked calorie counting.

It's not my bag, but my sister uses it and finds it easy to follow, but adds a certain number of points on per day above what they suggest - I think about 3 extra points in her case. She doesn't really do exercise, and only ever gets a wee bit heavier than she'd like, but still loses weight at a very respectable rate by doing that.

She is, however, the most organised person on the planet, so probably follows what she says she does to the letter.

Just the thought of trying to survive on 1200 calories per day makes me a bit fainty!

• morning losersimage

gawd 1200 cals is surely too lowimage

well did go out for run/walk. Bit laboured and "spitty" but I did itimageimage